Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO+ just lost a significant amount of value

• Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    That changed last summer during the Mayhem event, when I gave Cyrodiil a try and saw the epic battles that were going on there. Sure there was lag and disconnects, but those sieges were massive so I understood how that could be heavy on the servers. I quickly realized I'd continue playing Cyrodiil after the event, and it was at this point that I started paying for eso+.
    Now imagine what it's like for those people who were paying for Plus years ago when battles were even larger and performance was better. Cyrodiil population has only seen decreases to caps and worse performance over the years. If Cyrodiil was the only reason why I played (it's not), I definitely wouldn't be paying a subscription knowing what it was like then to what it's like now. I would have cancelled years ago and would only resume once/if they fix it. You're okay with it now because you haven't seen what it was like previously.

I'm going to assume you were also playing on PC-NA, because PC-EU (and the other servers) simply were not playable during the Mayhem event throughout peak hours, certainly not to a degree where I would decide to subscribe because of how amazing it is. I specifically created new characters on PC-NA just so I could play in Cyrodiil because performance was smooth compared to what I was used to on PC-EU (and it still is despite the people saying it's back to what it used to be), and having the forethought that no campaign would be particualrly playable. Things like AoEs actually appeared on PC-NA, in Grayhost, during PC-NA peak times, even despite the ~250 ping. It was amazing. It only made me more disgruntled that they hadn't decided to stall upgrading until they could upgrade all servers simultaneously.

It made non PC-NA servers feel like second class. I understand, our monies aren't a priority for ZOS. Again, if that was the only reason I played ESO, for Cyrodiil, I definitely wouldn't be subscribing.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Q3 won't have any content. It's just going to be bug fixes. There's no way they pay gate fixing bugs.

"Q3: Focus on Quality-of-Life improvements and bug fixes. " Bug fixes and QoL. They can pay gate QoL, but they probably won't. Net loss for 2023 ESO Plus, as it stands today.

I highly doubt that put a required QoL behind a paywall. They might put like a furnishing bag or soemthing on ESO+ but that wouldn't be a requirement to play the game.
    Edited by DMuehlhausen on December 30, 2022 2:13PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q3 won't have any content. It's just going to be bug fixes. There's no way they pay gate fixing bugs.

"Q3: Focus on Quality-of-Life improvements and bug fixes. " Bug fixes and QoL. They can pay gate QoL, but they probably won't. Net loss for 2023 ESO Plus, as it stands today.

I highly doubt that put a required QoL behind a paywall. They might put like a furnishing bag or soemthing on ESO+ but that wouldn't be a requirement to play the game.

There is always a chance that they will put things behind a paywall. They have a very active monetization plan going on here. I don't think they will, either, but that opinion is predicated upon them wanting to be nice to us. If they decide to favor monetization, then it will be behind a paywall.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have removed some back and forth that was disruptive. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here​.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'm with the people who are focusing on the quality benefits. The second half of Elsweyr (the "free" bit for ESO plus players) was very weak, Markarth was even weaker, the Deadlands was even worse than Blackwood, and I didn't even bother with the High Isle stuff as I'd dropped the game by then.

I don't want more content if it means dreadful content. I do welcome the prospect that standards, and in particular story standards, will rise back to where they were with Summerset and, if I want to dream, the really stellar writing and design of things like Hews Bane and Orsinium would be nice to see return (both of which were better written than anything in the main Elder Scrolls games).

If the net result of churning out huge amounts of content was that essentially *all* of that content, including the chapters, ended up mediocre (to be polite), I don't see that as a good return on my subscription. Twice as much content is the opposite of a positive if it's 100% filler.
    Edited by Northwold on January 1, 2023 11:29AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now we know what the Q4 system looks like, an endless co-op dungeon. We also know that the kind of things coming with the Q3 QOL, stuff like all-in-one attunable crafting stations. The Q4 system is so different I think it's hard to call if it's successful at replacing both the story dlc and the Q3 dungeon. Feels more like a replacement for the Q3 dungeons IMO.
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    So now we know what the Q4 system looks like, an endless co-op dungeon. We also know that the kind of things coming with the Q3 QOL, stuff like all-in-one attunable crafting stations. The Q4 system is so different I think it's hard to call if it's successful at replacing both the story dlc and the Q3 dungeon. Feels more like a replacement for the Q3 dungeons IMO.

Now that we know, I agree with the original statement, there's defintely less added value at this point. I still think for a lot of people getting all the previous content + crafting bag will be enough to justifiy paying monthly. But they cut a lot of content and for now, I'm not sure we're getting better systems/value in return.

Unrelated to eso+ but I'm also gonna wait and see what these bugfixes and QOL features are, there should be a lot more if it replaces two dungeons and a zone.
    Edited by Aardappelboom on January 25, 2023 9:56PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that we know, I agree with the original statement, there's defintely less added value at this point. I still think for a lot of people getting all the previous content + crafting bag will be enough to justifiy paying monthly. But they cut a lot of content and for now, I'm not sure we're getting better systems/value in return.

Unrelated to eso+ but I'm also gonna wait and see what these bugfixes and QOL features are, there should be a lot more if it replaces two dungeons and a zone.

