Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What are you thoughts on having consequences upon death in ESO ?

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I sometimes watch my SO play Dark Souls/Elden Ring with a mixture of pity and horror (and boredom). I could not face that level of tedium in a game and it would be one thing that would make me unsub and delete the game. And possibly leave the franchise.
    WiseSky wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    This is the most one-sided poll I've ever seen on these forums.

Probably one of the very few things most of us can agree on...

No kidding. I wonder what the OP is thinking right about now.

1. That the overland feedback thread is directly linked into this topic as having no death consequences in an mmo makes every mob and new questing zone exploration subpar, and asking that feeling of engaging content in eso is asking a different game design direction.

I think asking for more challenging overland is more about not killing a boss in two light attacks, not about being severely punished for dying.
  • Morgaledh
    Morgaledh
    ✭✭✭
    Permadeath = char gets deleted if you died

In SWG the original iteration of Jedi had permadeath attached to it. Made the bounty hunter v. Jedi wars very, very tense.
  • tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    If they institute any additional penalties for dying, such as corpse runs, perma death, literally anything, I will leave the game. Simple as that. After Everquest corpse runs, I will never again play a game that requires that. Ever.
  • HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    dukydwkuz7z5.png

Here's why.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I don't put in hours of time to earn an item ... just to have the game remove it.

I don't start fighting a Dragon with a group ... just to be wiped out, lose out on the kill and thus making the issue pointless

The whole point of playing ANY game is to have Fun. Having the stuff you earned removed is Not fun.

To have true perma-death you have to remove ressurection from Healers, which makes them less useful and less of a Type players will want to play. Anyone in the group who dies will blame the Healer for not keeping them alive.

I always 'scout' potential games before I decide to download them and give them a try. Any game that has perma-death or 'you lose items if you die' Never gets my money.

:#
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Servers - asleep more than anything!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I don't even like having to repair my gear. No thanks.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I highly doubt anyone is going to be a yes. Why would anyone want to spend thousands of hours on a character to have it deleted. Just no.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    There's a big difference between challenging and punishing, dying to challenging content is fine and can even make the process of getting the thing you want more fun, now getting punished for dying beyond the encounter resetting just makes you feel bad and not want to continue trying out of fear of losing even more.
  • ImmortalElf13
    ImmortalElf13
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    This isn't WoW
    Pulchra floralibus mitram iuro, tibi desinet.
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    A big NO from me. My punishment is mounting a freaking horse for 5 minutes until I arrive to the next battle. Punishment enough.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Gnesnig wrote: »
    There is no real cost for death in the game. Couple that with underwhelming bosses for 99% of the solo content, makes the game seem too easy.

It shouldn't be frustrating, but the way things are now is far too easy and because of the scaling, everything seems generic. At present, I'd say the self life for me is six months as I'm already dreading certain repetative tasks and seeing the same patterns applied in all story lines.

A more stringent penalty for death isn't going to fix all that, but it's a good step towards that.

Maybe add new levels of difficulty to the world, increasing for example a 5-10% the chance of getting a item set.
    But don't do a punishment system. Do a reward system. Punishment will scare new players. And rewards will keep both new and old players as well.

People this days walk around Tamriel without being afraid of the skies (I miss you Skyrim).
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Having played EQ for 7 years, hard pass.

Every MMO developer and every gamer who thinks these things would be cool should watch this video on "Quit Moments":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhQ_jKFnFSU
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    As someone who enjoys "souls" and "souls-like" games and is usually up for a challenge. I feel those kind of hardcore mechanics do not belong in a game like ESO.

I've completed several souls and souls-like games on PC including Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Elden Ring, Code Vein, Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Shell, Nioh 1, Nioh 2, The Surge 1, The Surge 2, Blasphemous, Grime, Hellpoint, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary...

And they all felt hard but fair. If I died it was my fault and not because of bad performance, glitches or bugs.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    As Josh Strife Hayes recently put it, death is its own punishment in a game because you have to spend more time trying again. If you punish the player by taking away anything earned prior to the encounter then you are actively working against them learning to overcome that encounter. Imagine if Vet Maelstrom had experience loss for ever death, it would lose any appear it still has. The challenge of overcoming those encounters is a reward and the penalty in this case is not moving on to the next round.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I vote no but there can be a cost in PVP if you've just farmed 5k tels and someone gives you a good twotting and it's byebye tels. Perhaps something along those lines would be interesting in PVE?
  • kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Heck no!!! The good old days of EverQuest was fun at the time, but being a lot older now I don't have all day to retrieve my corpse and loose lvls to death, and you mention perma death, 😮😮😮😮 No one would ever play that MMO.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    grkkll wrote: »
    I vote no but there can be a cost in PVP if you've just farmed 5k tels and someone gives you a good twotting and it's byebye tels. Perhaps something along those lines would be interesting in PVE?

