Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LashanW wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I just can't believe no one but me has trouble with bosses like Molag Bal, Mulaamnir, Vandacia. I can't even count the number of times on two 50s at 300+ CP that I died to those three. Of course I have some situational issues, but y'all act like they're a walk in the park.

Anything BUT that for me.... I actually wish I could just wipe them in a few seconds. Nope. Me that wipes....
    You are the only person I have ever heard of, in 4 years of playing, who keeps playing ESO with 700+ ping. That is nightmare fuel. Even the most skilled players will be crippled in overland with ping like that. Because this is a major technical issue, it's not some situational issue that anyone should suffer. I bet it's the biggest reason if you are having issues with quest bosses. Have you ever tried a VPN btw? They might help with getting a more stable connection to ESO servers. No guarantees tho. But it definitely helped me. (for reference I use ExpressVPN)

If I had to suffer this game with such high ping I'd be making my character tankier and running sets like Thunderbug Carapace, Leeching plate and maybe Grothdaar (tho getting some of these might be problematic in the first place), I think I used Storm Knight's plate as well in the past. Even if I have no proper control over my character those sets would keep me alive and do the killing for me.

Heh. Before moving to HughesNet from WildBlue, my ping was normally in the neighborhood of 1250ms, and sometimes as high as 1500.... I did try a VPN a while back - it just added a 100 or so ms to what I already had. My satellite connect isn't "all 'round robin hood's barn" really - from the sat, I hit level 3 Denver, and there's only two or three more hops before reaching the server. The problem is there's just no way to mitigate the round trip to the sat and back from the server.

I actually never thought about putting my 50s in heavy armor/proc sets. They're all stam (wardens, nightblade, templar) except the one magsorc. Even with the pets (which don't have appreciable lag since they run server-side), since they don't hold aggro worth a damn in this game (unlike WoW), I have problems. I can't roll dodge or bar swap reliably (mostly not at all).... which is why I'm not fond of combat in this game. I might have to give the heavy armor setup a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

[Edit: typo]
    Edited by Sylvermynx on November 14, 2021 7:08PM
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't believe no one but me has trouble with bosses like Molag Bal, Mulaamnir, Vandacia. I can't even count the number of times on two 50s at 300+ CP that I died to those three. Of course I have some situational issues, but y'all act like they're a walk in the park.

Anything BUT that for me.... I actually wish I could just wipe them in a few seconds. Nope. Me that wipes....
    You are the only person I have ever heard of, in 4 years of playing, who keeps playing ESO with 700+ ping. That is nightmare fuel. Even the most skilled players will be crippled in overland with ping like that. Because this is a major technical issue, it's not some situational issue that anyone should suffer. I bet it's the biggest reason if you are having issues with quest bosses. Have you ever tried a VPN btw? They might help with getting a more stable connection to ESO servers. No guarantees tho. But it definitely helped me. (for reference I use ExpressVPN)

If I had to suffer this game with such high ping I'd be making my character tankier and running sets like Thunderbug Carapace, Leeching plate and maybe Grothdaar (tho getting some of these might be problematic in the first place), I think I used Storm Knight's plate as well in the past. Even if I have no proper control over my character those sets would keep me alive and do the killing for me.

Heh. Before moving to HughesNet from WildBlue, my ping was normally in the neighborhood of 1250ms, and sometimes as high as 1500.... I did try a VPN a while back - it just added a 100 or so ms to what I already had. My satellite connect isn't "all 'round robin hood's barn" really - from the sat, I hit level 3 Denver, and there's only two or three more hops before reaching the server. The problem is there's just no way to mitigate the round trip to the sat and back from the server.

I actually never thought about putting my 50s in heavy armor/proc sets. They're all stam (wardens, nightblade, templar) except the one magsorc. Even with the pets (which don't have appreciable lag since they run server-side), since they don't hold aggro worth a damn in this game (unlike WoW), I have problems. I can't roll dodge or bar swap reliably (mostly not at all).... which is why I'm not fond of combat in this game. I might have to give the heavy armor setup a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

How do you play with it that high :o I struggle if it goes above 200-300
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2400+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all I've ever had to play on after dial-up. *shrug* You get used to it.... I'm just always really happy when I do manage to kill something(s).
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all I've ever had to play on after dial-up. *shrug* You get used to it.... I'm just always really happy when I do manage to kill something(s).

