Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Winged Twilight Rant

Evilspock
Evilspock
✭✭✭✭
What can be done about Winged Twilights? Does playing ESO mean I have to be innundated with Winged Twilights flapping in my face all the time?

I would like to keep playing, but am sick of seeing winged twilights constantly. They are huge, annoying, always flapping in your face everywhere you go. It really makes cities look like garbage and places you don't want to be. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

In the early years of the game, sorc pets would die so it wasn't a problem. Now they are practically invunerable once spawned, so players keep them summoned perpetually for all eternity. They are all over the place everywhere you go.

Solutions ZOS could implement:
  1. Get rid of pet sorc skills completely and replace with something that isn't lame and disrupting, like cool wizard fireball skills. (Best solution)
  2. Ability to hide or at least change the opacity of other's summoned pets, always
  3. Make the winged twilights not so huge
  4. Make twilights not so tanky, used as crutches that are always summoned
  5. Have a timer or other mechanic that doesn't keep pets summoned forever
🖖 @EvilSpock |PC/NA| ✦ Guildmaster: Vulcan Commandos |AD| ✦ https://youtube.com/@vulcan_commando
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe they could morph into butterflies when not in combat...much easier on the eyes especially at the crafting tables when doing daily writs.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a option in the settings to disable visibility of other player's pets in towns.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a sorcerer player who hates the sorcerer pets, I'd be happy to see them removed and replaced with normal abilities. Yeah, I get it.... "summoning daedra is apart of the lore", whatever.... they are a pain. They take up two slots, die super easily (even in PvE they can weirdly pull aggro and get stomped in things like world boss fights), and they're some of the most infuriating things to have on your screen in this game. I'd be a little more content if Zenimax would listen to the players that have been requesting a change to the sorc pets appearances for years now.... but they don't. Shocker, I know.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evilspock wrote: »
    What can be done about Winged Twilights? Does playing ESO mean I have to be innundated with Winged Twilights flapping in my face all the time?

I would like to keep playing, but am sick of seeing winged twilights constantly. They are huge, annoying, always flapping in your face everywhere you go. It really makes cities look like garbage and places you don't want to be. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

In the early years of the game, sorc pets would die so it wasn't a problem. Now they are practically invunerable once spawned, so players keep them summoned perpetually for all eternity. They are all over the place everywhere you go.

Solutions ZOS could implement:
    1. Get rid of pet sorc skills completely and replace with something that isn't lame and disrupting, like cool wizard fireball skills. (Best solution)
    2. Ability to hide or at least change the opacity of other's summoned pets, always
    3. Make the winged twilights not so huge
    4. Make twilights not so tanky, used as crutches that are always summoned
    5. Have a timer or other mechanic that doesn't keep pets summoned forever

Every day I log into the game and every day I see all of the flapping monstrosities everywhere I turn. Maybe it’s just my aging eyes but I’m struggling to tolerate their incessant visual annoyance. I’m considering taking a break from the game because I find myself falling into a bad mood the more I have to deal with them.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing this game since beta, I play a pet-less class as a main. How is it that I have never been bothered by other peoples pets?
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I have been playing this game since beta, I play a pet-less class as a main. How is it that I have never been bothered by other peoples pets?

Patience? Maybe your brain doesn't get bothered by their oversized repetitive movements? Everyone is different and have little quirks/tweaks that can bother them. I mean, seriously haha my own pets even bother me; more than others even since they're always right there, bigger than my character, flapping about obnoxiously....
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah ppl been asking for a way to disable other ppls pets to save lagg, disable other ppl npcs etc, companion, but nah man, we gotta put up with this horrible flying rats. And the maw monster set also doesn't help.

It's like i have said before, pick up the flying rat and at least give it a morph where it instead is a flying eye or something else that's small. or just remove the ability alltogether and give sorc a dot.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buy an house and all your needs are set? There's even an house right next to writ pickup boards.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main in a Twilight-using sorc and I get annoyed by it. So I always desummon it if it's not essential. Which is most of the time.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give me a strong heal then
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    As someone whose main is a sorcerer, I sometimes do desummon my Twilight in cities, but not my Clannfear. In headcanon my vestige Argonian & the Clannfear became friends when escaping from Coldharbour.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on January 21, 2023 2:31AM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    There's a option in the settings to disable visibility of other player's pets in towns.

Where is this please.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is this please.

Gameplay - general - limit followers in towns
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use the Matriarch for healing, and the flapping wings drive me insane! We need a completely new skin for it where the wings don't cause seizures.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »
    I use the Matriarch for healing, and the flapping wings drive me insane! We need a completely new skin for it where the wings don't cause seizures.

Seriously, I'm shocked that some people can't understand how jarring the visuals of the matriarch can be for some people. Sometimes even just the sound of the wings flapping can bother me haha especially since she NEVER STOPS; not even for a few seconds. I have veryyyy mild misophonia and I always have to unsummon her when I'm not in combat or moving constantly because if she's just next to me always flap flap flapping away, it can make me irritable and just negatively impact my mood in general.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 21, 2023 3:50AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A very limited option, which doesn't hide other players' pets in enough locations, e.g. you can still see them in banks, which are definitely high-traffic areas.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    A very limited option, which doesn't hide other players' pets in enough locations, e.g. you can still see them in banks, which are definitely high-traffic areas.

That's unfortunate (I don't use that setting, I just read that they introduced it with their last update). I really hope they'll fix that as there's really no reason to have pets visible in banks where normally no fighting occurs.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

Yeah, it was a fantastic idea that was poorly executed. As a petsorc, I was looking forward to the day I didn't have to dismiss my twilight in cities, but unfortunately that was not to be.
    Edited by BretonMage on January 21, 2023 5:06AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s the giant form bobbing up and down in front of my camera that obliterates my view - the flap, flap, flap..flap… the not quite rhythmic but slightly asynchronous action and the loud flapping sound that makes me move away or be subjected to the complete distraction of whatever I was trying to do at that moment.

