The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Floating Text/Chat Bubble addon?

• reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm very disappointed that there are no chat bubbles, or at least a toggle on/off option to have them, or even just in the /say chat. I was looking forward to roleplaying on ESO more than anything else, and now it's incredibly difficult to do without chat bubbles. I don't think I would have preordered the game either if I'd known there wouldn't be any. There could be some sort of compromise...even optional chat bubbles in just the /say chat would be great. To me it seems that everyone's characters are very detached right now without chat bubbles, I can't tell you how many people I've unintentionally ignored because I don't glance down at the little chat window every five seconds.

Yes. And that is pretty much the large disconnect in the problem for Rp and general socialization.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone that wants the chat bubbles. I just got word the best way is for EVERYONE who wants it to give thier feedback ingame by typing /feedback
    in chat.

I'm going to copy my most informative post on this issue and provide a link to the discussions.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    If they're worried about immersion, they have a big problem: big, huge chat windows that cover the screen with text any time you talk to a quest NPC!

In short, they do it already with their questgivers, so why not allow players to turn on smaller, far less obtrusive bubbles for themselves and other PC?
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Ragnarr_Rock
    I think it is very much need specially for RPing
  • Malkavianqueen
    Malkavianqueen
    ✭✭✭
    I would love for people to have the option to mod them in at the very least. While I don't use them personally, I know they're very important to other roleplayers!
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there needs to be chat bubbles and I support Zenimax's decision not to have them. I'm not seeing much in the say channel that isn't a mistype of something meant for zone... however... there does need to be a way to tell who is speaking, if nothing else. They're very staunch on their wishes for an immersive experience. They want things to be seen in the animations rather than with UI alerts. I get that. I like that. I want that. It works well when fighting. What it doesn't work well with is normal communication outside of battle.

None of the actions give an alert that anyone even did the action. Yes, the character moves in some way that you should look for and that's usually plenty. I don't want spammy set-emotes cluttering my already cluttered chat window (Zeni, please... let us have pullouts or give us a blink on our tabs at the very least. I keep accidentally ignoring people), so RPers will have to rely almost solely upon watching the other character closely or doing custom emotes- which I think is /e or maybe /em. I'm not sure offhand. You can resize your chat window by pulling in the edges to make it bigger if you are having trouble looking there for your RP. It's rather lovely, I think, to be reading a conducive story rather than a wall of boxes all up on my screen. However, they forgot one very important thing, especially for us RPers. To give normal /say an animation of some sort. We don't need chat bubbles, but we do need some way of knowing someone spoke at all so that we can pay attention to that character as well as to know their position relative to us. I usually attach my dialogue to a custom emote, but you aren't always emoting all the time in conversation. Sometimes you just speak a word or two. If you want to use /say to do your RP dialogue, there needs to be some kind of animation to look for when waiting on the next post.

Look around, enjoy the view, pet your pet or child or spouse in meatspace until someone in game speaks, and your highly developed human eye catches that movement instinctively and brings your attention to the movement, then to chat window to see why they moved. Problem solved, fellow RPers and Zenimax Devs alike.
  • Juantyr
    Juantyr
    ✭✭
    I also agree, while it may seem immersion breaking, without something there really is no way to connect a person's speech with their character. Maybe if at the very least there was a visual cue like an particle effect or a small icon or something to show they said something can help make the connection. Overall, as it stands, it does not help build community.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Eorea wrote: »
    <snip>

Having to look at a chat window to "hear" people is hardly a strong argument for immersion, so a better idea better: we allow people to turn it on and off depending on their preference, and everyone is happy!

If there's a middle ground that can make the most people happy rather than one party or another, that's usually the best choice. :)
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Marsamm
    Marsamm
    Soul Shriven
    I very much think that chat bubbles are needed because if someone doesn't have a third party voice communication like a muble or a teamspeak it is very hard to communicate with them because most people don't look down at the chat box that often. Also another reason is that when you are in a city like daggerfall the box is moving very fast with people talking in zone so if you aren't paying attention you might miss someone right in front of you trying to talk to you. Just my input but I think they should at least be an option.
  • LukeFRAGWARS
    IMHO Chat bubbles are essential in mmorpg to connect players on very basic level and they allow player to enjoy game while talking to someone without being forced to look at chat 24/7 to know if someone was talking to them.

