The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Story Mode Dungeons: Do we want them?

• Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES. We want a story mode.
    Yes for the simple reason that I have never had the chance to actually slow down and listen to/read the quests in dungeons because every group wants to just blow through them. I have no idea what the story is in most dungeons apart from hearing spoken dialogue while running or in combat. I would like to know what the stories are, and I would like to do that on my own time without holding a group back or having a group hold me back.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I voted yes.
    I don't have a problem doing these on normal, even with pugs, if I queue on a dps character.
    I don't have a problem doing these on vet within guild/friends.
    I don't have a problem asking/letting people know I need the quest on a run.
    What I do have a problem doing is taking the time to fully go through and explore branching dialog options, getting the dialog from the minor characters, etc. When I do overland questing for the first time in a particular area, I generally run solo, not in voice with other people, and I will abandon and repeat quests if they advance too quickly due to others in the area.

No, I haven't asked in my guilds for this, mostly because I've never seen anyone else ask. Also, when dungeons first roll out, I am usually more focused on learning the fights and mechanics than trying to take in all the story; that really only happens easily once I've gotten that all learned. I did try joining a discord for a lore-centric guild last year when they rolled out the Wrathstone dungeons, but between scheduling, stuff that was run mostly through guild chat, etc, it didn't really work out. I don't really want to use a guild slot for something that at most I would spend maybe 3-4 hours a year on. So instead, I just do the dungeons at the pace that seems reasonable for the group, read as much dialog as I can while doing the quest on multiple characters. It works to get the general idea of what's going on but it's not completely satisfactory.

For the record, I don't have a problem with optional additional difficulty in overland, but it is much more straightforward to implement different difficulty levels in instanced content like dungeons.
    Edited by kringled_1 on January 20, 2020 3:26PM
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO. Do not add a story mode.
    Mannix1958 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the downside of this proposal would be.

Even less people grouping, people getting rewards for doing nothing pretty much.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO every game that did this killed off all social and online interactions. this is an MMO dont want to play with other go play an offline game. SWTOR did this and killed its entire online dungeon running community. if you ruin eso i WILL find you.

The New World was an open world survival full loot pvp game, not they just announced becasue some people cried in alpha they are REMOVING ALL OPEN WORLD PVP... wtf x100000000000000000000000000000000000

Exactly, swtor bombed through the floor when it came to social aspects when that damn story mode came out with invincible companions.
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be cool if they added a toggle or checkbox under the Normal/ Veteran toggle. 😊
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • kenneth.friisb16_ESO
    I voted yes, but at the same time I see the potential threat to the social element of the game.

I saw a solution somewhere before, where it was a mode you selected in group finder. This way you could locate people who wanted to do the dungeon in a mode where you couldn't just rush through the story.
    This solution offers numerous other potential fallacies, but would not kill off the multiplayer aspect of the game.
    PC-EU
    Dastan Kingfrey - Gentleman Thief, Adventurer and Philanthropist
    Kenneth Kingfrey - Spellsword, member of the Mages Guild
    Thurin Hammerhand - Northern Warden, Traveller and NOT a dwarf
    Kenneth Willysson - Wanderer, Mountaineer and Swinger of Axes

PS4-EU
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Although I don’t want a story mode, let people who want it have it.
    TheFM wrote: »

Even less people grouping, people getting rewards for doing nothing pretty much.

No one said they would get rewards. In fact, most of us agree that there would be no rewards so people would still have to run normal and vet for gear.

Also, I don't believe it would effect grouping at all considering the ones that would use it aren't grouping anyways (or are using pre-mades, which wouldn't change).
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Stop bending the game to what you want it to be, stop choosing the hardest option, choose the simplest. Suggest that instead of releasing the entire storyline as the dungeons, Zenimax should release a separate standalone quest line that runs alongside the dungeons, with the standalone quest line acting as the main line, and the dungeons maybe providing context and setting, with their own mini self-contained storyline.

Um. You realize that's how things currently work, right? The dungeons just add context.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO every game that did this killed off all social and online interactions. this is an MMO dont want to play with other go play an offline game. SWTOR did this and killed its entire online dungeon running community. if you ruin eso i WILL find you.

The New World was an open world survival full loot pvp game, not they just announced becasue some people cried in alpha they are REMOVING ALL OPEN WORLD PVP... wtf x100000000000000000000000000000000000

no one is asking to remove group content.

no one is asking to remove pvp.

we only want to be able to experience the STORY alone and in peace.
    i and many others would still run dungeons with a group, e.g. for pledges or just for fun with guildies. those things aren't mutually exclusive, you know.
    PC EU
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my personal view this is a core part of what the game is an MMO, that is grp play, that's what dungeons are.

