Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.2.0 is available.
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Oakensoul nerf

Remathilis
Remathilis
✭✭✭✭✭
Oakensoul: This set now grants the Minor versions of Courage, Berserk, Force, Protection, and Heroism, rather than the Major versions. This set now also grants Minor Mending.

Is that good enough for the PvP crowd or do we need to drag it down to Adept Rider status?
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is probably the nerf it needed. We'll have to see, but it seems about right to me.
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I am glad I haven't done the lead hunting now that they are going to nerf it very hard. I was thinking on getting it to do Maelstrom runs. Guess I will never know how is to feel overpowered. Too bad ZOS do not bother to make PVE and PVP versions of each skill. They choose to punish PVE people instead.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a buff for Sorc PvP healers because they now get Minor Mending.

Sorc PvP healers... all 6 of them.
    PC NA
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this looks like it is in a decent spot with that. I still contend Minor Heroism is a bit too much, but making the other buffs minor version helps in that regard.

I actually think this set got an indirect PVP "buff". I put buff in quotations because it is less of an actual buff and more of a reason to run the mythic. That new Nocturnal Ploy set won't be able to remove any of the major/minor buffs applied by Oakensoul, so you could run Oaken and completely shut that set down. Which is interesting imo.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll reduce gankblade burst and Corrosive uptime. No idea whether they went overboard, too many other changes.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some it is over-nerf and the item is butchered (even in PvP), but for others it is a buff, since minor buffs can still stack with major ones, so again - players that can buff-up with 2 - 3 major buffs will for sure take advantage of it.

I might be wrong, but to me, Oakensoul was supposed to help players that are not that great in this game or have some RL disability. After the nerf, I guess Oakensoul will only be helping players that are actually good at the game and stuff.

A complete reversal of the goal that was intended.

Edit:
    Played a bit on PTS and it kinda looks like um... ...They added mending, but despite that this mythic kinda feels like 1 bar penalty is kinda too much of a trade-off. Some buffs could be removed (like heroism for example) - and some should still be imho major buffs (Like Protection for example). Besides, I always thought that this thing has this many major buffs because with it, you only have 1 bar, so you can not buff-up before the fight and you need to save your bar space. So not RAT, or other pre-buff things. So, since Oakensoul almost has all of the minor buffs - they should maybe add all of them ? minor Expedition for example.

Also, just a thought: why PB & DC set did not received same treatment as Oaken ? PB was in fact buffed. We can have broken proc sets that can deal more damage than ultimates, but stat buffing sets ? Oh no, no, no, are you crazy ? We can not. Because with Oakensoul - you at least still need to deal damage yourself.

I was holding up with incorporating Oakensoul (I have it) to my build, because it was obvious that the nerf is coming. And I am glad I did not made a build, because now I would be missing a lot of gold crafting mats. I think I will stay with Gaze of Sithis. 4000 Armour is somewhere around 6% dmg mitigation, so still better than Oaken's 5%. Oaken on PTS just feels like this weird thing that gives a bit of everything and as a result you don't really have a clear benefit, while Gaze is focused on one thing - survivability.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 11, 2022 8:10PM
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these changes are good enough. Though if it were up to me, berserk and heroism wouldn't be included at all.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some like me the minor versions of the buff which are harder to obtain are better because now we can stack the major versions by means we always did before.
  • Breakwell
    Breakwell
    ✭✭✭
    People only ran this for the major heroism it’s literally useless now
  • SiAScORCH
    SiAScORCH
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is ZOS has never ever in the history of existence been able to balance PvE and PvP. If something is OP in PvP, it's nerfed and the PvE crowd gets the shaft, and vice versa.

Oakensoul was completely fine the way it was for PvE.

Literally, the one thinng ZOS needed to do to balance it for PvE and PvP was to make it so when battle spirit is active, those same major buffs, now are instead minor. That's it, the one simple thing. They failed to do it.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    it may be it, unless two proc sets are not more powerfull than actual rotation
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. An older gentleman in my guild with significant mobility issues has been looking forward to finally getting his ring and going on world boss tours with his wife.
    Now he gets a nerf, all because zos is INCAPABLE of balancing their stuff sensibly.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep. An older gentleman in my guild with significant mobility issues has been looking forward to finally getting his ring and going on world boss tours with his wife.
    Now he gets a nerf, all because zos is INCAPABLE of balancing their stuff sensibly.

Oak will be fine for overland bosses, setups in general don't matter in overland.

For pvp group play stacking major/minor will be fun, solo meh.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on July 11, 2022 8:11PM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remathilis wrote: »
    Oakensoul: This set now grants the Minor versions of Courage, Berserk, Force, Protection, and Heroism, rather than the Major versions. This set now also grants Minor Mending.

Is that good enough for the PvP crowd or do we need to drag it down to Adept Rider status?