As I mentioned before, they are a LoS obstruction in trials. I cannot see if the flappy is in the way. I cannot target the boss if they are between my character and the enemy. Why can’t I choose an option to not see them if I wish, all the time? That way the other player can have their pet but it doesn’t interfere with my ability to dps?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Aendruu
    Aendruu
    ✭✭✭
    Evilspock wrote: »

Hear, hear! My very first class was Sorcerer, and my very first addon was Pet Dismiss because even my Scamp annoyed me (I could never bring myself to use the awful Twilight.) Needless to say, I no longer play the class.

What I can't fathom is why do folk keep them permanently active? All I know is my FPS tanks whenever I'm crafting or banking; my Third World internet struggles at the best of times, and this Daedric menagerie produces constant lag.

As has been pointed out, years of frustrated complaints by players have fallen on deaf ears (both of ZOS and the inconsiderate pet owners), and so I've resorted to Bosmer-style stress relief... mudballs!

P.S. lol Many thanks to the kind stranger who clocked my rambling as "Insightful"! I'd never have considered my waffle to be so! :D Much obliged!
    Edited by Aendruu on January 24, 2023 6:02PM
    "So, drinking is a sacrament to Y'ffre... because it's his way of reminding us not to take things too seriously... You know how the other Elves are. Altmer have their crystal towers, and that's how they want to be — cold and perfect. And Dunmer are just like their Red Mountain — smouldering and dark. We just want to have a drink and not worry about it."
    - Regring the Spinner
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It needs to be the size of a butterfly or torchbug.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If nothing else, Spellcrafting would be great to replace the terror chicken with reasonably sized pets, like wolf familiars, flame atronachs or Dremora.

It's not my first choice, but over the last 8 years they have shown an unwillingness to change skill visuals when players ask for it, instead implenting changes nobody asked for (e.g. poop rock and jabs).
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    If nothing else, Spellcrafting would be great to replace the terror chicken with reasonably sized pets, like wolf familiars, flame atronachs or Dremora.

It's not my first choice, but over the last 8 years they have shown an unwillingness to change skill visuals when players ask for it, instead implenting changes nobody asked for (e.g. poop rock and jabs).

IIRC they did change something on "popular" demand once only to be faced with a lot of backlash from a ton of people who liked it just the way it was and since then the rule is to not tinker with old content. /shrug It's hard pleasing everyone, though I can't imagine a lot of people would mourn the loss of the twilight.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    Faulgor wrote: »

IIRC they did change something on "popular" demand once only to be faced with a lot of backlash from a ton of people who liked it just the way it was and since then the rule is to not tinker with old content. /shrug It's hard pleasing everyone, though I can't imagine a lot of people would mourn the loss of the twilight.

You're talking about the updated Orc and Redguard base game styles, I think.

It's not a terrible policy in principle, at least as far as character customization is concerned. But at least we could have had more pet options, like the white warden bear. That shouldn't upset anyone who wants to keep using the Twilight.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would deeply love the ability to hide them, they are distracting and annoying.
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love some fire and ice abilities on the sorc line. I hate pets. Ever since they buffed pets that's all what everyone runs now. I can't find a non pet build for the life of me and it pisses me off.

What's funny is on the little description for role names when you select skills, they say for mag sorc it's harness the power of fire, ice and lightning. Where's our fire and ice line ZOS lolol
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Sorcerer doesn't use any pets and I don't miss them. I just can't stand things in my way all the time. That's why I only use my Companions in situations like soloing dungeons and World Bosses, too.
    PCNA
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Patience? Maybe your brain doesn't get bothered by their oversized repetitive movements? Everyone is different and have little quirks/tweaks that can bother them. I mean, seriously haha my own pets even bother me; more than others even since they're always right there, bigger than my character, flapping about obnoxiously....

I dunno.

They don’t bother me at all. Crafting stations, wayshrines… I have just never had a problem.

There are things that players do that DO bother me, but player pets would not crack the top five.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually walked away from the game a couple of times because I get so frustrated with other ppl's matriarch blocking my camera view. At the wayshrine, at the bank, at the crafting area, at the merchants, at the guild vendors, at the door of my house, at any door, at the world boss, inside dungeons, inside delves, inside public dungeons, at trials, inside cities, inside towns, while just exploring!!!!!! Enough!!!

I have to constantly move from where I was standing because ppl park their matriarch right on top of me!

I honestly think at this point in the game's life, the fact that this monstrosity has not been changed just shows that the devs do not play their own game and they do not care about our quality of life. It's obvious.
    Edited by SpiritKitten on January 21, 2023 9:44PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually walked away from the game a couple of times because I get so frustrated with other ppl's matriarch blocking my camera view. At the wayshrine, at the bank, at the crafting area, at the merchants, at the guild vendors, at the door of my house, at any door, at the world boss, inside dungeons, inside delves, inside public dungeons, at trials, inside cities, inside towns, while just exploring!!!!!! Enough!!!

I honestly think at this point in the game's life, the fact that this monstrosity has not been changed just shows that the devs do not play their own game and they do not care about our quality of life. It's obvious.

I don’t understand. Do you just want to stay and look at a wayshrine? Just click on it chose a location and go. Once the map comes up, the matriarch does not matter.

Same thing at crafting stations etc.

To me this is so much of a non issue.

And tbh I like seeing them in the world, it makes everything seem fuller with more movement.

Maybe it’s not the matriarch, maybe it’s the crowds? Just do your writs in a smaller town?
    I sometimes do mine in malabol tor. It’s quiet if you need a respite.