Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Male Companions

Lady_Titania
Lady_Titania
✭✭✭
I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That just means the Warden and Necro will be dudes.....

Right Zos?

You're gonna make them Dudes.

You can't leave it unbalanced, Symmetry demands Dudes
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male. Males generally prefer female companions. Alot even female characters. Look around the zones. I would say most of the characters are female.
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male. Males generally prefer female companions. Alot even female characters. Look around the zones. I would say most of the characters are female.

This is the problem. There are too many females and not enough males in the game. Many women also play this game, and we shouldn't be disregarded as apart of the community. :(
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for having more variety in the companions, including but not limited to gender. But is this really something that's worth getting "really upset" over?
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be so clear...
    PC/EU
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male.

Got statistics you can post for that claim or is it just more "online percentages"?
    This is the problem. There are too many females and not enough males in the game. Many women also play this game, and we shouldn't be disregarded as apart of the community. :(

*scratches head*
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    I'm all for having more variety in the companions, including but not limited to gender. But is this really something that's worth getting "really upset" over?

Yes.
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male.

Got statistics you can post for that claim or is it just more "online percentages"?

*scratches head*

Should have cleared that up a bit, there are a lot more female NPC's in the game and not enough males. Primarily I am talking about NPC's we can actually have with us. For example, the merch, the fence, and the deconer are female. The banker and amorer males. Now we add companions, we have Bastion and Mirri, and now we're adding in 2 more females.

I, personally, was looking forward to a new male companion and will now have to wait a year to see what comes out next.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in favor of balance, in my opinion we should have an equal or very nearly equal amount. As a lady gamer who has a moderate preference for female npc companions, I'm not sure the imbalance is due to the guys who play though. Female npcs may be a little more popular, overall. I don't know. Hopefully they intend to even it out with future companions, either way.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go for mainly female characters and companions - by a simple reason, there is not much on offer costume-wise for male characters. I still have male characters, but I'm more and more in doubt, that I will ever create another male character again - just because there are very limited ways to dress them properly. This month there will be a Jakarn theme on offer though, this could be decent for a male companion.

Well, then again, I would have preferred, if Mirri would have more of an athletic figure - she is so slender and skinny.
    Edited by Lysette on June 4, 2022 12:52AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    I go for mainly female characters and companions - by a simple reason, there is not much on offer costume-wise for male characters. I still have male characters, but I'm more and more in doubt, that I will ever create another male character again - just because there are very limited ways to dress them properly.

Yes, I'm in process of "moving" the few male characters I have to females. I.... just don't have any use for males in this game or any other I've ever played in 25 or so years.

And yes, I'm female. I just don't find males fun to play in games.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a pretty even amount of male and female characters. I too would like to see a balance of companions. Waiting for two new ones every year is a really long wait, and while I do like both of the new companions, I would have preferred one male and one female. It was a strange choice that we got only female companions this year.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Lysette wrote: »
    I go for mainly female characters and companions - by a simple reason, there is not much on offer costume-wise for male characters. I still have male characters, but I'm more and more in doubt, that I will ever create another male character again - just because there are very limited ways to dress them properly.

Yes, I'm in process of "moving" the few male characters I have to females. I.... just don't have any use for males in this game or any other I've ever played in 25 or so years.

And yes, I'm female. I just don't find males fun to play in games.

I thought about that as well, I have still 3 tokens to change them and their names. I basically made characters of both genders and as well a variety of races and skin colors, because I don't want to discriminate either gender or race. But like you I think that it is more fun to play female characters mainly by fashion-reasons. But I will see about that - there is a very nice costume in the collectors edition, which might suit my male characters and I might keep them as they are.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    That just means the Warden and Necro will be dudes.....

Right Zos?

You're gonna make them Dudes.

You can't leave it unbalanced, Symmetry demands Dudes

What makes you think they will stop with 6? I figure once they have the first 6 done, they start the rotation over again with different morphs like the next Dragon Knight leans more towards poison and different abilities. Whether they are male or female should fit the character's story not the sake of symmetry.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm decidedly neutral on the issue of gender balance in companions - all I need are companions with interesting personalities and helpful skills. Having said that, I would give anything to have a gorgeous male Altmer sorc, but I recognise that it's just a personal preference.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know what would be cool? Is if you could have an alternative character you create as a companion. You choose the class, race/gender and a character pack.
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(

I have expressed the same dismay in other threads. I LOVE MEN. So, sue me. After years of games only giving you the choice to play as a male, I now play only games where I can play as female, and I always have male companions. Maybe it's odd for a woman to want to play as her own gender, and also to greatly enjoy the company of males, but I guess I'm just old fashioned. ;)

The claim that the majority of players are male isn't really a valid claim for skewed numbers when it comes to the gender of companions either IMO, if that is true. Is a group in the minority (such as female gamers) any less deserving of consideration or thoughtful inclusion?

