Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

why i'm holding off on renewing my ESO+ subscription (nRND)

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Stanx wrote: »
    As an ESO subscriber, it does annoy me that I'm actively incentivised to drop the sub if I want to run a non-DLC dungeon on group finder.

Makes me want to encourage people who DON'T sub to hang out at the Undaunted areas and offer to join a random AND MENTION the "no sub" thing since it would preclude them getting dumped into a DLC

Another option people can take is just have a mule slot who's sole purpose is to queue random dungeons. When it hits level 44 just delete it and make a new one.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    WHY aren't DLC dungeons the same difficulty as the base game dungeons? I'd like to know the reason why they are more difficult, because this is the issue.

Because people wanted more challenging content. Dungeons are for people seeking a challenge.

Dungeons supposedly have 2 difficulty modes, normal and veteran, with veteran being the more challenging. Only in this case there are 2 different levels of normal, base game and DLC. I just feel that all normal dungeons should have comparable difficulty.

They have moved more towards normal being training for the vet mode. And normal dlc dungeons post Summerset are generally comparable in difficulty. I think if they were to tweak old dungeons they'd more likely move old dungeons up in difficulty rather than dlc down in difficulty, as I think this where they want players doing challenging content together mostly.

Normal dungeons are for those who enjoy a normal level of difficulty, not a training ground for a difficulty many may never choose to utilize. I just want to enjoy normal dungeons like those who want more difficulty enjoy veteran dungeons. This way there is a dungeon mode for both playstyles.

They actually did change that though. They responded to feedback that normal dungeons don't train people adequately for vet and newer dlc dungeons are closer to their vet counterparts as a result to older ones. This is the reason the newest dlc dungeons on normal are harder than the older ones. And dlc going forward will likely be the same as the current ones.

This "solution" excludes players who enjoy normal difficulty dungeons. Why should that be taken away from them to "train" other players for veteran content? Besides, the only real way to train for challenging content is to actually do the challenging content they want to learn.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 29, 2021 8:54PM
    PCNA
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FFXIV dungeons are long, often fail and reward is not very good, still people do them. I think there should be an alternative for daily dungeon reward, not to force people doing content they dont want. Everyone got 2 armory slots, so 2nd slot can be a tank for instant queues.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Arguments here. DLC should be a toggle in group finder for people with ESO+. Full Stop.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY aren't DLC dungeons the same difficulty as the base game dungeons? I'd like to know the reason why they are more difficult, because this is the issue.

Because people wanted more challenging content. Dungeons are for people seeking a challenge.

Dungeons supposedly have 2 difficulty modes, normal and veteran, with veteran being the more challenging. Only in this case there are 2 different levels of normal, base game and DLC. I just feel that all normal dungeons should have comparable difficulty.

They have moved more towards normal being training for the vet mode. And normal dlc dungeons post Summerset are generally comparable in difficulty. I think if they were to tweak old dungeons they'd more likely move old dungeons up in difficulty rather than dlc down in difficulty, as I think this where they want players doing challenging content together mostly.

Normal dungeons are for those who enjoy a normal level of difficulty, not a training ground for a difficulty many may never choose to utilize. I just want to enjoy normal dungeons like those who want more difficulty enjoy veteran dungeons. This way there is a dungeon mode for both playstyles.

They actually did change that though. They responded to feedback that normal dungeons don't train people adequately for vet and newer dlc dungeons are closer to their vet counterparts as a result to older ones. This is the reason the newest dlc dungeons on normal are harder than the older ones. And dlc going forward will likely be the same as the current ones.

This "solution" excludes players who enjoy normal difficulty dungeons. Why should that be taken away from them to "train" other players for veteran content? Besides, the only real way to train for challenging content is to actually do the challenging content they want to learn.

Because a lot of people doing vet dungeons need that inbetween step to learn how to play the game. Overland doesn't do a great job of teaching people how to do vet dlc dungeons. But going from Overland > normal dlc dungeons > vet dlc dungeons is a pretty decent learning curve. Also some people just find vet too hard but normal too easy, and want that inbetween content. And this content is right up their alley.

Idk how they could make it more enticing for people who prefer easier content. Maybe add in some kind of buff you can take but only available in normal. People trying to learn won't take it but people just trying to plow through RND could. IDK. There's gotta be a better way than just tossing people into vet because the quality of vet teammates has definitely improved from days past. I think part of it was the transmute award pulled a lot of people out of vet that shouldn't be there and the other part is that normal actually does a better job of preparing you for vet than it used to, at least mechanics wise.