Props to you my friend. I would have given up :P
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2400+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seminolegirl1992 - would I like to have "real" broadband? Oh hell yes. However, I would not like to move into the nearest small city in order to have that happen. I live in a town of less than 100 full time families, with the cleanest air and water in the southwest, and with very few near neighbors, almost no traffic, no streetlights so it's Dark Sky paradise, and so quiet you can hear yourself think. I've lived here for 35 years, no interest in moving. Probably I'll die here.

I just putz along in game as I can. I wouldn't make the trade off for better broadband....
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My issue with this topic is that overlands experience is different for different players. When a player is running around in vet trials gear with golded out weapons etc afcourse overlands mobs are going to drop dead before vet player even raises his/her/their sword. Now, for a player that is not in vet trials gear, running around trying to do many, nany surveys, more challenging mobs could be a disaster time wise.

Zos if you do decide to make overlands creatures and mobs more difficult to kill then can you please consider us crafters that do hundreds of surveys a week and change the survey nodes so they are closer to wayshrines please. Many of the survey resource nodes are literally right next to wild ceatures or mean, very angry mobs and quite far from wayshrines. This is v err y time consuming and can feel like a job but we do it gor the love of eso 😊

Thank you for reading.
    Edited by wishlist14 on November 15, 2021 3:59AM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just putz along in game as I can. I wouldn't make the trade off for better broadband....
    Not to get too far off-topic here but...Assuming you're in USA, didn't the recent infrastructure bill include something about widespread "broadband for ALL country" or whatever soon?

On-topic: Cyrodiil aside, i do sometimes wish for greater challenge and "danger" while out exploring the vast unknown of ESO wilds (especially during NIGHTfall times) . But i also come from SWG originally, with true open-world feel & fate. Heck, at one point, if we died we'd literally have to traverse all the way back to loot our own corpses for to get our items back again lol

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Not to get too far off-topic here but...Assuming you're in USA, didn't the recent infrastructure bill include something about widespread "broadband for ALL country" or whatever soon?

On-topic: Cyrodiil aside, i do sometimes wish for greater challenge and "danger" while out exploring the vast unknown of ESO wilds (especially during NIGHTfall times) . But i also come from SWG originally, with true open-world feel & fate. Heck, at one point, if we died we'd literally have to traverse all the way back to loot our own corpses for to get our items back again lol

Yes. BUT - not in a very tiny town in southwest Utah. NO ONE is going to provide "real" broadband in a town of less than 100 full time families. It's all going to go up north just like everything else - we get no road repair in this county, much less broadband. Still, I'm more or less happy to live here - for the above stated reasons (post #936) though there are definitely reasons I never wanted to live in Utah. That's not a discussion for here of course.

And your last point is exactly why I have never played games where that was a "thing". Nothing about "run all the way to where you died - and maybe you won't have the stuff you had when you died will even be there" is attractive to me. Nor is it my idea of fun.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    And your last point is exactly why I have never played games where that was a "thing". Nothing about "run all the way to where you died - and maybe you won't have the stuff you had when you died will even be there" is attractive to me. Nor is it my idea of fun.
    Well, that was of course a very extreme example.

But i do think, for ESO, there could be a way to find a more solid balance of risk vs. reward (from an 'overland' perspective) .

Just off the top of my head: Say things are super easy to kill the closer players are to towns & cities (and wayshrines) . Yet once you go farther away---into the danger zone---things become more challenging and "risky" to venture alone. (and again: particularly at NIGHT times)

'Red Mountain', for instance, should = dangerous, no?

But obviously, the big trick for Zenimax (and most developers) is: How to make the game challenging enough to capture basic primal HUMAN interest (imho, all humans, at their core, will typically find greater long-term satisfaction from knowing they "worked" for something, as opposed to constant easy-mode hand-holding handouts...even in a video-game) yet still not so frustratingly difficult as to scare away potential subscriber$ .

• Onigar
    Onigar
    ✭✭✭
    My view is there is a definite need for a mechanism to balance overland content to a players abilities (or wishes) but I also see difficulties in implementing this so a mixed player group of 2 or more actively involved in the same combat situation have the combat level adjusted to their own preference.

Consider some common settings used in other games for content scaling,

Easy
    Medium (normally the default)
    Hard
    Ultra Hard

If you were to allow such player settings then you could apply a content scaling as a median of these 4 options based on the individual group player settings (for solo it is as player has selected). For example, exp gains, multiple players in proximity in the same combat situation are already considered as a group whether they are in a connected group or not so the mechanism is already there for the game software to link players actively participating together.

