✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. Do not add a story mode.
    haelene wrote: »
    zvavi wrote: »
    TheFM wrote: »
    Mannix1958 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the downside of this proposal would be.

Even less people grouping, people getting rewards for doing nothing pretty much.

No one said they would get rewards. In fact, most of us agree that there would be no rewards so people would still have to run normal and vet for gear.

Also, I don't believe it would effect grouping at all considering the ones that would use it aren't grouping anyways (or are using pre-mades, which wouldn't change).

The lore is a reward :trollface:

Thank you for making me laugh! :wink:

You are welcome :joy:
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Although I don’t want a story mode, let people who want it have it.

Even less people grouping, people getting rewards for doing nothing pretty much.

No one said they would get rewards. In fact, most of us agree that there would be no rewards so people would still have to run normal and vet for gear.

Also, I don't believe it would effect grouping at all considering the ones that would use it aren't grouping anyways (or are using pre-mades, which wouldn't change).

See swtor, or any mmo that implemented this. IT destroyed the social aspect.

I didn't realize we were talking about Swtor and not ESO.

People who don't socialize with you now are not suddenly going to begin because you want them to and are preventing them from doing content. People who do socialize are going to continue to do so, even with a story mode especially since pledges, daily normal's, and gear would all be a part of normal and vet content.

We are using swtor as an example, since

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Afterwards people who grouped before, stopped grouping
    Social aspect died

Same thing people are asking for, caused a massive crash in the social aspect of an mmo, it will happen here again if we get this.

There are so many variables that could be different here. Did they have daily normals? What about rewards - did story mode give those out? Did the people in SWTOR stop needing to farm gear?

If there is no incentive to do the normal or vet dungeons, of course people won't. Here there is incentive to those who are already doing them, and making a story mode won't change that.

Rewards were awful for story mode, gear was ALWAYS needed in the game, people just stopped because they could get away with experiencing the content themselves. Its one of the main reason the game just flopped, along with several other design decisions. Im using real world data to demonstrate why its an awful idea, assuming itll be ok is not supported by any actual data.

See, that doesn't make sense. If they always needed gear, they would always need to run the content right? And if story mode doesn't give them what they need, why would they run it instead of the mode they need to get gear? There's no logic in that.

Interesting that you say "along with several other design decisions".

So would you be ok with a veteran mode overland instance with improved rewards?

I would be okay with veteran mode overland without improved rewards. Story mode gets no rewards, neither does vet overland. Pretty sure I've taken that stance already.
    Options
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People who don't socialize with you now are not suddenly going to begin because you want them to and are preventing them from doing content. People who do socialize are going to continue to do so, even with a story mode especially since pledges, daily normal's, and gear would all be a part of normal and vet content.

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

Same thing people are asking for, caused a massive crash in the social aspect of an mmo, it will happen here again if we get this.

There are so many variables that could be different here. Did they have daily normals? What about rewards - did story mode give those out? Did the people in SWTOR stop needing to farm gear?

If there is no incentive to do the normal or vet dungeons, of course people won't. Here there is incentive to those who are already doing them, and making a story mode won't change that.

Rewards were awful for story mode, gear was ALWAYS needed in the game, people just stopped because they could get away with experiencing the content themselves. Its one of the main reason the game just flopped, along with several other design decisions. Im using real world data to demonstrate why its an awful idea, assuming itll be ok is not supported by any actual data.

See, that doesn't make sense. If they always needed gear, they would always need to run the content right? And if story mode doesn't give them what they need, why would they run it instead of the mode they need to get gear? There's no logic in that.

I would be okay with veteran mode overland without improved rewards. Story mode gets no rewards, neither does vet overland. Pretty sure I've taken that stance already.

How would it hurt you though? See how I can turn that around?
    Options
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES. We want a story mode.
    If they plan to stay with this year long story kind of approach, we definitely do.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are considerations though, like how dungeon sets are gated behind the challenge of group content.
    Story mode versions can just drop overland sets from the zone they are in though, to be fair to those who do the group version.
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its an mmo
    It implemented this
    Social aspect died

How would it hurt you though? See how I can turn that around?

