Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gates of Oblivion, the Year of Dagon is coming.

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    na, the foresty/swamp place is probably where city of ash took place. they are probably tying together dagon's involvement

Watch it be COA 3
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another year of game crashes, freezes and bluescreens is coming.. yayyy; but cool, I can kill more dragons. Plus, could romp around with the little hottie, Eveli, again. Enjoyed her enlightening humor in Wrothgar.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Another year of game crashes, freezes and bluescreens is coming.. yayyy; but cool, I can kill more dragons. Plus, could romp around with the little hottie, Eveli, again. Enjoyed her enlightening humor in Wrothgar.

Year of dagon not d"r"agon
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Year of dagon not d"r"agon

Damn.. my bad. Haven't had coffee yet and still hungovered from last night. Thanks for the check. Well, he looks like a dragon.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe we will learn what happened to the real clivia tharn before she was replaced by molag kena
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone can decypher what the chorus is chanting in the preview? Could that be an invocation name of a Daedric Prince?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we're not just redoing the plot of TES IV with the Planemeld/Molag Bal instead of the Oblivion Crisis/Mehrunes Dagon...we're literally seeing aspects of the same plot as TES IV.

Between Vvardenfell, dragons, Skyrim, and now Oblivion, I think ZOS has decided that nostalgia is where the money is at.

I personally dont really care. I haven't even played Oblivion myself though read/seen the basic plotline. Even still I'm not one of those that NEEDS to have something completely new every time.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Tharn did hint at ending the three banners war during Elsweyr after all!

Yeah, that turned out well, didn’t it?

You know they are going to bring him back right, its a given at this point :)
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Tharn did hint at ending the three banners war during Elsweyr after all!

Yeah, that turned out well, didn’t it?

You know they are going to bring him back right, its a given at this point :)

We will have to wait and see on that one.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Aetherderius
    Aetherderius
    ✭✭✭✭
    See, when I saw Eveli's funky bosmer pupil -
    ONOfqre.jpg
    - I thought 'Oo that looks like the Dawnstar star'
    And then the Potentate Crates had 2 crowns in them, specifically a Winterhold crown and a crown for Anthor, a mountain nearby.

What if Q4 has a Pale/Winterhold minizone?

But having it explained as 'nah all Bosmer eyes are like that' kinda sunk that theory.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See, when I saw Eveli's funky bosmer pupil -
    ONOfqre.jpg
    - I thought 'Oo that looks like the Dawnstar star'
    And then the Potentate Crates had 2 crowns in them, specifically a Winterhold crown and a crown for Anthor, a mountain nearby.

What if Q4 has a Pale/Winterhold minizone?

But having it explained as 'nah all Bosmer eyes are like that' kinda sunk that theory.

For some reason the eyes of elves in Eso all have the star crossed eyes. Orcs for example have them. I just looked at that. Altmer I think do as well. But it looks like whoever made the teaser trailer took notice of that and used it for Eveli.
    I'm guessing they did that to make mer more unique looking.
    PC NA
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you believe it, DAGON, IN YOUR OWN HOMELAND!?
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me hopes this isn't going to be an invasion proper, but a setup for Oblivion and the origin of the Mythic Dawn and Mysterium Xarxes. I mean of course Dagon is the type to take advantage of a chance to wreck stuff, but that'll be more of a hobby he's enjoying in between planning.

Same. Like a nice reference and hint to Oblivion, but the main story of the chapter will be something else. I love Cyrodiil but I don't want Oblivion 2.0, and it would be nice with a Chapter that doesn't have one of the daedric princes as the big bad.

Having one in some side content, especially one of the less shown ones? Yes, please. But no main story big bad.
    I'm still hoping for some Sanguine content even though I know it's unlikely with how underused and underrated he is throughout TES.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on December 16, 2020 11:13PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they still can't give mer proper mer eyes in the cinematics! Always look too human. Even if the bosmer in this one have more bosmer-ish eyes, they are still too human shaped and with too much visible sclera.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on December 16, 2020 11:14PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • LanteanPegasus
    LanteanPegasus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they announced a year of Nords, Witches, and Vampires I was happy to take a break, busy myself with all the stuff you can do in ESO, and looking forward to the year with the "Imperial" theme.

Now I get the teaser, and all I see is some other stupid Daedra, and an equally stupid wood elf that I was happy to part with in Wrothgar. Getting a bit anxious here...