But if people want to complete it like a delve then let them...
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    haelene wrote: »

No one said they would get rewards. In fact, most of us agree that there would be no rewards so people would still have to run normal and vet for gear.

Also, I don't believe it would effect grouping at all considering the ones that would use it aren't grouping anyways (or are using pre-mades, which wouldn't change).

See swtor, or any mmo that implemented this. IT destroyed the social aspect.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Stop bending the game to what you want it to be, stop choosing the hardest option, choose the simplest. Suggest that instead of releasing the entire storyline as the dungeons, Zenimax should release a separate standalone quest line that runs alongside the dungeons, with the standalone quest line acting as the main line, and the dungeons maybe providing context and setting, with their own mini self-contained storyline.

Um. You realize that's how things currently work, right? The dungeons just add context.

Not anymore. Since Elsweyr, they're pushing major story events into the dungeon storylines as part of the year-long "saga".

What I'm suggesting is releasing a standalone quest that doesn't actually touch the dungeons beyond maybe nudging you towards them to encourage running them, that can be played like any other side quest line in the game. Sorta like the prologue quest lines released for some chapter's/DLC's.

That way, group content remains for groups, as its name implies, and casuals are able to do the main story line of the DLC without touching any group content, beyond branches that offer additional context or side stories.
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize we were talking about Swtor and not ESO. I can't speak to anything with that game. Never played it.

People who don't socialize with you now are not suddenly going to begin because you want them to and are preventing them from doing content. People who do socialize are going to continue to do so, even with a story mode especially since pledges, daily normal's, and gear would all be a part of normal and vet content.
    Edited by haelene on January 20, 2020 2:46PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snoozy wrote: »
    zvavi wrote: »
    Two main downsides.
    1. More instances on the server side means more lag, rip PC EU.
    2. Some players that came for the single player, have stayed for the multiplayer, if dungeons had story mode, those players wouldnt stay, and eso would lose customers.
    3. Stop flooding the forums with the same thread.

1. those instances are the same right now with people soloing. the players that want a story mode most likely would only play through each dungeon once or twice to experience the story. no issue here.
    imo story mode should only give the rewards upon first completion, so that it can't be abused as easy farming.

2. i and many others enjoy both single and multiplayer. they are fundamentally different experiences though. solo play is about exploring and enjoying the story and environment at your own pace. multiplayer is about working together as a team to overcome a challenge. nobody is asking for group mode to be removed, only for story mode to be added. eso wouldn't lose any players.

3. stop resisting to change that doesn't put you at any disadvantage whatsoever. learn to accept that different players enjoy different things. if you don't care, you don't have to reply.

1. Legitimate story mode will definitely higher the amount of players "soloing" dungeons, therefore saying it won't impact me and won't create extra instances, is a lie.
    2. If you read what i said, it wasn't about removing group mode. What i meant that, if dungeons had story mode, some people wouldn't even try to meddle in the group mode.
    3. For your information the reason i dont pursue vet overland is for the same reason I stated as 1. Which is more instances means more lag. Now you could say that i am wrong and that it wouldn't actually affect me, but blaming me for not accepting other's opinions is a bit offensive :cry: , and if you have read what i said, you would see it has no connection to reality.
    Edited by zvavi on January 20, 2020 2:48PM
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure why not. I see no harm in it. Another option would be some sort of alternative group story mode.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I didn't realize we were talking about Swtor and not ESO.

People who don't socialize with you now are not suddenly going to begin because you want them to and are preventing them from doing content. People who do socialize are going to continue to do so, even with a story mode especially since pledges, daily normal's, and gear would all be a part of normal and vet content.

We are using swtor as an example, since

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Afterwards people who grouped before, stopped grouping
    Social aspect died

Same thing people are asking for, caused a massive crash in the social aspect of an mmo, it will happen here again if we get this.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes please. I get tired of farming and crafting, basically do it between the release of chapters and DLC. Currently start feeling a burn out issue with it.

Playing dungeons atm is not interesting for me, as I prefer to play solo. Groups with kick votes and speed runs destroy the exploration fun, so I don't do them at all.

Adding a story mode would not harm anyone, but add a lot of new content for me, keeping my interest in the game alive.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on January 20, 2020 2:49PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not anymore. Since Elsweyr, they're pushing major story events into the dungeon storylines as part of the year-long "saga".

Without doing dungeons: Elsweyr prologue quest has Tharn saying that he acquired the Wrathstone from some adventurer.

With doing dungeons: You've seen how that Wrathstone was acquired. This is what we call context.

