Update 24 and the Dragonhold DLC Game Pack are both now available for testing on the PTS! Experience the amazing conclusion to the Season of the Dragon saga. You can read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493609/ 

EU Server Performance - Update from Matt Firor

• wavingblue
    wavingblue
    ✭✭✭
    And a free play weekend! So with load issues heavily present lets kick off an influx of new players, because reasons. FYI I get 33ms pings to the American server on iRacing... about 110 to Europe. For ESO its normally 80ish roaming and 110+ when doing things.
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror hey Matt, take a cup of coffee, sit in front of computer and just read last 10 pages of this thread. Thank you!
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? They can split them and allow one-time account transfer. People who are satisfied with current performance or can't transfer as entire guild can remain on current server. People and guilds for whom "game is unplayable" move to new server. Everyone is happy, problem solved. There will be some mess and drama with separation of guilds, but better start a new with good performance then struggle with lag and crashes.

There are a myriad of different ways to do MMO servers, and honestly, which one is used is more personal preference regarding features. A major advantage of a megaserver over multiple discrete servers in a geography is that I don't have to care what server I am on. I find that annoying in other MMO games. I should not have to care what server I am on relative to my friends, and I should never have to realize I picked wrong. ESO would be better if they had one megaserver for both EU and NA, but that is a technology challenge well above what we have today.

The problem we have is not the megaserver idea, or the fact that there are only two per platform. (Unless you in Asia or down under... but that is a different story) The problem is that they really only made their server capable of handling a certain number of players before it could no longer scale, and we are above that number of players. Short sighted? Too focused on what is currently needed vs what will be needed? Dunno. Anyway, this is a combination of the success of the game, and probably also due to gradual decline in the number of players that the game can actually support.

When software performance is the limitation, throwing hardware at the problem only makes for a lot of hardware sitting around. If the software can only handle X player transactions per second, it does not matter that they are running on hardware that can handle twice that much. In this case, doubling the hardware performance does not double software performance. The diminishing returns means that, eventually, a hardware performance cap is hit It is no longer feasible to double the hardware performance in order to squeeze out a fractional improvement in the software performance.

Properly implemented, the megaserver should perform very well for the type of game that ZOS is running.

This is spot on, I think. I tried to get an idea of what megaservers are and came onto clustered computing, which was described as having large overhead for lots of equipment, challenges in maintaining it and as you mentioned, difficulty in scaling it due to the previous two. If it's anything like parallel programming, then it's almost impossible to predict it's behavior... kinda of like trying to predict how an exponential function will behave, given an input.

Even though I probably don't know what I'm looking at (lambda calculus?), I checked out some papers and found something that suggests that 'high-dimensional' data inputs - or those with many potential outcomes - would lead to unpredictable, or nonreproducible results. So, they padded the input with some predictions of what they expected some of the inputs to be, and got more reliable outputs. Which, I guess was an answer to something a lot of clustering algorithms struggle with.

I thought it was interesting to at least see the kind of work they need to do to run this game, and it's nothing to sneeze at. This article walks through choosing settings for a clustering algorithm, which I assume ZoS has had to do, or has been trying to optimize when setting up or attempting to optimize these servers. As a side note, I imagine it's hard to find people that are willing to do this kind of stuff.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/7/e1500163.full

Also, I don't know if ZoS equipment would comparable to this, or possible even better, but here are some of the hardware specs for the clusters or 'megaservers' used by princeton for research.

https://researchcomputing.princeton.edu/systems-and-services/available-systems
    Edited by ProbablePaul on August 31, 2019 12:42PM
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself." - George Bernard Shaw

Retired until performance issues are addressed.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The complete lack of communication or effort to figure out some improvements is now causing PvP to die off.

Remember when a year ago you tried to log into Cyro at prime time? (Queue position 90-250 for most of the evening)... Compare that to now. Hardly ever any faction is on pop lock on the most popular campaigns and that's just PC. I hear on XBox EU there are factions with 5-15 players max at prime time in 30day campaigns while the most populated alliance is on 2bars.

Congratulations ZOS. You killed PvP. Now the snowball is in effect and good luck getting any money off your players to actually invest in anything.

And your Free-To-Play event? Have you gone mad? Why would you entice new players to try out your product in such horrible state?

Amazing game, totally addicted but it has now become an absolute joke.

(Yes, yes, I know. PvE crowd is still gonna call PvPers a minority but for some of us PvP is all that we play the game for)
    PC - EU:
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Falathren - AD MagSorc
    F'lathren - AD StamDen
    Your'Mum - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD MagDK
    Valamae - EP MagPlar
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better switch to other mmo as performance wont get any better before Q2 2020.

FF14 is by far a better mmo, best main story an mmo can have and best performance on every single mmo available.

PvP isn't a thing in FF14 however as the game focus much on PvE. Still tournament are made and a ranking team group is also available (ESO sent have a 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 team pvp ranking or tournament)
    ZOS don't fix old bugs, they harbor them
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos uk had profits of 50+ million euros in 2017 and 40+ in 2016( dont have 2018 data) not to mention Zos France and Zos Germany, yet they cant fix the server... Get skilled people you clearly have the financial resources needed.

I know I am later here. Like the old saying, why fix something if it isn't broke?

For Zenimax why spend money to fix something if they are still getting the 20+ millions? So in the higher up eyes, nothing is broken and working as planned.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • commodore64
    commodore64
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't complain about the lack of comms here, they're probably stuck in a loading screen, just like us.
  • ThirdHorseman
    ThirdHorseman
    ✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »

FF14 is by far a better mmo, best main story an mmo can have and best performance on every single mmo available.

PvP isn't a thing in FF14 however as the game focus much on PvE. Still tournament are made and a ranking team group is also available (ESO sent have a 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 team pvp ranking or tournament)

You are on the wrong forum. You are looking for FF14 forum. Good luck and have fun. If you want to talk more about FF, please go to their subreddit and forum. Thank you
  • 888and888
    888and888
    ✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »

You are on the wrong forum. You are looking for FF14 forum. Good luck and have fun. If you want to talk more about FF, please go to their subreddit and forum. Thank you

I think it will be quite cool if they set up a sub forum here, actually, named “Alternatives to ESO”.
    It would cost way less than fix the performance.
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey they can fix it by making all the grumbling dirty elite endgamers quit by nerfing damage and.............shazzam! Less ppl on the servers! Lol, they got their money out of them, who needs them anymore! Hahahahahahaha