The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Floating Text/Chat Bubble addon?

• reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warlunatic wrote: »
    Ok imagine running into a very over populated area say 100+ people on screen and u decide to turn chat bubbles on. what will u see? gold spammers over lapping everything multiple people in the same spot with overlapping chat bubbles again. and a whole lot more reason to get dc. I disagree that this game shall need chat bubbles as there is enough options in chat tabs to keep everything simple and easy to read yet these few tamrians seem not to believe.

If you are in an area with one player needing some help theres 2 ways to make him know ur there 1 being /Say chat, 2 being a simple whisper and theres no doubt he will see it.

if you are trying to RP with a group of 3 or more there is a thing called /Party also making it VERY CLEAR to know you are RP.

Ultimately there is a very CLEAR way to distinguish the different channel chats in our box being the ability to CHANGE CHAT COLOURS. these things are simple reasons why chat bubbles are NOT necessary and I think these tamrians need to look into these chat options.

on another note, having trouble reading the text? lower your UI scale - upsize you chat box - upsize you text scale in the social options menu

SIMPLE MEASURES

What I have to say for you is this.
    The social chat is just way too user unfriendly,@handles in lists and showing in guild chat and lack of speech bubbles for say and yell. It just feels very bleh. And if you try Rping in a place full of other Rpers, it is way too difficult to keep up with someone you are actually Rping with, with everything in the chat flowing together and no way to know when the people are directly talking to are speaking and difficult to tell when someone else you werent expecting speaks to you.

If you have to constantly spend most of your time staring and trying to decipher the chat box rather than looking in the actual world. That pretty much defeats the purpose of Rping in an MMORPG.

You might as well Rp in a chatroom in that regard.

Let us get some floating text/speech bubbles for godsake. Everything feels so empty and static in character interaction.

This is the reason floating text/chat bubbles has been a basic feature option in most MMO's to date.

Also the very thing you said, going to a play thats crowded with a bunch of people, ultimately becomes negated in your very next point. No matter what color you do for chat in say, all of it will be in say. So you run into the same problem anyway with the methods you propose.

the only difference is you dont have to pay attention to the ones that arent directed at you much easier, because the chat bubbles show who and where and what the person you are speaking to are. Besides if chat bubbles become over bearing there are usually options to disable them.

Thats the problem. The option isnt there. Option.

Options
  • PoisonedPaint
    PoisonedPaint
    ✭✭✭
    I support chat bubbles.
    @PoisonedPaint - RPers, feel free to add! I'm on NA, EST Zone. Has odd playtimes.

Main Character: Bjorn the Half-Blood - Half Imperial/Nord. Carrd RP Profile Link
    Options
  • Teralon
    Teralon
    As a german speaking player i would agree to Chatbubbles, but unfourtanetly i would see french and other languages which would break my immersion at the european megaserver.

We have special Zonechats for german, french and english speaking players at the european megaserver. I think that it would be a really big think to split the chatbubbles to the different languages.
    Options
  • Dragos1980
    I think it is a good idea, at least make it an option, so the hardcore immersive RPers can keep their screens empty and never see who is talking if they wish.
    I'm crazy... not stupid!
    My luck is divided by zero
    Options
  • randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
    No chat bubbles are too cartoony. They should have a dialogue subtitles style at the bottom of your screen for people who are chatting near you. Not like the chat menu though
    Edited by randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO on April 2, 2014 10:37AM
    Options
  • lesso
    lesso
    From a mega server standpoint where each individual player in an area can be in totally different instances of the same area I'm not sure how it could be implemented well. For example not everyone that is in front of you is visible this could allow for invisible players to potentially block your field of view by spamming /say msgs.

Those who are in favour of chat bubbles have you ever walked into a city in some of those mmo's where all you see is a mass of chat bubbles sitting atop each other and totally blocking your view of important NPC's? I guess the point of this reply is to say that while they are useful for communication in your current area they are not always a good thing.

ZoS likely considered this and more in their decision not to implement said feature so why complain about it?
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    lesso wrote: »
    From a mega server standpoint where each individual player in an area can be in totally different instances of the same area I'm not sure how it could be implemented well. For example not everyone that is in front of you is visible this could allow for invisible players to potentially block your field of view by spamming /say msgs.

Those who are in favour of chat bubbles have you ever walked into a city in some of those mmo's where all you see is a mass of chat bubbles sitting atop each other and totally blocking your view of important NPC's? I guess the point of this reply is to say that while they are useful for communication in your current area they are not always a good thing.

ZoS likely considered this and more in their decision not to implement said feature so why complain about it?

That is not how that works at all.
    Invisible people that are not even in your phase's speak doesnt even show in say chat. Not even in zone chat.

You do not even know what you're talking about..

