Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.2.0 is available.
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Oakensoul nerf

• Eratas_Dualitas
    Eratas_Dualitas
    Soul Shriven
    They could create a complete and unique new buff for it.

There are sets like "Lefthander's Aegis Belt" and "Rallying Cry" that are affected by Battle Spirit, surely they can do the same with Oakensoul, like:

"While Battle Spirit is not active, gain Major Force at all times..." Something like that.

Also, will ZOS give me back my 2 million golds I used to improve the sets I farmed during those months?
    Because they made a lot of them completely useless with some changes. (like Tzogvin)

I'm all for the damages, I don't care about protection and mending buffs...
  • Wildbloom
    Wildbloom
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could create a complete and unique new buff for it.

There are sets like "Lefthander's Aegis Belt" and "Rallying Cry" that are affected by Battle Spirit, surely they can do the same with Oakensoul, like:

"While Battle Spirit is not active, gain Major Force at all times..." Something like that.

Also, will ZOS give me back my 2 million golds I used to improve the sets I farmed during those months?
    Because they made a lot of them completely useless with some changes. (like Tzogvin)

I'm all for the damages, I don't care about protection and mending buffs...

I liked the idea of the ring giving minor (or even major) slaying, if the nerfs bring the ring below where they want it to be. That would buff the ring in PvE without affecting pvp. This would really only be an issue for people who use the ring ontop of raid sets that also bring minor slaying, but I feel like if you're able to get a hold of a set like that, you're probably not using Oakensoul.

Just my two cents.
    "Hello, Skellington Pal! How are you today? Bone dry, you say? I’d offer you a glass of water, but it’d all fall through! I need more coffee."

ZOS_GinaBruno, patch 5.0.1 PTS patch notes, 4/22/2019
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2 problem buffs for pvp were heroism and force the others not so much effectively giving people spammble level access to ults and giving gankers insanely broken crit dmg
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    some people actually thought that this ring wouldn't get nerfed? LOL

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

It’s not as super unbalanced as you think, especially in PvE. In PvP there are outliers that could have rained in check easily without a full out nerf on this mythic.

And unfortunately, this is only the result of the clear desire to sell a lackluster content patch with good items only.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 15, 2022 6:49PM
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Add Major Slayer and Oakensoul becomes fine for PvE again without there being any impact in PvP.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tra_Lalan wrote: »
    I don't understand it.

All those radical changes are beeing done in the name of closing the gap, and making the game more easy for less skilled players. And in the same time - oaken soul ring - the item that all those players loved, and felt like it helps them with playing harder content, (thus made the harder content more accesible) - this item is beeing nerfed to a trash.
    Where is logic in that? Can someone explain it to me?

I don't think that the changes are about making harder content accessible for the average player. Devs may be many things but stupid isn't one of them. They are bound to realize that what they are proposing won't meet the stated goal. So I have no idea why they are doing this.
    PS5/NA
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DairyCat wrote: »
    Yep. An older gentleman in my guild with significant mobility issues has been looking forward to finally getting his ring and going on world boss tours with his wife.
    Now he gets a nerf, all because zos is INCAPABLE of balancing their stuff sensibly.

People were running one bar builds before Oakensoul, they will continue to do so after the nerf with Oakensoul lol.

"People" may but I won't.
    PS5/NA
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mainly used Oakensoul for PvP and I've tried it with nine different builds.

The nerfed Oakensoul will be useless for solo PvP which is usually the only thing I do.

The reason is, with only one bar, you need to prioritize offense and healing. On my mDK, for example, I've run 5 offense and one heal (a leap based build with only Coag as heal plus potion) or 3 offense and 2 heals plus corrosive.

There is no room for buffs. If you run, eg Molten whip, FoO, fossilize, whirling blades and coag, how can you even get major brutality buff in a nerfed one bar build? Generally I need potion for emergency heal. Let's forget about getting major force, protection, berserk, courage with the nerfed ring.

I run solo so I've never had those buffs before (except protection)and now won't have them again.

The ring will go in the bank and I'll just go back to two bar builds.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, Warlord
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Centurion
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    I've mainly used Oakensoul for PvP and I've tried it with nine different builds.

