The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Heimpai wrote: »
    How important is race on a magplar? Mine is a nord but was wondering if it's worth race changing to dunmer/breton?

I normally don't have sustain issues and sit at 26k health/34k mag/1700 mag regen and spell dmg is 4.6-5k fully buffed.. 32-30k resists in light

For pvp Nord is a solid choice, I wouldn’t change it.

If you change it from Nord you’ll feel a lot squishier which is a magtemplar weakness. Both of the races you mentioned would be a downgrade, with Breton only really being good as a pvp healer.

Altmer, Nord or Argonians are probably the best. On a nord use a damage/sustain monster set, on an Altmer use a defensive monster set or 2 1 piece armour pieces, on an argonian use clever alchemist and pot reduction cooldown jewellery. The end result is pretty close.

Thats gonna be a no from me dawg

I have both a High Elf and Breton. I would defintiley not say Breton is healer only and bottom tier.

Depends on how you build your character and if you account for your racial passives.

For example in no-CP pvp I play an Altmer using NMA + BTB with 10k stamina and do fine with mist. If you tried that on a Breton you’d have a really bad time.

If you’re using the same gear on both characters you’ll think Breton is better, but they if you strip out stamina sustain from an Altmer you’ll hit a lot harder.

With the upcoming patch Nord will be a really good choice because the Kena monster set will be so good. Same principal, if you don’t use the extra tankiness your race gives you then you won’t see a benefit. If you go Nord and use no defensive set you’ll hit like a truck.

It’s also true for argonian. If you don’t strip sustain to take advantage of your extra sustain from the potion passive then you’ll feel underpowered.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 15, 2020 3:56PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How important is race on a magplar? Mine is a nord but was wondering if it's worth race changing to dunmer/breton?

I normally don't have sustain issues and sit at 26k health/34k mag/1700 mag regen and spell dmg is 4.6-5k fully buffed.. 32-30k resists in light

High elf.

Best damage and stam sustain mag race, which is what a templars all about imo. Anyone saying you need to be tanky is crazy. Good blocking, smart playing, and keeping up buffs makes using light armor damage/ sustain sets the most fun way to play imo. Be aggressive.

Nord is outstanding too. Just play with the strengths and cover your weaknesses. It looks like you did that just fine if you're really at those stats without cheesing tooltips.

• Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

High elf.

Best damage and stam sustain mag race, which is what a templars all about imo. Anyone saying you need to be tanky is crazy. Good blocking, smart playing, and keeping up buffs makes using light armor damage/ sustain sets the most fun way to play imo. Be aggressive.

Nord is outstanding too. Just play with the strengths and cover your weaknesses. It looks like you did that just fine if you're really at those stats without cheesing tooltips.

It's with continuous up, I also don't have undaunted lvl'd. Is weap/spell dmg enchant better on main bar or back?
    Edited by Heimpai on February 15, 2020 5:57PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

High elf.

It's with continuous up, I also don't have undaunted lvl'd. Is weap/spell dmg enchant better on main bar or back?

Back, fb lightning
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people with resto back bar for pvp non healer build? Considering giving it a bash for the strong HoTs
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Many people with resto back bar for pvp non healer build? Considering giving it a bash for the strong HoTs

Definitely worth it. S&B is good for dueling but I think it’s uncompetitive in places like BGs or small scale. Use radiating regen though, rapid regen sucks if other players are around.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 17, 2020 6:49PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭

For BGs it's unmatched. SnB just can't give you the utility a resto staff can, plus it gives us access to major mending via a resto heavy. We get minor mending already through our passives, so to me, outside specific 1v1 circumstances, a backbar resto is just better.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm ok cheers, may have to mix my build up a bit to allow for it.
    Havnt settled on a sweet spot between damage and defense since I came back on
    Edited by Syiccal on February 17, 2020 7:02PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Resto back bar is nice in bgs and open world. Rapid regen can be good (if it hits you) and cheap enough to recast once without much issue, and resto ult is also nice in a pinch.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest there’s really no must have for a resto, the only thing I can think of that’s really nice for a magplar is the resto pull which isn’t really needed either. Templar already has enough healing and sustain options. Can go either way really.