And I would rather have the option to turn off the chat bubbles when I want to for if such a situation came up, than not have any at all and jsut have your chat box spammed by the same thing anyway.
    Edited by reagen_lionel on April 2, 2014 12:00PM
    Options
  • Malificarus
    I want to add my voice to the chorus calling for chat bubbles. As it stands, I barely even notice when people are speaking to me unless via whisper.

Even the addition of a simple recognizable "talk" animation when speaking in /say and /yell would help greatly if bubbles were too much to ask.
    Options
  • cubanoloko
    cubanoloko
    Soul Shriven
    where can i downlopad add-ons from?
    Options
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chat bubbles are too cartoony. They should have a dialogue subtitles style at the bottom of your screen for people who are chatting near you. Not like the chat menu though
    Yes, they can be a little cartoony, but only if done poorly. The reality is there is no better way to streamline active, efficient and localised communication between players. This has been shown through over 10 years of other social online games using the feature: testament to their enduring popularity.

And like always, it would be a toggle. If someone doesn't like them simply turn them off. Everyone is happy that way, everyone.

I support this chorus whole heartily.

If you can be anything, be kind.
    Options
  • Earthlybeast
    I find chat bubbles to be supportive during parties such as for dungeon groups and pvp. i am a healer and my main focus is the center of the screen. looking down at chat can cause any player in my group to die lack of heals. if i put the chat in the middle of the screen my target area of affect spells will be interfered by the chat box. so the bubbles would help me by alot. pls add at least the option to enable!
    Options
  • moonsugar66
    moonsugar66
    ✭✭✭
    Been involved in a number of discussion about chat bubbles through out beta and its always the same thing:

The people against chat bubbles ignore the words "optional" and "toggle". It's made their arguments against bubbles weak and narrow-minded.

Seems like we have opposing views on what "immersion" entails.

The anti-bubble people envision a world leet-speak cluttering your vision like so many commercial signs on a crowded city street. Yes, that's an irksome thing to consider; HOWEVER, an option to turn off the bubbles would be the simple solution.

For those of who like bubbles it breaks immersion having to stop and scan the chat window every few seconds while participating in something like Role Play. Having the text of your conversation squeezed into a chat box feels like reading scripts before a play instead of participating in the actual play itself. With bubbles, you have more freedom of movement and less of an eye strain from having to focus on both a chat window and your fellow players actions and movements.

Yes, I've played in games with and without bubbles. My vote is pro-bubble.
    Edited by moonsugar66 on April 2, 2014 2:21PM
    Options
  • cre8te
    cre8te
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with the need for chat bubbles, I don't think a talking animation is sufficient because like it or not different resolutions need to be taken into account.

The word "immersion" keeps being thrown around as a reason to not have features, but in real life when some nearby is talking to us we not only see them moving we hear the direction they are in, and let's face it if real life was like eso we would probably smell them as well.

Take a situation that happened the other day, was in a cave killing mobs with 4 or 5 others all strangers. I found a chest and stupid me had no lock picks in my inventory, so I immediately put in chat "chest here" but how did they know where or who was speaking?

Now this didn't happen but what if I or one of the others came close to dying we call for help and which one of us said it? Remember I don't know these others so I don't know their names or in game genders to narrow it down. A simple chat bubble would solve this.

Maybe not a fill chat bubble with text but maybe something like a talking chat icon so you know to read chat, but you know who is speaking.

This is only compounded by the chat dialogue fading out too quick.

Matthew
    Options
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sinlar wrote: »
    Ok imagine running into a very over populated area say 100+ people on screen and u decide to turn chat bubbles on. what will u see? gold spammers over lapping everything multiple people in the same spot with overlapping chat bubbles again.

This is exactly why it would make sense to have a toggle chat bubble option for the /say chat. Gold spammers do not spam the /say chat, they spam the /zone chat because it reaches a wider range of people. Secondly, if the chat bubbles are made optional, and you clearly don't want them, then why don't you just keep them turned off instead of fighting the idea of giving everybody the option to choose for themselves?
    "Sinlar wrote: »
    If you are in an area with one player needing some help theres 2 ways to make him know ur there 1 being /Say chat, 2 being a simple whisper and theres no doubt he will see it.
    There's a problem with your first way, and that's exactly one of the problems we're talking about. Just typing in the /say window isn't guaranteed to do anything, just yesterday I ignored someone accidentally because he tried to ask me something quickly in the /say chat as I was running to my next quest location, and only realized minutes after that he'd been talking to me. And sure, whispering is somewhat effective, but typing in the /say chat to get someone's attention is not only faster, but they'd also be guaranteed to see it if a bubble of text appears over a character's head.
    "Sinlar wrote: »
    if you are trying to RP with a group of 3 or more there is a thing called /Party also making it VERY CLEAR to know you are RP.
    Tried this in Defiance, it didn't work. The fact of the matter is, even if you're RPing in Party chat, it's still a bunch of people standing around, completely detached from the window of text on your lower left screen. It just doesn't work.