In an effort to respect the author of this thread, I will take this to PM's.
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other:
    snoozy wrote: »
    zvavi wrote: »
    2. Some players that came for the single player, have stayed for the multiplayer, if dungeons had story mode, those players wouldnt stay, and eso would lose customers.

2. i and many others enjoy both single and multiplayer. they are fundamentally different experiences though. solo play is about exploring and enjoying the story and environment at your own pace. multiplayer is about working together as a team to overcome a challenge. nobody is asking for group mode to be removed, only for story mode to be added. eso wouldn't lose any players.

I think the argument, which to a certain extent I agree with, is that if story mode existed, ESO players who had no initial interest in dungeons wouldn't have ever tried a dungeon, had they not been forced to try it to experience the story, thus greatly reducing the amount of content available for those players, with the result that they leave the game sooner.

ESO is structured to encourage everyone to try everything (much to the chagrin of PvP or PvE-only centric players), and while that's not everyone's cup of tea I do believe that it works. It's worked on me, haha.

So no, if a story mode were added now, veteran players who enjoy multi-player would not suddenly leave ESO in droves. However players new to ESO, and especially players new to ESO and MMOs in general, might never dip their toes in a dungeon if they came for the story and could access all of it without even to having step foot in a normal. And that may not be a good thing....
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much of this i wonder is down to console gamers... Im a PC gamer but i used to work with a bunch of CONSOLE gamers nerds who were big skyrim fans nothing before that. When ESO came out i was hyped and loved it but ALL and i mean EVERYONE who played onc onsole and bought the game hates it and said they quit after a day or tro i asked why and they said its NOTHING like SKYRIM. They hates the 3rd person, they hated the fact you had to play with others and even having to log in lol.
    I was once Banned for making a game criticism. Think about that.
    Options
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all,

I have no ability to censure anybody, but I ask you to respect that the point of this thread is to discover the opinions of the community, not to explain why other’s opinions are mistaken.

So...no discussion. Fair enough, it is your thread after all!

I’m not trying to end discussion. I’m encouraging dialogue that seeks to understand another person’s view rather than to be dismissive of it.

How refreshing would it be to hear somebody say, “hey, I’m seeing this totally different than you, help me understand what YOU are saying and seeing.”

That was my purpose. And doing that has shocked me. Last I looked, out of 127 votes, 70 people want this. I had no clue it was going to be like this. I’m learning about my fellow players.

Let’s try that.
    Options
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To all,

I have no ability to censure anybody, but I ask you to respect that the point of this thread is to discover the opinions of the community, not to explain why other’s opinions are mistaken.

I’m not trying to end discussion. I’m encouraging dialogue that seeks to understand another person’s view rather than to be dismissive of it.

How refreshing would it be to hear somebody say, “hey, I’m seeing this totally different than you, help me understand what YOU are saying and seeing.”

That was my purpose. And doing that has shocked me. Last I looked, out of 127 votes, 70 people want this. I had no clue it was going to be like this. I’m learning about my fellow players.

Let’s try that.

A lot of it seems to be the general audience the thread brings in, too.

Look at the two threads going on about ESO being a TES game first and foremost, vs ESO being an MMO first and foremost. TES thread mostly has reactions (agrees, awesomes, insightfuls) in support of pro-TES, while MMO thread mostly has reactions in support of pro-MMO.

Setting aside which side we're on, it's actually pretty interesting the way this debate has been received, on both sides.
    Options
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    However players new to ESO, and especially players new to ESO and MMOs in general, might never dip their toes in a dungeon if they came for the story and could access all of it without even to having step foot in a normal. And that may not be a good thing....

interesting point. i partially agree on that one.

but i do believe that the rewards dungeons and pledges offer would still be enough to entice players into trying them.

i also imagine people might be more confident to run them in a group if they'd had the chance to explore them and learn the mechanics without pressure first.
    Edited by snoozy on January 20, 2020 3:13PM
    PC EU
    Options
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much of this i wonder is down to console gamers... Im a PC gamer but i used to work with a bunch of CONSOLE gamers nerds who were big skyrim fans nothing before that. When ESO came out i was hyped and loved it but ALL and i mean EVERYONE who played onc onsole and bought the game hates it and said they quit after a day or tro i asked why and they said its NOTHING like SKYRIM. They hates the 3rd person, they hated the fact you had to play with others and even having to log in lol.
    Why do you think that everyone on PC would be interested in questionable multiplayer content? I have never played on consoles. I am playing on PC for more than 30 years. I have zero interest in grouping and other multiplayer activities in video games.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
    Options
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    To all,

Let’s try that.

