Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Male Companions

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of players with male characters walking around with Bastian Hallix.

Well, while there might be stats about gender preference in companions, we don't know the reasons for the players' choice. I personally would prefer a male companion, but as I don't care much for Bastian, I had Mirri before and now Isobel. In the end, for me, character is more important then gender.
    No way to make everyone happy with companions, though making a male and female version of the same companion MIGHT be a better approach.

How would that be possible if new companions are still obtained through a quest and exist as individual npcs with a background story when you first meet them?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I see a lot of players with male characters walking around with Bastian Hallix.

Well, while there might be stats about gender preference in companions, we don't know the reasons for the players' choice. I personally would prefer a male companion, but as I don't care much for Bastian, I had Mirri before and now Isobel. In the end, for me, character is more important then gender.
    No way to make everyone happy with companions, though making a male and female version of the same companion MIGHT be a better approach.

How would that be possible if new companions are still obtained through a quest and exist as individual npcs with a background story when you first meet them?

I haven't seen anything in the starting quests that is specific to whether the companion is male or female. The dialog would need to be recorded for each of course and the mini quests for each would probably need adjustments. That is why I noted that it would take more design. Doable, and it might meet the desires expressed here.

Me? I prefer more female companions so it is no skin off my nose if nothing happens.

I do use Bastian because he makes a decent tank.

Edited by FlopsyPrince on June 19, 2022 11:13PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything in the starting quests that is specific to whether the companion is male or female. The dialog would need to be recorded for each of course and the mini quests for each would probably need adjustments. That is why I noted that it would take more design. Doable, and it might meet the desires expressed here.

But how would you implement it? If you meet the (not yet) companion npc as a questgiver, they already have a certain physical form.

Also, considering that they only give us 2 new companion each year, I'm afraid if they have to duplicate all texts for a female and a male version, which means twice the effort, there will only be 1 new companion a year then.

Edited by Syldras on June 19, 2022 11:27PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    ...it's interesting how most people define appealing characters by their look only, but there's rarely a word about character traits (except for "flirty"). So a flirty muscle hunk who is a misogynist and so dumb that he can't count to 5 would be your dream companion?

Being good looking and flirty does not equal being an unintelligent muscle bound woman hater.

Verandis Ravenwatch has a very desirable appearance to me but I also see him as intelligent and noble.

Captain Rian Liore is very handsome in my opinion, but also intelligent, no nonsense and a strong leader.

I find Jakarn cute and flirty and playful and he knows how to get the job done. He is also a lot of fun to go on missions with.

Bastian on the other hand, I find homely with a goofy look on his face, and too big a goody two shoes to be any fun.

Glad to see this explanation, I mentioned somewhere in the post about backstory and personality for Verandis. It is a long thread though, so I don't expect it to be read all the way through. :)
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    That just means the Warden and Necro will be dudes....

If the Necromancer ends up being male and Argonian, I am going to be so happy.
    Ipsius wrote: »
    Again, ask yourself why.

I'm gay.
    Edited by Jusey1 on June 19, 2022 11:37PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... I find Verandis, Rian Liore, and Jakarn totally awful. All of them. Eww. Though I do have to say Rian Liore is just not attractive, and not over-intelligent.

Verandis is ugly, and a vampire. Jakarn is a simpering womanizer. Just UGH.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, I have the impression that one of the 2 companions each year intentionally is a local from the country where the chapter takes place (It's very clear with Isobel; and Bastian, well, no matter how he behaves, he is an Imperial). So, what are the assumptions about the next chapter? Telvanni Peninsula? Then we'd get a Dunmer for sure, and as there were 2 women this year and we already have Mirri, probably a male Dunmer.

Edited by Syldras on June 19, 2022 11:47PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is a shame they didn't keep it so we get one male and one female companion every chapter. I personally didn't like Mirri or Bastian and had hoped we'd get some one more interesting this time.
    I really like what I've seen of Ember so far and Isobel seems okay but not really my type (just first impressions I haven't actually done much with either). But the lack of male characters is disappointing.

I live in hope that the necromancer companion will be a sexy male altmer....

(I'd also prefer if we could have alts as companions)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Well.... I find Verandis, Rian Liore, and Jakarn totally awful. All of them. Eww. Though I do have to say Rian Liore is just not attractive, and not over-intelligent.

That is how I feel about Bastian.
    PCNA
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is how I feel about Bastian.