Honestly, if you don't like the chat bubbles, then don't use the chat bubbles, that simple. But the fact that they're not even a toggle on/off option in at least the /say chat for the many people who would actually benefit from it is the problem.
    Edited by nalimoleb14_ESO on April 2, 2014 1:38PM
    Options
  • neonvaporsb14a_ESO
    Come on Zenimax. We want chat bubbles.
    Options
  • SassMaster
    SassMaster
    Soul Shriven
    Seerah wrote: »
    An addon could make chat bubbles, however that addon would NOT be able to attach the chat bubble to the character speaking.

I feel like there could be a way to make them attach to player characters, like maybe if someone made it a modification of the health bar you see on other players.
    Options
  • Akarius_Alexios
    I would like to see chat bubbles for all the reasons previously indicated.
    Options
  • Skatmat
    Skatmat
    /signed.

We need chat bubbles!! Badly! Every mmo has a chat bubble, for christ's sake, with an option to turn it off/on. It is impossible to keep track of everything in the overflowing chat window, nobody ever notices when you say something. The community feels dead when no one who is right next to you answers, this really sucks when you can't get help with a quest etc... Grouping is impossible, because nobody even notices you. Besides, I'd much rather look at the pretty graphics rather than to stare at a small, moving wall of text all the time.

I really hope some genius will find a sneaky way to create an addon, if not Zenimax wants to do it.

EDIT: We also need subtitles for when the NPC's are saying something that isn't a part of a direct conversation with you. I can't hear what they say, and there are a lot of deaf players who'd like to learn the story but can't quite follow because they loose half of it by not hearing.
    Edited by Skatmat on April 2, 2014 3:46PM
    Options
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    /signed

We need chat bubbles AND a speaking animation.
    Options
  • MachoKing
    MachoKing
    Supported as well, you don't realize how much it adds until you don't have it
    Options
  • DanMan3395
    Agreed, as seen in pic it can be done. I would however ask for the ability to turn them on and off by channel so as to not end up with the second pic.

http://i.imgur.com/EuLtLbB.jpg

http://mmohuts.com/wp-content/gallery/ragnarok-online/ragnarok-online-huge-population.jpg?ec9f9b
    Edited by DanMan3395 on April 2, 2014 5:43PM
    Options
  • smokeysb16_ESO
    Don't compare ESO with something totally different. We need speech bubbles option and speech animations asap !
    Options
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game will die if they won't add those bubbles, I find it sad they don't realize it.
    Edited by Eliran on April 2, 2014 9:03PM
    Options
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    DanMan3395 wrote: »
    Ah yes that was the pic I was thinking of earlier...

Would anyone honestly say these chat bubbles look "cartoonish"? This is critical for an immersive world and RP IMO. You *dont* want to be looking at a chat window when talking.

Options should be no issues issues at all:
    Say bubbles on/off
    Yell bubbles on/off
    Emote bubbles on/off
    Bubbles view distance *insert slider*

If people only want to see emote bubbles within 2 meters distance and live in a silent world they may do so.
    Edited by murklor007neb18_ESO on April 2, 2014 9:20PM
    Options
  • c6603
    c6603
    I want this as well, it is verry strange that it isnt in the game allready.
    Options
  • Arkhnaiir
    Arkhnaiir
    Chat bubbles would definetly make things easier and better. I wouldn't have to dance or jump around to get someones attention to speak then which ,as a templar, damages my personality. :disappointed:
    Character: Arkhaniir Lightborn (Breton, Templar)
    Alliance: Daggerfall Covenant
    Guild: Lions of Sithis
    EU Megaserver
    Options
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, as seen in pic it can be done. I would however ask for the ability to turn them on and off by channel so as to not end up with the second pic.
    Wow! That looks great!

Aside from submitting /feedback tickets, is there anything else we can do? :( Hopefully someone on the ESO dev team has at least seen this thread and noted the overwhelming demand for chat bubbles...and on multiple other forums as well. I definitely agree that without them, ESO will lose a lot of players. :(
    Options
  • conor.p.bradleyb16_ESO
    Optional chat bubbles would have been great
    Options
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    /sign

Chat bubbles are a must. I am still baffled by the decision to exclude them from the game. It actually breaks immersion.
    Options
  • Morana
    Morana
    ✭✭✭

And now suddenly the world is alive, immersive, and interactive. Without it, it's just three mutes standing there like bumps on a log.

As well, if we're actually looking at the character avatar who is speaking, we'll see any emotes they throw in there, too. Currently we don't see anyone doing emotes because we're too busy scrolling up the darn chat box figuring out who's saying what to whom, and now it's gone.
    Options