Yes, Dagon was in Oblivion. I love Oblivion, it's my favourite TES game, but the parts that directly dealt with Dagon and his realm (like the Oblivion gate towers/the Deadlands) were the most booooring part of the whole game.

But I still hold out hope that Dagon will have about as much screen time as the dragons had in Elsweyr (thankfully little), and is just dominating the teaser for special effects, like the dragon did. Still nervous about that superfluous wood elf, though...
  • Aetherderius
    Aetherderius
    ✭✭✭✭
    WILD thought! What if Falinesti makes an appearance? It's off in Oblivion somewhere...

Nothing to back that theory up, outside of Eveli and all that plant-lookin stuff in the trailer.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now gates of oblivion is obviously the new dolmens.
    Wonder if they will work like dolmens / geysers or perhaps more like the ones in TES 4, you have to enter and do an dungeon. That would be an interesting twist.
    Not sure if an good idea but different.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    Can you believe it? Dagon's in your own homeland!

:s

No
    NO
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    "BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Josira wrote: »

No
    NO
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hopefully that will not be a thing again.
    PC NA
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Josira wrote: »

No
    NO
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hopefully that will not be a thing again.

This game stands on three elephants, which are: running on your horse, NPCs with repetitive comments in high-traffic spots and a peacefully snoozing hamster in a data center.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And we know who will say it :)
    300?cb=20130704224516

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    I find it really hard to care when the game is in the state it's currently in...

I still care enough to get excited about exploring new areas. But yeah, I understand what you mean.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Iccotak wrote: »
    So we're not just redoing the plot of TES IV with the Planemeld/Molag Bal instead of the Oblivion Crisis/Mehrunes Dagon...we're literally seeing aspects of the same plot as TES IV.

Between Vvardenfell, dragons, Skyrim, and now Oblivion, I think ZOS has decided that nostalgia is where the money is at.

And to top it off we’re going to get yet another lackluster anti-climatic main story boss.
    Not only for the chapter and story dlc but also the main antagonist that they hype for a whole year....🤦‍♂️

[Edited for spelling]

Can't wait to light attack the final boss of the whole year to do death and not have to learn any mechanics to fight him!

Who needs challenging boss fights that are hyped up all year, right?

Right. ZOS already tried doing the mechanics in Elsweyr and it was awful (attack a bit, wait, activate the horn, hide under the shield, wait, attack a bit, etc.). No wonder, though, as I am yet to see good mechanics in any game. Also, combat in ESO is not that fun to want it to do more, so there is a good reason to level up and use best sets to be in combat as less time as possible.

Completely disagree

The dungeons and trials have the most engaging combat because of the mechanics which are great btw.

It’s why people asked for more solo arenas because maelstrom was so much fun.

What I’m saying is take that level of design and put it to the main story bosses because their current mechanics are incredibly boring.

Yes Kaalgrontiid’s hit, hide, hit was boring and making it longer would be tedious (I should know) and I wanted something better. On par with the challenges that I know ZOS is capable of designing.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    Global reveal event January 21 2020 btw.... check the end of the trailer if you do not believe me.... seems we either missed it or? we doing 2020 part 2

Oh gods. Is there anything they can do without messing up?

nope seems they have to always make a mistake somewhere lol

I just saw that on the teaser video...right before the end it says:

"Gates Of Oblivion 2021"

then literally the next screen it says

"Global Reveal Event January 21st, 2020"

Typos be damned, QA strikes again! :trollface::p

:D:D

https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/1337213381758029830
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And to top it off we’re going to get yet another lackluster anti-climatic main story boss.
    Not only for the chapter and story dlc but also the main antagonist that they hype for a whole year....🤦‍♂️

[Edited for spelling]

Can't wait to light attack the final boss of the whole year to do death and not have to learn any mechanics to fight him!

Right. ZOS already tried doing the mechanics in Elsweyr and it was awful (attack a bit, wait, activate the horn, hide under the shield, wait, attack a bit, etc.). No wonder, though, as I am yet to see good mechanics in any game. Also, combat in ESO is not that fun to want it to do more, so there is a good reason to level up and use best sets to be in combat as less time as possible.

Completely disagree

The dungeons and trials have the most engaging combat because of the mechanics which are great btw.

What I’m saying is take that level of design and put it to the main story bosses because their current mechanics are incredibly boring.