I just today completed hard mode on the regular bosses in a vet Black Drake Villa pug.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because a lot of people doing vet dungeons need that inbetween step to learn how to play the game. Overland doesn't do a great job of teaching people how to do vet dlc dungeons. But going from Overland > normal dlc dungeons > vet dlc dungeons is a pretty decent learning curve. Also some people just find vet too hard but normal too easy, and want that inbetween content. And this content is right up their alley.

Idk how they could make it more enticing for people who prefer easier content. Maybe add in some kind of buff you can take but only available in normal. People trying to learn won't take it but people just trying to plow through RND could. IDK. There's gotta be a better way than just tossing people into vet because the quality of vet teammates has definitely improved from days past. I think part of it was the transmute award pulled a lot of people out of vet that shouldn't be there and the other part is that normal actually does a better job of preparing you for vet than it used to, at least mechanics wise.

I just today completed hard mode on the regular bosses in a vet Black Drake Villa pug.

The solution is to put content that serves different purposes in different queues. If DLC dungeons are separated from base game dungeons, then people who want to learn DLC-style mechanics can queue for normal DLC dungeons.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The solution is to put content that serves different purposes in different queues. If DLC dungeons are separated from base game dungeons, then people who want to learn DLC-style mechanics can queue for normal DLC dungeons.

Nope. That seriously impairs the functionality of the random dungeon finder for the dlc dungeons. And you're already being paid to do content you don't want to do.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 30, 2021 12:39AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds to me like there should be a level between normal and veteran, which is what the current normal DLC is, so half the work is already done. It would be great if they at least added a shorter version of these so players would find them more manageable.
    PCNA
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just ask for the "random grotto1" button. No!
    The normal DLC is no more difficult than the vanilla normal dungeon.
    PC/EU
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is. And takes a lot longer to complete.
    PCNA
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is. And takes a lot longer to complete.

There are several vanilla dungeons that are quite long. How about BHC or VM? Or for example CoA2? I'd rather prefer FH or WGT. It is also a good reason to replenish your collection.
    PC/EU
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how people who pay monhtly to support the game get screwed over in terms of random queueing. I don't understand how people can see it any other way, especially with dlc dungeons becoming more numerous and more difficult on normal. If I random queue on anything but a dps and get something like March of Sacrifices, I dip immediately to hop on another character and try again. At least it's tolerable if i'm on a dps because then stuff will actually die.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was terrible for years, skyrim did me no favours for eso. I doubt anything i did for many years made any sense at all, and i have no doubt i frustrated alot of people. After the morrowind nerf i cut short any pve dps activity i was attempting to cobble together and got stuck into tanking for couple of years and same for healing. In the last maybe year or 2 i decided to pull finger and give dps another go, farmed gear formulated and practiced rotation now im flying through everything 😁. Ive noticed my improved proficiency does make me unpopular in some randoms, so on my older higher cp account i opt for vet random and its very satisfying for me. My 2 cents is im a great fan of dlc dungeons now so it coming up in random doesnt bother me. Each time that scary dlc comes up on random youll learn or notice another mechanic, before long itll all be a piece of cake 😀
    Edited by endgamesmug on November 30, 2021 2:17AM
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a non-DLC queue, then it should have no rewards attached to it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?
    PCNA
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanx wrote: »
    As an ESO subscriber, it does annoy me that I'm actively incentivised to drop the sub if I want to run a non-DLC dungeon on group finder.

Makes me want to encourage people who DON'T sub to hang out at the Undaunted areas and offer to join a random AND MENTION the "no sub" thing since it would preclude them getting dumped into a DLC

Another option people can take is just have a mule slot who's sole purpose is to queue random dungeons. When it hits level 44 just delete it and make a new one.

I have 2 throwaway characters for just this reason. I usually only go to 36 (was lower) as higher has a few one hit mechanics I avoid like the plague even in groups, but you got the general idea.

I won't give up my eso+ because I tend to do a ton of crafting. I find the time it takes me to level a character to 10 to do the initial dungeons is well worth the benefit of the transmutes I get. Also I don't need that many of them and only "dust off" these slots to get me to 200 stones or so when needed.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Of course Zenimax would need to make sure that reward for including the DLC dungeons since they need to make sure players will have a chance to get such a group if they are queueing for a DLC. After all, the reason for the random reward is to ensure a reasonably active queue for all dungeons.

One thing they could do is delete the random reward if you only do a subset of your available dungeons. If you queue random (all) you get the reward, same as now. If you queue for Maj's queue or whatever, you get nothing.

Some people might still queue for the stickerbook or for fun. But they wouldn't get rewards for being willing to help anyone who needs it, because they aren't willing to help anyone.

It is already like this. We can select as many or little of the dungeons we want when we queue. We only get the rewards if we do a random of the full set.

