Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Male Companions

• Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kieso wrote: »
    If I were ZOS; after seeing all these threads and comments complaining about there being only one male companion and not liking the one male that we have (bastion) id make the next two companions male. One would be a rigurt clone and the other would be an argonian who constantly talks about erecting his spine.

Yeah but that would be more hilarious than hearing, "did you have to kill that bug", "at least you didn't steal it first"
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was super excited also for a new male companion and was pretty disappointed that we have two females. imo it's only fair to have one of each that way you get a choice. I keep thinking now we should get two males with next years chapter.

My ideal male companion would be a bearded hunky Nord like my only male character lol, but I would be happy with a male Orc or Altmer too... Bastian is just getting old and annoying, Isobel is like Bastian in many ways but Ember is fine she's fun and different.. I've not used Mirri at all since getting her.

It's a personal preference thing, I play primarily female characters so I want a strong bearded male companion. I hope we get two males with the next chapter to keep things even though.

See, lol, I play mostly female characters and want a thieving scoundrel male companion human or dark elf, preferably not Nord, can't stand the voices.
    Edited by Sevalaricgirl on June 22, 2022 10:41AM
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I want is Gideon Emery to voice my companion. He’s everywhere in the game and I’m okay with that ♥️
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ipsius wrote: »
    Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.
    If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much. If you're not complaining every single instance there's an imbalance in favor of men... Again, ask yourself why.

Sure, men definitely predominate in the media and it's about time to change that. But I think, and I've said it before, that balance isn't achieved by suddenly shifting the imbalance. And here in the game, the main thing is that players prefer either male or female characters, no matter what their reasons are. The game should offer the same options for everyone and that is just being disregarded here when we now have three female companions and only one male. It would be just as unfair if there were only three male companions and one female companion.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever.

It is a bias that should be overcome in favor of a fair, equal balance. I'm all for diverseness and equality. And this is exactly the point: Just turning a quota around is not equality. 3:1 is not a fair balance, no matter who the minority is.
    The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains.

I'm completely sure that there would also have been complaints, probably even more, if there were 1 female and 3 male companions. And most people would totally understand that.
    It shouldn't matter. At all.

With normal NPCs, I don't care for gender at all. But if it comes to companions, some people have preferences. Especially if we include romance.
    If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much.

Funny thing is, you seem to see these complaints as anti-feminist and anti-equality. If you read the thread carefully, you will realize though that it's not about men complaining about too many female npcs, but women (and a few gay and bi men) who wish for male companions because they just prefer the company of male characters, romance-wise or not.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see more male companions personally. I prefer an even mix.

But for me I've found their voice acting, story, and personality is more important than gender by itself. I did really like Bastian but I dropped him immediately for Isobel who I now like a lot more.

I'm assuming the remaining classes are Warden and Necro for companions and we'd be looking at races they haven't used yet. I think a Redguard Necro would be a cool concept given their lore.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently 39% of male teens want a character to match their gender, as opposed to 60% of female teens. I don't know how much it translates to adults though, but the numbers are probably consistent. The devs of League of Legends said the majority of their female players in tend to stick with female champions, with many exclusively playing female characters only. If other gaming companies that allow a choice of male and female characters pulled their stats, they'd probably find similar results. Coupling that with the fact that a huge amount of players of these types of games are straight men, It kinda makes sense why they'd focus more on female characters. But having a good balance of options is something that everyone would appreciate.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a non-argument. 100% guarantee that Necro and/or Warden will be male. Also, I would wager that the Necro will be Argonian and the Warden will be a Woodelf. Also, we may yet get a Werewolf and Vampire companion too. So that’s even more opportunity for a variety of characters.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What races are left for companion? Bosmer, Orsimer, Altmer and Argonian. Enough for Warden, Necro, Vamp and Werewolf.

Oh and of course Nord. Hmm….
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on June 22, 2022 6:53PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(

Are you serious? Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

If for some reason it does matter to you... Really examine why a slight gender imbalance in favor of women bothers you so much. If you're not complaining every single instance there's an imbalance in favor of men... Again, ask yourself why.

Ok, wait a minute, why shouldn't we complain. There is a thing called equality that all people should be fighting for.

What exactly is "equality" and what is its impact? That term varies a lot and the saying "I don't think that means what you think it means" may very well apply.

Do we have to have the same exact number of male companions to meet the "equality" goal?

How about really ugly companions? Most of society doesn't look beautiful, should we seek "equality" in that even though the evidence from all forms of publishing is that "pretty privilege" definitely exists and is what people would rather look at. See the comment in the thread about Bastian not being hot enough, or whatever exact terms were used.

Players will want what they want, no matter what the ideal goals are.

I have no idea exactly what those are however, and I have not paid too much attention to the looks of any of the companions, I just want them to stop getting in my face and standing on top of harvest/interact points and such!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If I were ZOS; after seeing all these threads and comments complaining about there being only one male companion and not liking the one male that we have (bastion) id make the next two companions male. One would be a rigurt clone and the other would be an argonian who constantly talks about erecting his spine.