The nerfed Oakensoul will be useless for solo PvP which is usually the only thing I do.

The reason is, with only one bar, you need to prioritize offense and healing. On my mDK, for example, I've run 5 offense and one heal (a leap based build with only Coag as heal plus potion) or 3 offense and 2 heals plus corrosive.

There is no room for buffs. If you run, eg Molten whip, FoO, fossilize, whirling blades and coag, how can you even get major brutality buff in a nerfed one bar build? Generally I need potion for emergency heal. Let's forget about getting major force, protection, berserk, courage with the nerfed ring.

I run solo so I've never had those buffs before (except protection)and now won't have them again.

The ring will go in the bank and I'll just go back to two bar builds.

Good. If many PvP player decide it is more a detriment than a benefit to them, those of us that only PvE can maybe get some of the buffs we lost back. The -5% protection really hurts when in a long tough battle, although many disagree with me here. And from what I am hearing the +215 weapon damage we lose will be needed when the patch goes live due to other DPS nerfs across the board.

They are are on the right track, but If the remove major heroism not just reduce it the ulti spam would not be a problem, and remove or reduce major force to neuter some one shot ganking maybe both camps will be happier IMO.
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, I play from Australia and I can make do with 350 ping; which from reading forum posts from NA players would be enough to make them throw their toys.

I really liked Oakensoul for the fact that while I am not physically disabled, I am game client to server disabled, and this made My player experience more enjoyable by not having to worry about effective combat capability in PVE or PVP.

If I cannot control, improve or enhance my connectivity to have the same capability as someone physically closer to the server, then I appreciated a tool which could help my simplify my rotation while still maintaining decent damage.

I agree the ring should not be a substitute for those that can utilise 2 bars for maximum damage.

I do not think it should have ever been usable in PVP, for clear and obvious reasons.

I will still play the game occasionally, but wooooow, do I swear now to never spend money on sub or cash store items going forward, as I am that bitter about this change a month after I bought the expansion on the now incorrect expectation that what I saw was what I would get.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If a build that requires you to not use half your skills is ever optimal, then balancing failed. Lots of players will get defensive of what makes their characters powerful, but it's not like that automatically makes them enjoy the kind of gameplay it creates.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    If a build that requires you to not use half your skills is ever optimal, then balancing failed. Lots of players will get defensive of what makes their characters powerful, but it's not like that automatically makes them enjoy the kind of gameplay it creates.

Not true at all. At all
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Thorncrypt
    Thorncrypt
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know of official reasoning provided by any developer or community manager about why they do not currently balance pvp and pve separately? considering the sheer amount of sets that exist, I find it hard to believe that they will ever be able to balance both properly at the same time.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    ―Black Sacrament incantation

• DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honetsly, i don't get why it is still one bar after nerf.
    I had to slot Hircine Rage (not using it as i play not in a WW form) just for Major Berserk.
    Now i have to slot it on my frontbar sorry, my onlybar again, because of the nerf
    (ok, i can now remove Barbed Trap, as Minor Force is given, but how do i get Major one? both resto staff or Aggressive Horn belong to a backbar, but i don't have any backbar?)
    i also have no idea how do i get the Major protection (not being a Necromancer) ?
    also Major Heroism not being a Warden?

TL/DR; please cancel 1-bar restriction if you are serious about nerf.
    PC EU
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    I had to slot Hircine Rage (not using it as i play not in a WW form) just for Major Berserk.
    Uhh this isn't a passive skill you can slot for berserk.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    Honetsly, i don't get why it is still one bar after nerf.
    Now i have to slot it on my frontbar sorry, my onlybar again, because of the nerf
    (ok, i can now remove Barbed Trap, as Minor Force is given, but how do i get Major one? both resto staff or Aggressive Horn belong to a backbar, but i don't have any backbar?)
    i also have no idea how do i get the Major protection (not being a Necromancer) ?
    also Major Heroism not being a Warden?

TL/DR; please cancel 1-bar restriction if you are serious about nerf.

You get major heroism the same way every other build has to get it, minimal uptime using a set.

You get major protection the same way every other build has to get it, slotting a skill.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS did this to themselves. They released this ring when ignoring feedback! Let me remind ZoS and everyone else it was they who said " We are doubling down " Meaning we are going through with it anyway.