My suggestion was to offer a means to opt-out/opt-in on DLC dungeons when doing a random with a greater reward for including the DLCs. Since the reward is there to keep the GF active so people queueing for a specific dungeon has a greater chance to get a group and Zenimax has a vested interest in making sure some people are queued for DLC dungeons for the same reason we have a high degree of confidence Zenimax will not remove DLC dungeons from the random without some carrot to keep people queueing for the DLC dungeons. It is why some form of what I suggested would be the only way.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?

I wouldn't say "no rewards", but it should default to the blue rewards instead of the purple, since the people excluding DLCs are admittedly not willing to do the work.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good idea IF they increase the dlc dungeons rewards. They take double the time to complete so they should give double the reward
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds to me like there should be a level between normal and veteran, which is what the current normal DLC is, so half the work is already done. It would be great if they at least added a shorter version of these so players would find them more manageable.

Yes. I agree. I don't know why bosses having a bit of complexity has to mean the dungeons are also so long. There's a lot of trash mobs and long corridors that are just unnecessary and make things drag out too much. Like they could do 2 regular bosses instead of 3, and make the other bosses skippable like in earlier dungeon designs. I think they'd appeal to more people if they weren't so long as even people who enjoy more challenging boss fights tend to find these dungeons long.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

It is already like this. We can select as many or little of the dungeons we want when we queue. We only get the rewards if we do a random of the full set.

Oh wow. I did not know that. Thanks!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Why?

I wouldn't say "no rewards", but it should default to the blue rewards instead of the purple, since the people excluding DLCs are admittedly not willing to do the work.

It's not a matter of not being "willing to do the work". It's a matter of not wanting, or being able to, spend so much time in one dungeon, and wanting to enjoy the experience.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Why?

It's not a matter of not being "willing to do the work". It's a matter of not wanting, or being able to, spend so much time in one dungeon, and wanting to enjoy the experience.

I'm not really appreciating the difference between "I'm unwilling to do it" and "I don't want to do it," in this example. Would you mind elaborating for me please?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really appreciating the difference between "I'm unwilling to do it" and "I don't want to do it," in this example. Would you mind elaborating for me please?

Sounds to me like it just means "it is inconvenient for me" [snip]

Of course I could be way off here.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 30, 2021 12:53PM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds to me like it just means "it is inconvenient for me" [snip]

Of course I could be way off here.

I don't think they mean anything about morally superior. I also think "doesn't have enough time" is a separate point from the other one. Which is a fair point as those dungeons are pretty lengthy and dungeon finder is used for farming.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 30, 2021 12:53PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a matter of not being willing to do the work, i.e. fight harder bosses, as much as not wanting to have to focus on one activity for that long without a break.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 30, 2021 4:40AM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a matter of not being willing to do the work, i.e. fight harder bosses, as much as not wanting to have to focus on one activity for that long without a break.

So you wouldn't mind the bosses as much if they made the dungeons shorter? That I can agree with. I'm kinda over every dungeon needing to be long. I'd like some more shorter dungeons too and I actually like a challenging boss fight.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they mean anything about morally superior. I also think "doesn't have enough time" is a separate point from the other one. Which is a fair point as those dungeons are pretty lengthy and dungeon finder is used for farming.

I do use the random daily as a form of farming for transmutes....I'm curious if there is another type of "farming" that could be meant here.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SickDuck wrote: »
    The whole concept of normal vs veteran is outdated. While ZOS managed to standardize so many aspects of the game, they failed to do so with dungeons. There should be more difficulty levels and the scale should be something like:

normal (type 1) < normal (type 2) < normal DLC & veteran (type 1) < veteran (type 2) < veteran DLC

With standardized difficulty all dungeons could be available on all levels - even a DLC could be brought down to FG1 level and the other way round. This could be extended with a 'veteran HM' option where all dungeons are brought to a similar HM experience as DLCs. And yes, it would be great if we could explicitly queue for HM and not rely on others' grace regarding it.

Other points:
    • People should get to random normal 1's by default and to higher levels only once they completed the previous level
    • Level and CP restrictions should be removed from all dungeons (replaced by previous quality gate)
    • Random should be random - no pre-made groups!
    • There should be an incentive to run the harder levels
    • Disable quests on higher levels
    • Replacements during mid-run should be able to complete pledges
    • All (non-secret) bosses should be killed :P
    • No leaders, all members should be able to find replacements
    • Remove option to disband a group

This would be awesome if something like this was added. Overland has this, why not dungeons. Sooner the community gets to enjoy all dungeons, the sooner they will learn more boss mechanics.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do use the random daily as a form of farming for transmutes....I'm curious if there is another type of "farming" that could be meant here.

Transmute farming and stickerbook filling is how a lot of people use it. So people are gonna be running multiple in a day usually. So shorter tasks tend to be more generally enjoyed when repetition is expected