In actual 1vx it’s snb that’s going to take you to the next level in my opinion. You’ll survive things that you just wouldn’t with anything else slotted. My highest kill counts have always came when I had snb equipped.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always player s/b or ice staff on the back. Resto back bar is uncharted waters for me
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest there’s really no must have for a resto, the only thing I can think of that’s really nice for a magplar is the resto pull which isn’t really needed either. Templar already has enough healing and sustain options. Can go either way really.

In actual 1vx it’s snb that’s going to take you to the next level in my opinion. You’ll survive things that you just wouldn’t with anything else slotted. My highest kill counts have always came when I had snb equipped.

Radiating regen for BGs is great, probably almost as good as rapid regen. Rapid regen heals for more, but you also need to cast it more often. I use radiating regen like a buff.

I’ve been trying to pay attention to other magplar’s performance and stuff in BGs, tbh most Magplars don’t perform well at all, especially the ones I see with S&B. Your survivability is a ton better yea, but it’s the output that looks poor to me.

It makes sense though too. In BGs the people who come in with 1vX builds usually get rolled hard anyways, it’s a different meta.

Resto better sustain lets you add more offensive stats too.

When I try to solo cyrodiil I hit my limit at 3 people, S&B might be a big reason. I’m way too glassy using a resto to fight multiple people at once. It’s probably a good idea to level both S&B and resto and switch it up depending on the setting thinking about it.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 18, 2020 1:21PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just my experience soloing in bgs. But I've found the majority of players focus on self-healing over group healing. And while some players are talented, the majority get shredded. It's the groups that support each other, that tend to win games. A stun to the enemy so he can't finish off your teammate. A burst heal to a player that is being focused. And group healing / hots for all.

Pre-mades until now have always supported one another. But with upcoming bgs being solo que only, running a resto staff for radiating regen seems a no brainer. I'd be thrilled if at least one other teammate did this with me the entire match.
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    Think of it this way, and I've 1vx'd in both np and no-cp using both SnB and Resto backbars, although my main jam happens to be BGs.

Running SnB lets you skimp out on defensive stats, because your backbar is essentially your defensive set. Resto allows you to skimp out on sustain. SnB is more selfish, Resto more utility. In Battlegrounds having more utility to your group is obviously much more valuable, in solo situations being able to handle yourself is much more valuable. Resto also tends to be much less time on your backbar, and the more time you spend on your frontbar, the better.

It's a question of situation, playstyle, and what your build is and what its weakness happens to be. There's no wrong answer. The best thing about ESO is all the different combinations one can try out, and magplar is super versatile when it comes to the sheer amount of builds that can be viable. It all comes down to math, so when choosing between relatively minute details like a resto backbar or an SnB backbar, you gotta crunch your own numbers and figure in your own tendencies to arrive at the answer that's specific to you.

I tend to run 2H/Resto and that maximizes both damage and healing output for a melee magicka templar. Major Mending from a resto heavy attack lets me cast regen/ritual and I switch back to my frontbar. I'm not a fan of extended runs block casting Honor the Dead, as that tends to just elongate already lost fights. Some people are better at inviting pressure using this tactic, but most decent players won't go ham on a blockspamming templar anyway. That being said, a ton of potatoes will do just that, allowing for an easy 1vX situation.

tl;dr: just try different things out and see how you perform in different situations. it's a much more effective method at figuring out what you should be doing then listening to a bunch of players (good as we may be) touting their own personal playstyles.
    Edited by Nirnroot420 on February 18, 2020 5:14AM
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nvm
    Edited by Trancestor on February 18, 2020 6:45AM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone still use living dark, worth using ?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone still use living dark, worth using ?