No thank you.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Meh.
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    JKorr wrote: »
    Gnesnig wrote: »
    JKorr wrote: »
    No, and just in case, Oh HECK NO.

Want new players to run away screaming?

As a 51 year old newbie that started in March, first gaming experience on Atari Pong machines, nintendo 8-bit, c-64/128, sega 16 and so on, please don't think of me a little kid that is helpless, can't find his way and throws a hissy fit.

As a 60 year old with first experience of gaming with pen&paper D&D, Pong, Atari, and of course, Nintendo as a background, I'm not sure what you're going for here. I know from personal experience and through the forums exactly how much fun was had by *new players* [not little kids] to the game dealing with some of the bosses at early release. When you have a large number of players constantly dying to Doshia and DopplegangerLyris until they outlevel the quests by around 10 levels, that is a lot of dying and trying again. Now, add in losing experience that would de-level your character for even more of a disadvantage, and losing gear. If dying to a boss just dumped you farther into "experience debt" so you had no hope of managing to get back to where you were without starting the whole cycle over again, why on Nirn would you bother?

The players having issues with Doshia [especially for EP faction] and for eveyone with doppleLyris weren't throwing hissy fits either. For EP Doshia transformed too close to walls; players, even if they knew to destroy the orbs couldn't see them until they touched Doshia and healed her. Same issue with doppleLyris. The devs listened to the complaints and did some tweaking.

Be careful, I was in another topic, a while back and had a comment removed because I said Doshia was the reason overland content was nerfed. Apparently NPCs are included in the no naming and shaming rule...
    Edited by lordspyder on June 30, 2022 10:58PM
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Corpse runs, your gear being looted by NPC's, loss of experience/levels on death, loss of skills on death, etc. are all things that were better suited to the MMORPG/MUD environment of 1995-2000 than they are in a modern MMORPG. And before that I had my fill of YASD (Google it) in Sierra adventure games.

I much prefer ESO's system of rewarding you for NOT dying (in certain content)

Some mechanics I don't miss that were in some RPG-type games I used to play:

Shadow of Yserbius - On death you lost skill/spell points (ranks in a skill or spell line such as lockpicking or casting a fireball), experience, and possibly levels. You also got sent back to the start of the dungeon if you didn't "save", which could be a VERY long walk since you could only travel one room at a time in any direction and it was a VERY large dungeon, and you had the added bonus of having to kill everything you killed to get there all over again since almost all scripted NPC encounters spawned when players entered the room. You could also lose any items such as potions or lockpicks that were not flagged as permanent.

The Realm Online -- On death you lost experience, and if you died more you could lose levels, since your level was determined based on total earned experience. Any items not in your character's backpack would be dropped on the ground, where monsters and other players could loot them. This included your gold and mana (since mana was stored in a physical form as "Mana Crystals.") It was entirely possible to lose your weapon (since your "equipped" gear was considered to be in your inventory) which when combined with the loss of levels meant you might not be able to kill the monster that looted your stuff to get it back. Players could also kill you and loot the stuff you dropped, originally anywhere outside of a town, later only in certain areas; eventually the level loss was removed.

A certain MUD on which I was a builder and implementor for many years (heavily modified CircleMUD) -- dying meant the loss of experience and possibly levels, but worse, above a certain level, you had a fixed % chance per equipped item slot for that item to be permanently destroyed. To make it even more frustrating, there were certain rooms known as "death trap" rooms -- entering one of those rooms caused you to immediately and permanently lose ALL of your character's equipped items and inventory. Your corpse laid on the ground when you died; and any wandering monsters could loot it, up to their maximum carry weight, so your gear could get split between 1-5 or more npc's which you might not be able to kill to get it back. Other players could also loot it if you had earned a criminal bounty, or they could pkill you and loot your corpse that way if they won (and you could loot them if they lost.)

Since many character items and gear were specially created for winning quests and events, and could not otherwise be obtained, it was entirely possible to lose extremely rare and powerful items and have no way to replace them at all, ever, unless one of us implementors/immortals happened to run a quest again, and you happened to win it, and we happened to think you deserved to be able to pick your own prize. Later on we coded in a flag you could put on objects in the game to prevent them from being looted or destroyed; one prize players could pick if they won a quest was to have that flag added to one of their items. All items were bound to character and could not be (legally) traded by any means, and there was no bank system, so you could not just stash gear on your alts to "save" it.

In addition, you had to pay rent for the game to save your stuff when you logged out every night. If you just quit and did not rent, your gear would just fall on the floor for anyone to take it. Even if you did rent, but didn't have enough gold to pay the rent after awhile, the game would "helpfully" sell your gear and inventory to pay your rent, until you had nothing left.

You had a choice once you hit a certain level to gain a substantial permanent stat and XP gain boost, in exchange for permanent death -- if you died on that character, it was deleted and all of your inventory and gear were thusly destroyed in turn.

Just a trip down memory lane.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    dukydwkuz7z5.png

Here's why.

I find it astonishing that there are even 13 people who wanted permadeath.

It's easy to do, just delete your account up front and save the time and trouble.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    As Josh Strife Hayes recently put it, death is its own punishment in a game because you have to spend more time trying again. If you punish the player by taking away anything earned prior to the encounter then you are actively working against them learning to overcome that encounter. Imagine if Vet Maelstrom had experience loss for ever death, it would lose any appear it still has. The challenge of overcoming those encounters is a reward and the penalty in this case is not moving on to the next round.
    This, now imagine its an pug dungeon :smiley:
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    There is literally a quest in the public dungeon in Coldharbor that forces you to jump to your death to complete it.

I guess you should save that quest until the very LAST possible one...
  • Reaver999
    Reaver999
    ✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Dying with consequences and difficult gameplay is more for single player games where you can set the difficulty if you think getting stressed out is fun. It's like people that think overland content should be harder would be the first to complain when it takes to long or is too hard to grind their gear. MMORPGs are supposed to more relaxed, this is just my opinion of course.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But there ARE consequences.

Dying in PVP in Cyrodiil has the consequence of being extremely inconvenient and can lead to loss of keeps, resources and campaigns.

Dying in Imperial City has the consequence of having half your Tel Var Stones stolen plus being very inconvenient.

ESO is not Dark Souls or Elden Ring (unfortunately), but even the ultra casual PVE offering has consequences: Dying in vet trials, DLC dungeons, and solo arena's, can lead to having to do multiple attempts, frustration and even failure to complete.

Edited by Rowjoh on July 1, 2022 7:39AM
  • AoEnwyr
    AoEnwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    I've played some other MMORPG's that have this mechanic and it's rarely done well. It discourages risk taking and spontaneous overland play. In BDO for example, most people's "mains" end up being show ponies because loosing even a fraction of a percentage of xp at high levels or having gems shatter worth millions is just not worth it.

I want to be able to throw in with a random group to help people get through content or have others give it a go with me. I want to be able to experiment with builds in the actual world, not just standing at a training dummy parsing stats to see if it's worth the risk.

This game has it's risk incorporated in other systems, like the crime and punishment with Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. You already have repair costs and soul gem requirements for dying and resurrecting. Old style body runs should remain in the past where they served as little more than a means to unnecessarily draw out content because there was a lack of actual engaging gameplay with repeatable value
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    The fact that VMA is designed for you to die in order to learn the mechanics invalidates the OP's post. Never going to happen in this game.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    So here's the rub:

The game can already be punishing for players who want it. You want permadeath? Well, if you die, delete your character. You can already do that. You want hardcore survival mechanics? Set a timer and make sure you waste some food and drink every hour in the game, travel to your house and lay down in a bed every couple hours, and make sure you don't spend more than ten minutes away from a campfire when traveling in snowy areas. You don't like that health automatically regenerates? Turn yourself into a vampire!

People are already able to set challenges for themselves and make the game harder. This poll isn't asking for that. This poll is asking "Should we force everyone else to follow these rules, whether they like it or not?" and turns out, most people don't like to be forced to do things. Turns out, the Elder Scrolls series was kind of founded on the idea of freedom. "Go where you want to go, do what you want to do, be who you want to be" not "we're forcing you do be this person, doing this thing, in this place".
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No please, Here is why :
    Permadeath = char gets deleted if you died
    Levels, Skills, experience and CP lost upon death
    Equipment, Inventory and Gold destroyed or being left to be looted by other players
    Having to walk back to your body to get your stuff and respawn.
    Having to travel back to the area every time you died, as you respawn at a temple
    Having to go through an obstacle course in oblivion to come back to life

The above suggestion would be even more challenging, but mostly even more frustrating, than hard core games like Dark Souls and Elden Ring, which brutally punish death.

So its a big NO from me.