Major story events? Pfft. ZOS is already aware of the inaccessibility of group content for some people. That's why the system is already structured such that you don't lose the story if you don't do the dungeons. But if you do, you get a little bonus to the story in the form of additional context. That's how the system already works.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

Same thing people are asking for, caused a massive crash in the social aspect of an mmo, it will happen here again if we get this.

There are so many variables that could be different here. Did they have daily normals? What about rewards - did story mode give those out? Did the people in SWTOR stop needing to farm gear?

If there is no incentive to do the normal or vet dungeons, of course people won't. Here there is incentive to those who are already doing them, and making a story mode won't change that.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the "Story Mode" is unlocked by completing the dungeon normally the first time, why not?

But at the end of the day, dungeons are group content and are there to encourage people to play together, so that should be the price you pay for playing it by yourself as many times as you like afterwards (which will likely only be once).
    The Moot Councillor
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭

As is proposed in this poll they would forfeit any rewards in such a story mode. As a result I'm not sure very many less would group rather it allows those who dislike grouping or slowing a group down with the story to see it play out.

There are a few dungeons where I've completed them several times and no clue why other than we entered as a group and had to defeat said beasts and avoid traps. So I'd likely go back and story mode them.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

There are so many variables that could be different here. Did they have daily normals? What about rewards - did story mode give those out? Did the people in SWTOR stop needing to farm gear?

If there is no incentive to do the normal or vet dungeons, of course people won't. Here there is incentive to those who are already doing them, and making a story mode won't change that.

Rewards were awful for story mode, gear was ALWAYS needed in the game, people just stopped because they could get away with experiencing the content themselves. Its one of the main reason the game just flopped, along with several other design decisions. Im using real world data to demonstrate why its an awful idea, assuming itll be ok is not supported by any actual data.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The lore is a reward :trollface:
  • Lucious90
    Lucious90
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt the actual game mode just one big story?

Or just play Skyrim or TES 6 when it comes out
    Xbox/NA
    Naturegoat - Stam Warden
    Healgoat- Mag temp
    Staticgoat- Stam Sorc
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

Rewards were awful for story mode, gear was ALWAYS needed in the game, people just stopped because they could get away with experiencing the content themselves. Its one of the main reason the game just flopped, along with several other design decisions. Im using real world data to demonstrate why its an awful idea, assuming itll be ok is not supported by any actual data.

See, that doesn't make sense. If they always needed gear, they would always need to run the content right? And if story mode doesn't give them what they need, why would they run it instead of the mode they need to get gear? There's no logic in that.

Interesting that you say "along with several other design decisions".
  • zShepplin
    zShepplin
    ✭✭✭
    There is no need to create a new mode simply for the inept. The means already exist in game to experience everything that is has to offer, you simply need to use your people skills. It does not matter that you want to experience it alone, its an online game. You want to be alone, go play something else.....alone. Most people can solo normal dungeons, those who cannot can ask a friend for help. Those with out friends are simply assed out and need to fix themselves. They are the problem. If they are unable to find anyone willing to help them, it is likely because their request is asinine. Problem solved.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other:
    I am not one to say "don't waste resources on this" just because I have no interest personally in something. However I am cautious when I think a feature will have unintended consequences, and I am leaning more towards "no" on this one.

I understand why people want a story mode but I fear that adding this will increase intolerance for others going through the story while participating in a "fighting" dungeon. When leveling my alts I enjoy going through the normal dungeons, fighting and getting drops to d/e, doing the quest, and getting the skill point at the end all in one go. I even like having the stories I've done before, as it makes the dungeon feel as if it has some kind of point. I like it when my alt runs a DLC for the first time and I see the quest, as basically it's a surprise skill point. :) Somehow, folks being able to say "go back to story mode!" seems as if it will make the community more toxic than the way things are now. The community will slowly add "rules" to what's acceptable and I think we'll lose a lot of the cooperation that we currently see.

Basically I like how things are now, and I think it's better for the community the way it is now, so I am not sure I can vote "let people who want it have it" because I don't think its addition would be a harmless "extra" feature from the perspective of how I enjoy the game today; I think it would make certain aspects worse.
    Edited by peacenote on January 20, 2020 3:31PM
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all,

I have no ability to censure anybody, but I ask you to respect that the point of this thread is to discover the opinions of the community, not to explain why other’s opinions are mistaken.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

See, that doesn't make sense. If they always needed gear, they would always need to run the content right? And if story mode doesn't give them what they need, why would they run it instead of the mode they need to get gear? There's no logic in that.

Interesting that you say "along with several other design decisions".

So would you be ok with a veteran mode overland instance with improved rewards?
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

The lore is a reward :trollface:

Thank you for making me laugh! :wink: