Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    perma-glow is intended? why?

Because some people a couple of years back asked for perm weapon glows? I didn't think it was enough people to cause a change like this though.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an RPer, I don't mind this change. When I don't need it in RP, I unslot it. When I do need it, I don't have to recast it constantly.

I'd rather ZOS keep this glow BUT please just add a settings toggle for item set, ability, etc effects.
    - Always On
    - Always Off
    - On During Combat
    Make it so this setting isn't functional in PvP to keep "visual recognition" and I think that'd make most people happy.
    Options
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate that change tbh, no skills should give you everlasting effects, the glow could be switched to only appear when you have 5 stacks and ready to fire, I now need to constantly switch skills when I'm not doing anything just to get rid of it.
    Options
  • Darzaka
    Darzaka
    ✭✭✭
    I literally came here to post this. Fashion is *SO* important to me. There are so many better ways to do this. I, and most other folks, would just prefer removal. But if ZOS insists on having the weapons have the flavored red glow for some reason, at least only make it when in combat or when the user has 5 stacks. I desperately want this to be off during downtime without needing to change my skills every time I port, log, reload, or go from combat to crafting or housing or guild events or anything really.

I'm usually pretty chill about visual issues and how cluttered the game gets. But I think the constant annoying glow is the straw that's gonna break me because this skill is a must, but that glow is AGONIZING.

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Anyone @ZOS_I'mOnMyKnees

Edit: Just saw @ZOS_Kevin asked for specific reasons why. I already mentioned a few. But the core reason for me is that I have 10 outfit slots, spend HOURS on each outfit, and having a permanent red effect causes issues with the visual feel. I now have to match ALL TEN outfits and costumes to that damn glow or micromanage the skill AT ALL TIMES.

It's understandable that I can't manage effects in combat and I expect outfits to go out the window. But when I'm doing guild finances? Housing? Trading? Questing dialogue? Outfitting? Thieving? PvP downtime? Raid planning? Celebrations after dungeons but still in there (think pictures)? The need to micromanage such a critical skill is already driving me up a wall on day one.
    Edited by Darzaka on August 21, 2023 11:09PM
    Options
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe the glow was designed back when you had limited time on merciless stacks so it was important to keep track of it. But now you besically always have the stack and never lose it until you fire it.

Now it would make more sense to have the glow with full stack
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
    Options
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's extra cool when you're using the gloambound arms pack B) Really excited to have to remove grim focus off my bar every time I want to take a screenshot now /s

gylg8vzxssu6.png

I have gloambound staff too and I hate this flying red circle. It looks like I'm running with a laser-guided bazooka

Options
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's one of the best looking effects. I like that I don't have to just recast the skill over and over when standing around to have my classes nice aesthetic.
    PC EU > You
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I feel like someone at zos didn't think this through - it's difficult to reconcile selling us arms packs (and weapons in crates) with a certain effect, that people perhaps build their characters' outfits around... and then having the weapon glow a completely different color because of a skill we have slotted. Maybe a decent solution, as some have suggested, would be for the grim focus glow to only occur while in combat?

People put a lot of work into how their characters look, and spend a lot of money on it.
    Options
  • TheKaan
    TheKaan
    ✭✭✭
    As a Nightblade main since launch I want to add my two cents to this. I love the permanent red glow. Thanks ZOS.

If we want to remove it for a screenshot, we can unslot the ability with zero effort. End of story.
    Options
  • Celticmagick
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

After having Grim Focus in my rotation since I first started playing my NB, I'm having a tough time understanding why the change for this buff to be active at all times? It serves no purpose out of combat. Is it really that tough to activate the buff once every minute? Again, it's now muscle memory and part of my rotation to rebuff.

But, if the always active buff is here to stay it really is annoying to be walking around town or out of combat with a constant glow. It's just odd. It's also distracting from an aesthetic perspective, not to mention it ruins the overall look of our character/fashion. If this is to stay as is at least give us the option to remove the glow, or for it only to become active during combat or when we reach full stack and the spectral arrow is ready to fire.

Returning the ability back to the way it was makes the most sense, in all honesty. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder.... is this permanent glow something requested by pvp players (meaning those who have a problem with NBs)?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

Options
  • Darzaka
    Darzaka
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I wonder.... is this permanent glow something requested by PVP players (meaning those who have a problem with NBs)?

