Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Winged Twilight Rant

• LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evilspock wrote: »
    ahbnho3uaqbe.gif
    Just another day in Vvardenfell. This is WITH "Limit Followers in Towns" on.

I love that your solution to this visual annoyance is "Let's just destroy a cornerstone playstyle for a class that people love to play because it's visually annoying to me."

Admittedly , situations like the one in that gif you posted are excessive, I agree,

but this thread should've been more constructive in the OP rather than suggesting a class nerf due to a visual issue.

Really the solution is to make the hide pets feature actually work, in my opinion.
    Edited by LadyLavina on January 26, 2023 5:24AM
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP suggested replacing the abilities the pets provide with equivalent skills. That's not a nerf.

Locking sorcs into playing pets is one tho, to the whole play as you want.

And leaving that bird flapping when you're not in combat is just RUDE.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I have suggested that the bear and the flappy be like the netch, no one complains about it because it only stays around for a few seconds and then goes away and has to be resummoned.

Sorc pet owners didn’t want to be inconvenienced with that approach, was the response I got.

It's not just the inconvenience, though that would be a big issue - there's a reason I use these pets after all. But permanent pets are also ideal for solo players because they can take aggro and also help while you're being cc'ed.

Honestly, many of us like our pets.

Since it's just the visuals that bother other players, just ask for them to be hidden in town (in town and out of combat, if necessary). Or re-skinned/re-designed.

The warden with the netch doesn’t complain about having to re-summon his pet. Why are sorc pets and the bear different?

My necro has two different summons, the blastbones and the skeletal archer. I have to constantly re-summon them.

Pets should be handled the same on all cases, especially if they are obtrusive to other players.

The netch skill was temporary from the outset. I've been playing a petsorc for years and it has been a permanent summon all that time. If they changed it now it would feel like a terrible loss.

Edit: To be honest, I'm surprised there are players asking for functionality to be taken away from their fellow players, rather than asking for the actual issue to be resolved - which is the visual effects of the skill.

I guess sorc is easy mode for pets and if you had to re-summon them you would get used to it. It just becomes a part of your skill rotation.

I think it is a small price to pay for the nuisance they cause to so many others.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »
    OP suggested replacing the abilities the pets provide with equivalent skills. That's not a nerf.

Locking sorcs into playing pets is one tho, to the whole play as you want.

And leaving that bird flapping when you're not in combat is just RUDE.

Uh, yeah, OP suggested nerfs.

gzmersy9p9cy.png
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have suggested that the bear and the flappy be like the netch, no one complains about it because it only stays around for a few seconds and then goes away and has to be resummoned.

Sorc pet owners didn’t want to be inconvenienced with that approach, was the response I got.

It's not just the inconvenience, though that would be a big issue - there's a reason I use these pets after all. But permanent pets are also ideal for solo players because they can take aggro and also help while you're being cc'ed.

Since it's just the visuals that bother other players, just ask for them to be hidden in town (in town and out of combat, if necessary). Or re-skinned/re-designed.

The warden with the netch doesn’t complain about having to re-summon his pet. Why are sorc pets and the bear different?

My necro has two different summons, the blastbones and the skeletal archer. I have to constantly re-summon them.

Pets should be handled the same on all cases, especially if they are obtrusive to other players.

The netch skill was temporary from the outset. I've been playing a petsorc for years and it has been a permanent summon all that time. If they changed it now it would feel like a terrible loss.

Edit: To be honest, I'm surprised there are players asking for functionality to be taken away from their fellow players, rather than asking for the actual issue to be resolved - which is the visual effects of the skill.

I guess sorc is easy mode for pets and if you had to re-summon them you would get used to it. It just becomes a part of your skill rotation.

I think it is a small price to pay for the nuisance they cause to so many others.

You could just ask for them to be hidden. (Or continue asking ZOS for them to be hidden).
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You could just ask for them to be hidden. (Or continue asking ZOS for them to be hidden).

I did. Look what we got.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did. Look what we got.

I know, it was a pretty lame solution that didn't really solve anything :(
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see everyone hates the flying rat like i do
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    As a sorc pet main, I can't imagine playing ESO without my summons. In Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, conjuration was always one of my major skills, so I just have to have it in ESO, and there were some pretty large summons in those, especially with mods (though obviously the difference in camera angle and the fact that you are playing with others makes a big difference.) However, I do agree that the Twilights are rather obnoxious to see, though I got used to seeing sorc pets and bears everywhere. I also use the Daedroth monster helm.

I use an addon that dispels them when using bankers/merchants/tables, as to not interrupt others. I would have no problem with them reducing the size of the twilight or letting others hide other players' summons, but I like being able to see my own.

Summons is how I roll; if they removed them and gave me a dot instead, I would probably stop playing or at least play a ton less. I've been playing Sorc my whole time on ESO, and I enjoy the class the way it is; I would think a better solution would be for the "hide pets in towns" option to actually work how everyone expected it to, and actually hide the summons when in towns.
    PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ahbnho3uaqbe.gif
    Just another day in Vvardenfell. This is WITH "Limit Followers in Towns" on.

