Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Male Companions

• fetito666
    fetito666
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I often wonder if they thought Bastian was handsome when they were creating him. I love that he's covered with tats, but his face and hair... nope. And he is way too goody two shoes to be fun.

I think this is the problem when HETEROSEXUAL males create other males... they have no concept or clue what an attractive male actually looks or acts like. Take Darien or Jakarn... IMO they are much more attractive to me than Bastian, in looks AND personality. Furthermore, as a gay male playing this game, I want a MALE companion not a female. Hint, I'm not the ONLY gay guy playing this game, so this isn't just about heterosexual females wanting male companions!!!

+1
    I would totally love a male orc.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    xgoku1 wrote: »

Anyhoo what I gather from people saying they want already existing NPCs as Companions is them saying they want Companions they have a history with. The new Companions don't develop the same connection to the player with their 5-stage questlines.

I think this thread is not asking for that in particular, but I agree with your perception because this has been asked for in the past, and I also believe this is the exact reason. We do develop stronger relationships with NPCs, and if the romance option is ever implemented, more people might want those options with favorite NPCs than with companions. I don't see how that would be a negative, and they don't necessarily have to make those NPCs into companions to do it. Just add flavor dialogue and unlock a special spouse house guest if the romance quest is a success. The reason I don't think this is negative is the strange reality that all players are supposed to be the one Vestige in this world, so if you think about it, we are each in our universe existing simultaneously in an ESO multiverse. What my characters do have no bearing on what another player does. I mean if we are going to eventually have multiple Bastian, Miri, Ember, Isobel, and whoever in the future spouse companions running around with our characters in the open world simultaneously, why not special spouse NPCs like Fennorian, Naryu, Arana, Raz, heck even Rigurt in our player homes that few will ever see?

Anyway, I'd love to have a Breton or Reach companion that looks like this guy with the same accent please!

20200930200625%21ON-npc-Ardanir.jpg

I want that dude as my companion immediately. I'll trade ZOS Bastian's soul for him. Can I throw Bastian into a transmutation station, give him the trait "Handsome and Sultry" and remove the "Pretentious Cheese Hater" trait he came with, please? XD
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliran wrote: »
    But female companion sell more, that way you could have 3 wives and ZoS earn more money!

First of all I don't believe that is true. Do you have any statistics to back that up?

Second, these aren't for sale. They are part of the new chapter and we get what they give us. It's not like we have multiple options to pick from.
    PCNA
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd love one as more of a Beastial (sp) servant

I'd pay extra for a Minotaur tank companion

or a goblin thief one

As for male / female? not that important to me to get worked up over.

Edited by Bouldercleave on June 6, 2022 3:41PM
  • Suedyin_Loreseeker
    Suedyin_Loreseeker
    ✭✭✭
    In RL, I am an older hetero male.
    I feel more comfortable playing male characters, and I run with Bastian: His personality suits my own.
    That said, I do use Mirri when I need dps, whereas I have Bastian set up for heals.

I emphatically *hope* that the balance of diversities I see in the real world, might also be reflected in-game.

I had not realised there was this imbalance until the OP raised the issue, but I find myself agreeing with them.

Oh, and I *love* cheese. But I can respect that Bastian does not! :D
    Edited by Suedyin_Loreseeker on June 6, 2022 6:13PM
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    Ipsius wrote: »
    I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(

Are you serious? Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much. If you're not complaining every single instance there's an imbalance in favor of men... Again, ask yourself why.

Maybe someone would like a Male option that doesn't hate Cheese. Who doesn't like cheese???
    Also basically anyone that wants to do some thievery and or Murder Several people's?

Personally i think a lot of dudes are gonna want ladies, and we got that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting another Male Companion, Variety is the spice of life and all that.

I'm excited for Isobel and Ember because I dislike Bastion and I have heard enough of Mirri's Family.