Look at the two threads going on about ESO being a TES game first and foremost, vs ESO being an MMO first and foremost. TES thread mostly has reactions (agrees, awesomes, insightfuls) in support of pro-TES, while MMO thread mostly has reactions in support of pro-MMO.

Setting aside which side we're on, it's actually pretty interesting the way this debate has been received, on both sides.

Agreed most are actually discussing points rather than flaming.
    Options
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with most ppl voting No, because MMO should encourage players to try to do group stuff (and i think, it should be encouraged even more than is now). Quest in dungs aren't crucial for understanding 'main' stories, so i don't see much of a problem atm.

anyway, i wonder how many people would really like to get 'story mode' where you don't get any rewards for finishing dung. This means: no gear, no key or no skill point (which is nice incentive for new players). I guess, that most players wanting 'story mode', would just like to get solo difficulty setting with all incentives.
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or vet Trial Dummy with buffs and Aetherial Well (look for the Harrowing Reaper on the northern rock wall) ↑↑↑
    Options
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all,

Let’s try that.

I agree. And I think both sides miss a little bit the scope of what ZOS has accomplished. This actually IS a game that you can successfully play as EITHER a mmo OR a smaller scale RPG. That is absolutely amazing that they have done that.
    Options
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People don't want others to have fun even if it has no effect on them whatsoever. I never understood that type of thinking.
    Options
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess, that most players wanting 'story mode', would just like to get solo difficulty setting with all incentives.

you guessed wrong. in this case, most people arguing pro story mode actually suggested it shouldn't give the rewards. :)
    PC EU
    Options
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Story mode I want to be able to do the quest and get the skill point. I cant count how many times I Random a new dungeon and the tank runs so fast though the dungeon I get 0% of the dialog. So much work to add story to dungeons and I dont know any of them 7 months into the game.
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all,

Let’s try that.

I agree. And I think both sides miss a little bit the scope of what ZOS has accomplished. This actually IS a game that you can successfully play as EITHER a mmo OR a smaller scale RPG. That is absolutely amazing that they have done that.

That was kinda my point. That it's not only possible because they built something that wasn't just a cookie cutter MMO, but that we should support and continue that kind of ingenuity because it would be good for the game overall.
    Edited by haelene on January 20, 2020 3:21PM
    Options
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    In Story mode I want to be able to do the quest and get the skill point. I cant count how many times I Random a new dungeon and the tank runs so fast though the dungeon I get 0% of the dialog. So much work to add story to dungeons and I dont know any of them 7 months into the game.

Ask in chat in the capitals if people want tod o story runs.....
    Options
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with most ppl voting No, because MMO should encourage players to try to do group stuff (and i think, it should be encouraged even more than is now). Quest in dungs aren't crucial for understanding 'main' stories, so i don't see much of a problem atm.

anyway, i wonder how many people would really like to get 'story mode' where you don't get any rewards for finishing dung. This means: no gear, no key or no skill point (which is nice incentive for new players). I guess, that most players wanting 'story mode', would just like to get solo difficulty setting with all incentives.

Well the poll question does say with no rewards...altering it to include them changes things quite a bit. It would be like changing "Do you eat apples on a regular basis?" to "Do you eat rotten apples on a regular basis? "

For myself, no way would I support a story mode that gives anything more than just experiencing the story & lore.
    Options
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess, that most players wanting 'story mode', would just like to get solo difficulty setting with all incentives.

you guessed wrong. in this case, most people arguing pro story mode actually suggested it shouldn't give the rewards. :)

Nope. See comment below.
    In Story mode I want to be able to do the quest and get the skill point.