Hopefully, there will be balance brought to this issue in the near future. I do adore Bastian, but I like new, shiny companions too. Do it for us ladies, ZOS, please and thank you! <3
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .... And the majority of playerbase is male. ....
    This is a big assumption. There were fewer female players 20 years ago, but now it's quite a large percentage, especially for a game like Elder Scrolls.

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 4, 2022 3:40AM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need more males - and argonians too.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still upset that Bastian is the only male companion. I don't think it's wrong that my female characters want a strong male companion to adventure with. I'm just really afraid that the next males will be Khajiit or Argonian or Orcs. Nothing wrong with these races but not what I find pleasant to look at. And Bastian is just not my type at all. I want a companion like Jakarn, cute and confident and flirty.
    PCNA
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still upset that Bastian is the only male companion. I don't think it's wrong that my female characters want a strong male companion to adventure with. I'm just really afraid that the next males will be Khajiit or Argonian or Orcs. Nothing wrong with these races but not what I find pleasant to look at. And Bastian is just not my type at all. I want a companion like Jakarn, cute and confident and flirty.

I'm going to echo this sentiment, I really would like a male companion with a more mischievous side to him. Not mean spirited, but playful, flirty, amusing, one that will interact with either gender in this way the same way Jakarn does in game. I'd love a storyline where we get this rouge out of trouble and he tags along with us at first to "pay us back" for the favor, but slowly grows to befriend our character. Give us some CHARISMA!

Bastian just doesn't cut it for me, personality or looks wise. I've dressed him up as nicely as I can, but the urge to cover his head with a Minotaur helm is still strong in me >_> (Turning him into a cow is not a passive aggressive dig on his cheese-hating at allllll nope not at all...) I don't want an Argonian at all.

I wouldn't mind an Orc companion with a personality like Skordo the Knife for my personal amusement, because he makes me laugh every time I run into him in a questline, but he's hardly romantic material and I only want him for the laughs. A khajiit would be fun, but again, eh...

I wouldn't mind a super cheeky bosmer, but again, not romance material there.

But yes...someone charismatic and handsome would really, really make my characters happy, and me! XD
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on June 4, 2022 4:15AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wonder if they thought Bastian was handsome when they were creating him. I love that he's covered with tats, but his face and hair... nope. And he is way too goody two shoes to be fun.
    PCNA
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I often wonder if they thought Bastian was handsome when they were creating him. I love that he's covered with tats, but his face and hair... nope. And he is way too goody two shoes to be fun.

I think maybe they did, but he's really hit or miss for a lot of us. On the livestream where his dialouge writer was talking about him, she definitely seemed to find him handsome. Which is totally okay of course, we totally all have our personal tastes...but I'm definitely not into him. His face just...does not do it for me. I could probably overlook that far more if I actually liked his personality, but nope. Not even a little bit.

I've seen people in game who are pretty into him. Like, people who have even made characters to actually cosplay as him. I can't say I understand it, but then again there's probably people who don't get me either because I have a Fennorian cosplay XD

The tats were a good idea, though. It's a pity. I'd like a companion with tats like that where they have some kind of backstory or meaning.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Ipsius
    Ipsius
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you serious? Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much. If you're not complaining every single instance there's an imbalance in favor of men... Again, ask yourself why.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like probably the most a dunmer male companion but an argonian of either gender would be fun.

I think dunmer are probably amongst the better looking males on Nirn, followed equally by altmer depending on build, then Breton/Imperial and Nords and Khajiit and Argonian.

There are exceptions but in general probably bosmer are the least attractive to me.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are two fine examples of what I want my companion to look like.

Jakarn and Rian Liore

d9zsk3dognaw.jpg
    Edited by SilverBride on June 4, 2022 3:03PM
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    His face just...does not do it for me...

Same. At least Bastian has his tats, so that's something. And he is a pretty good tank but it's just not enough.
    Edited by SilverBride on June 4, 2022 5:03AM
    PCNA
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ipsius wrote: »

Are you serious? Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much. If you're not complaining every single instance there's an imbalance in favor of men... Again, ask yourself why.

Maybe someone would like a Male option that doesn't hate Cheese. Who doesn't like cheese???
    Also basically anyone that wants to do some thievery and or Murder Several people's?

Personally i think a lot of dudes are gonna want ladies, and we got that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting another Male Companion, Variety is the spice of life and all that.

I'm excited for Isobel and Ember because I dislike Bastion and I have heard enough of Mirri's Family.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is true, at least we get a Jakarn themed costume set this month - well, get is said too much, we have to buy it of course. Calling a man "cute" is a little strange though, "handsome" ok, but cute, who wants a cute male? That as bad as a pretty one.

This said, I would take a George Clooney look alike any time or something like Jean Connery in "highlander", heck, even Connor McCloud.
    Edited by Lysette on June 4, 2022 7:41AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we will get both male & female from each race as companions at some point.