I hate cheese.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK... so I was wrong... apparently the devs can create attractive males... I found two in Isobel's quest. Shockingly, I actually found Mortens attractive (not the voice tho); considering the first time we actually 'meet' him he's hiding behind a locked door, I was shocked when he showed up at the trophy presentation and actually looked good.

Although, my actual favorite would be Berjo... both appearance and voice.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the energy for this whole thread but yeah, I'm with you OP.

C'mon, ZOS, cough up some more himbos.

• moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Zos caters to majority. And the majority of playerbase is male. Males generally prefer female companions. Alot even female characters. Look around the zones. I would say most of the characters are female.

I'm a male and I have male and female characters, however if I was somehow sucked into the world of ESO and had to live it out for the rest of my life, I hope I was one of my female characters because they're nicer to look at. The clothes just fit and look a lot better on them than on my male khajiit or orc.

When I customly design a character, I noticed female characters are better proportioned than male characters as well. So in terms of immersion, I think having a female character lets you feel like you're in ESO more so than not having a female character.

Plus, I like that my female characters can kill male characters, it feels empowering. I like how in High Isle and much of the ESO-verse there isn't sexism or the idea of one sex is stronger or weaker than the other.
  • Minifloh
    Minifloh
    Soul Shriven
    Voting for a male Vampire Breton/dark elf with a personality like Elam Drals <3

Edit: Oh and i'm female and hate female Companions
    Edited by Minifloh on June 11, 2022 9:48AM
    Mimimimimimimi
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

Anyway, I'd love to have a Breton or Reach companion that looks like this guy with the same accent please!

20200930200625%21ON-npc-Ardanir.jpg

I'm actually a Bastian fan but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Ardanir.That voice - <set companion comments to very frequent>. :)

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters generally prefer Verandis to Jakarn. The problem with Jakarn and Darien is that they shamelessly flirt and put it about and most of my characters prefer someone less flirty and more committed or serious who is just into them.

I have to admit that I am happy to know that there are more players that like Verandis <3

Verandis for the win!
    v14j0z9ffs1h.png

^That right there. That is what I want as a male companion. Gorgeous screenshot, I did not just save that to my house Ravenwatch folder. Nope, not me, not at all >.> <.< >.>

It really shows that attraction varies and that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder with so many here gushing over Verandis and that pose, while I think he's unattractive and that's one of the most unflattering poses I've seen of him. The vampire thing does not help.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Pashen
    Pashen
    ✭✭✭
    Female player here
    Please, Male companion that is not a stick in the mud, Bastion is okay just can't ...do anything with him around, much like Isobel. I personally would have preferred the Knight Isobel to have been male with a little more flexibility in morals. However, that would not be Knightly characteristics. So please Male Companion next time with moral Flexibility like Ember and Mirri.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players want to hear a girl's voice.
    [snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 11, 2022 6:18PM
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Alistair in Dragon Age Origins. He was great. He had an interesting pesonality too. In fact, all the companions in that game were great.

I wish Zen would give us more physical options/features in general. But, even if they don't, not sure why the game designers limit themselves to those options in creating companions and npcs.
  • Minifloh
    Minifloh
    Soul Shriven
    Androrix wrote: »
    I remember Alistair in Dragon Age Origins. He was great. He had an interesting pesonality too. In fact, all the companions in that game were great.

I wish Zen would give us more physical options/features in general. But, even if they don't, not sure why the game designers limit themselves to those options in creating companions and npcs.

Mmh other league i would say... Bioware Chars have so much more Personality. And yes, Alistair was so great! In my opinion, Alistair, Cullen, Varric and Dorian are the best Characters of all games
    Mimimimimimimi
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If they do warden/necromancer next, for the necromancer I would love a Verandis/Fennorian-looking altmer or dunmer with long hair. But I've already seen a couple people in this thread say they hate long hair on men whereas for me it's basically non negotiable lol
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on June 11, 2022 5:29PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do warden/necromancer next, for the necromancer I would love a Verandis/Fennorian-looking altmer or dunmer with long hair. But I've already seen a couple people in this thread say they hate long hair on men whereas for me it's basically non negotiable lol

I endorse this idea! I absolutely LOVE long hair on men and we already have the short haired Bastian for those who don't. So give us something, too!
    PCNA
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still upset that Bastian is the only male companion. I don't think it's wrong that my female characters want a strong male companion to adventure with. I'm just really afraid that the next males will be Khajiit or Argonian or Orcs. Nothing wrong with these races but not what I find pleasant to look at. And Bastian is just not my type at all. I want a companion like Jakarn, cute and confident and flirty.