29c.gif

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's not a bad idea to design a more easygoing character next year, but I would not like to see a womanising personality like Darien or Jakarn. This has associations with unpleasant real world issues and would leave a very sour taste in my mouth. Razum Dar? Sure. Darien without the womanising? Of course. But I'll be happy for ZOS to leave the references to romancing for actual romance quests.
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    It really is a shame they didn't keep it so we get one male and one female companion every chapter. I personally didn't like Mirri or Bastian and had hoped we'd get some one more interesting this time.
    I really like what I've seen of Ember so far and Isobel seems okay but not really my type (just first impressions I haven't actually done much with either). But the lack of male characters is disappointing.

I live in hope that the necromancer companion will be a sexy male altmer....

(I'd also prefer if we could have alts as companions)

I wasn't too thrilled to find out we wouldn't be getting a new male companion this year either. I too want a sexy male altmer companion, but that's me being bias as I do main an altmer woman :wink:
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

I am interested in hearing other players opinions of liked/loved NPC's we've encountered in ESO. Debating about it is just silly. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I love Verandis, and completely understand that others will find him distasteful. If there is an NPC in ESO that you personally liked/loved during your adventures, I'd love to hear your opinions. :smile:
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...it's interesting how most people define appealing characters by their look only, but there's rarely a word about character traits (except for "flirty"). So a flirty muscle hunk who is a misogynist and so dumb that he can't count to 5 would be your dream companion?

Being good looking and flirty does not equal being an unintelligent muscle bound woman hater.

Verandis Ravenwatch has a very desirable appearance to me but I also see him as intelligent and noble.

Captain Rian Liore is very handsome in my opinion, but also intelligent, no nonsense and a strong leader.

I find Jakarn cute and flirty and playful and he knows how to get the job done. He is also a lot of fun to go on missions with.

Bastian on the other hand, I find homely with a goofy look on his face, and too big a goody two shoes to be any fun.

Glad to see this explanation, I mentioned somewhere in the post about backstory and personality for Verandis. It is a long thread though, so I don't expect it to be read all the way through. :)

...For me, as I can not speak for anyone else, the personality and backstory are what I enjoy about Verandis, not to mention he is just a very handsome high elf...
    PCNA
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭

...For me, as I can not speak for anyone else, the personality and backstory are what I enjoy about Verandis, not to mention he is just a very handsome high elf...

You found it! That's awesome ^_^ Much appreciated! Gracias!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pleasure!
    PCNA
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I care more about the personalities than I do about how they look. I'd take a wasp companion or a chaurus over a companion like Bastian who constantly scolds me. Also, the voice matters to me. I don't want screechy or anything like that. I like the voices of the four existing companions.

I don't mind flirting/romances as long as there's dialogue to say ONCE, "Not interested." And it sticks.

I love my warden bear. Quiet, does the job well, goes along with whatever I want to do.

I'm cool with the 3 females vs. 1 male. I prefer female companions, but for those who want males, I think it's a good idea to balance it out.

(If I were to choose companions from existing NPCs, I'd choose Naryu, or Valaste, or Ayrenn.)

• Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I care more about the personalities than I do about how they look. I'd take a wasp companion or a chaurus over a companion like Bastian who constantly scolds me. Also, the voice matters to me. I don't want screechy or anything like that. I like the voices of the four existing companions.

I don't mind flirting/romances as long as there's dialogue to say ONCE, "Not interested." And it sticks.

I love my warden bear. Quiet, does the job well, goes along with whatever I want to do.

I'm cool with the 3 females vs. 1 male. I prefer female companions, but for those who want males, I think it's a good idea to balance it out.

(If I were to choose companions from existing NPCs, I'd choose Naryu, or Valaste, or Ayrenn.)

I don't think we will ever get companions that are already NPC's in the game (there is a higher possibility of them coming out as house guest, like Jakarn is at the moment) , but player opinions on which characters we like may (or may not) help for the development for future companions.
    Edited by Lady_Titania on June 20, 2022 3:18AM
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bastian is awesome ;) he is cute and very polite!
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts after reading 7 pages of posts:

There seems to be an assumption (especially in some of the earlier posts) that players choose companions with a romantic goal in mind. I have 17 female characters, half use Bastian and half Mirri (some will switch to the new companions once I get around to it). None of them were chosen to be played as a romantic interest for my character. Maybe I am misreading the posts though, and players just want characters who are easy on their own eyes?

Obviously, everyone has different opinions about what is attractive in both looks and personality. I like Bastian as a male companion, but I could also enjoy a Verandis type with a little bit of a darker edge. No matter what new companions ZOS delivers, some people will always like them and some won't. It will only get better when they add enough companions with diversity in looks, personalities, morals, gender, race, etc. to give most people at least one desirable option.