No. PvP main for years. NB main for years. I do not want this. And if any particular person did want glowy effects if critical skills are slotted they would likely want it on all relevant class skills.
    Options
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

Thank you for letting us know you're at least considering player feedback. Here are the reasons I reeeeally dislike this change.

1) I never use any flashy or glowing cosmetics as they don't fit with how I imagine my characters would look or dress. I'm totally fine with other players glowing like beacons, I can appreciate their style choices, but I personally don't enjoy being forced to look like a red glowstick.

2) I didn't spend ages grinding for certain dyes and styles and spending Crowns an arms packs just to have my outfits washed out with red.

3) I use the Gloambound style so it just looks like my character's butt is haunted by glowing red orbs.

4) To be honest it makes my character look ugly. Their face being lit from below with bright red is very unflattering.

5) Grim Focus is such a core Nightblade skill I can't just unslot it and forget about it. I feel like playing as a Nightblade is now completely forcing me to look a certain way, when up until now our characters aesthetics outside of combat have always been a player's choice.

Now, if the glow was confined to just combat, and if it was even an indicator of when Grim Focus is stacked and ready to fire... that would be fine by me, and actually useful too.
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the glow is fine while weapons are drawn since I already tailored my loadout to account for those effects. However, I do think the glow should disappear when weapons are sheathed since many players want to look somewhat normal out of combat.

Overall though, I think the QoL this change has brought far outweighs its cosmetic drawbacks. It's probably the best change to NB this year.
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think my only major gripe with the ability is the loud sound cue when swapping bars which I think is unecessary. It can play once and update its icon but having it play every time I bar swap is pretty annoying after a while.
    Options
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    perma-glow is intended? why?

The affect cost nothing to implement and make it look like they did something..

I look at this kind of stuff as jiggling a set of keys in front of a very young child to refocus their attention from something else.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Options
  • Darzaka
    Darzaka
    ✭✭✭
    1) I never use any flashy or glowing cosmetics[...]I personally don't enjoy being forced to look like a red glowstick.

2) I didn't spend ages grinding for certain dyes and styles and spending Crowns an arms packs just to have my outfits washed out with red.
    [...]
    4) To be honest it makes my character look ugly. Their face being lit from below with bright red is very unflattering.

5) Grim Focus is such a core Nightblade skill I can't just unslot it and forget about it. I feel like playing as a Nightblade is now completely forcing me to look a certain way, when up until now our characters aesthetics outside of combat have always been a player's choice.

Now, if the glow was confined to just combat, and if it was even an indicator of when Grim Focus is stacked and ready to fire... that would be fine by me, and actually useful too.

So eloquently put. This is exactly it.
    Options
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    Making buff effects toggle would be a nice QOL update as i really only like the look of this skill for battle axes...

and if i can toggle visual buffs i can finally have the look i want without missing out on useful skills.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darzaka wrote: »
    I wonder.... is this permanent glow something requested by PVP players (meaning those who have a problem with NBs)?

No. PvP main for years. NB main for years. I do not want this. And if any particular person did want glowy effects if critical skills are slotted they would likely want it on all relevant class skills.

Okay. I don't pvp in this game (or any other any more) but considering the number of whiny posts over the last years about NB gankers, I just wondered. And well.... as an NB main, it wouldn't be you asking for a giveaway anyway, right?

Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main has the stamina morph of this skill, it has been sort of buggy for a long time, glad to hear it won’t fall off once the stacks are earned (if I understand the change correctly, we don’t have the update yet on console).

Seems like having the glow when weapons are unsheathed would be the way to go. Once you sheathe them, then it turns off. Unsheathing again turns them on. Hope that isn’t too hard to implement.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Darzaka
    Darzaka
    ✭✭✭

Okay. I don't pvp in this game (or any other any more) but considering the number of whiny posts over the last years about NB gankers, I just wondered. And well.... as an NB main, it wouldn't be you asking for a giveaway anyway, right?

