The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

EU Server Performance - Update from Matt Firor

• Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or maybe you can check the article where they've laid out their gameplan and are posting monthly updates. They posted one earlier this week in fact, explaining where they are and what they're doing...

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

(I'm on my phone and don't feel like dancing through formatting hoops, so feel free to copy and paste.)

Granted, if you feel they're a bunch of lying, contemptuous, greedy, mustache-twirling Saturday-morning-cartoon villains, what they're saying is meaningless, but that part's on your end.

Why would anyone bother calling them liars? With regards to the server performance (the subject of this thread) they haven't actually said anything that could be disagreed with. No details about what may actually change or what scale of improvement we are expected to see. The only piece of information that they have provided is that it will be part of Update 25 in Q1 2020.

Cartoon villains they may not be... but let's not suggest that ZOS's response to this has been anything to write home about either, shall we?
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Wow has crap gfx less data to transmit

I guess Overwatch has "crap gfx" too, cause it works flawlessly. And despite fact that ESO has "old" engine, in low traffic hours ESO works great. It's all about load and insufficient server capacity. ZOS chiefs simply don't think that big investment in servers will ever pay off, so they do only minor HW upgrades and try to fix performance by tweaking game code....

Programmers are more expensive than hardware. The only reason not to buy hardware I can imagine is that load is nonlinear (read "ESO is buggy mess"), which would make attempts at hardware solution very costly.
    In other words, facing choice between expensive programmers and costly hardware, ZOS's corporate overlords probably chose to hire another addictologist, ha ha ha. Hm.

I am pretty sure that they are at the bounds of what the hardware can do. Short of splitting the megaservers, which I don't want them to do, the solution lies in optimizing the software. That means programmers. Alternately, time.

Why not? They can split them and allow one-time account transfer. People who are satisfied with current performance or can't transfer as entire guild can remain on current server. People and guilds for whom "game is unplayable" move to new server. Everyone is happy, problem solved. There will be some mess and drama with separation of guilds, but better start a new with good performance then struggle with lag and crashes.

Or even better: ZOS could do it like Black desert Online. Maybe with less servers but we will be able to log in with the same character on any of the servers. This type of architecture isn't so hard to implement.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Or maybe you can check the article where they've laid out their gameplan and are posting monthly updates. They posted one earlier this week in fact, explaining where they are and what they're doing...

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

(I'm on my phone and don't feel like dancing through formatting hoops, so feel free to copy and paste.)

Granted, if you feel they're a bunch of lying, contemptuous, greedy, mustache-twirling Saturday-morning-cartoon villains, what they're saying is meaningless, but that part's on your end.

Why would anyone bother calling them liars? With regards to the server performance (the subject of this thread) they haven't actually said anything that could be disagreed with. No details about what may actually change or what scale of improvement we are expected to see. The only piece of information that they have provided is that it will be part of Update 25 in Q1 2020.

Cartoon villains they may not be... but let's not suggest that ZOS's response to this has been anything to write home about either, shall we?

Yep, that's exactly it. They aren't lying, they're just being very slow about getting anything done. I do really appreciate the monthly updates on this issue, and I hope they can stick to those monthly updates. But when WoW, SWTOR, and GW2, are all able to consistently provide us with pings between 25 and 40, then ZOS is undeniably letting us down by having ignored this issue of triple-digit ping with frequent spikes into the red zone for so long, and now saying "maybe we'll be able to do something about it a year from now..."

It really does make the game hard to enjoy, when you know the service you're being provided is worse than all the competition. We already love the gameplay and the setting - we want to love the performance too. That's not an unreasonable request.
  • solinas72
    solinas72
    Soul Shriven
    Why do subscribers not get compensated for your server maintenance & patch updates? The constant updates that fix nothing absolutely nothing , constantly being kicked from the server or trials is tiresome & that message This may be an unusual load time is a complete joke . I started playing eso when it launched & steadily it has become more & more glitchy . Why offer online services if your server can’t handle it ? ESO is an excellent game that is being destroyed by the issues above that have occurred in the last 3 years . Customer complaints of game performances are always ignored & patched over .
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please make sure the server has a valid internet connection!!!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • MrkiKT
    MrkiKT
    Soul Shriven
    <3
  • QuinnTheWolf
    QuinnTheWolf
    ✭✭✭
    i feel incredibly lucky for the fact that ive been playing skyrim all day O-o, becouse that means i didnt had to suffer trough the problems everyone has on the eu servers for pc/mack hehehe, long live modded skyrim and skyrim se
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pray to jesus The elder scrolls 6 wont require an internet connection
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    solinas72 wrote: »
    Why do subscribers not get compensated for your server maintenance & patch updates? The constant updates that fix nothing absolutely nothing , constantly being kicked from the server or trials is tiresome & that message This may be an unusual load time is a complete joke . I started playing eso when it launched & steadily it has become more & more glitchy . Why offer online services if your server can’t handle it ? ESO is an excellent game that is being destroyed by the issues above that have occurred in the last 3 years . Customer complaints of game performances are always ignored & patched over .

Oddly enough, I think they would respond that they are providing the level of service that they have agreed to provide. The customer may disagree with that, but then the customer does not need to pay for the subscription, either.