What if ZOS just let us design our own companions instead or use alts? I'm torn on this one. As someone with 17 characters who is impatiently awaiting more slots for my character ideas, I would enjoy playing around in the character creator to make companions. Also, it is a little weird to see a bunch of the same person running around, and I have to ignore their existence not to break immersion. However, it seems like something that would take a lot of work and could have unforeseen consequences. I also like being able to tell at a glance whether the characters in front of me are two players or a player and companion. Furthermore, I understand that companions were meant to be slightly-customizable NPCs, not new player characters (just give us more slots already).

I am likewise torn about the idea of creature companions. It would be fun, but some things in the current system would have to be worked out. You also lose the personalities and stories of the sentient race companions. If they were going to do that, I think I might just prefer they make our non-combat pets into combat pets first.

I really like that the different companions have different personalities and like/dislike different things. It's slightly annoying when I want to do something they don't like, but it's not that difficult to just dismiss them for a moment and bring them back out afterward, especially when you put them on the quick slot wheel. I hope they make more companion options who are morally lenient, but I also hope they make more who are lawful good and everything in between.

I don't think the gender or orientation of the developer is an indicator of whether or not he/she is capable of creating an attractive character. Again, that kind of attraction is very subjective.

I would be curious to see some actual data about the current playerbase of ESO. As many pointed out, the idea that the vast majority of gamers are male seems to be an outdated one, at least for this game, just based on my anecdotal experience as a player and someone who reads/watches a lot of fan content.

One more interesting topic that caught my eye was the mention of a lack of diverse body types for companions. Now that I think about it, that goes for most NPCs in general. I know a lot of people only want to look at characters who have "attractive" bodies, but I think the game would be more interesting with diversity in this area too. Again, what we see as attractive is subjective to an extent, and what our society deems an attractive figure is at least partly based on what we are shown in media like video games.

All that being said, I agree that I would prefer ZOS had made one of the new companions male. Eventually, I'm hoping the numbers will balance out.

Okay, now to go do what I actually got online to do this evening--paly ESO. I have to log in again, seeing as my game timed out over an hour ago...
    Edited by Kallykat on June 20, 2022 3:27AM
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (I just learned how to edit a post. Huzzah!)
    Edited by Kallykat on June 20, 2022 3:27AM
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    Kallykat wrote: »
    I forgot to respond to the OP...

All that being said (see previous post), I agree that I would prefer ZOS had made one of the new companions male. Eventually, I'm hoping the numbers will balance out.

I would love to stick all my characters in my house like house guest (unpopular opinion maybe?). Anyhow, there is also the possibility of being able to romance our companions in the future. This function I'm looking forward too, not entirely though, as we only have one male companion at the moment...
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not care for a character's looks or gender, I just care for them having funny/insightful/lore-friendly commentary and being ok with my character looting thieves troves and other owned containers... which is why I hardly use Bastian, even though I like his comments more than Mirri's.

Bastian is kind and gentle and sounds concerned that I am well after a fight, but I keep forgetting he does not like some of my character's favourite activities. Or cheese.

Mirri is a bit more flexible, and I like her comments about thieving, but when I occasionally have a sneaky mission and use the Blade of Woe to eliminate a guard... she does not like it.

Isobel is a pleasant, idealistic young woman, but again she will disapprove of thieving and murdering. Not that I do it very often, mind, just a matter of opportunity. And I do not particularly like her voice actor.

Ember is a kitten. She is enthusiastic and destructive and played along with whatever I felt like doing so far, so I guess she's my go-to choice even though I have not heard much of her commentary yet.
    PC-EU
  • XaraxDev
    XaraxDev
    ✭✭
    Bekkael wrote: »
    I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(

I have expressed the same dismay in other threads. I LOVE MEN. So, sue me. After years of games only giving you the choice to play as a male, I now play only games where I can play as female, and I always have male companions. Maybe it's odd for a woman to want to play as her own gender, and also to greatly enjoy the company of males, but I guess I'm just old fashioned. ;)

The claim that the majority of players are male isn't really a valid claim for skewed numbers when it comes to the gender of companions either IMO, if that is true. Is a group in the minority (such as female gamers) any less deserving of consideration or thoughtful inclusion?

