The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy ***. A reply
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. First off, we apologize for the lack of communication regarding your concerns in this thread. We do appreciate everyone posting all the information, which has been very helpful. We wanted to let you know that our network engineering team has been looking into this, and we hope to have some updates for you all soon.

Thank you so much for the response and update!! Very much appreciated :)
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    so the standard is set at 43 pages
  • squinceybones
    squinceybones
    ✭✭✭
    ~1 page / 10 ping, maybe the forums are creating server lag.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. First off, we apologize for the lack of communication regarding your concerns in this thread. We do appreciate everyone posting all the information, which has been very helpful. We wanted to let you know that our network engineering team has been looking into this, and we hope to have some updates for you all soon.

ZOS_GinaBruno

Thank you for replying to our thread.

Please pardon me for being cynical. But your network team has been made aware of this issue through support tickets ( for just short of) 12 months now and has done nothing but deny it's ZOS's problem.

I have zero confidence on this latency issue being rectified.

I am however, willing to be proven wrong.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So nearly 1 full year and 43 pages of comments for a reply. Nice.
    Edited by Blinkin8r on September 3, 2019 8:35PM
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Better late than never is what I always say.
    Thanks for the reply @ZOS_GinaBruno, it's what we were asking for, acknowledgement and assurance that ZOS is aware of this and that they are trying to fix it.
    I don't "demand" a fix as I know things like this require very specific work, but the simple fact that the relevant people is aware and looking at fix it is comforting.
  • LINCARD1000
    LINCARD1000
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. For most of my time playing this game (from NZ) the ping to the NA servers has been stable at around 220 - 250. Quite reasonable for a connection to US based servers. But yeah, past few weeks it's been "stable" at around 400 - 450. This makes playing PvE... awkward. I don't PvP much at all but I can only imagine that it's virtually unplayable for those that do. It says a lot that connecting to the EU server with a stable 350 ping is a more pleasant experience and it's further away!

We don't expect an Oceanic server for the reasons Zeni have already outlined, but you're the only ones with clout with Akamai, not us. Quite a few of us are subscribers and have been since the game came out - please look into it seriously and not just fob us NZ/Oz players off with platitudes just because we don't have the larger numbers that your US/EU player base does.

Thank you.
    - LINC (ESO subscriber since the start, but beginning to question...)
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That has nothing to do with the Akamai problem we have been complaining about for over a year.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your reply after 12 months.

Please don't be sidetracked by other issues in this thread like unachievable requests for an Oceanic server. We could play with 220ms average ping. We cannot play with 450-500ms and above ping. The common denominator in the change is Akamai. Our ISP's say so. Our pingplots and traceroutes say so. Networking experts in this thread say so.

In future, ensure any third party contracts with DDoS providers are fit for purpose. Maybe even get the engineers to test them from SEA/Oceania for your non North American customers before signing. This would be basic QA in any global company.

I look forward to being able to play the game again soon. (trying to be positive here :D )
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for replying. Like others I've been playing with a VPN to the US to get around the Akamai routing problems.

With a VPN my latency is between 260ms and 320ms, without it it's over 400ms.

We know this problem is not your servers, or our ISP, it's the Akamai routing.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno holy crap.

Thanks for the update! :)

We all know it wont be fixed overnight, but i hope it wont be another 12 months for any news.

Im really happy to see that we have been noticed and it has somewhat restored a little faith in ZOS.

P.s. as its already been mentioned a few times, we dont want an OCE server, just fix the akamai routing please.
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to sos for the official response. I really hope something positive comes of it fast. Their track record isn’t great for timely action
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to get a response finally!

On another note, I'm been back down to 270 in cyro, 230 overland with Aussie Broadband so pretty happy!
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    No in game improvement for me at all!

The test from https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection is now different latency to what i get in game. Testing the IP address obtained from Wireshark while online shows the high latency connection i am on. Testing the IP address from that link is a bit of a tease now that it has changed.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    mrpaxman wrote: »
    No in game improvement for me at all!

The test from https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection is now different latency to what i get in game. Testing the IP address obtained from Wireshark while online shows the high latency connection i am on. Testing the IP address from that link is a bit of a tease now that it has changed.