Giving me Morrowind cliff racer vibes

morrowind-cliff.gif

Maybe if the sorcerer summons weren't so monochrome it would be more tolerable, or if they would land when not moving instead of forever hovering.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s too bad that some people have tried to derail this thread with talk of nerfing sorcs, when what most of us that commented here want is to get rid of the visual annoyance, which for me is 100% the flapping of the Winged Twilight. By Azura, just please stop the flapping!
    Edited by Marcus684 on January 27, 2023 2:26PM
  • Bethgael
    Bethgael
    ✭✭✭
    Aendruu wrote: »
    What I can't fathom is why do folk keep them permanently active? All I know is my FPS tanks whenever I'm crafting or banking; my Third World internet struggles at the best of times, and this Daedric menagerie produces constant lag.
    [snip]
    In all seriousness, when I first started playing a pet class, I was unaware you could deactivate them. It wasn't until I got into housing more seriously and was putting together my witchy house for my dual-pet sorc girl that I got frustrated enough to google it. [For context: I have that beta monkey].

Many (if not most) players are not doing it out of malice. Might need to be A Thing added to the tute for pet classes: "you can deactivate your pet by going to your characters sheet and clicking on it at the bottom." It seems obvious to some, but you can't possibly kno0w what you don't know if you're never told.

Edited by Bethgael on January 27, 2023 2:29PM
    Ingame ID: Bethgael PC NA/EU but mostly NA
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    It’s too bad that some people have tried to derail this thread with talk of nerfing sorcs, when what most of us that commented here want is to get rid of the visual annoyance, which for me is 100% the flapping of the Winged Twilight. By Azura, just please stop the flapping!

Not sure if you're referring to some of the things I myself have said but I honestly wish the visual issue were solved as well,

I just got a little combative because OP wanted to mess with the functionality of a class to solve something that should've been fixed via mostly non-functional Hide Pets setting
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I have been playing this game since beta, I play a pet-less class as a main. How is it that I have never been bothered by other peoples pets?

The obvious answer is that not everyone is like you. Just because you like seeing them in the game and they don't bother you when they are flapping in your face at a crafting station, doesn't meant this isn't an issue for others.

This "if you don't like it leave" mentality isn't healthy for anyone, especially in a game.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah the annual "flappy flappy" hate post. Yeah I agree they are annoying as all heck. At least shrink the damn thing or maybe make them flay higher? Idk something, just get em out of my face all the time.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the annual "flappy flappy" hate post. Yeah I agree they are annoying as all heck. At least shrink the damn thing or maybe make them flay higher? Idk something, just get em out of my face all the time.

The idea of the flying higher part is hilarious to me ,

Just looking up into the sky and seeing something like this

3743hmi9u50k.png
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's worse than useless. It doesn't work,
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought bumpy was better than flappy. It tanks much better.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there were plenty of threads complaining that necros could not summon a permanent pet (skeleton or zombie). That was (and I think still is) a huge complaint with the class.

I would counter the warden netch pet, with the much more popular permanent bear pet.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing this game since beta, I play a pet-less class as a main. How is it that I have never been bothered by other peoples pets?

The obvious answer is that not everyone is like you. Just because you like seeing them in the game and they don't bother you when they are flapping in your face at a crafting station, doesn't meant this isn't an issue for others.

This "if you don't like it leave" mentality isn't healthy for anyone, especially in a game.

Please quote me where I said anything close to “ if you don't like it leave”. I am just shocked sorc pets are an issue. They make me smile personally.

If you don’t like a place that is super crowded, move to an area less crowded is my suggestion, that is hardly the same thing.

Personally I like a variety, I sometimes do my writs where I know it will be busy, sometimes I do them someplace quiet. I have about 6 or seven favorite places.

If you want someplace super quiet. Where you won’t see anyone else, much less a sorc, do your writs in malabol Tor. You basically have the town to yourself.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven this is not a argument, just a statement you don't mind them, in the face of many people in the thread saying they hate them.

So it has really no weight, on its own, and I'm not sure why you keep on about it. Unless you can find a few million players who agree with you, and the other side can't find a few million more who disagree, then this is the place for the rant, not the place for 'go play somewhere else'.

Assuming zos hasn't lied to us about the many million players they have.
    Edited by Pelanora on January 27, 2023 8:32PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven this is not a argument, just a statement you don't mind them, in the face of many people in the thread saying they hate them.

So it has really no weight, on its own, and I'm not sure why you keep on about it. Unless you can find a few million players who agree with you, and the other side can't find a few million more who disagree, then this is the place for the rant, not the place for 'go play somewhere else'.

I don’t understand. Saying you hate them is an argument, but saying I like them is not? And I would also point out there are many people in this thread that do like them. They even made fan artwork about them.

I am just trying to be helpful. I would think there are people here who do not know you can do writs in small towns as well as cities. I did not know that myself at first.

If other people are bothering you where you do writs, isn’t suggesting finding a place that is not so irritating (because it is less crowded) helpful?

•••

I like permeant pets myself. I always have my companion out, I wish NBs could have a permanent pet.
    I heard, at one point in the alpha stage Bosmers we’re going to get a permanent pet as a race, it’s too bad they could not figure that out back then.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    What can be done about Winged Twilights? Does playing ESO mean I have to be innundated with Winged Twilights flapping in my face all the time?

