The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jabs...old vs. new

Hämähäkki
Hämähäkki
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Little Poll here:
I am just curious how many people want the old animation back.
TherealHämähäkki

Jabs...old vs. new 602 votes

The new animation is horrible, bring back the old one!
70%
laurajfSolarikenchessalavakia_ESOcelner4_ESOck37090StxBelegnoleJarndyceIncarnatusGlassHalfFullEsha76DarcyMardinJahoelMaerdiathnpukAstridAH93martinhpb16_ESOnwilliams2107b16_ESOHaywire30 425 votes
The new animation is cool, keep it that way!
12%
BlueRaventohopka_esoHrogundmnqwkDTStormfoxArphalasLaerothKeykalynwoodsielordiyxBluepitbull13Oreyn_BearclawValerieKyrieXarcBrowisethMartoCaptainVenomMikeSkyrim333Crimsonwolf666DocFrost72Anti_Virus 78 votes
I don't care
16%
mdclanin_ESOvailjohn_ESOfleetingyouth_ESOGarethDavThorntongueBeeKingDanikatstevenyaub16_ESOCoatmagicstarlizard70ub17_ESOBlazynDarkheartGrumblestiltskinExarchSheridanOhDiosSilverBrideGarethjolnirkargen27phairdon 99 votes
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I start. I hate it, bring back the old one please.
    TherealHämähäkki
    Options
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it on my templar today, it just looks so...weird.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
    Options
  • eovogtb16_ESO
    eovogtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new or old animation doesnt really matter either. It's literally not worth even slotting it on your bar anymore because it does no damage. You're better off just spamming blazing spear.
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they have left it at 4 hits but nerfed the damage accordingly? Sure, the balance patch sucks and Templars have been nerfed too hard (Spear Shards are a better spammable lol), but I don't get why the animation had to change so drastically. Couldn't they have sped it up if they so desperately wanted jabs to last 0.8 seconds?
    Same goes for Rapid Strikes, that one barely qualifies as "telegraphed" because it looks so nonthreatening for a spammable.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    It looks weird to me, but I had the same thing when my other MMO changed an attack animation, hated it at first, then got used to it, now when I see the old one in videos that looks weird to me. I assume the same will happen with this one.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • VampiricByNature
    VampiricByNature
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I have 3 templars but to be honest I barely get to play them. I'm a pve'r and they barely even want 1 templar in content these days and it can be easily covered by a healer.

No matter what the animation looks like, I probably won't even get to play on it to be annoyed one way or the other.
    Options
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the jabs animation is the worst thing to come out of this patch. Sure, the nerfs make the skill unusable trash, but at least there’s hope that will be corrected in the future. Any time I even consider sticking with this game, I just remember the terrible jabs animation and how it has destroyed my favorite character. I cannot tell you how much I hate this animation.
    Options
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im more concerned about the nerf to puncturing sweeps. They buffed jabs(stam morph) and nerfed sweeps(mag morph). They were already balanced they didnt need a buff or nerf, stam gave bonus to damage due passive activation within the skill, and sweeps instead of a damage buff it had healing. Now zos has widened the gap between stam and mag performance. ZOS has completely destroyed melee magplar builds now.
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Won't use it even in the deepest darkest place in the game where no one could see me.

It is so bad I feel I cannot play or be anything but a drag on my group. I went into Cyro last night because my team assured me it would be all right.

It's not. If not with an overpoweringly good bunch of people I would have been a less than productive member of the group.

Thank you Zos for making me feel worthless.
    Options
  • Kiyonami
    Kiyonami
    ✭✭✭
    It's time to say goodbye my magplar. The changes are terrible.
    Options
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new animation is cool, keep it that way!
    The old animation made toons look like they were spasming with light tbh.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on August 23, 2022 2:15PM
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At first I was not bothered by the animation, but trying to use it, it feels floaty. Damage numbers fly up but it looks like the spear doesn't reach that far. The audio queue seems off. And add that to the nerfs, its just not fun to play.
    Options
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New animation is OK could use some refinement but the new model needs changing, the spearhead looks like a shovel
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I'm more used to the old animation, yet have no issues with the new one. But ZOS should fix the new animation so that it lines up with the actual hits. Right now it just feels strange.
    Options
  • Captain_Devildog
    Captain_Devildog
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most toxic change ever!
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care
    Can someone please post a before-after picture for comparison?
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I don't play Templar enough to care. Also I don't pay any attention to animations.
    Edited by TaSheen on August 23, 2022 2:54PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Before
    0abb9ab54d0b9dfb6cd94c88fab0708a.jpg

