The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Floating Text/Chat Bubble addon?

reagen_lionel
reagen_lionel
✭✭✭✭
Since Zenimax made it evidently clear theres no plans for chat bubbles.

As a roleplayer and for general communication purposes, is there some people out there that are working on an addon that will do this instead?

Growing tired of trying to talk to someone in thier face and they dont even notice, and someone saying something to me and I dont see until long after they are gone.

Would make Rp alot easier as well.

Edit: As discussed in this thread, it is seemed not possible to make such an addon in the game using the current API.

So the only thing we can do is send /feedback in the game in the chatbox. If enough people deliver the need for this most basic and optional feature, then things may change.

Its far more disruptive to stare at the chat box to filter through other people's messages to find which ones are relevant to you, and as it stands, players are already getting into the habit of disregarding the chat box altogether. Making say pretty much useless when out doing whatever they do, simply because of the lack of feedback in talking in general. Chat bubbles provides a way to get instant notification from any and everyone around you when they speak. Not having chat bubbles within the game is like going through a world full of mutes. The real life equivilent would be in two scenarios where everyone is either silent all the time, or every one is speaking all at once, in the same voice, at the same volume and same proximity.

Where chat bubbles would be more like having variation, you can easily choose to not pay mind to anything that not pertaining to you by having passive scanning of whats being said by others, just like hearing a conversation across the room. You dont pay real mind to it and generally tone it out, its easier. And have instant notification when someone is speaking to you, right in front of you. You know how someone walks into your face and starts talking in real life.

The lack of the OPTION of chat bubbles goes against the very foundation of the immersion thats supposedly being focused for all these reasons.

There is no viable argument against this rather than
"I dont like chat bubbles, so If I dont like them and/or dont use them, you all shouldn't either"

Just no. Thats such a closed minded argument and isnt viable in anyway when we're asking for is the OPTION to have this feature, as for a grand lot of people find this nessecary as you can clearly see from the amount of pages and posts in this thread.

Edit: Please do not link to petitions on the forums.
Edited by ZOS_AlanG on April 28, 2014 3:39PM
  • gaming_ogre
    gaming_ogre
    Soul Shriven
    If such an add-on were made, I would use it.
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a large discussion in beta for this, and a very large demand that came from those discussions.

Shame all the posts from beta were wiped. Was some useful info could be pulled form them. Including that screen shot that showed off the possibility of the chat bubbles/floating text.
    Edited by reagen_lionel on March 30, 2014 2:19PM
    Options
  • Morana
    Morana
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping and wishing for a mod for some sort of chat bubbles. It's very much needed.
    Options
  • caussara
    caussara
    ✭✭
    I too want to add my voice to this request. Please someone make some chat/bubble add-on.
    Options
  • carterjakep
    carterjakep
    ✭✭✭
    I support this, would love an add-on for chat bubbles.
    Player since Closed Beta
    Ebonheart Pact Loyalist
    Options
  • Nsane
    Nsane
    Second that motion
    Options
  • mikebrown707
    i third this motion, very much needed in an mmo based game
    Options
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    An addon could make chat bubbles, however that addon would NOT be able to attach the chat bubble to the character speaking.
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
    Options
  • Jasoody
    Jasoody
    Soul Shriven
    As long as it wasn't like zone bubbles. If it were for 'say' I'd be all for it.
    Options
  • Kokosnootje92
    Kokosnootje92
    Soul Shriven
    I really believe this game needs chat bubbles. I feel like I'm all alone. I see people chatting in the chat window, but I have no idea when I'm walking around who is saying it in my area. It just really makes the feeling of me playing with other players sorta disappear
    Options
  • Bruro
    Bruro
    I think ESO developers are going for this immersion thing but at the same time they want to have mmorpg players as main customers. And they just don't implement things mmorpg players want to see in an mmorpg. That is just so simple and sad :/ Would too like to see chatbubbles. It is hard to RP with a group of people without bubbles.
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bruro wrote: »
    I think ESO developers are going for this immersion thing but at the same time they want to have mmorpg players as main customers. And they just don't implement things mmorpg players want to see in an mmorpg. That is just so simple and sad :/ Would too like to see chatbubbles. It is hard to RP with a group of people without bubbles.

Yes exactly!
    Options
  • Hinaloth
    Hinaloth
    I also move we get bubbles, if only as an add-on to make RPing easier.
    Hinaloth Fulein Lester, at your service.