Yeah but that would be more hilarious than hearing, "did you have to kill that bug", "at least you didn't steal it first"

A Rigurt clone would be a blast if well-made. Not sure if perfect, but better than "aren't you going to eat that?" or "Surely you can do alchemy differently"!

He is one male I might actually find more enjoyable than a female!

(Though I do still like my Bastian tank, except that I dismiss him when killing deer and such for daily endeavors.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

Sure, men definitely predominate in the media and it's about time to change that. But I think, and I've said it before, that balance isn't achieved by suddenly shifting the imbalance. And here in the game, the main thing is that players prefer either male or female characters, no matter what their reasons are. The game should offer the same options for everyone and that is just being disregarded here when we now have three female companions and only one male. It would be just as unfair if there were only three male companions and one female companion.

Do you really think that having more male companions will, by itself, significantly increase the number of women playing ESO? Really?

I know it is just anecdotal, but I couldn't get my exwife interested in MMOs no matter what I did. I have found a few women in guilds in my age range that were into MMOs, but the numbers are not that large in my experience.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really think that having more male companions will, by itself, significantly increase the number of women playing ESO? Really?

I know it is just anecdotal, but I couldn't get my exwife interested in MMOs no matter what I did. I have found a few women in guilds in my age range that were into MMOs, but the numbers are not that large in my experience.

Honestly in my roleplaying guilds I think we have more female players than males. Maybe atypical for the game as a whole but I've found that to be the case in many MMOs as I Roleplay in many of them.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »

Honestly in my roleplaying guilds I think we have more female players than males. Maybe atypical for the game as a whole but I've found that to be the case in many MMOs as I Roleplay in many of them.

I wish I could have found one (with other common points) when I was marrying. Very, very few game players I found then.

I wonder if more are coming into it now or if they were just quiet back then? I know my Computer Science classes in college were almost completely male.

Or is the social aspect of a guild more likely to draw out those who are more social? (I am definitely not, though I push myself out of my comfort zone at times.) Probably not the best thing to beat on in this thread however. I will try to not respond further.

EDIT: I created this thread to discuss this issue: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/608977/questions-for-female-players
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on June 22, 2022 7:27PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have to have the same exact number of male companions to meet the "equality" goal?

No, but about 50:50 would be great, not 75:25.
    How about really ugly companions?

I'm sure there are enough players would would find characters interesting who don't meet the current beauty standards, if they are well-written, have interesting story quests and dialogues. I don't see why there shouldn't be some old grandfatherly mage or a piratess with a scarred face. Rigurt isn't exactly meeting the expectations of "young and handsome" either, but many people like him.

He hasn't written that. He would just prefer a fair balance between male and female companions, as well as a wide variety of different characters so there's something for everyone. And I fully agree.

Edited by Syldras on June 22, 2022 9:44PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭

A Rigurt clone would be a blast if well-made. Not sure if perfect, but better than "aren't you going to eat that?" or "Surely you can do alchemy differently"!

(Though I do still like my Bastian tank, except that I dismiss him when killing deer and such for daily endeavors.)

I hope one day we'll get to have our fave NPCs as companions
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SerasWhip wrote: »

I hope one day we'll get to have our fave NPCs as companions

I don't. I don't have any use at all for any of the NPCs. I don't have "favorites" - eww. I want my own alts as companions. Otherwise, count me out.

Oh.... check that. I would KILL for Elam Drals as a companion. But he's the only one.
    Edited by TaSheen on June 23, 2022 2:31AM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be VERY COOL to have Caska as a companion. Something not humanoid.

I'd love to have a minotaur companion. I need a Morihaus to my Pelinal.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am excited to get new companions with high isle! I've been looking forward to getting new companion story lines and more NPC's put in my houses. With that said, I am also really upset that BOTH of the new companions are female. I want MALE companions. I do not like this imbalance of having 3 females and only 1 male for companions. :(

Are you serious? Men outnumber women in practically every form of media, and it's been that way forever. The MOMENT the ratio isn't equal or tilted towards male, someone complains. It shouldn't matter. At all.

Ok, wait a minute, why shouldn't we complain. There is a thing called equality that all people should be fighting for.

What exactly is "equality" and what is its impact? That term varies a lot and the saying "I don't think that means what you think it means" may very well apply.

How about really ugly companions? Most of society doesn't look beautiful, should we seek "equality" in that even though the evidence from all forms of publishing is that "pretty privilege" definitely exists and is what people would rather look at. See the comment in the thread about Bastian not being hot enough, or whatever exact terms were used.

Players will want what they want, no matter what the ideal goals are.

I have no idea exactly what those are however, and I have not paid too much attention to the looks of any of the companions, I just want them to stop getting in my face and standing on top of harvest/interact points and such!

Absolutely, 1) my opinion of what is beautiful certainly isn't yours so 2) yes we should have an equal number of male and female companions
  • Lady_Titania
    Lady_Titania
    ✭✭✭
    Not the stud hunk I was hoping for, but we have balance coming back with Necrom! My argonian templar will love Sharp-As-Night, while Nuzhimeh the merchant and Azandar Al-Cybiade will be keeping each other company in one of my houses.

Very happy ZOS listened to player feedback! Thank you!

Edit: Typo
    Edited by Lady_Titania on April 25, 2023 12:23PM