After
    cartoon-man-warrior-with-a-spear-in-fantasy-style-vector-34233474.jpg
    Options
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old jabs was our identity. We have been using it for over 8 years. There was also absolutely no reason to change both the look and the sound of jabs. They could have just changed the animation and left everything else alone. When using the original animation my jabs focused on a concentrated spot straight in front of me. The new animation just swings wildly all over the place and I don't feel like I can truly aim at anything. This is a sad day for Templars. :'(

@ZOS_Kevin

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
    Options
  • Vahndamme
    Vahndamme
    ✭✭✭
    The current animation looks like you're shoveling dirt rofl. The twist is horrible and the motif is horrible too. It's so big also.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    after testing it some last night, i think the animation flow looks a little smoother, but im not entirely happy with the look of the spear, if your just going to copy/paste one of the motif styles then let us just custom style it so we can make it looks how we prefer (or if thats not possible just change the spear back to the original, the rest of the animation i think is fine)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks horrible. Nobody asked for this.
    Options
  • Mordredmoth
    Mordredmoth
    Soul Shriven
    Its not only ugli AF, it feels clumsy, slow and weird, but also far weaker (Magika Version), its no loger fun to use and broke my playstyle, this is not a good change and we, as a comunity should make zenimax notice this.
    Options
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only does it look horrible, but using a vampiric motif for a skill from the AEDRIC Spear skill line is just nonsensical. Please give more care and attention to the world your game takes place in, ZOS.
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you mained templar you are now trying to figure out what class you're going to have to switch to if you want to keep playing ESO.
    Options
  • Oakenaxe
    Oakenaxe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galiferno wrote: »
    Not only does it look horrible, but using a vampiric motif for a skill from the AEDRIC Spear skill line is just nonsensical. Please give more care and attention to the world your game takes place in, ZOS.

This right here is my problem with the new animation. I second the last phrase: Please give more care and attention to the world your game takes place in, ZOS.
    a.k.a. Leo
    non-native English speaker
    200-300 ping and low fps player
    Options
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot stand the new animation, it looks so clunky and awkward and kinda silly honestly. The old animation felt better, more aggressive and your character held a spear more accurately. I just want to go back to the old animation with 4 jabs.
    Options
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This animation change is pure garbage. I don't mind change if it adds value but this one adds frustration.
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old animation was just so much smoother and better... animated! Just watch your character with the new one. Just watch them. It's like they have steel rods in their back and they're just twitching around. There's no smoothness, no natural movements. They're like an animatronic. How are animations from 2014 smoother than animations from 2022?

That's not even getting into the actual spear movements themselves, which are simultaneously way too slow and way too janky and twitchy. I don't know how you make something but too slow and too twitchy, but somehow you did. They're so slow it doesn't feel like you're actually hitting anything, but instead... well, as someone else put it better than I could, sweeping a spider away with a broom, only it's over the enemy's shoulder. It swings so wide I can't aim it right, and given the way the skill works you have to aim it instead of locking onto a target.

The spear not only doesn't fit the theme at all but is also way, way too large which only amplifies the issue with the animation being way too slow and wide so that it just feels like you're not hitting anything at all.

This has single-handedly destroyed my enjoyment of the templar class, which until now as my single most-played class in the game. I have 7 of them across two accounts. Now I'm barely going to play any of them. Thanks, ZOS, for ruining one of the most iconic abilities in your game for absolutely no reason when absolutely no one asked you to.

I could take or leave the nerfs, but ESO's combat relies on its animations to feel natural, smooth, and IMPACTFUL. That has always been its biggest draw, is that the combat actually feels impactful unlike the rest of the TES franchise. That's completely gone now for one of your most popular classes. What an utter disgrace.
    Options
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mained templar you are now trying to figure out what class you're going to have to switch to if you want to keep playing ESO.

I canceled my ESO+ subscription and have stopped spending any money on the game. My interest in playing has been dying since this patch was announced and this trash animation was made public. It’s probably not too long before I abandon the game altogether and it is 100% because they destroyed my main character. The jabs animation is an enormous part of that.
    Options