The Weaver roams the lands of Nirn once more. What will befall his steps?
    Options
  • Rykaris
    Rykaris
    I think bubbles is a cool idea
    Options
  • TIMEandETERNITY
    Its a good idea being that it will stick out and make it easier to see what you are saying and you wont have to rely on the chat box. It would make a great rp experience all the better. I approve of this.
    "Here's to me, and Here's to you, Here's to love and laughter. I'll be true, as long as you, but not a moment after."
    Options
  • raykai12000b16_ESO
    raykai12000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    for now the API is not allowing this ... there is no way for a addon to fallow a player in the 3d world and add a panel on top of their life bar for a text bubble till zanimax change this restriction i don't see how we could do this.
    [Guild]:
    <The Dredge [DDGE]> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required |http://ddge.zapto.org
    [Addon Author] :
    My addon : Reloadui Extra Slash Commands
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    If that is the case, Then will have to nag zenimax add it in themselves. I should not have this much trouble dual tasking playing and talking at the same time.
    Options
  • raykai12000b16_ESO
    raykai12000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    they had it in the options 3 betas back but the option was grayed out and then the next 2 beta that option was removed.
    Edited by raykai12000b16_ESO on March 31, 2014 2:40AM
    [Guild]:
    <The Dredge [DDGE]> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required |http://ddge.zapto.org
    [Addon Author] :
    My addon : Reloadui Extra Slash Commands
    Options
  • Hinaloth
    Hinaloth
    If we're still waiting on Bioware to put it back in TOR, I doubt we'll get it from Zenimax that easily...
    Maybe as a mod that changes the actual nameplate of the player?
    Hinaloth Fulein Lester, at your service.

The Weaver roams the lands of Nirn once more. What will befall his steps?
    Options
  • justinvsevil
    to my knowledge I think Zeni confirmed they have zero plans for implementing chat bubbles, which is unfortunate :/
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    to my knowledge I think Zeni confirmed they have zero plans for implementing chat bubbles, which is unfortunate :/

Indeed. Which is why Im seeking a method, if they see enough people that want this, like they did first person, they would change that and implement it in, since we have no alternative since its not possible in the API.
    Options
  • Whov
    Whov
    Soul Shriven
    I agree on needing chat bubbles. When I'm standing around at a quest I need help with and ask the other people right in front of me if they want to group... Nothing... They don't notice I'm talking. Chat bubbles would be nice.
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whov wrote: »
    I agree on needing chat bubbles. When I'm standing around at a quest I need help with and ask the other people right in front of me if they want to group... Nothing... They don't notice I'm talking. Chat bubbles would be nice.

Precisely.
    Options
  • vsalmins
    vsalmins
    Needs it.
    Options
  • ALongshot
    ALongshot
    I seriously wouldn't have bought this game if I'd known it didn't have chat bubbles. We need this.
    Options
  • mechman29_ESO
    agreed
    Options
  • dChronus
    dChronus
    Soul Shriven
    I would LOVE to have chat bubbles. As someone mentioned above it would be really nice to see someone's text if you were standing right next to them.
    Options
  • Bruro
    Bruro
    I just don't see why they created an mmorpg if they don't want an mmorpg :/
    I think I'll take a look into addons creation soon and will hopefully find something usefull :/
    Options
  • teonimesic
    as raykai12000b16_ESO has said, there is no API method currently to get other player's position in the 3D world so that you could add chat bubbles or damage bubbles. And I don't think there ever will be, since they recently nerfed API methods, and being able access other player's position would allow for all manner of exploits. I also don't think ZoS is going to implement it, since they don't want to clutter your screen with information... :(
    Edited by teonimesic on April 1, 2014 3:23AM
    Options
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm very disappointed that there are no chat bubbles, or at least a toggle on/off option to have them, or even just in the /say chat. I was looking forward to roleplaying on ESO more than anything else, and now it's incredibly difficult to do without chat bubbles. I don't think I would have preordered the game either if I'd known there wouldn't be any. There could be some sort of compromise...even optional chat bubbles in just the /say chat would be great. To me it seems that everyone's characters are very detached right now without chat bubbles, I can't tell you how many people I've unintentionally ignored because I don't glance down at the little chat window every five seconds.
    Options