The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Dron
    Dron
    The game is dying, the servers are dying, the lag is completely insane.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It had been a month since I last PVP in Cyro.

Tried to capture an outpost and this happened...

fqI1xp0.jpg

Logged back in. And the first keep I approached, I got kicked from server again.

a8laaIK.jpg
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checking up on you guys with my annual "ESO Oceania" google search. I haven't played since 2017. Love this game. Quit because of lag in Cyro. W2b Oceania server. Until then, won't reinstall. (So prob never coming back *sigh*)

Keep fighting the good fight!
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any news on this? I don't care about proc set changings lowering server overhead if my connection to the server is butchered before it even gets there. Still sitting on a terrible ping and now I have weird lag related forced heavy attacks.
  • Lexcro
    Lexcro
    ✭✭
    I play from regional (country) Southern NSW Australia on PC NA.

I get about 220-260ms most of the time during peak and off peak times.

Connection is NBN 50 via wifi to my modem.

In my experience this is consistent with what I had 4 years ago playing ESO from Sydney and Canberra. Never really had an issue but I don't PVP much at all.

Thought I would chime in to give context.

People deserve to be treated with respect, even on the internet.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexcro wrote: »
    I play from regional (country) Southern NSW Australia on PC NA.

I get about 220-260ms most of the time during peak and off peak times.

Connection is NBN 50 via wifi to my modem.

In my experience this is consistent with what I had 4 years ago playing ESO from Sydney and Canberra. Never really had an issue but I don't PVP much at all.

Thought I would chime in to give context.

I'm somewhere around 230-280 also, which is also what i started with 3 years ago.. Im happy enough with this - someone either fixed or removed '***'-kamai
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged in yesterday, the first time in a few months, to see if there were any changes, however from NZ, I got 300-330ms ping. This is still 100ms more then we used to get before the changes last year.

I expect we are still being routed through Akamai in Sydney. TRACERT says we are.

9 55 ms 55 ms 55 ms po110.bs-b.sech-syd3.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.108.245]
    10 56 ms 56 ms 55 ms a72-52-1-147.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.147]
    11 66 ms 60 ms 55 ms ae121.access-a.sech-syd3.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.108.251]
    12 56 ms 56 ms 56 ms a72-52-63-146.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.146]

Shame there are no servers in Australia otherwise I'd get ~55 ping :) But yeah, that will never happen.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Rylisin
    Rylisin
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting a real itch to re download and finish up stuff i never got to complete before the ping went to high hell :( But seeing that its still an issue, guess I'm going to be waiting a long time for any positive changes to happen since ZOS seems to have forgotten about us.... again.
    PC | NA - NZ Player. Played since mid 2016, CP 1380+ An autistic, tired, coffee driven Kiwi. I draw a lot of fantasy and things.Cirion Adaine - Warden / Crafter | - Niryahil Adaine - NB healer - Ciara Ruhaerin - Nightblade something something, and a few alts for good measure.
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if they miss our $$$
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    250-300 Western Australia here. No vpn. Because that makes it worse imo.
  • Aquatorch
    Aquatorch
    ✭✭✭
    So many of the game's problems could be resolved ZOS would just work with a VPN provider to bypass Akamai...
  • Rylisin
    Rylisin
    ✭✭✭
    I bit the bullet and cautiously reinstalled. 330-380 still, but it's not lagging out as abysmally as it was in late 2018. Can kind of overland and talk to NPCs which was a nice surprise, but it's still garbage when I can connect to XIV servers in the US and get 150 - 180 consistently :# And this is from the East Coast on the South Island of NZ. So.... ZOS please get your crap together.
    PC | NA - NZ Player. Played since mid 2016, CP 1380+ An autistic, tired, coffee driven Kiwi. I draw a lot of fantasy and things.Cirion Adaine - Warden / Crafter | - Niryahil Adaine - NB healer - Ciara Ruhaerin - Nightblade something something, and a few alts for good measure.
  • droz8881
    droz8881
    I've just tested as well.
    on PC EU server - 340ms
    on PC NA server - 218ms

I'm in Aus. NBN FTTB. On Wifi. No VPN.
  • StevieKingslayer
    StevieKingslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NZ here, I run no VPN, Average 380-450 ping. :(
    It used to be a little better, but now *sigh*
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.
    Majin Stevie || Iothane || Nymphetamine
    PVP || PVE
    Player since beta.
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    NZ here, I run no VPN, Average 380-450 ping. :(
    It used to be a little better, but now *sigh*

You're running quite a bit higher than what should be expected. For you, I would recommend trying a VPN and see if it helps, Mudfish is probably the most cost effective to get up and running but the UI can be a little bit tricky for first tinme users. Its quite likely your ISP has some misguided routing happening....