What happens now to the drops from say a boss (or any mob) is another point. The method of increasing value of items in a treasure chest could be modified and applied. This would mean, depending on the Median then the value of drops would be decreased (Easy) or increased (Hard, Ultra Hard). Just like with a treasure chest both the quality and number of items would be affected.

For now I will carry on just using light attacks on overland simple mobs or monsters ...
    PC EU
    Addon Author:
    Currency Manager: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1998
  • matterandstuff
    matterandstuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    But obviously, the big trick for Zenimax (and most developers) is: How to make the game challenging enough to capture basic primal HUMAN interest (imho, all humans, at their core, will typically find greater long-term satisfaction from knowing they "worked" for something, as opposed to constant easy-mode hand-holding handouts...even in a video-game) yet still not so frustratingly difficult as to scare away potential subscriber$ . [/color]

Not uncommonly for these threads, there's an inability to distinguish what <i>you</i> like from what all humans like, and what <i>you</i> find rewarding, notwithstanding the historical note that MMOs that have played hard to those very assumptions have tended to die a painful financial death from lack of subscribers, while ESO goes the other way and thrives.

I have a job that involves working at something. If I'm "working" for something, I'd better be getting paid for it, or it better be mightily important. On the other hand, if I'm just playing games in my downtime, I'd really rather something that's engaging but not stressful unless I'm specifically after a challenge in that moment.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure I'd add my voice to the chorus as well: overland content is too easy for people who aren't levelling a fresh character.

To show you how easy things really are, I'll tell you how I worked around it to actually enjoy it a little:

I created a new character which I intentionally made as weak as possible. I gave him ONLY the passives that wouldn't increase his power, and ONLY the champion points that wouldn't increase his power either. All his gear (despite him being max level) was white, green, or blue tier, and often levelled much lower than he was (he is max level, but plenty of his gear is meant for level 1–49). His abilities are also specifically chosen to NOT be powerful. I also never drink potions or eat food/drinks with him since that would boost his stats and make him more powerful.
    I admittedly DO use gear sets (even monster sets) with him because otherwise combat is just so booooring and vanilla. Sets spice up combat a little which I like.

Even with ALL of the above self-imposed limitations (which aren't pleasant btw, but they're necessary to make overland even vaguely challenging) overland content is still relatively easy for me. I couldn't solo a world boss, but I can solo pretty much everything else, even dolmens. Quest bosses vary in difficulty, but I rarely ever die, and regular enemies remain a joke, just a joke that absorbs more of my attacks than they used to.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: One Tamriel ISN'T the enemy here, it's how the scaling works. We need scaling to be based not just off your character's level, but off their gear/champion points as well. If overhauling the scaling system is too much to ask, perhaps a 'Hard Mode' option that people can toggle on/off which boosts enemy health/attacks. The Hard Mode option doesn't need to affect people who have it turned off since level scaling has shown us we can localise those things to individual players without affecting other players. The Hard Mode option wouldn't be ideal I think, since it's just a flat increase to health/damage of enemies, which is lazy, but it's better than nothing.

I'm tired of having to intentionally cripple myself to make overland content even vaguely challenging. I love questing. It's what I enjoy most in ESO. Please toss us a bone here ZOS.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @matterandstuff - your quoting's messed up; that paragraph was by NeeScrolls in reply to me, not directly from me.
  • attrielub17_ESO
    I haven't read the whole thread, and i know this has been stated multiple times in the part I *HAVE* read, but knowing that "the vocal party gets heard" I wanted to post and make sure that the "don't make it super hard for old players to enjoy while locking out new players" camp got heard. Thats a deathmarch .

I like the notion of vet-mode overlands but that would, I imagine, require hard forks of the zones, effectively doubling the number of zones and reducing the random availability of players to help out. many of the highlevels will hang out in the vet instance for the harder experience and better loot (bc if they fork it the immediate next issue will be "why would we do the harder content there's no differenceeeeeee" but a different vocal group), so new players/new characters will be in the base zones with minimal help

Is it a little ridiculous watching a once-dangerous boss get slagged in seconds? yes.

Does everyone want a 30-minute battle like Walks-Like-Thunder? for the sake of sheogorath no!! (also can you just IMAGINE vet-mode thunder???)

But it would have to be a hard fork onthe zones bc you can't have half the encounter fighting it on vet mode with mechanics and adds and the other half just banging away on normal

I have a handful of 50s so I don't mind havin the option, and it might be fun, but I also wanted to speak for those who aren't here yet and don't want it :)
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not uncommonly for these threads, there's an inability to distinguish what <i>you</i> like from what all humans like, and what <i>you</i> find rewarding, notwithstanding the historical note that MMOs that have played hard to those very assumptions have tended to die a painful financial death from lack of subscribers, while ESO goes the other way and thrives.

I have a job that involves working at something. If I'm "working" for something, I'd better be getting paid for it, or it better be mightily important. On the other hand, if I'm just playing games in my downtime, I'd really rather something that's engaging but not stressful unless I'm specifically after a challenge in that moment.
    If you re-read my earlier post , you'd notice i purposely used quotes around the term "work" (since video-game & all) .

Secondly, i used the term 'IMHO' , as in....In my humble opinion, as in: My belief, based on both being a human as well as observing human-beings for X amount of years, is that inherently at our core we humans FEEL more satisfied from EARNING something as opposed to getting something handed to us for "free" without any significant challenge.

Sure, free stuff + easy mode is nice and might keep you $ubscribed from time to time...but is it truly rewarding on a primal level? Or, nearly as rewarding as say if you had to [snip] to traverse 'Red Mountain' in Morrowind battling pixelated "enemies" increasing in difficulty as you go from bottom to top, culminating with an epic fight to near-character-death whereby you WIN loot the exact armor-set piece you needed! Phew, now THAT = a sense of accomplishment, does it not?

Or, you can faceroll 95% of all 'overland' content on every map with one hand on your gamepad (or keyboard) and one hand sipping a drink lol . Sure, you might get some satisfaction out of checking out mentally (from your RL work & stress) for a few hours of mindless grinding of XP....but, other than avoiding trolls in zone-chat, what exactly challenged your skills?

Therefore, IMHO, there could be a better balance in ESO, so that players like you could play how YOU like (when near towns, cities, farms, wayshrines, during daylight, etc. etc. ) and players like me could play how WE like (pushing ourselves outside easy safe-spaces and venturing out into the "dangerous" wilds in the darkness of night----with companions, when needed----all the while recognizing a: there's strength in numbers ...and b: there's no true reward without at least SOME "risk" ) .

So, no offense of course, but yeah i actually do indeed have the ability to umm distinguish. B)

And my point is: Why can't ESO satisfy both types of players more consistantly? (in 'overland' )

[edited and fixed, as per mod request]
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 15, 2021 9:31PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NeeScrolls - I don't need any more challenge than I have IRL. All I need is my "faceroll" fun (not that it's really a faceroll for me - hardly).

Optional harder overland, fine. Harder forced on me and others? Not interested.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    @NeeScrolls - I don't need any more challenge than I have IRL. All I need is my "faceroll" fun (not that it's really a faceroll for me - hardly).

i totally hear you (and others) and , just in case i wasn't clear in my posts ^ , i also have absolutely no problem with it (difficulty balance) being OPTIONAL. Choose to lose---or win---based on mood & mindset.

And again: i've now given a basic rudimentary example off the top of my head twice, which no one has commented specifically about yet. Instead u guys are just blanket dismissing my posts as if i'm somehow trying to take away your fun lol

The example i gave, wouldn't that be considered an "optional" choice to venture out away from safety of cities areas and choosing (if maybe you happen to be in the mood one day for some extra challenge) to venture into more "danger" areas?

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secondly, i used the term 'IMHO' , as in....In my humble opinion, as in: My belief, based on both being a human as well as observing human-beings for X amount of years, is that inherently at our core we humans FEEL more satisfied from EARNING something as opposed to getting something handed to us for "free" without any significant challenge.

Most people just use video games to destress or chill with friends and aren't looking for a challenge. The core audience of a game is always way smaller than the casuals. This is why games have become more streamlined than they were in the earlier days when it was a niche hobby.

But, they definitely should do more to make things more interesting for core users. Your idea of having the mobs out in the wilderness harder than the ones near points of interest is an interesting one. I think it might not work because it would change the experience for everyone, so people who just want to grab skyshards and surveys will probably be annoyed. But it does seem interesting.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 15, 2021 4:57PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i totally hear you (and others) and , just in case i wasn't clear in my posts ^ , i also have absolutely no problem with it (difficulty balance) being OPTIONAL. Choose to lose---or win---based on mood & mindset.