This kind of changes should not be tied to major releases. It is clearly a problematic set, adjust the numbers now and let us see if it needs further tweaks!
    Right now PvP-ing against that set is very painful, I know you care less for veteran players but your new players are getting one shot by it, I don't think they will stick to the game after such an experience.
  • Eldartar
    Eldartar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another decent idea now only fit for the bin (trash), why bother with the introduction of such items if you're only going to kill them off after a few weeks ZOS?
    Edited by Eldartar on July 15, 2022 3:01PM
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templar has had many one bar builds made before Oakensoul.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eldartar wrote: »
    Another decent idea now only fit for the bin (trash), why bother with the introduction of such items if you're only going to kill them off after a few weeks ZOS?

As a player with severe Arthritis in my hands, that has played since beta, with this nerf and the combat changes coming in update 35, on first look it seems I will be giving up playing this game I love. I will read through the Patch Notes later, a more in depth view.

I have always played solo, always Sorc main, heavy attach, 2 pet build and 98% of the time used 1 bar. Well, finally, it would seem you win ZOS, you have managed to squeeze me from the game.

This Ring was a God send for me, now, well, it's my end game.

What exactly are you doing now that you feel you won't be able doing after the adjustments?
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    While I was hoping for just a Major Heroism Hit and possibly Major Force as those caused the biggest issues in PVP the minor versions also help with some build diversity with not needing minor force from a skill or set.

This will also buff one bar builds in group content where you will actually benefit from the major versions that the supports typically give the group ie Major Force (Tanks or Healers) and Major Courage (healers)
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SiAScORCH wrote: »
    The problem is ZOS has never ever in the history of existence been able to balance PvE and PvP. If something is OP in PvP, it's nerfed and the PvE crowd gets the shaft, and vice versa.

Literally, the one thinng ZOS needed to do to balance it for PvE and PvP was to make it so when battle spirit is active, those same major buffs, now are instead minor. That's it, the one simple thing. They failed to do it.

They always fail to do it. They REFUSE to balance the two sides of this game separately, and this time it hurts the disabled playerbase. The ring was absolutely fine in PVE and overtuned in PVP, it's impossible for it to be in a good place without balancing it separately.

I tested it in the PTS. It now feels like the penalty is too much in PVE for what you get. If they removed Heroism altogether and turned Minor Berserk and Minor Force back to major, it would be fine, but I think the change should remain as-is; but only in PVP. In PVE, it should be reverted. Just make it a battle spirit thing like you said.
  • SiAScORCH
    SiAScORCH
    ✭✭✭✭

They always fail to do it. They REFUSE to balance the two sides of this game separately, and this time it hurts the disabled playerbase. The ring was absolutely fine in PVE and overtuned in PVP, it's impossible for it to be in a good place without balancing it separately.

I tested it in the PTS. It now feels like the penalty is too much in PVE for what you get. If they removed Heroism altogether and turned Minor Berserk and Minor Force back to major, it would be fine, but I think the change should remain as-is; but only in PVP. In PVE, it should be reverted. Just make it a battle spirit thing like you said.

It's just ignorance on their end, and they don't care, if they did they would actually listen to the player base. This ring the way it was allowed people with disabilities, arthritis etc.. to close the gap to actually be able to do much more content like vet trials.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this nerf
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    Love this nerf

It's a nerf for solo players because of BG's, & pvp solo content creators.

12 player groups stacking minor/majors it's not that bad.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    These changes are really good - a nice middle ground solution.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just ignorance on their end, and they don't care, if they did they would actually listen to the player base. This ring the way it was allowed people with disabilities, arthritis etc.. to close the gap to actually be able to do much more content like vet trials.

Behind a paywall is the problem also. Also this ring was being used in most builds even from people that did not have disabilities or arthritis because it is so much easier game play. Even high end players were using this ring. Developers do not want a item that literally 90% of the players base are using that payed for the last expansion.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nefing a tool that disabled players such as myself have come to rely on is just cruel.

I trusted ZOS and now I feel betrayed.
    PS5/NA
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just shouldn't exist in pvp. If you try to make him balanced for pvp, then this will destroy him in pve.
    PC/EU
  • BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a simpler idea that ONLY impacts PVP and leaves PVE the heck alone. Simply have Battle Spirit limit these selected buffs to the minor versions or limit the ring in another way. That's it problem solved. Solo PVErs can have their beloved equipment and PVPers can have balance. It's a win-win.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this item was fine in PVE, PVP is ruining it for PVE. Find some other way to nerf it for PVP, leave it alone for PVE
  • BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a simpler idea that ONLY impacts PVP and leaves PVE the heck alone. Simply have Battle Spirit limit these selected buffs to the minor versions or limit the ring in another way. That's it problem solved. Solo PVErs can have their beloved equipment and PVPers can have balance. It's a win-win.

Edit or have a nerf that only applies in a PVP environment. Such as reducing all buffs to their minor versions in Cyrodiil, Imperial CIty, and Battlegrounds.
  • Nightwiish
    Nightwiish
    ✭✭✭
    So the ring is useless now.

They need to get rid of 1 bar restriction if these are the changes. If not, I will be contacting customer support for a refund on high isles.
    @loki220
    Nighwtiish - Stam DK