It’s decent if you can find space. I’m planning on using it again after the patch.

I took the other morph to lock down sorcs at range so I can close, but am planning on switching back to the self one post patch to up my self healing.

Duration of the ability being stupid short is the only issue. I’m used to warden with trellis with a decent duration.

I kite a lot too, I’ll miss the snare from ritual and think I’ll need dark to compensate. Depending on your playstyle if you like to kite like me instead of block cast it’ll be almost mandatory.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 19, 2020 6:33PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Just my experience soloing in bgs. But I've found the majority of players focus on self-healing over group healing. And while some players are talented, the majority get shredded. It's the groups that support each other, that tend to win games. A stun to the enemy so he can't finish off your teammate. A burst heal to a player that is being focused. And group healing / hots for all.

Pre-mades until now have always supported one another. But with upcoming bgs being solo que only, running a resto staff for radiating regen seems a no brainer. I'd be thrilled if at least one other teammate did this with me the entire match.

I was in a game yesterday on my stamplar put out 1mill damage and 300k healing with just ritual alone. So a magplar with ritual, bol and rapid regen is pretty much overkill.

The other team had two people that played how you suggested, they both had plus 1mill in healing. While one other person had like 200-300k. They still didn’t win, was close but nonetheless they took the L.

High mmr games are naturally filled with tons of off healing. 300k with just ritual is ridiculous btw.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was in a game yesterday on my stamplar put out 1mill damage and 300k healing with just ritual alone. So a magplar with ritual, bol and rapid regen is pretty much overkill.

The other team had two people that played how you suggested, they both had plus 1mill in healing. While one other person had like 200-300k. They still didn’t win, was close but nonetheless they took the L.

High mmr games are naturally filled with tons of off healing. 300k with just ritual is ridiculous btw.

To hit 1 million healing they were healers. We’re not saying to play as a straight healer (though you can if the game warrants it) but to use radiating regen and focus on damage.

I’ve broken 1 million healing with how I play only once and it was a low MMR game where my team wasn’t healing themselves so if I didn’t we’d have lost. Typical for me is 500k damage and 500k healing with lots of killing blows.

A magplar also won’t hit 300k healing with just ritual, stam have higher tooltips because of higher stats than mag.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 20, 2020 12:43PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To hit 1 million healing they were healers. We’re not saying to play as a straight healer (though you can if the game warrants it) but to use radiating regen and focus on damage.

I’ve broken 1 million healing with how I play only once and it was a low MMR game where my team wasn’t healing themselves so if I didn’t we’d have lost. Typical for me is 500k damage and 500k healing with lots of killing blows.

A magplar also won’t hit 300k healing with just ritual, stam have higher tooltips because of higher stats than mag.

A magplar can hit 300k with just ritual too, all about positioning and a good Templar keeping their ritual down.

They hit one mill because they were wardens and it’s high mmr where people stay alive longer than they should + it’s more damage going out. If I’m putting out 300k with just ritual, it’s not hard to imagine wardens easily hitting one mill. It’s actually pretty common for wardens to put up a ton of damage and off healing. And only one of them is a true dedicated healer who I’ve seen put up 3mill healing.

Anyways, my point is it’s overkill because in high mmr there’s heals going around like crazy. We barely finished the game (went to the last minute) and if my team had a dedicated healer we wouldn’t have. So feel free to run it but it’s definitely not needed.

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deadly on stamplar yes or no
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh damn, did you guys know that not only is Templar losing the snare from ritual but total dark’s snare will be going down to 7m range?

That will suck big time, the only snare will be sweeps and kiting will be a hell of a lot harder.

I was also reading that a medium/heavy attack will no longer consume off balance. That’s a huge damage buff on off balance from CPs.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 21, 2020 1:11AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh damn, did you guys know that not only is Templar losing the snare from ritual but total dark’s snare will be going down to 7m range?

That will suck big time, the only snare will be sweeps and kiting will be a hell of a lot harder.