Bubbles are needed - it should be part of the game from very beginning and not an addon/mod but the very core of communication aspect in game.
  • He11cat
    He11cat
    ✭✭
    i will stand outside the Zenimax office with a picket sign if i must to get chat bubbles. i've spoken in local a few times to try and inform people regarding a quest spawn, and NOPE! they didnt see it, nor did i know where any of the chat was coming from
  • DanMan3395
    Bruro wrote: »
    I think ESO developers are going for this immersion thing but at the same time they want to have mmorpg players as main customers. And they just don't implement things mmorpg players want to see in an mmorpg. That is just so simple and sad :/ Would too like to see chatbubbles. It is hard to RP with a group of people without bubbles.

I actually find the lack of bubbles and the lack of a talking animation to be severely reducing my immersion. Feels like im in a wax museum with a chat room. I cannot tell who is who or who is saying what.
  • fordfx2b14a_ESO
    I too would support this idea!
  • CresentChaos
    Hello Fellow Beings,
    I'm Just Dropping by to Say that I too, Support this Idea, and hope that it gets noticed.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    the more people that /feedback this ingame. the better.
  • Geezer5000
    speech bubbles are crucial
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I definitely submitted a /feedback ticket about it, and suggested the optional (toggle on/off) feature so that way everyone can be happy. Even if we compromised and just had chat bubbles for the /say window that would be perfect, it's not like the /say chat is being used very much compared to the /zone chats anyway, so if it's the idea of seeing hundreds of chat bubbles everywhere that they're worried about, it won't be an issue. If anything, more roleplayers would be using the /say chat and it would make the game seem even more immersive and engaging.
    Edited by nalimoleb14_ESO on April 2, 2014 3:58AM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I definitely submitted a /feedback ticket about it, and suggested the optional (toggle on/off) feature so that way everyone can be happy. Even if we compromised and just had chat bubbles for the /say window that would be perfect, it's not like the /say chat is being used very much compared to the /zone chats anyway, so if it's the idea of seeing hundreds of chat bubbles everywhere that they're worried about, it won't be an issue. If anything, more roleplayers would be using the /say chat and it would make the game seem even more immersive and engaging.

Exactly, and if theres a problem with intrusive people spamming in say.

A simple ignore would solve it. And it would be account wide so people will have to be more competent in what they do and say. There is already addons that auto ignore gold spammers. Auto report I'd perfer but until they make reporting spammers more easier (just as easy as ignore), will just have to ignore them.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too crazy about the barebones a lot of people like, I prefer those features myself, especially chat bubbles...I miss them and I would hope somebody can create an addon for them.

I wish zenimax would have added them in but made them toggable on/off like most MMORPGs do. Can somebody create such an addon like chat bubbles though? Or is that too much into coding it wouldn't be possible unless done by zenimax?

Really, I love this game and to make my life complete would be chat bubbles and player housing and you have me for life <3
  • fordfx2b14a_ESO
    I honestly don't know how they dismissed this from the game, it truly is a crucial way to tell if someone standing right in front of you is talking either at your or near you.
  • BlackFlagon
    /agree wholeheartedly. It feels like a silent wasteland full of heavily-armed and armored mutes around here. Chat bubbles at least engage the imaginative side of my brain and allow me to read what someone is saying in the world screen, as opposed to the chat box. Having to read all chat in the chat box really rips your attention away from the local players in front of you.

WE NEED CHAT BUBBLES! :wink:
  • One-Winged
    One-Winged
    Soul Shriven
    This is indeed a great idea. I like ESO's UI, but if someone made this optional featutr, I would certainly use it sometimes.
    Angel.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    I'm not too crazy about the barebones a lot of people like, I prefer those features myself, especially chat bubbles...I miss them and I would hope somebody can create an addon for them.

I wish zenimax would have added them in but made them toggable on/off like most MMORPGs do. Can somebody create such an addon like chat bubbles though? Or is that too much into coding it wouldn't be possible unless done by zenimax?

Really, I love this game and to make my life complete would be chat bubbles and player housing and you have me for life <3

Unfortunately, it was already said by multiple sources that its not possible to make it with an addon.