Edited by Paramedicus on January 20, 2020 3:24PM
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or vet Trial Dummy with buffs and Aetherial Well (look for the Harrowing Reaper on the northern rock wall) ↑↑↑
    Options
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mannix1958 is right. Adding rewards (rightly or wrongly) would dramatically change what the poll is asking.
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Not anymore. Since Elsweyr, they're pushing major story events into the dungeon storylines as part of the year-long "saga".

Without doing dungeons: Elsweyr prologue quest has Tharn saying that he acquired the Wrathstone from some adventurer.

With doing dungeons: You've seen how that Wrathstone was acquired. This is what we call context.

Major story events? Pfft. ZOS is already aware of the inaccessibility of group content for some people. That's why the system is already structured such that you don't lose the story if you don't do the dungeons. But if you do, you get a little bonus to the story in the form of additional context. That's how the system already works.

While we have different votes on this issue, I agree on this. The dungeon stories are peripheral. From my runs through them, I got enough of an idea what's going on to make sense without having to do story in depth.
    For the Wrathstone dungeons, though, if I go back and look through the UESP pages? There's a lot I missed in Frostvault. Most of it concerns the goblins and a secondary NPC; it's hardly essential for anything but I'd still like to be able to read it and listen to the voiced dialog at my own pace someday.
    The DLC dungeons are (I think) better than some of the base game dungeons where quest NPCS are just not even present if noone is on the quest, but that doesn't mean that they are particularly well suited for story telling.
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. See comment below.

Skill point is tied to the story though, so I'm not sure they could split that up.

I would agree otherwise though. No loot, no undaunted or fighters guild rep, ect.
    Options
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nope. See comment below.

You're really that worried about someone getting a skill point? Wild
    Options
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. See comment below.

ONE comment asking for a skill point. it was also posted AFTER my reply.

if you had read in the other threads a bit, you would see that most people advocate for no rewards. :)
    PC EU
    Options
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no story hidden behind vet HM

if you can't complete normal...
    Quoted post has been removed.

It's not that we who want story mode couldn't finish the dungeons. But we can't do it the way we would like, without missing dialogs and options - unless we find somehow at least one player to do it just as slow as we like it. It's not that simple usually.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on January 20, 2020 8:04PM
    Options
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No its about people like me who love story and lore. I have been here 7 months and I have yet to hear the story on a single quest. Every time I ask if we can wait while I do the quest. People drop group and I need to re Q for the dungeon. Its a pain. I want to be able to enjoy the story, get my skill point and also take time to explore the dungeon. Often you cant even do that after everything has been killed in the dungeon because if your the last one in the dungeon, you get kicked. Make the mobs 80% easier so they can be soloed. Remove the mechanics. Lower the exp by allot. Let us do the dungeon quest and get our skill point. Let you bring a friend in solo mode so you can explore with a friend. Make the loot drop be the equivalent of overworld mobs.
    Options
  • Thorgar
    Thorgar
    ✭✭✭

No its about people like me who love story and lore. I have been here 7 months and I have yet to hear the story on a single quest. Every time I ask if we can wait while I do the quest. People drop group and I need to re Q for the dungeon. Its a pain. I want to be able to enjoy the story, get my skill point and also take time to explore the dungeon. Often you cant even do that after everything has been killed in the dungeon because if your the last one in the dungeon, you get kicked. Make the mobs 80% easier so they can be soloed. Remove the mechanics. Lower the exp by allot. Let us do the dungeon quest and get our skill point. Let you bring a friend in solo mode so you can explore with a friend. Make the loot drop be the equivalent of overworld mobs.

Totally agree with this.+1

...are Bretons then mongrels,or paragons?
    The answer,of course,is both(though if you call a Breton
    a mongrel,he is liable to feed you an inch or two of steel).
    The passionate race of Bretons embodies the strengths
    of both men and mer-as well as there flaws.

-The Bretons: mongrels or paragons?
    Options