I was also reading that a medium/heavy attack will no longer consume off balance. That’s a huge damage buff on off balance from CPs.

How do you know this? Where is it posted on the forums?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

PTS Forums, 5.3 changes.

I’m wondering if it’ll be worth going up to 75 in thaumaturge for exploiter... that’ll be a huge CP sink.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 21, 2020 2:38AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PTS Forums, 5.3 changes.

I’m wondering if it’ll be worth going up to 75 in thaumaturge for exploiter... that’ll be a huge CP sink.

Really long cool down on off balance though. 75 points in thaum for 7 seconds of 10% damage boost then 15 second cool down.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PTS Forums, 5.3 changes.

Thanks. They should have listed that under Templar abilities. Easy to miss. But what on earth are they doing about a Templar's ability to disengage from a fight. Quite silly. I honestly wish Wroebel was back. Have not enjoyed the direction combat has been taking under Wheeler and what's his name, the rougue guy. They are kinda disappointing as developers.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

PTS Forums, 5.3 changes.

Thanks. They should have listed that under Templar abilities. Easy to miss. But what on earth are they doing about a Templar's ability to disengage from a fight. Quite silly. I honestly wish Wroebel was back. Have not enjoyed the direction combat has been taking under Wheeler and what's his name, the rougue guy. They are kinda disappointing as developers.

Well I looked and tried to see all the changes since they’re split up in different sections:
    - off balance lasts 7 seconds and can’t be reapplied for 15 seconds once it expires
    - Off balance won’t be consumed on a medium or heavy attack
    - off balance can no longer be cleansed or removed in any way
    - Off balance exploiter passive is 75 points into the stamina tree for 10% more damage, only mag CP spend in that tree is extra dot damage

That’s a net even for Templars I think, someone said Templars are a dot class? News to me, a 10% damage buff from exploiter after toppling could be good, I’m not sure if it’s worth it though, I’ve been using no dots.

The snare removal from the Templar Arsenal is more concerning. It seems like they’ve been slowly stripping away expedition and snares from mag (came from magblade who lost all class major expedition sources). If the direction is stam are meant to be faster and the aggressor and mag have no means of escape, then yea that’s BS. I don’t like the dizzy snare change at all.

Basicly with dizzy you’re going to be eating either a snare or extra damage and possible stun. They added block mitigation for Templars, maybe they want all S&B and Templars to go more tanky.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 21, 2020 3:55AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a question for my stampla in no-CPr: I'm using Hunding + Bone Pirate 5 medium 2 heavy (2h + Bow) and I seem to be forever craving stamina!!

Do you think I could dare dropping BP/Hunding for fury/NMA and moving to 5 Heavy? I'm afraid that I'm going to struggle to sustain even more.
    thank for any suggestion
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on February 21, 2020 6:13PM
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    a question for my stampla in no-CPr: I'm using Hunding + Bone Pirate 5 medium 2 heavy (2h + Bow) and I seem to be forever craving stamina!!

Do you think I could dare dropping BP/Hunding for fury/NMA and moving to 5 Heavy? I'm afraid that I'm going to struggle to sustain even more.
    thank for any suggestion

Could try 1 or the other first to see how you sustain 1 of them before doing both..Or you could always get Fury weapons/jewelry and nma medium
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

thank for any suggestion

On my stamden in no cp I use bone pirate, new moon acolyte (3 body + front bar weapons) and 2 potentates back bar sword and shield with blood spawn. Orc with one recovery glyph and two damage glyphs + warrior mundus + dubious camoran drink, 5-1-1 medium.

I feel like for stamplar you should be able to get similar recovery as I do, about 1700 + Netch and netch should be about the same as you get from Rune. That should be enough to be successful but you may swap one damage glyph for either a recovery or cost reduction enchant as well as spring loaded infusion drink if you need more magicka for ritual.

I don’t have much experience with stamplar so I don’t know exactly how it compares to stamden in this scenario.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube