The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to play without a vpn last night.
    280-320 from WA.
    Not ideal but quite playable. Basically back to what it was 2-3 months ago.
    Hopefully they keep working and get it down to the 250 range.
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am from Taiwan. It has been around 250 for me since launch and I had never imagined the ping issue would one day happen to me until these past weeks. It's now 300 at best with vpn and 500~1000 without it.

It's simply pathetic that a game and a studio that has been around for 5 years are still haunted by connection problems.
  • Wrexsoul
    Wrexsoul
    ✭✭✭
    I am from Taiwan. It has been around 250 for me since launch and I had never imagined the ping issue would one day happen to me until these past weeks. It's now 300 at best with vpn and 500~1000 without it.

It's simply pathetic that a game and a studio that has been around for 5 years are still haunted by connection problems.

I'm also currently playing from Taiwan and have been having the same experience. Went from 230-250 to 500-1000+. My ping in other games has not changed.
  • Frostystuff
    Frostystuff
    ✭✭
    East coast Australia ping 320 with vpn no significant fluctuations last few months (day to day fluctuations, spikes and disconnects are still present)
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    West coast Australia 350-390, with disconnects.
    Also getting multiple, extreme loading screens now, lasting for about a full minute.
    Tried /reloadui, and now I can't use the doors to leave the keep in Cyrodiil.
  • CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't played in months.
    Thought I'd check back after the ZOS respons(es).
    No change - why am I not surprised?
    *sigh*
    Edited by CH77 on September 23, 2019 9:58AM
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to crashin and laggin. Even when I’m alone just bummin around Craglorn’s main roads looking for silk the frame rate drops and stutters like crazy
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just finished off a vMA run last night. even with mud active, it was sitting around 320 at times (mostly 290'ish), but it was just unplayable and i burned out 100+ soul gems purely because of

- Lightning Stave not line of sight targeting and hence not firing on left click but LA or HA <- THIS is the worst one
    - Bar swaps not working (despite several clicks)
    - Ulti's not going off despite the button being mashed a dozen plus times
    - Being killed by damage from circles, but not actually being in the circle.
    - Dying from Poison DOT damage 5 seconds AFTER killing the Argonian Behemoth.
    - Dying from Flame Breath from the Crematorial Guards 3 seconds AFTER the guard is dead.

come on ZOS it never used to be so bad.. not only do we have to contend with you nerfing the only thing that kept us alive in there (the nerfmire HW change), but also having to contend with ridiculous amounts of bugs + coupled with lag. seriously move the vMA procs and rng/mechanics back to the client side, so we're not as dependent on the connection. its solo content for crying out loud.

we know why you did it (namely - those tards that were running around cyro with CE injected ult values and casting shooting star every half second a few years back), but surely you can separate procs for solo content and pvp/group?
    Edited by hamgatan on September 27, 2019 12:34AM
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the latest?
    Any good ping numbers with Mudfish?
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently in Japan on vacation, brought my laptop with me so I can do my writs at night. With the *** hotel wifi and a *** macbook pro I'm getting pings of less than 200. With express vpn on it drops to as low as 140.

Australia's really shouldn't be as bad as it has been lately.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    Currently in Japan on vacation, brought my laptop with me so I can do my writs at night. With the *** hotel wifi and a *** macbook pro I'm getting pings of less than 200. With express vpn on it drops to as low as 140.

Australia's really shouldn't be as bad as it has been lately.

What has improved in Aus?
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back to 290-330 without a vpn, from WA.
    Was actually fairly good on the weekend.
    Would love further improvement but atleast its playable atm.
  • Creeper
    Creeper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting better ping now but it could be better, my ping used to be around 250 to 300 without a VPN when I started playing ESO in December 2016 till July 2017 but something happened with the servers and I had been getting 600 ping without a VPN since then and I had to subscribe to a VPN to lower my ping to 250 with frequent spike to 317 to 350 ping. Now I'm getting 317 ping lowest without a VPN.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't gone lower than about 290 since Gina's update, it's usually in the low 300s. It's an improvement, but not as good as it used to be.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overnight there has been a dramatic change to the routing on my connection.

Pings to ESO have reduced from ~350 yesterday to ~250 today. A reduction of 100ms or roughly 30%.

Quite significant.

Still passing through Akamai Hong Kong but not being routed through Europe now.

There is still room for improvement, as being routed from New Zealand to the USA via Hong Kong is an indirect path, quite a detour in fact.

I'll be closely monitoring this change.

izeOWos.jpg
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    Overnight there has been a dramatic change to the routing on my connection.

Pings to ESO have reduced from ~350 yesterday to ~250 today. A reduction of 100ms or roughly 30%.

Quite significant.

Still passing through Akamai Hong Kong but not being routed through Europe now.

There is still room for improvement, as being routed from New Zealand to the USA via Hong Kong is an indirect path, quite a detour in fact.

I'll be closely monitoring this change.

izeOWos.jpg

Check a traceroute to 198.20.200.73 as well... The NA servers themselves only live in the .200.x block
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seri wrote: »

Check a traceroute to 198.20.200.73 as well... The NA servers themselves only live in the .200.x block

Done and a much better route across the Pacific.

