The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Floating Text/Chat Bubble addon?

• nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha I'm so happy to hear @Harva!! I should have done the same, waited until chat bubbles were added before buying the game, but I'm so glad Zenimax cares about us to add optional chat bubbles even though it didn't fit their vision initially!

Way to go guys!!! <3

• CaptainFishSticks
    Fantastic news!
  • iAmTheTot
    iAmTheTot
    ✭✭
    /sign
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is same as Nameplates, ZeniMax and yet ZeniMax can't understand how vital it is.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliran wrote: »
    This is same as Nameplates, ZeniMax and yet ZeniMax can't understand how vital it is.

This is not something that should go to the vital or not area , because there is no need to ever do so.

This is something completely OPTIONAL , like the nameplates , it has nothing to do with it being vital or not since the start , because this is not something we must wage pros/cons against.

This is a win/win situation to the players , people that want use it , people that dont , avoid it.

And everyone is happy.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • uce_mike_ESO
    Eliran wrote: »

Agreed. The single player game didn't have a need to name-plates because it was ... single player. This game is NOT single player.

Options.

• dormax
    dormax
    Soul Shriven
    I don't mean to doublepost, BUT GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!! This happened just a few minutes ago during today's AMA session:

My Question:
    Are you aware of the demand for optional (toggle on/off) chat bubbles that players have been asking for since July of last year? Do you plan on listening to the players and adding back the optional chat bubble feature?

Zenimax' Answer:
    Yes. We have chat bubbles working internally. So we want to enable them soon, and testing will dictate which update they arrive in.

Awesome!
    Now, to determine the value of soon™
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    While I am PSYCHED to just now hear about this GREAT NEWS,

I just hope it's not before they fix the issue of a LOT of its players, (yes, like me) being unable to actually log in to enjoy the game. :p

I'd give up chat bubbles to log in anyday!
    Besides, I've gotten used to the Simple Chat Bubble addon now lol.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no word yet for the chat bubbles since mentioned before of the stage it was in.
  • SWEtree
    SWEtree
    Still nothing :(
    Balance ftw
  • Harva
    Harva
    ✭✭✭
    Yea... it sucks man. I think they're pulling our legs now. Not even a hint of chat bubbles on the test server either.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think so to. For them having a working version in testing a month ago and not hear anything about such a simple thing is kind of suspicious.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canceled my sub until chat bubbles get implemented. :(
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canceled my sub until chat bubbles get implemented. :(

Coincidentally, your like the 3rd or 4th person I've heard say that just this week alone.

Funny thing is, they putting in the dye thing from what we only heard about that they only began working on just a while ago. And what we heard of thier "working build" of a chat bubble system that they had going before that, we havent heard a peep about since.
    Edited by reagen_lionel on July 10, 2014 7:32AM
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing is, they putting in the dye thing from what we only heard about that they only began working on just a while ago. And what we heard of thier "working build" of a chat bubble system that they had going before that, we havent heard a peep about since.
    The constants are already in the global table of .lua:
    CHAT_BUBBLE_SETTING_ENABLED
    CHAT_BUBBLE_SETTING_ENABLED_FOR_LOCAL_PLAYER
    CHAT_BUBBLE_SETTING_ENABLED_ONLY_FROM_CONTACTS
    CHAT_BUBBLE_SETTING_SPEED_MODIFIER

The same way there are already Dark Brotherhood styles in the code/constants.
    And there are already thievery&justice/die related stuff in the constants.

It comes when it is ready. Not earlier. Not later.
    And as usuall in programming, some things are just easier to do effectively then others.
    Edited by zgrssd on July 10, 2014 9:12AM
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

And as usuall in programming, some things are just easier to do effectively then others.

Thats all fine and dandy. Weither parts of it are there or not. Its fine.
    But it would be nice to hear some word of it, just like they are giving some word of the other things.

I'm glad its in there. But that doesnt nessecarily mean all the much to me. Theres been runes and recipes thats also in the game code that served no function and got removed.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

Thats all fine and dandy. Weither parts of it are there or not. Its fine.
    But it would be nice to hear some word of it, just like they are giving some word of the other things.

I'm glad its in there. But that doesnt nessecarily mean all the much to me. Theres been runes and recipes thats also in the game code that served no function and got removed.
    There is a big difference between:
    leftovers from development (beta and before).
    And
    stuff that was actively added with 1.2.

It comes when it is ready. And they simply have a few more important things to deal with right now with the aftershocks of the last content update and the usual MMO issues.
    If people use something like that as thier personal excuse to unsub, they never were long term players anyway. Putting that on higher priority would be the worst decision they could make.
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there are already addons that let you have a separate chat box for /say (or whichever other chat's you care to pay attention to) if you don't want to just turn off zone/etc in the default chat box.

That pretty much gives you all the utility of chat bubbles w/o having to worry about them overlapping.

(I'll admit, I haven't actually done it in this game, (due to not having taken the time to trackdown a good addon, and AFAIK there's no default way to do it) but it's my standard operating procedure in every game since EQ1. I find chat bubbles completely worthless compared to having a second chat box for say, whisper, and party chat.)
    Achievements Suck
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    Pretty sure there are already addons that let you have a separate chat box for /say (or whichever other chat's you care to pay attention to) if you don't want to just turn off zone/etc in the default chat box.

