The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. First off, we apologize for the lack of communication regarding your concerns in this thread. We do appreciate everyone posting all the information, which has been very helpful. We wanted to let you know that our network engineering team has been looking into this, and we hope to have some updates for you all soon.

We're waiting for your updates. What is the outcome and cause?
    We've been suffering for a month or more... I think we should have an update why this happened at the very least.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. First off, we apologize for the lack of communication regarding your concerns in this thread. We do appreciate everyone posting all the information, which has been very helpful. We wanted to let you know that our network engineering team has been looking into this, and we hope to have some updates for you all soon.

Isnt that the same copy and paste response to the clockwork city lag issues, which never got resolved?

Will believe it when the ping is below 210 where your competition can easily maintain without the use of a 3rd party subscription to use a vpn.
    Edited by Bhaal5 on September 6, 2019 1:25AM
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can other people check this today? On a brief test this morning, my ping is down to between 305 and 315, from 400ish which it was a couple of days ago. Is it just me, or can others verify? Looks like they may already be testing fixes.
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your net is just having a good day
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back to high 390's - low 400's. :(
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    x
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i tried switching to EU server for sh*ts and giggles the other day.

now, realising that none of my crown purchases carried across aside... i grinded up a character to L20.. and the whole time i was averaging 250'ish ping from Perth.

this was fairly stable with a few random spikes that shot it to 290, but on average 255 was about the norm. still a good 30-40ms off NA. didn't try mudfishing it.. but wasn't sure if i should as mud nodes were reporting higher latency than my normal connection was.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Thanks for the reply I guess, but I think your network engineering team have known for awhile about this issue.

Swag10/29/2018
    @Trevor can you like talk to finn about this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300/p5

Swag11/16/2018 @Trevor did finn say anything more about that oceanic routing/latency thread cause this is so stupid even with a vpn some days its fine other days its so unstable
    Trevor11/17/2018 And no @Swag he just said he passed it on to the appropriate people

@trevor is Foxic and he is refering to the Council of Raiders chat, when he let finn know way back in late October last year.

[/quote]

Wow, so they were actively engaged all that time ago ... but thought about it and and decided we just didn't count enough?
    swaggasm wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Thanks for the reply I guess, but I think your network engineering team have known for awhile about this issue.

Swag10/29/2018
    @Trevor can you like talk to finn about this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300/p5

Swag11/16/2018 @Trevor did finn say anything more about that oceanic routing/latency thread cause this is so stupid even with a vpn some days its fine other days its so unstable
    Trevor11/17/2018 And no @Swag he just said he passed it on to the appropriate people

@trevor is Foxic and he is refering to the Council of Raiders chat, when he let finn know way back in late October last year.

Wow. So they were told about it all that time ago. Acknowledged it. Started looking into it ... and then somehow decided it wasn't worth following up ... until a year later it became a real problem they needed to address?
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    My net must be having an amazing day. With very occasional random spikes up around 600, it actually stayed below 300 for the first time since as long as I can remember. only 290ish, but still, no tunnelling service, and my ping was in the white rather than the red!
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to play without a vpn today, still 450+

300 with vpn.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer really simple boys and girls.
    Would you keep going back to a cafe that burns its coffee an only half fillings your drink?

Until zos can provide what their competitors can... Dont turn the game on, dont spend another dollar in eso, cancel that eso+.

Until they can provide a ping that consistently sits arpund 220 without a vpn
    Edited by Bhaal5 on September 6, 2019 9:47PM
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the following is not the case for everyone after asking some other Aussies.

I have spent a good hour roughly since i got online just watching my own latency sit at 290-330 from Melbourne. No VPN. I have seen 400+ latency like others here for many months. It is shocking to see.

Pingplotter is also showing a much better and similar route to what was used prior to the latency increase some months back. Back to 11 hops instead of 21 for me. The latency amount is also what i had many months back. I used wireshark to obtain the IP addresses in use while in game. The IP address supplied by ZOS for testing has not been representing actual connection since not long after Gina's message. All IP addresses have been fiddled a few times since then. I saw the new connection in Pingplotter and logged in pretty fast to confirm my own connection is now good.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    Would you keep going back to a cafe that burns its coffee an only half fillings your drink?