I have until April to decide, as I am already subbed until then. But, I don't see myself renewing at this point. The chapter is not part of ESO+. Procedurally generated dungeons tend to not be my jam because they get repetitive since they tend to use a handful of backdrops and corridor types. We'll see.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 25, 2023 9:59PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's not a lot in 2023, when compared to previous years, to be honest. Definitely a reduction.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it’s nice to see some agreement on the hit eso+ is getting. That being said, for me, it’s going to depend on how big apocrypha feels. At least I can pretend that area was meant to be the Q4 dlc.

Maybe a quality of life improvement will be a furniture bag for eso+ in Q3? One can dream…
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Well it’s nice to see some agreement on the hit eso+ is getting. That being said, for me, it’s going to depend on how big apocrypha feels. At least I can pretend that area was meant to be the Q4 dlc.

For 2023, it has nothing to do with how big Apocrypha feels. That is paid content, not part of ESO Plus, this year.

For 2023, it depends, in part, on how big High Isle and Amenos feel and whether, together, they equal two zone DLCs.

ESO Plus is getting short changed this year, and they didn't even have the concern or courtesy to address this during their marketing extravaganza and reveal show. One of many failings they accomplished during the shows.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One thing that ZOS could do to add more value to ESO+ is give each Armory slot the option to save up to 14 inventory spaces for each build saved. So, we don’t have to carry so much inventory on our characters.

Stay safe :)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The loss of value I see most is the lack of true communication and interaction with players. Sure, they may have videos like this reveal, but communication is still lacking.

I have stepped on far too many landmines in the forums as well and I have not seen developer/official comments on many things that are important to me (or even that are important to others).

It would help them a lot to fix that, but I don't see any indication they will.

This is not a direct ESO+ issue, but it is one reason that I am personally seeing less reason to keep my ESO+ going (next month I think).
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of anything announced to buff up ESO combined with my hatred for DLC dungeons made me finally cancel my sub after it's been running for nine years. Way back when it was a requirement to play.

I don't want crowns because ZOS bloated the store with such much stuff that even cosmetics I would've once found cool are lacklustre.

I don't like housing.

The craft bag isn't useful now I've got 9 years of mats stuffed in there.

I won't need the extra bag space once I throw out all these gathering treasure maps.

I don't want any of the dungeon DLC but that's ALL that we're getting this year.

And the statues/paintings we get every month are just a running joke at this point, same with the 'discounts' which only seem the happen the second time something is on the store.

I'll use the last of the crowns getting the DLC I actually want and only get chapters when they're on discount going forward. It increasingly feels like ESO is on maintainance mode for whatever ZOS' new unannounced project is.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now we don't even know the full extent of the QoL additions that are coming (hopefully not anything that screws up add-ons). I see they are adding 'hide shoulders', which is another great QoL addition... hopefully it continues so that we can remove other gear pieces as well. I personally want a 'hide chest' so I can create my own version of the Dark Shaman outfit without the skirt and clunky arm pieces.

So if they continue to add more QoL items like this throughout the year and in the fall, I'm happy to keep subbing. Subbing IMO helps support the game, and honestly last summer with update 35 it drove me out of the game. I returned and started playing Necro and have been enjoying the game again... and now super excited for Arcanist and new companions. Glad it wasn't another 'card game' fiasco and they actually gave most of us something to look forward to. I just hope they don't drop the ball next year... they need to add another weapon IMO... wands would be awesome; just anything to replace staves!!
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »
    T It increasingly feels like ESO is on maintainance mode for whatever ZOS' new unannounced project is.

If ESO was on maintenance mode there wouldn't be any new release this year at all. No new zones, no QoL feature, no new system and pretty much no bug fixes, let alone new servers. I understand that different things frustrate different people in different ways, but throwing around terms like "maintenance mode" doesn't really express those frustrations in a productive way.
    Edited by Tandor on January 28, 2023 11:56AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Vrienda wrote: »
    T It increasingly feels like ESO is on maintainance mode for whatever ZOS' new unannounced project is.

If ESO was on maintenance mode there wouldn't be any new release this year at all. No new zones, no QoL feature, no new system and pretty much no bug fixes, let alone new servers. I understand that different things frustrate different people in different ways, but throwing around terms like "maintenance mode" doesn't really express those frustrations in a productive way.

"Maintenance mode" is obviously not the right term. "Auto pilot" might be a better term.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 28, 2023 1:57PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Maintenance mode" is obviously not the right term. "Auto pilot" might be a better term.

If it were on 'auto pilot' then we wouldn't have ANYTHING added to the game. I think ZOS is making due with what they have, and adding 30+ hours of content including new class and companions, is a pretty substantial addition to the game.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

If it were on 'auto pilot' then we wouldn't have ANYTHING added to the game. I think ZOS is making due with what they have, and adding 30+ hours of content including new class and companions, is a pretty substantial addition to the game.

No. Auto pilot means to continue on the current course, and while this year is a departure and reduction of that course, it is still in line with their overall course. Another way to put it is "stuck in a rut".

If they were in maintenance mode, then they would not be adding anything.