That pretty much gives you all the utility of chat bubbles w/o having to worry about them overlapping.

(I'll admit, I haven't actually done it in this game, (due to not having taken the time to trackdown a good addon, and AFAIK there's no default way to do it) but it's my standard operating procedure in every game since EQ1. I find chat bubbles completely worthless compared to having a second chat box for say, whisper, and party chat.)

..I cant even..

seperate chat boxes and chat bubbles are not the same thing.

had this discussion with the reasoning many pages ago already.
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know it's not the same thing. Separate chat boxes are better. You can actually tell who is saying what. (though I guess having the name show up in the chat bubble would fix that, though I've never actually seen an implementation of chat bubbles do that)

As I recall *your* argument was you know where they are, which I pretty much ignored, since it's silly. Unless you have no clue who your talking with, (which even without name plates you should know, though I'll admit nameplates helps, and I'm in favor of), you know where they are with chat too.
    Achievements Suck
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the facial animations, I wonder if they'll have a random cycle of talking animations when your character speaks.

Thats a great feature that I missed from the old days of WoW. But if they do do it, I hope its not always the same cycle of talking animations, a more random assortment of talking animations.
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I asked not to long ago and a Dev said that Chat Bubbles were not coming with 1.3. But they didn't say they were never coming. I'm still in full support. I can't wait for bubbles! Let me try and dig up the link.
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah here it is: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/118516/the-road-ahead-july-8/p2 on page 2.
    Selique wrote: »
    No word on Chat Bubbles yet? I know some people don't care, but I am curious.
    Chat bubbles won't be in Update 3, but we are actively working on them.
    Denaia wrote: »
    @zos_ginabruno are the delve updates that where announced for update 3 in the previous road ahead also going to come? And what about the collectibles achievement that haven't been working since the start of the game?
    Delve updates will start in Update 3, and will be an ongoing addition as we hit each area.
    Hail Sithis..
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah here it is: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/118516/the-road-ahead-july-8/p2 on page 2.
    No word on Chat Bubbles yet? I know some people don't care, but I am curious.
    Chat bubbles won't be in Update 3, but we are actively working on them.
    Denaia wrote: »
    @zos_ginabruno are the delve updates that where announced for update 3 in the previous road ahead also going to come? And what about the collectibles achievement that haven't been working since the start of the game?
    Delve updates will start in Update 3, and will be an ongoing addition as we hit each area.

Excellent. And I'm satisfied with that for the moment.

Will want to see another update in a word about it in a month or two. But for now, thats good enough to me to know its at least being worked on still.
  • gamer2571_ESO
    i dont really like the idea of chat bubbles specially in this type of mmo will totally kill immersion for me, but since its a addon it is a decent idea
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any word on them? Anyone heard anything? With 1.4 fast approaching, I would like to hear if they are coming in 1.5!

Also, they aren't an AddOn, but an actual IG OPTION (Caps'd for emphasis). So, you don't need to use them if you don't like them.

But I want them!
    Hail Sithis..
  • Harva
    Harva
    ✭✭✭
    You know I am really wondering too. I'm getting tired of being led on about them or outright ignored when I try to send feedback asking what the status is.

It's frustrating we can even get a Dev to post here with something... News on how the testing is going, when will it be on the pits servers? Are there roadblocks they are not telling us about. Anything. Please.

They definitely need it before the justice system becomes available, otherwise how will players address each other to collect bounties on thieves? I mean, sure there will still be jerks that run up and instantly kill someone with a bounty and not say a word to them, which will be infuriating but expected sadly.

Yet those in the RP community will want to roleplay the scenarios out, how will we do that if we can't see the current chat window very well. It's still easy to overlook when you are in the heat of battle or running someplace in a hurry and whizz past someone you had no idea asked you something until they are long gone.

I can't believe it's been this long without chat bubbles. It really upsets me that we don't have that option still. Quite frankly I'm getting really tired of these how these trial updates are dominating the scene right now. That's kinda one group of players they are focusing on, not so much the overall community.

I must say (if I'm allowed too without getting flagged, sad if that's the only way to get a Dev :b) I played Archage last week and I just really wanted ESO to have some of the features that game has. Archage has so much going on with the hud that it's really overwhelming and doesn't feel like it invites role playing because there is so much to do. But the fact that they have housing you can build, you can raise pets and use them as mounts or aides in combat, you can actually live in the game via farming and the likes. They have language researching where you learn the languages of other races in the game in order to better understand them when you go to their countries... What? That's just crazy, I really really wanted ESO to have things along these lines.

I really hope when Archage comes out ESO steps up to the plate and offers better things to compete with that. I'm sure it's going to cause a lot of MMOs to step up their game. Which is good, hears hoping ESO does something to compete. I don't want to see ESO flounder for making more poor choices. If it's not doing that already?
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its kind of annoying havent had a word about this. And even the word mention of it, was only asked during an audio interview, where asked directly.

This isnt a content patch. It shouldnt take this long to work out a simple UI chat bubble system thats standard in most other MMO's for the passed 15+ years.