Yes Kaalgrontiid’s hit, hide, hit was boring and making it longer would be tedious (I should know) and I wanted something better. On par with the challenges that I know ZOS is capable of designing.
    It is not like mechanics in dungeons are somewhat better. They are worse, and sometimes much worse than Elsweyr story dragon mechanics.
    The reason it is much worse is it is not done to be solved from the first try. Any dungeon mechanics is done with the assumption that the player (or group) will do it more than one time to actually solve it and to know what to do. This is an approach of repeatable content of arcanoids and the like. It may work with repeatable content. It is not working with story content. It disrupts the story with reloads or deaths and resurrections. Any story content should be done from the first try, at least when the character is of appropriate level.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

And we know who will say it :)
    300?cb=20130704224516

As long as its not an npc like Stuga, then we will just have to live with it. We will have to wait and see.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on December 18, 2020 6:31AM
    PC NA
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

[Edited for spelling]

Completely disagree

It is not like mechanics in dungeons are somewhat better. They are worse, and sometimes much worse than Elsweyr story dragon mechanics.
    The reason it is much worse is it is not done to be solved from the first try. Any dungeon mechanics is done with the assumption that the player (or group) will do it more than one time to actually solve it and to know what to do. This is an approach of repeatable content of arcanoids and the like. It may work with repeatable content. It is not working with story content. It disrupts the story with reloads or deaths and resurrections. Any story content should be done from the first try, at least when the character is of appropriate level.

And that reasoning is a big part as to why story bosses are so boring.

If it it can be done from the first try, if you don’t have to figure anything out, and you don’t have to try again, and overall presents no challenge - then it’s not fun.

And there is certainly no sense of accomplishment from that unless you’re a new player.

And to keep on designing the main story bosses (of a continuing story) for ONLY new players makes no sense for long term longevity or engagement.

(But I know better at this point to not argue with someone who’s scoffed at the idea of putting “effort” or challenge in a game, they’re just not going to get it and I’ll just agree to disagree)

(Edited for grammar)
    Edited by Iccotak on December 18, 2020 4:33PM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Edited for spelling]

Completely disagree

If it it can be done from the first try, if you don’t have to figure anything out, and you don’t have to try again, and overall presents no challenge - then it’s not fun.

And there is certainly no sense of accomplishment from that unless you’re a new player.

And to keep on designing the main story bosses (of a continuing story) for ONLY new players makes no sense for long term longevity or engagement.

(But I know better at this point to not argue with someone who’s scoffed at the idea of putting “effort” or challenge in a game, they’re just not going to get it and I’ll just agree to disagree)

(Edited for grammar)
    The sense of accomplishment in role-playing games comes from doing the story. You are playing your character, you are doing choices (without unnecessary restrictions), you get consequences. While doing so you develop your character to be ready for the final confrontation. No game master will tell you "OK, lets imagine that this fight has not happened, so try once more". You will come to the final confrontation if and when you are ready (the same way levelling works in most computer role-playing games), and you will face unbalanced and unsolvable from the first try encounter only if you insist on it and run ahead of the story. You will not get the second try, though. You fail the first try, and it is over for this character.

This is how things work in role-playing games, more importantly - story-oriented role-playing games. Things work different in platformers and the like, where there is little to no story and your gameplay consists of trying the same thing over and over and over and over until you finally memorize the one and only correct sequence of jumps, moves and attacks. This gameplay has nothing to do with role-playing games, especially with story-oriented role-playing games. That's why in ESO this gameplay is in arenas and not in the story quests.
    one mer to find them,
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

[Edited for spelling]

Completely disagree

(Edited for grammar)
    The sense of accomplishment in role-playing games comes from doing the story. You are playing your character, you are doing choices (without unnecessary restrictions), you get consequences. While doing so you develop your character to be ready for the final confrontation. No game master will tell you "OK, lets imagine that this fight has not happened, so try once more". You will come to the final confrontation if and when you are ready (the same way levelling works in most computer role-playing games), and you will face unbalanced and unsolvable from the first try encounter only if you insist on it and run ahead of the story. You will not get the second try, though. You fail the first try, and it is over for this character.

This is how things work in role-playing games, more importantly - story-oriented role-playing games. Things work different in platformers and the like, where there is little to no story and your gameplay consists of trying the same thing over and over and over and over until you finally memorize the one and only correct sequence of jumps, moves and attacks. This gameplay has nothing to do with role-playing games, especially with story-oriented role-playing games. That's why in ESO this gameplay is in arenas and not in the story quests.