My ping has largely stablised in Australia (I use to be on the forums as SirDopey but was given a new forum account when the forums were reset as I no longer had access to the original email account used). Most days and nights it hovers around 270-280 very rarely does it pop over 300 and when it does its only momentary.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • karliahquinn
    karliahquinn
    ✭✭✭
    NZ, PC EU, 320-380. Used to be 450 a few years back. Tried a VPN but didn't make a significant difference. Could get 250 on NA, but found that out after already establishing myself on EU for 3 years, so wasn't about to switch.
  • iarnold
    iarnold
    ✭✭
    Finally can talk to some fellow aussie/nz players! Love this game but had to stop coz of the lag. Forget about PvP content, even many vet dungeons and trials are impossible to play with latency over 350. Playing with gamers who don't understand the circumstances of Oceanic players can be tough. How can I get 80K DPS for vTrials if my latency is over 350 and the easy DPS builds keeps getting nerfed?? xDD

On a related note, could someone recommend any Aussie guilds on EU server to me? Not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't find any on reddit last I checked.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iarnold wrote: »
    Finally can talk to some fellow aussie/nz players! Love this game but had to stop coz of the lag. Forget about PvP content, even many vet dungeons and trials are impossible to play with latency over 350. Playing with gamers who don't understand the circumstances of Oceanic players can be tough. How can I get 80K DPS for vTrials if my latency is over 350 and the easy DPS builds keeps getting nerfed?? xDD

On a related note, could someone recommend any Aussie guilds on EU server to me? Not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't find any on reddit last I checked.

Use the NA server. Even from Perth the ping is a playable 250ms. You can def hit top DPS numbers in that ping.
  • iarnold
    iarnold
    ✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »
    iarnold wrote: »

Use the NA server. Even from Perth the ping is a playable 250ms. You can def hit top DPS numbers in that ping.

Haha, I get asked/told that a lot. Unfortunately, there's no way to transfer data between servers and I really don't wanna have to repurchase all the crown items and re-level all of my characters back to max >.<

I've learned to be careful when playing any other online games coz of this experience and pick NA servers for everything now...
  • rossk25
    rossk25
    ✭✭✭
    I’m in Aus and in same boat. back in 2016 when I started playing this game I started playing on the EU server. However for the longest time I was mostly playing solo content and just doing quests.
    But over the years I have spent plenty of money, time and effort on my characters. So it’s way too late for me to start up again on the NA server.

There should be an option to allow you to switch servers. At least once. Cause the lag on the EU server from Aus gets really bad.
    Bosmer Magicka Templar - Dest/Resto Staff [ex Stamina Templar - Bow/DW]
    Dunmer Magicka DK - Dest/Resto staff
    Breton Magicka NB - [Dest/DW PvE] [Dest/Resto PvP]
    Bosmer Stamina Warden - Bow/2H
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since they started routing us through Akamai in Sydney, my ping and latency from NZ increased to the point where I decided to play a different USA based server game where I get decent ping.

Having a responsive ping makes all the difference.

Alas, unfortunately ESO has failed in that area. It used to be a great game, now it's slow and unreliable. Such a shame.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epic thread necro !

I've been playing a bit of PVP lately -- oceania based ping is becoming unplayable - spiking 3000ms every few minutes.

Anyone else facing similar issues?
  • StevieKingslayer
    StevieKingslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epic thread necro !

I've been playing a bit of PVP lately -- oceania based ping is becoming unplayable - spiking 3000ms every few minutes.

Anyone else facing similar issues?

Yes. Same problems, Constantly.
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.
    Majin Stevie || Iothane || Nymphetamine
    PVP || PVE
    Player since beta.
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Used to have a ping of around 190-200ms from South Africa using old copper vdsl internet. Took a long break and now getting 240 to 280ms on fiber where I am getting a ping of around 160 to 180ms on other games based in europe. The lag in ESO sucks.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and given that some information may be out of date. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.