I don't think whoever created Bastion had the best opinion of men in general...a lot of my female guild mates pretty much have your opinion on Companions...but they won't use Bastion.

One calls him Baestian LaDouce

Can't say as I blame them...even if you look at power, Miri fully decked with a bow is a beast. Bastion fully decked with a destruction staff...is about as much help as a non combat pet.

I just don't think that was done accidentally.
    Edited by DagenHawk on June 11, 2022 6:48PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DagenHawk wrote: »
    I am still upset that Bastian is the only male companion. I don't think it's wrong that my female characters want a strong male companion to adventure with. I'm just really afraid that the next males will be Khajiit or Argonian or Orcs. Nothing wrong with these races but not what I find pleasant to look at. And Bastian is just not my type at all. I want a companion like Jakarn, cute and confident and flirty.

I don't think whoever created Bastion had the best opinion of men in general...a lot of my female guild mates pretty much have your opinion on Companions...but they won't use Bastion.

One calls him Bastion LaDouce

Can't say as I blame them...even if you look at power, Miri fully decked with a bow is a beast. Bastion fully decked with a destruction staff...is about as much help as a non combat pet.

Meanwhile in mine he's called Baestian by a bunch ;)
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on June 11, 2022 6:45PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:|
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bas-chan is my preferred appellation.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that in the future, a romancable male compagnon would be awesome for my Altmer Sorcerer, but as it stands now, both Isobel and Ember are lovely companions, don' t you think?
    Edited by Aelorin on June 11, 2022 7:27PM
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ardanir would be great.
  • TheDreamstride
    I want a beefcake male altmer companion. Period.
  • Fea675
    Fea675
    ✭✭
    Actually I do like Bastian. I even think he's handsome (except for all of these tattoos :p - yeah, tastes are different). He reminds me of Will Willis (Forged In Fire host) whom I like A LOT. Just think he could be a bit more lighthearted and flirty towards my female mage.

Nonetheless, I would have preferred a 2nd male companion instead of two new female ones. Hope we will get 2 male ones next year for compensation (no Bosmers or Argonians or Orcs though).

Anyone here remembers the big story mod "The Underground" created by Qarl for Morrowind in ca. 2003-05? The main character was named Johnny Rains and was a sweet, sexy, cocky, flirty vampire. A Companion like him is what I'd love to have!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fea675 wrote: »
    He reminds me of Will Willis (Forged In Fire host) whom I like A LOT.

I thought the same thing when I first saw him. In fact I made a thread about it.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/575557/bastian-looks-a-lot-like
    PCNA
  • Fea675
    Fea675
    ✭✭
    Fea675 wrote: »
    He reminds me of Will Willis (Forged In Fire host) whom I like A LOT.

I thought the same thing when I first saw him. In fact I made a thread about it.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/575557/bastian-looks-a-lot-like

Hah! Awesome!! :D
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I at first used Bastian, as his love of books really hit a spot with me. I like his looks, which is "probably" why his outfit is somewhat skimpy. Eventually, though, I got tired of his goody-woody behavior and switched to Mirri. Her comments are very amusing, especially when she says I'll take anything that isn't tied down. I like Ember's magic and her cheerfulness. As for Isobel, I found her a bit dull.
    I'm male and I was surprised to see both of the new companions were female. Hopefully we can get a morally-flexible guy next year.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright next male companion needs to be old, scruffy beard, with an overflowing belly, and the drunk personality.