Yeah mine is only because ABB tweaks effectively work like a VPN
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whilst my PC sits generally on about 290-310... i've been semi-accepting of that. XB1 till now though has been borderline unplayable for me though.. the lag (included with input lag) has been ridiculous

however...

i swear something has changed in this last update. it's no longer anywhere near as laggy on XB1. the framerate has jumped to an almost smooth/fluidic experience and graphically its a much much nicer experience. it's almost as if the game has finally realised im playing on an XB1X and is finally using the resouces as it should be.

what changed?
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • robbolicious
    robbolicious
    ✭✭
    “soon™️”
    Edited by robbolicious on September 4, 2019 5:52AM
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno!!!!!!!
  • LuckyLuke
    LuckyLuke
    ✭✭✭
    Sub renewal soon. This and other issues weigh heavy on my mind. It may be time to give it the ping again 😿
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy ***, can they actually fix this? I never expected to see them respond.
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    settle down everyone it will be another 43 pages before we get another response
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Something something we're working on communicating better.
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭

Is there any particular reason for that lack of communication? This thread has been on the 1st or 2nd page for months without a response. Obviously we've been making these observations for a long time.

For many, the creeps and jumps in ping have driven them away from the game as a regular pastime. As an anecdotal observation, the drop in players fighting dragons during the East coast Australian evening can't solely be attributed to time since launch of Elsweyr. Being randomly killed by dragon attacks that you should have time to see and react to is not fun after a while.

I would assume you have some internal measure of performance and how it's affecting gameplay. Was anything showing up on those metrics? Any online game is going to have a drop in performance the further you are from the server(s). As this thread has shown, we are willing to put up with something that's not optimal if it has enough other redeeming features. What does ZOS consider an acceptable ping? What is the maximum level used for internal testing? What conditions do you insist external suppliers meet?

Hopefully you can find a solution to using Akamai's nonsensical routing of traffic and provide us with some answers as to why this situation has been allowed to continue for as long as it has.
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the efforts of those who persevered in escalating tickets with solid info and refusing to be fobbed off, along with the multiple people unsubbing and telling people on the forums about it finally forced a response.

Strangely, they quietly removed my earlier post illustrating me unsubbing ... but the evidence is still there in quote posts. So that action, at least, forced some sort of response from them.
    Edited by Mirelurk on September 4, 2019 9:06AM
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zephiran23 wrote: »

Is there any particular reason for that lack of communication? This thread has been on the 1st or 2nd page for months without a response. Obviously we've been making these observations for a long time.

For many, the creeps and jumps in ping have driven them away from the game as a regular pastime. As an anecdotal observation, the drop in players fighting dragons during the East coast Australian evening can't solely be attributed to time since launch of Elsweyr. Being randomly killed by dragon attacks that you should have time to see and react to is not fun after a while.

I would assume you have some internal measure of performance and how it's affecting gameplay. Was anything showing up on those metrics? Any online game is going to have a drop in performance the further you are from the server(s). As this thread has shown, we are willing to put up with something that's not optimal if it has enough other redeeming features. What does ZOS consider an acceptable ping? What is the maximum level used for internal testing? What conditions do you insist external suppliers meet?

Hopefully you can find a solution to using Akamai's nonsensical routing of traffic and provide us with some answers as to why this situation has been allowed to continue for as long as it has.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their contract with Akamai is close to expiring and will be pending renewal.

So its the perfect time to speak up so they can opt not to keep them and take all the credit :p
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zephiran23 wrote: »

I wouldn’t be surprised if their contract with Akamai is close to expiring and will be pending renewal.

So its the perfect time to speak up so they can opt not to keep them and take all the credit :p

I'm thinking the same, but they still could have said something. Even a "we're aware of this issue, and sincerely apologise for the poor performance, but we're stuck in a contract with Akamai and can't do anything about it right now, though we will the moment our contract comes up for renewal" would have sufficed.

Though, you could say the same for so, so many things in this game. Even just acknowledgement and a simple explanation for the inactivity could go a long, long way.
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for finally looking into this, ZoS.

Even just a simple acknowledgement makes the world of difference!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • ArcaneBlue
    ArcaneBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Mirelurk wrote: »
    I'd say the efforts of those who persevered in escalating tickets with solid info and refusing to be fobbed off, along with the multiple people unsubbing and telling people on the forums about it finally forced a response.

Strangely, they quietly removed my earlier post illustrating me unsubbing ... but the evidence is still there in quote posts. So that action, at least, forced some sort of response from them.

they removed my reply post to you too in regards to unsubbing! heh
    I'm still not planning to resub tho

#teamEmeric
  • swaggasm
    swaggasm
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Thanks for the reply I guess, but I think your network engineering team have known for awhile about this issue.

Swag10/29/2018
    @Trevor can you like talk to finn about this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300/p5

Swag11/16/2018 @Trevor did finn say anything more about that oceanic routing/latency thread cause this is so stupid even with a vpn some days its fine other days its so unstable
    Trevor11/17/2018 And no @Swag he just said he passed it on to the appropriate people

@trevor is Foxic and he is refering to the Council of Raiders chat, when he let finn know way back in late October last year.

This discussion has been closed.