Zenimax must do it.
  • Stordyr
    Stordyr
    This game needs chat bubbles so badly....
  • raykai12000b16_ESO
    raykai12000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    for now the API is not allowing this ... there is no way for a addon to fallow a player in the 3d world and add a panel on top of their life bar for a text bubble till zanimax change this restriction i don't see how we could do this.
    [Guild]:
    <The Dredge [DDGE]> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required |http://ddge.zapto.org
    [Addon Author] :
    My addon : Reloadui Extra Slash Commands
  • strictlyotterrwb17_ESO
    Chat bubbles are a must for me. I'm really miffed as to why they don't implement them as a toggle option.

It kills the immersion and social aspects when there's 20 people on the screen just standing there, silent. Interacting with those around you is one of the best parts of mmorpgs.
  • DragonMother
    DragonMother
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a toggle for chatbubbles, even a floating vanishing kind over your characters head would be really nice. I could see that actually going quite well with the games UI without breaking it, but I'm not sure how to implement such a thing. I know there's little flag notices from "Lootdrop" that might work for such a thing, but you'd have to have the capability to move them around to where you want them to be displayed so they appear to you where you look for them.
    Demi, Adult female, Guild leader, Roleplayer & TES enthusiast
    I trust my instincts, more than I trust other peoples opinions.
    Four years, and still present. Sanguine still lives.
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    This one agrees that having the ability to perceive what others are trying to convey is a most sensible idea. With the myriad of magicians running about, making glowing words in the air should be a minor task at best.
  • Warlunatic
    Warlunatic
    Soul Shriven
    Ok imagine running into a very over populated area say 100+ people on screen and u decide to turn chat bubbles on. what will u see? gold spammers over lapping everything multiple people in the same spot with overlapping chat bubbles again. and a whole lot more reason to get dc. I disagree that this game shall need chat bubbles as there is enough options in chat tabs to keep everything simple and easy to read yet these few tamrians seem not to believe.

If you are in an area with one player needing some help theres 2 ways to make him know ur there 1 being /Say chat, 2 being a simple whisper and theres no doubt he will see it.

if you are trying to RP with a group of 3 or more there is a thing called /Party also making it VERY CLEAR to know you are RP.

Ultimately there is a very CLEAR way to distinguish the different channel chats in our box being the ability to CHANGE CHAT COLOURS. these things are simple reasons why chat bubbles are NOT necessary and I think these tamrians need to look into these chat options.

on another note, having trouble reading the text? lower your UI scale - upsize you chat box - upsize you text scale in the social options menu

SIMPLE MEASURES
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    Warlunatic wrote: »
    Ok imagine running into a very over populated area say 100+ people on screen and u decide to turn chat bubbles on. what will u see? gold spammers over lapping everything multiple people in the same spot with overlapping chat bubbles again. and a whole lot more reason to get dc. I disagree that this game shall need chat bubbles as there is enough options in chat tabs to keep everything simple and easy to read yet these few tamrians seem not to believe.

If you are in an area with one player needing some help theres 2 ways to make him know ur there 1 being /Say chat, 2 being a simple whisper and theres no doubt he will see it.

if you are trying to RP with a group of 3 or more there is a thing called /Party also making it VERY CLEAR to know you are RP.

Ultimately there is a very CLEAR way to distinguish the different channel chats in our box being the ability to CHANGE CHAT COLOURS. these things are simple reasons why chat bubbles are NOT necessary and I think these tamrians need to look into these chat options.

on another note, having trouble reading the text? lower your UI scale - upsize you chat box - upsize you text scale in the social options menu

SIMPLE MEASURES
    I can see your point, but thinking back to playing in City of Heroes, there were many times I was in the midst of very large groups of people, all with chat bubbles on and had no problem either with distinguishing between them or blocking my view.

Personally I prefer floating text to chat bubbles as it has less of a comic book look to it. I can however see that just floating text in ESO would be just a mishmash of letters from the viewpoints that our characters have. Unless the devs could actually pull off glowing writing in the air for everyone heh.

One method that I have used in past games that had separable chat tabs was to dedicate a tab to /say, and then pull that tab over to were it would be easy to see anytime. This worked especially well if it was possible to make the background of the tab invisible.

One adapts though, back in early EQ we had one chat tab and we liked it that way! Yessiir, we liked it just fine. *Hobbles off mumbling about uphill in both directions!*