Guess what they had to nerf in 1 patch later :(

If they do what they did last patch and double down on their community this community will stop play this game. Currently I'm in a small 6 to 8 man PVP guild that plays est 8pm to 11:30pm. We have 1 sister guild that plays during the day. We do PVE and PVP. Most of us have been around since beta. We have done all the trails with some in our groups doing competitive trials. As it stands right now we have lost 4 players and these were our best players (leaders).

One thing the DEVs forget is that your high end players also tend to you be your leaders and teachers. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 15, 2022 6:53PM
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • kuldar1994
    kuldar1994
    ✭✭
    Changing oaken buffs from major to minor was much needed. The ring is still very strong but now its not must have and that is healthy for a game. Im happy!
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bummer about the nerf, I was hoping they wouldn't bonk it until q4. It let me put together a build that was non optimal but fun, build still works but its definitely not going to win any awards now (it was never a dps contender, but good enough I wouldn't feel bad for running it in some group content, now that is not the case.)
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • kuldar1994
    kuldar1994
    ✭✭
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    It's a bummer about the nerf, I was hoping they wouldn't bonk it until q4. It let me put together a build that was non optimal but fun, build still works but its definitely not going to win any awards now (it was never a dps contender, but good enough I wouldn't feel bad for running it in some group content, now that is not the case.)

Yes, however optimised builds were god tier and unfair for those that didnt have the ring.
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuldar1994 wrote: »
    MrGhosty wrote: »

Yes, however optimised builds were god tier and unfair for those that didnt have the ring.

More the reason to ban all mythics in PvP. Clearly, four dead mythics later, ZoS cannot figure out how to make them work.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Anyone not running Oakensoul and Nocturnal's Ploy next patch is gonna have an unfair time (in PvP)
    Edited by Holycannoli on July 15, 2022 6:05PM
  • kuldar1994
    kuldar1994
    ✭✭

Anyone not running Oakensoul and Nocturnal's Ploy next patch is gonna have an unfair time.

Agree, but atleast its worth a try to fight this setup. If its oaken with major buffs i dont even bother
  • Tenzi
    Tenzi
    ✭✭
    I spent quite abit of time & did a lot of work to get oak asap.
    I also do not pvp.
    Oak with the nerf & 1 bar is way too much of a handicap in solo pve.
    I am an older player with disabilities so am "slowing down" enough to make high lvl raids hard for me.
    Nerf oak in pvp, leave it alone for pve where it belongs.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a pretty good video about how the ring should be fixed.

https://youtu.be/F2-dJYZwez0

It goes into ways it can be buffed for pve while not affecting pvp,
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But it wasn't nerfed because of PvP. That's obvious when seeing all the other nerfs in the patch.

For some reason they're looking to nerf damage across the board, across all skill levels. I don't know why. They won't say other than vague "accessibility" statements which are obviously [snip].

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 15, 2022 6:55PM
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But it wasn't nerfed because of PvP. That's obvious when seeing all the other nerfs in the patch.

For some reason they're looking to nerf damage across the board, across all skill levels. I don't know why. They won't say other than vague "accessibility" statements which are obviously [snip].

there were definitely aspects that were nerfed because of pvp. it was extremely loaded in that area, much stronger than any other mythic

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 15, 2022 6:55PM
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This patch has nothing to do with Accessibility, all the changes actively lower everyone's damage at every level of play. If anything the End-game content is less accessible than it was before despite them trying to make Rotation's Easier to maintain.

Personally I think Oakensoul launched too powerfully and now it's at a decent spot where it's useful but not overbearing.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

​After removing some unnecessary back and forth from this thread, we would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here​.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    This is a pretty good video about how the ring should be fixed.

https://youtu.be/F2-dJYZwez0

It goes into ways it can be buffed for pve while not affecting pvp,

I am sick of seeing this. Leave an item for pve but not for pvp?

You do understand you swap back and forth way more in pvp right? That if your not good at it it has a way more negative outcome than losing a little dps? It needs to be viable for both
    Edited by ShadowProc on July 15, 2022 7:09PM