And again: i've now given a basic rudimentary example off the top of my head twice, which no one has commented specifically about yet. Instead u guys are just blanket dismissing my posts as if i'm somehow trying to take away your fun lol

The example i gave, wouldn't that be considered an "optional" choice to venture out away from safety of cities areas and choosing (if maybe you happen to be in the mood one day for some extra challenge) to venture into more "danger" areas?

The reason I didn't address that is because I don't see how it can ever be optional without separate zone setups - I can guarantee you I will never want harder than it is now, but others might at some point - I just am not sure ZOS wants to make two or more of each zone. And then there's how much harder by percentage or amount? No one's exactly the same when it comes to "how hard is harder enough?" as far as this thread has indicated.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play for fun. Yes, I will do hard stuff, and I do enjoy it

And quite like stuff I can get without trying too hard. 😘

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on November 15, 2021 8:34PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, it’s not ‘optional’ as it would affect everyone.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this thread was created, I was more interested in some other new game by some indie company called AGS or something. Well, with all those exploits and that absolutely insane and boring grind over there I am back to ESO for now.

I don't like to play overland content. It is far too easy, there is no engaging gameplay. I level up my character, get that gear, but it doesn't matter because every enemy dies to a few light attacks and maybe some spammable in between. Overland mobs can't do any meaningful damage. I like ESO combat and I would love to have an engaging experience in overland without going through all those troubles with mechanics like in vet dlc trials...

Especially quest bosses should offer interesting fights. I mean... it could even be optional. Just put some scroll or npc or something in before the boss fight to chose a harder fight.

Then there are rewards. Rewards are often poor. There are some quests which let me ride all over a map, go here, go there... and in the end I get a random item which isn't even a set piece! This happened to me in a long quest line in Elsweyr, I think it started with someone falling out of a window or something, I don't remember the name of the quest. Even when it's a set item... that's nice, but with the new curated loot not as good as before. Rewards need to improve. Additional gold, crafting materials, housing items, consumables, give us anything, it just needs to be more and better rewards.

Last thing, I have my issues with how the quests are designed. Walk there, interact with an item or npc or kill a npc/mob. Usually you don't need to read anything. I don't like how the stuff is presented to me. It feels like the NPC are talking so much, bla bla bla, nothing for me to find out. When I need to find some evidence or information in a quest, I just need to press E on it and the npc will tell me what it means, but I can just skip it because I will get a new quest marker anyway and there I will see if I have to interact with an item, npc or fight with an enemy. No need to care about the lore etc. at all. I assume there is no way for this to change because that's just how ESO works and that's why we don't really have choices in quests.

I would love to have more exploration in the game, meaningful exploration. Right now it is often just... well... Mostly I play overland content as a completionist. Just do it to have it done. Everything is the same, ever zone works the same, there is no need for exploration, there isn't anything to actually discover except maybe once in a while a small easter egg. I think it was Western Skyrim with the giants and the cheese which made you bigger for a short time? When I encountered that it was the biggest sense of wonder I had in ESO for a long time :). But then Western Skyrim had a final main quest boss which did no damage to me at all, so there's that.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Most people just use video games to destress or chill with friends and aren't looking for a challenge.
    Yep, i'm one of those people myself too...but just not 24/7 on 95% of every zone's overland so that it literally feels like i'm skating thru content like cotton-candy meaningless fluff.
    The core audience of a game is always way smaller than the casuals. This is why games have become more streamlined than they were in the earlier days when it was a niche hobby.
    Totally fair point.
    But, they definitely should do more to make things more interesting for core users. Your idea of having the mobs out in the wilderness harder than the ones near points of interest is an interesting one. I think it might not work because it would change the experience for everyone, so people who just want to grab skyshards and surveys will probably be annoyed. But it does seem interesting.
    Yeah the surveys thing could be tricky, but the rest of it could certainly be tweaked & balanced just fine to satisfy both sides of the playerbase imo.

Of course, it's easy for me to say when i'm not a Zenimax Developer who'd have to go into all what 30+ overland zones? to re-code re-calibrate spawn areas meticulously AND re-write spawning patterns to adjust for day/night danger cycles too. :D

Still, the way could be done....if there's a will. But let's be honest here: With all the money$ this game (and the industry as a whole) gains from F2P grindy game model + micro-transaction carrots-on-sticks, what real motivation does Zenimax have to cater to supposed minority of 'core' players who crave a bit more overland challenge?

Instead, they might just be more inclined to nudge us toward another Trial or Cyrodiil or dungeon tiers.