When I renew my ESO Plus subscription, the purchase decision is based on what they have done in the past, not what I expect them to do in the future. Of course, I do expect the game to be offered for the duration of the subscription.

I have dropped ESO Plus twice over the years because ZOS prior performance did not justify the renewal. When ZOS satisfactorily addressed those things, by my measure, I restarted my subscription. The first time was over uncontrolled botting in the game, and I did not return to the game until they addressed that. The second time, I played without ESO Plus for a while.

This year? I don't like how they are jerking around people who use add-ons to collect information about guild trader sales history. During the summer, I am lucky if I can average an hour every day, and MM cannot even retrieve 1 day of sales history in that amount of time. They have no announced plans to change this, apparently U24 does nothing for this, and I guess they are happy with the way things are. I have time to decide, but if pressed to renew today, I would not.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • wrath_of_erana
    wrath_of_erana
    ✭✭✭
    lol do any of you really think matt or any of his cronies give a *** about anything but the crown store?
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    high ping in PUG dungeons 300-600+ ms. PC EU. Started yesterday.
  • DarkDeal
    DarkDeal
    ✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

It's because u play from Oblivion >:)
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkDeal wrote: »

Or rather, the server is located in Oblivion. Or in Germany, which is the EU equivalent of Oblivion when it comes to internet connection. I still can't fathom why so many companies set their servers there, with the abysmal quality of their lines. Almost any other place in Europe would be better. Are servers this dirt cheap in Germany to justify using one of the worst internet a company could get ?
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    DarkDeal wrote: »

Or rather, the server is located in Oblivion. Or in Germany, which is the EU equivalent of Oblivion when it comes to internet connection. I still can't fathom why so many companies set their servers there, with the abysmal quality of their lines. Almost any other place in Europe would be better. Are servers this dirt cheap in Germany to justify using one of the worst internet a company could get ?

Because Germany (in this case Frankfurt) still houses Europe's biggest internet exchange (DECIX). Interconnectivity is key in server housing. And please don't mistake your poor customer ISP quality with commercial ISP connectivity. If the ping rate is lousy then it's usually because the companies don't want to pay for better service, this won't be different in any other city/country.
  • Sirvandal
    Sirvandal
    ✭✭✭
    So when will the EU server be fixed? With each update its just the EU server that gets rekt...do paying EU players not count in the bizznizz model?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did everyone really think Matt meant when he said they were "killing it"?
  • DrOuttaSight
    DrOuttaSight
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could play the game offline, (a choice) as well as online. :O)
    Forums are for........... venting/letting off steam
    Feed the needy Not the greedy
    In Virtual Space No One Can Hear You Scream!!!

PC EU Clockwork Server
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sirvandal wrote: »
    So when will the EU server be fixed? With each update its just the EU server that gets rekt...do paying EU players not count in the bizznizz model?

It will happen the day ZOS change their model back to sub-based and they need to keep players subscribing monthly. As it is, all they need is a handful of whales buying enough clowns to keep the lights on. But since I believe there isn't a chance in hell ZOS will go back to a sub model... this is what we have, and will have, for the foreseeable future.
  • PekkaPe
    PekkaPe
    ✭✭
    The login problems just came back now.
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    PekkaPe wrote: »
    The login problems just came back now.

+1, just like last night ! All was fine, then i went into a delve in SE, endless loading screen and various error trying to log back after killing the session :(
  • befriendlyordie
    befriendlyordie
    ✭✭✭
    oDrReXo.png

And this says it all...........
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're "killing it" indeed.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oDrReXo.png

That is not the first time that banner has appeared this week. So no, it does not say it all.
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just login problems, firstly I had 10 min loadscreen while changing zone and now in dungeon I have 400-700 ping and cant do mechanics (in Falkreath) because of that.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oDrReXo.png

It says one thing and means:

"We are praying that enough EU players quit and the server can cope with the 20% remaining, we are not investigating or fixing anything!"
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • SkyMagpie
    SkyMagpie
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people on this thread pointed out that crashing and being unable to log in aren't the only problems.

Infinite loading screens or just 15 min loading screens, 700+ ping in dungeons making it impossible to finish vet content, overall lag is just few of the things happening to EU since Sunday (20.10.) and I haven't seen anyone address this problem. At least tell us if this is worked on or something. :(
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    "We are praying that enough EU players quit and the server can cope with the 20% remaining, we are not investigating or fixing anything!"

this
    I don't think they fix anything. They just hope some players will quit, so server load will drop.

And yeah - everytime you see threads like "ESO losing popularity" you must know that this is a superior BS.
  • nwilliams2107b16_ESO
    nwilliams2107b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, the state of the servers is beyond a joke! I would love to actually play the game i'm paying monthly for, the last 2 days have managed to log in once, keep getting Error 200 message. Fix the servers for gods sake!!
  • KoultouraS
    KoultouraS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, the state of the servers is beyond a joke! I would love to actually play the game i'm paying monthly for, the last 2 days have managed to log in once, keep getting Error 200 message. Fix the servers for gods sake!!

Erm... no!
    On another note, would you like some crowns?
    Edited by KoultouraS on October 23, 2019 8:02PM