Have you played other role-playing games?whether video game or tabletop RPG‘s?

If the story tells me that the boss I’m about to fight is a threat to the entire world, or even just a continent, then I expect the boss to be hard.

in a table top game, sure we can’t fight the boss again with the same characters especially if you die. But those bosses are designed to be hard in the challenge is not dying. (Games like Diablo seek to re-create that table top RPG experience with a permanent death setting) However, even Elder scrolls online story bosses don’t even have that challenge. There is basically zero risk to the player for the main story bosses.

Plenty of single player RPG‘s have hard main story boss fights that you die and have to keep trying again on.

Even comparing to the single player elder scroll games, you have a save function that lets you go back and try again if you died or just want to experience it again for the sake of it.

Also the dungeons and trials have their own stories and I don’t see anyone complaining about repeating that story.

By your logic the game shouldn’t even let you make another character to experience the story again.

A Bossfight being epic has never been hampered by my ability to repeat it again. In fact if a Bossfight is really good I’ll wanna do it again because I had so much fun doing it.

This mindset that gameplay and story are completely unrelated to each other is false. Gameplay and story go hand in hand and this has always been the case. Especially for RPGs

This insistence that elder scrolls online should basically be two separate games makes no sense.

Edit: In a video game - A lackluster and easy Boss fight (that’s hyped up over the course of a year or even within a chapter) is always going to be more immersion breaking than my ability to do that fight again with the same character. Always
    Edited by Iccotak on December 18, 2020 6:52PM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Edited for spelling]

Completely disagree

(Edited for grammar)

Have you played other role-playing games?whether video game or tabletop RPG‘s?

If the story tells me that the boss I’m about to fight is a threat to the entire world, or even just a continent, then I expect the boss to be hard.

in a table top game, sure we can’t fight the boss again with the same characters especially if you die. But those bosses are designed to be hard in the challenge is not dying. (Games like Diablo seek to re-create that table top RPG experience with a permanent death setting) However, even Elder scrolls online story bosses don’t even have that challenge. There is basically zero risk to the player for the main story bosses.

Plenty of single player RPG‘s have hard main story boss fights that you die and have to keep trying again on.

Even comparing to the single player elder scroll games, you have a save function that lets you go back and try again if you died or just want to experience it again for the sake of it.

Also the dungeons and trials have their own stories and I don’t see anyone complaining about repeating that story.

By your logic the game shouldn’t even let you make another character to experience the story again.

A Bossfight being epic has never been hampered by my ability to repeat it again. In fact if a Bossfight is really good I’ll wanna do it again because I had so much fun doing it.

This mindset that gameplay and story are completely unrelated to each other is false. Gameplay and story go hand in hand and this has always been the case. Especially for RPGs

This insistence that elder scrolls online should basically be two separate games makes no sense.
    I have played a lot.

If the story tells me that the boss is a great threat, then I expect to become as much a threat. Sometimes it is not a case. In Morrowind you don't need to fight with Dagoth Ur, you activate the Heart. In Oblivion you don't fight with Dagon, you try to light the Dragonfires (and when the plan fails you don't fight still, Martin does everything). The principle applies, though. That is the purpose of balancing a game. When you have done all the story before the boss, you (the party) either powerful enough or you use other means. It is not that you are still many times weaker than the boss in the end of the story and yet expected to overcome him by fight.

Story-oriented RPGs don't expect players to die over and over when trying to kill the boss. There are possibilities to save in computer RPGs, obviously, because there is no GM to mitigate player mistakes, bad luck or unbalanced builds.

As for the dungeons, there are complains about stories in the dungeons and overwhelmingly more complains about inability to do stories in dungeons because of rushing players. Players who rush without a thought about a story would not complain, there is nothing new here. They would complain, though, if they are forced to stop the rush and wait for the story.

Making another character is reading the book another time or watching a movie another time. There is nothing unexpected here. Doing the same fight over and over again is reading the same few pages over and over again or watching the same 2-minutes fight scene for some hours again and again. Repeatable content and story-rich content are mutually exclusive on a conceptual level, on a psychological level.

Gameplay in story-oriented RPGs is becoming stronger and stronger to continue winning fights you would lose without increasing character power (fights or other encounters, actually, as in RPG there can be no fights at all).

ESO is basically two separate games: one (larger part) for the ES RPG players with story content and another (smaller part) for MMO players with repeatable content.
    one mer to find them,