I would like to keep playing, but am sick of seeing winged twilights constantly. They are huge, annoying, always flapping in your face everywhere you go. It really makes cities look like garbage and places you don't want to be. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

In the early years of the game, sorc pets would die so it wasn't a problem. Now they are practically invunerable once spawned, so players keep them summoned perpetually for all eternity. They are all over the place everywhere you go.

Solutions ZOS could implement:
    1. Get rid of pet sorc skills completely and replace with something that isn't lame and disrupting, like cool wizard fireball skills. (Best solution)
    2. Ability to hide or at least change the opacity of other's summoned pets, always
    3. Make the winged twilights not so huge
    4. Make twilights not so tanky, used as crutches that are always summoned
    5. Have a timer or other mechanic that doesn't keep pets summoned forever

They could just make them much smaller and when you enter a town they could disappear from sight.
    For the Empire
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »

The idea of the flying higher part is hilarious to me ,

Just looking up into the sky and seeing something like this

3743hmi9u50k.png

I died 😂 I couldn't think of anything else. I don't believe in nerfing them cause they are annoying but honestly something must be done! They are a great purple plague upon the land I tell you!
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make them little. Like nixad sized
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who keep coming in the thread and offering the 'just hide them in towns' or 'just do your writs somewhere else" as a solution obviously haven't read the thread, especially my comments.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who keep coming in the thread and offering the 'just hide them in towns' or 'just do your writs somewhere else" as a solution obviously haven't read the thread, especially my comments.

Ok I took the trouble of going through the thread and tried to find your comment. So here it is:
    I have actually walked away from the game a couple of times because I get so frustrated with other ppl's matriarch blocking my camera view. At the wayshrine, at the bank, at the crafting area, at the merchants, at the guild vendors, at the door of my house, at any door, at the world boss, inside dungeons, inside delves, inside public dungeons, at trials, inside cities, inside towns, while just exploring!!!!!! Enough!!!

I have to constantly move from where I was standing because ppl park their matriarch right on top of me!

I honestly think at this point in the game's life, the fact that this monstrosity has not been changed just shows that the devs do not play their own game and they do not care about our quality of life. It's obvious.

To me all of this can be summed up as “other peoples pets are getting in my way” no? If not explain how I am not getting this right.

I had already responded to this but I will express it again.

As long as you can click on the object you need, be it banker, crafting station, or wayshrine does it matter if the matriarch is there?

I have been playing since beta and I have not ever had an issue where I could not click on the object I wanted. I don’t know if it’s just the camera setting, or I know when or where to click on some instinctual level, but it has not happened.

Have I been blocked from seeing my character after I click (at a crafting station for example)? Yes. But I usually don’t mind since all of the relevant information supersedes anything else on my screen.

I just have to ask. If where you are playing is so crowded with peoples pets, why do you continue to visit those places that annoy you? Why put yourself through that aggravation?

There are cities where I don’t like how the crafting tables are arranged, I just find someplace I like better. I don’t stay there and aggravate myself.

As for world bosses and the rest, I am just stumped… Do you play melee or ranged? If you are ranged… How is any pet in your way? If you are melee only bears are an issue, the twilight is a ranged unit, no? I don’t understand how they can block you. I play ranged in vet trials with three pet based sorcs… Can you show me a screenshot of how they block you in a dungeon/trial/wb in such a way it’s unavoidable? No pet blocks me any more severely than any other player themselves do…
    Edited by BlueRaven on January 27, 2023 11:52PM
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand. Saying you hate them is an argument, but saying I like them is not?

I never said arguments were being made, i said this is a thread of a rant, about how we wish them gone in SOME way (hiding, shrinking, redesigning, swapping out for new skills, temporary-making) so all I'm saying is it's poor form to say more than once 'deal with them'.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand. Saying you hate them is an argument, but saying I like them is not?

I never said arguments were being made, i said this is a thread of a rant, about how we wish them gone in SOME way (hiding, shrinking, redesigning, swapping out for new skills, temporary-making) so all I'm saying is it's poor form to say more than once 'deal with them'.

Well I am against most of those suggestions. I don’t want them shrunk, redesigned, temporary, or swapped out.
    Having the “hide other people pets” option be more robust is fine with me though.

You have to keep in mind there are people out there that like them just as they are. If you don’t like them, that is not their fault and their enjoyment should not be punished because of it.

Suggest ways they can still enjoy them as is, but also don’t bother you.

EDIT: I just thought of something that might solve many of the issues.

What about when a player talks to a permenant (not summoned) banker, or uses a craft station in a city/town, it automatically unsunmons all permanent combat pets.

I think that might solve many issues?
    Edited by BlueRaven on January 28, 2023 1:44AM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about when a player talks to a permenant (not summoned) banker, or uses a craft station in a city/town, it automatically unsunmons all permanent combat pets.

I think that might solve many issues?

Pets would still be visible if the player is standing there not interacting with anything. They already have the ability to hide objects in certain places, like companions, they should just make it work.