And i can certainly understand that, from a business perspective.
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 15, 2021 5:25PM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    I don’t come to a video game to get a sense of accomplishment or boost my self-esteem.
    I think you're over-doing it a bit with whole "self-esteem" part but ok i'll bite: So if you aren't accomplishing anything, then what's the point? Just to kill time? I ask this sorta cheeky but: Why does ESO has an 'achievements' tab? (achievement = accomplishment)
    That is for actual real life important things.
    This is a separate philosophical discussion, but i always find it interesting when we humans often forget that video-games, while not "real" , are also not played in a vacuum. Rather, they are played in real life by real people (at least until Zuckerberg tries to matrix users into his metaverse of games-within-games trap! ) and therefore illicit real emotional responses....by design....whether we realize it consciously or not.
    I play for fun.
    Me too, since i been subbed since 2013 beta, but i find it MORE fun to get a bit more challenge more often. That's all i meant.
    Yes, I will do hard stuff, and I do enjoy it, but I don’t need things to be feeding my ego or whatever.
    Again, i think you're going a bit overboard with the whole "ego" thing , since ALL of us play the game to "feed" something, no?
    And quite like stuff I can get without trying too hard.
    Yep, everyone likes free stuff (duh) that's easy to get.

My main point though---and i can see it's so polarizing, like nearly every topic is nowadays, that it's becoming echo chamber fodder----is that people might ALSO like just a few more oppotunities (overland options) to experience a few more challenging "risks" in the wilds than what ESO currently offers.

A nuanced middle-ground, so to speak.

After all, what's the point of having all these easy Skyshard skill-points & class variations & such....if all we have to do is button-mash blindly every enemy regardless of type?

[edited and fixed, as per mod request]
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 15, 2021 9:33PM
  • summ0004
    summ0004
    ✭✭✭
    Best to just focus on all the aspects that most people agree on.

implementing harder overland for ALL= NO
    Implementing separate vet overland on its own server= NO
    Just fight naked and gimp your character= NO
    Toggle to disable CPs in overland= Maybe
    Slider difficulty or scrolls in instanced quests= Yes

Seems there is currently 1 option that could be done easily without upsetting anyone and 1 option that is a possibility.

Could ZOS please consider these are viable options to make more diversity for players interest please.

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    summ0004 wrote: »
    If this forum thread is any definitive indication (and i'm not saying it necessarily is, since tbqh most players rarely even read the forums much less bother to post) the opinions have been split pretty much 50/50 right down the middle on each side of the issue, no? Shocker. Perhaps a better indicator (other than in-game metrics) would be some type of Launcher Poll upon 1st login?
    See my ideas above ^^ yet? There's more solution than just the extremes.
    Seems there is currently 1 option that could be done easily without upsetting anyone
    If there's 1 thing i've learned from years of MMO's , it's that no matter what devs do, someone somewhere is gonna be "upset". :D
    Could ZOS please consider these are viable options to make more diversity for players interest please.
    They stickied the thread, so they're most definitely following every post. Probably no need to @ them lol.
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 15, 2021 9:59PM
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However harder difficulty is achieved, players who have different difficulty settings shouldn't be able to be in the same instance together.
  • Maya_Nur
    Maya_Nur
    ✭✭✭✭

Seems there is currently 1 option that could be done easily without upsetting anyone and 1 option that is a possibility.

Isn't disabling CP just a part of weakening our character?
  • summ0004
    summ0004
    ✭✭✭
    Maya_Nur wrote: »

Isn't disabling CP just a part of weakening our character?

I suppose in some ways, but does'nt feel as bad as running around naked. I think the main problem is powercreep as mobs only scale to 160 CP and the CPs as a whole add too much damage and survivability to a game that was designed and scaled to 160 CP.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    We need scaling to be based not just off your character's level, but off their gear/champion points as well. If overhauling the scaling system is too much to ask, perhaps a 'Hard Mode' option that people can toggle on/off which boosts enemy health/attacks.
    I'm tired of having to intentionally cripple myself to make overland content even vaguely challenging. I love questing. It's what I enjoy most in ESO. Please toss us a bone here ZOS.

I think this is a good compromise increase the scaling to gear and CP. If you want easier mobs unslot your CP and take off your gold perfected trial gear and gold perfected arena weapons. If you're CP 3600 with gold perfected trial gear and gold perfected arena weapons the mobs should scale accordingly.
    Edited by SimonThesis on November 17, 2021 2:06AM