Until zos can provide what their competitors can... Dont turn the game on, dont spend another dollar in eso, cancel that eso+.

Well, it was never consistently 220 ms in my experience, so I think - whilst that would be great - it's possibly unrealistic. But if Zenimax can return service back to a reliable average of ~260 ms (240 - 280) latency that was experienced for the first couple of years, then yes, I would more than likely definitely return and subscribe again.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Well, it was never consistently 220 ms in my experience, so I think - whilst that would be great - it's possibly unrealistic. But if Zenimax can return service back to a reliable average of ~260 ms (240 - 280) latency that was experienced for the first couple of years, then yes, I would more than likely definitely return and subscribe again.

As i said... Their competition can easily do it.. So zenimax has zero excuse to provide as sub par experience. Only thing thats keeping them doing it is the ones silly enough to keep supporting them.
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    I tentatively report a ping of 200 (even saw some white numbers with Mudfish) in no-cp prime time Cyrodiil and IC today. This time last week consistently 480-500.

Dares
    To
    Hope...
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

43 bloody pages Gina. That simply isn’t good enough for an issue as big as this.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

240 - 280 is what I was getting from Melbourne early on. It's playable for me given I don't do the high end end game stuff. If Akamai gets fixed or better yet removed and ZOS's performance tuning works we could see an Antipodean revival.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • LINCARD1000
    LINCARD1000
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, something appears to have changed in the past day or two. My ping here in NZ is back down to what it normally used to be (barring the odd up and down that you normally get), but averaging around the 260 or so mark.

So long may it reign - thank you if it's something Zeni has organised with Akamai. Here's hoping it sticks!

- LINC
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping has surprisingly been in the early 300s this past weekend which is a definite improvement over the 400+ I've been getting, but that's still 50-100 over what it used to be.

If it's because of ZOS testing and fixing things, I appreciate it and hope it continues!
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, with a rare venture down to 240 in CP PVP 30 day campaign, mine has been sitting in the low 300s for the first time in years over the last few days. Looks like they are testing fixes.
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah mine stayed solid today, 300 in CP Cyro and 260 in CP IC
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • DoobZ69
    DoobZ69
    ✭✭✭✭
    just gave it a try. getting 320-360 but didn't have any lag spikes in a questing pve zone. ~ 5-10 minutes
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been doing trials 90% lag free... what happened?

Edit: still cant do nhof cos lag
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on September 8, 2019 1:49PM
  • Tomokata
    Tomokata
    Soul Shriven
    I think the game should come with a warning to players outside of NA that they should expect high latency.
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    Took a few months off from this game here in East Asia; lag used to be 220-300ms, which was already worse than it was back ~2016. Logged back in the last few days to 500ms. No improvements from a quick look today.

Have done all manner of improvements on my end: port-forwarding, new router, got a new fibre optic line installed, spoke with my IP, etc.

Really hope the engineers are hard at work. Performance outside North America and Europe has been problematic for ages now. Paying full price for a game and getting a much worse experience because of the vagaries of networking is frustrating, as if support telling you it's probably your issue, not theirs.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No change for me, still hovering around 350ms. (From NZ)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »

https://www.exitlag.com/
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chris211 wrote: »

I use Mudfish, but there's no point quoting what I get with a VPN. That defeats the purpose of the thread, which is highlighting how bad the native ping is because of Akamai.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    chris211 wrote: »

I use Mudfish, but there's no point quoting what I get with a VPN. That defeats the purpose of the thread, which is highlighting how bad the native ping is because of Akamai.

I should add then for clarity, my posted ping was without a VPN :)
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to give everyone an update, we've been making some adjustments over the past week and have been seeing some improvements, though we're continuing to look for other ways to optimize. Thanks for all the ongoing information and patience!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.