Hopefully, there will be balance brought to this issue in the near future. I do adore Bastian, but I like new, shiny companions too. Do it for us ladies, ZOS, please and thank you! <3

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was very disappointed by the lack of male companions in this game. I love to make my homes feel lively with npcs my character would actually want to interact with and as a female I prefer males as well. This game as a whole seems to have a shortage of male npcs in lead roles and and quests in this game . I feel skyrim was better balanced in that way. I think they are trying to cater to the men in this game by limiting are choices for unique housguests and companions to mostly female. I really hope we get some talking male elf companions or houseguests someday too. As female dark elf character I dont have access to any male dark elf or any talking male elves to put in my house. We have only 2 with 1 line. Hopefully they will recognize this and resolve the imbalance
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    XaraxDev wrote: »
    I think they are trying to cater to the men in this game by limiting are choices for unique housguests and companions to mostly female.

I rather suspect that it's about strengthening the presence of strong female characters. But it also doesn't result in gender equality just by shifting the focus and now having more female protagonists than male ones. However, it is just as strange that Tales of Tribute has a clear majority of male characters.

• Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are trying to cater to the men in this game by limiting are choices for unique housguests and companions to mostly female.

Whether was intentional by the developers or not this is what I took away from the situation. High Isle in particular left me feeling that there was a male demographical group they were aiming at. I don't know if it's controversial to say so but but none my female gaming friends would be enticed to play ESO by card games and Laura Bailey.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I think it's not a bad idea to design a more easygoing character next year, but I would not like to see a womanising personality like Darien or Jakarn. This has associations with unpleasant real world issues and would leave a very sour taste in my mouth. Razum Dar? Sure.

There's a quest in Elsweyr that's basically about Razum-dar being in trouble because he had an affair with three young sisters, promised each of them marriage and then just dumped them. There's even a crown store pet jokingly implying that his affairs often get pregnant, want him to care for the children - but he just sells them:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ja'khajiit_Raz
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I don't mind flirting/romances as long as there's dialogue to say ONCE, "Not interested.

100% agreed! Not only for companions, but also for story NPCs. Jakarn starting almost every sentence with "Hey handsome!" (or whatever it is in English) is more than annoying. It's unimmersive as well, because my character would definitively not approve and would have made that very clear - but as a player you can't tell him to cut it out even once. I already found it annoying with Naryu, by the way, but Jakarn is doing it even more excessively.
    XaraxDev wrote: »
    This game as a whole seems to have a shortage of male npcs in lead roles and and quests in this game . I feel skyrim was better balanced in that way. I think they are trying to cater to the men in this game by limiting are choices for unique housguests and companions to mostly female.

Well, in Skyrim the NPCs leading through the story in the DLCs were Serana in Dawnguard and Frea in Dragonborn. I have once read an article about game design (not specific about TES though) where they explained why many games choose (younger) female characters to lead through stories or as companions: Because they consider it as catering to both male and female players. (Straight) male players would find them attractive, female players would consider them something like a female best friend and also would endorse it as "female representation" and an act of equality. Of course it's stereotyping as well, as obviously they can't imagine that there are staight female or gay male players who would like so see an attractive guy, or straight male players who would prefer some "guy best friend" figure more than a potential love interest. Let alone that there could also be interest in older characters, like, for example, a wise, fatherly guy.
    High Isle in particular left me feeling that there was a male demographical group they were aiming at. I don't know if it's controversial to say so but but none my female gaming friends would be enticed to play ESO by card games and Laura Bailey.

But most straight guys probably wouldn't like Jakarn's continuous flirting very much. I think that was a nod to female players who found him attractive in the base game (just that they failed and made him outright creepy this time). I think they really tried to have something for everyone (I know women who love card games, by the way), but the outcome is debatable.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Jordan_Black
    Jordan_Black
    ✭✭✭
    A companion with that cynical and cranky old nord voice would be great.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But most straight guys probably wouldn't like Jakarn's continuous flirting very much. I think that was a nod to female players who found him attractive in the base game (just that they failed and made him outright creepy this time). I think they really tried to have something for everyone (I know women who love card games, by the way), but the outcome is debatable.

Yes, I think a nod is about the level we got with this one. Even the one male companion we have has less comments and less care with his integration into the world than the others. It's hard not to feel a little like an after thought. As for the cards, well, my perception is that is that tends to marketed more heavily towards men despite how many women play it - so that played into how I felt towards the way the new expansion has been promoted.
    edit. to clarify.
    Edited by Treselegant on June 23, 2022 2:08AM
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male. Males generally prefer female companions. Alot even female characters. Look around the zones. I would say most of the characters are female.

You have no substantiated evidence of this. I will bet you that the male player base is a very, very small majority of the player base in an MMORPG. If you were to say MMO-PVP game like LOL then maybe yes, but not in an MMORPG Elder Scrolls game.