FGCP0Lq.jpg
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    Tku ZOS. Long time since I have had Ping of 235 - 240 NZL
  • DeathPK
    DeathPK
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. First off, we apologize for the lack of communication regarding your concerns in this thread. We do appreciate everyone posting all the information, which has been very helpful. We wanted to let you know that our network engineering team has been looking into this, and we hope to have some updates for you all soon.

haven't they been looking into it for the past 4 years?
  • DoobZ69
    DoobZ69
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 steps back, 1 step forward, as always.
    Can confirm ping gets below 300 for the first time in 1 year.
    yesterday and every day for the last 3 weeks (daily login check) ping is a steady 320-360. Virtually the same since nerfmire
    Today the ping is sitting 280-320. What networking advice i took and performed from the "helpers" throughout this discussion? none. I just waited for ZOS to need my $$ again.
    ZOS broke the oceanic connections 1 year ago with release of nerfmire. they've ignored the issue until the middle of a 47th page of a discussion, which has spent time on the first page of the General Discussion forum on and off FOR A YEAR, and only commented after 40 pages when the possible 1 year contract with Akamai was due for renewal/renegotiation. Their excuses are blatantly glaring.

Repugnant and shameful actions by ZOS. They've spat in the direction of the oceanic community. They deserve nothing less than be stripped naked and walked around the Imperial city indefinitely. So let's start spending $ on their game again like nothing ever happened.

shame. And if i wanted to be an obvious imbecile I would also say SAD!
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    I caved in and due to the stat of ESO in AUS I started playing WOW classic with my son so that will keep me busy for a few months.
    I cancelled ESO plus but after reading these last posts here I thought I'll give it a go last night just to test and lo and behold my in-game latency hovered between 220-230 ms!!!
    I'll have to test with Mudfish to see if it can be further reduced, but looks like ZOS finally listened to us and did something about it.
    Too many games to play now though (also playing the new Destiny 2 on Steam) so may wait a bit more as "penance" but will definitely come back to ESO in the distant future.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I take it ZOS is no longer using Akamai for anti-DDoS filtering.

That's what appears to be after analysing my tracert above.

This is a good thing.

It will however, be some time before I have confidence that this issue has gone away for good.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • marke1
    marke1
    ✭✭✭
    Yes mine was 240 last night for the first time usually around 360 so hope it continues.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One eternity later...

Edit: aside from some FPS drops and stutters, seems to be generally smoother and abilities are actually firing somewhat reliably :) thanks ZoS!

Hopefully it continues to improve, +1 faith restored.
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on October 3, 2019 3:28AM
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping rural WA pc-na still 350++ without vpn.

With exit lag 300ish sometimes less.

In pvp can still reach 440 or more even with the vpn. I tried without vpn in pvp yesterday......380-500, didnt have the heart to try for long
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today getting consistently sub-300mS pings for the first time in over a year. I really hope that it's not "too good to last"...
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not4us wrote: »
    I caved in and due to the stat of ESO in AUS I started playing WOW classic with my son so that will keep me busy for a few months.
    I cancelled ESO plus but after reading these last posts here I thought I'll give it a go last night just to test and lo and behold my in-game latency hovered between 220-230 ms!!!
    I'll have to test with Mudfish to see if it can be further reduced, but looks like ZOS finally listened to us and did something about it.
    Too many games to play now though (also playing the new Destiny 2 on Steam) so may wait a bit more as "penance" but will definitely come back to ESO in the distant future.

The best I've seen full stop is 220 the other day in-game with Mudfish. I rarely run without it but I've never seen it that low otherwise.
    Edited by TheRealPotoroo on October 3, 2019 5:48AM
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • a_salty_pirate
    a_salty_pirate
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm, my ping was 450 just standing in Rawl'kha, I actually stopped playing for several months, unsubbed from ESO+ and everything because the game was literally unplayable with the lag.

Logged in after this and it's stable at around 290-310 ping for me now. PvPed most the night in the 30 day and had the least lag I've had in a lllllooonnnngggg time. I reupped my ESO+.

Still more work to be done though ZOS, lag spikes and latency on skills/bar swapping etc. is still a serious issue.
    Definitely not a spy.

PC NA - Formerly Xbox NA
    Toons:
    • Mchappy-Heal ~ PvE Magplar DPS/Heals (AD)
    • Bug-Breath ~ PvE Dragonknight Tank (EP)
    • Guilty-Of-Crime ~ PvE Stamblade DPS (AD)
    • Lil-Miss-Warmsnatch ~ PvE/PvP Magblade DPS (AD)
    • Make-Auridon-Great-Again ~ PvP Magsorc DPS (AD)
    • Geralt's Best Friend ~ PvP Stamwarden DPS (AD)
    • Baby Wings ~ PvP Stam DK DPS (AD)
    • Argonian-Leather-Salesman ~ PvP Mag DK DPS (AD)
    • Erects-Spine-For-Gold ~PvP MagWarden Healer (AD)
    • Shogun of the Salt ~ PvP MagNecro Healer/DPS (AD)
    • Borc the Stamplorc ~ PvP Stamplar DPS (AD)
    • Bawque the Stamsorc ~ PvP Stamsorc DPS (AD)
    • Bohk of Some Renown ~ PvP StamNecro DPS/Support (AD)
    • Boark the Half-Breton Orc ~ PvP Magplar Healer (AD)
  • kts
    kts
    ✭✭✭
    Fixed for me in New Zealand.

Was getting 350 - 400 and now it's at 190 - 210.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, what a difference two days makes! I got to log in today and my ping was as low as 224, so the problem seems to be fixed for me as well! Whatever's happened I am very thankful for it :)
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
This discussion has been closed.