Understandable concern. That said, I am a mag-brawler, so I cannot stealth as my strongest heal is Dark Cloak. And there already was a visual effect for both Grim Focus being on and for a player having 5 stacks, which is why I think it should be changed to 5 stacks only (b/c I actually liked this when fighting other NB brawlers). As for stealth, the character model is not rendered for opposing players while a player is undetected, so the glow would not show. Smol tip, you can hear Incap before you see it...audio makes PvP MUCH easier
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Understandable concern. That said, I am a mag-brawler, so I cannot stealth as my strongest heal is Dark Cloak. And there already was a visual effect for both Grim Focus being on and for a player having 5 stacks, which is why I think it should be changed to 5 stacks only (b/c I actually liked this when fighting other NB brawlers). As for stealth, the character model is not rendered for opposing players while a player is undetected, so the glow would not show. Smol tip, you can hear Incap before you see it...audio makes PvP MUCH easier

Hey, thanks for the explanations. I'm not often really perspicacious enough to "get" pvp stuff any more (and not at all in ESO, as I've never done pvp here - most I do is go fish in Cyro: 4 master anglers and working on 2 more), but it did occur to me that this might be a "telltag" for someone who had.... issues with NBs in pvp.

It wouldn't matter to me if so - but it WOULD matter to a couple of friends who pvp desultorily here (in other words, not much and not often).

Options
  • hashii
    hashii
    ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm mainly posting here since ZOS is taking feedback regarding this.

I personally like effects that stay on weapons/glowy stuff. However, if others are not liking it, perhaps there should be a setting to toggle it on/off in the settings->gameplay section, something like "Character Off-Combat Effects".

However, I am really loving the effect on my Nightblade for thematic purposes. Looks very cool.
    Options
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades where always secretly meant to become the best healers and torchlight in a group.

After all when you think assassin the first ting that come to mind is a walking light with healing powers!

Don't worry about your melee dps role after all the obvious replacement is already present in a sorcerer armed with dual wielding greatsword and bow!

I'm sure uncle Sheo is really proud!
    Edited by Silaf on August 22, 2023 2:18AM
    Options
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭

this is intended? the game has a huge emphasis on fashion. if it is intended to be always glowing, it needs a toggle (theres many threads regarding wanting toggles for various effects that are off putting in one way or another).
    Options
  • sh4d0wh4z3
    sh4d0wh4z3
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

I think the red glow is an eyesore when it's permanently on. In some locations it can look good, but 90% of the locations in game, the red glow isn't fitting, especially when it's sunny out. Either make it toggleable, combat only, or only when you have 5 stacks.

Also, while you're at it, can the stack counter be reimplemented? I see no reason why it needed to be removed. Now it becomes guess work on how many hits you need to get bow proc which can lead to dead firing it in the middle of a combo or rotation.

These are both the opposite of a QOL improvement.
    Options
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for letting us know you're at least considering player feedback. Here are the reasons I reeeeally dislike this change.
    [...]

Much as I hate to eat my words I'm coming around to the red underlit effect after playing Fashion Scrolls for a bit. It's not so unflattering as I thought...

20230821220508-1.jpg
    20230821224721-1.jpg

I still think it should be optional though - definitely limits what kind of styles look good on your character.

I also feel kinda embarrassed lighting up all the crafting stations like a Christmas tree lol

Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Toggle

verb
    1. COMPUTING
    switch from one effect, feature, or state to another by using a toggle.
    "the play/pause button toggles between those functions"
    Options
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about the glow, I want the counter back.

I can't keep track of light attacks. I never know when they hit.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Kevin for turning an eye on an issue, for me personally any ever persisting vfx aren't desirable if it doesn't indicate something important. As it's an always on ability now there's zero need in indication of anything but a full stack for a bow proc, which would help a lot of people who seems unable to efficiently fight the class in PvP calling for every possible nerf.
    Also it's basically turning off a lot of weapon skin options, be it overriding or an odd flying effect with bound weapons as those aren't showing when sheathed.

So my proposition would be to limit the glow part to the full stack duration for indication purposes, would also be lovely to get the bow proc icon back as it's hell to track nowadays with just sound (that can delay or desync) and golden glow which is almost unseen in heat of combat. As grimfocuscounter add-on isn't supporting new condition (yet?) that can't wait for too long.

It's a mandatory damage dealing ability and would be on most bars so it really should be dealt with as soon as possible.
    Options