Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synozeer wrote: »

You're also one of the best players on PC NA :wink:

Thanks, but I wouldn't give myself that much credit. I just consider myself "consistent" :)

What’s your race. The issue I see happening is a competent stam player getting the jump on you and not being able to recover or you end up stuck on defense. Especially since your front bar is a staff.

Personally I would swap entropy with total dark. And remove toppling charge completely, it’s not needed.

Sorry, forgot to add that. I'm Argonian (I used to be High Elf).

Do you mean switch the positions of Total Dark and Entropy? I've considered it but I like having access to TD without needing to switch bars when going on the offensive. I usually start off on my shield bar and start out with an Entropy and Vamp Bane, then go to my destro bar and cast Total Dark when combat is starting.

As far as Toppling Charge goes, it will never leave my bar ;) I don't know how people play without it. The only answers I've heard from various non-gapclosing Magplars about what they do when a sorc streaks away or a stam player sprints, they say they let them go. That's not me, I'll Toppling Charge a sorc to the ends of the Earth. Toppling also gives you more maneuverability, letting you quickly gap close away from a large group to a single target when trying to avoid getting outnumbered. It's also an interrupt and another source of off-balance for the CP off balance 10% damage passive.

I survive almost all gank attempts (Xv1 ganking aside), and when not fighting I'm on my 1h/shield bar, so 28k health + more defenses and Riposte pad any damage and then one Honor the Dead and I'm back to almost full health. A dodge roll here also gives me time to recover from those brutal first stam assaults.

My magplar is high elf but I've been debating swapping to argonian. Is the damage, and max mag really not that much of a loss on the switch?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, but I wouldn't give myself that much credit. I just consider myself "consistent" :)

What’s your race. The issue I see happening is a competent stam player getting the jump on you and not being able to recover or you end up stuck on defense. Especially since your front bar is a staff.

Personally I would swap entropy with total dark. And remove toppling charge completely, it’s not needed.

Do you mean switch the positions of Total Dark and Entropy? I've considered it but I like having access to TD without needing to switch bars when going on the offensive. I usually start off on my shield bar and start out with an Entropy and Vamp Bane, then go to my destro bar and cast Total Dark when combat is starting.

As far as Toppling Charge goes, it will never leave my bar ;) I don't know how people play without it. The only answers I've heard from various non-gapclosing Magplars about what they do when a sorc streaks away or a stam player sprints, they say they let them go. That's not me, I'll Toppling Charge a sorc to the ends of the Earth. Toppling also gives you more maneuverability, letting you quickly gap close away from a large group to a single target when trying to avoid getting outnumbered. It's also an interrupt and another source of off-balance for the CP off balance 10% damage passive.

I survive almost all gank attempts (Xv1 ganking aside), and when not fighting I'm on my 1h/shield bar, so 28k health + more defenses and Riposte pad any damage and then one Honor the Dead and I'm back to almost full health. A dodge roll here also gives me time to recover from those brutal first stam assaults.

I meant swap them to get the buffs from entropy on your front bar. If you start off on your snb bar anyways it’s a non issue. Unless you’re trying to buff total dark with entropy.

• Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My magplar is high elf but I've been debating swapping to argonian. Is the damage, and max mag really not that much of a loss on the switch?

I don't notice a difference in damage and the sustain and survivability is much better.
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what i miss most about it. But having it use my magicka only to bug out and do no damage at all bc the target is simply moving with expedition or sometimes just moving away while there's a larger distance between us, made new take it off. Meanwhile, other gap closers are much more reliable.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atm I'm using 5 duroks 5 surge 2 Shadowrend Sword and board backbar and 5 surge 3 duroks and a willpower lightning staff frontbar.
    It's a brutal spec for 1v1.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »
    Unkillable does not equal effective

Effective at what? The game rewards AP to players who are physically present during fights and no preference is given towards players who carry their weight. Someone could run 1500 spelldam and mist form away every time someone tags them with damage and still get exactly the same rewards as everyone else.

"I'm getting AP, enemies are dying, I must be good at this game"

I carry my weight very well...

I will continuously provide my teammates with stacking HoT's, Breath of Life is ready to go on demand, and my Healing is excellent mainly due to my 56% Spell Crit...

I slot Replenishing Barrier on my Resto Bar so I can (combined with Combat Physician) keep giving out 0 power cost Shields throughout combat (without ever once having to expose myself to danger as I would have to with Ripostes)...

Even while Healing like this my defenses are always up due to the combo of Chudan (0 maintenance defense with this), Major Evasion being up about 50% of the time (and this is maintained with very little effort due to Spectre's Eye), and Radiant Magelight being on both bars (which adds utility as it provides allies in my proximity protection from the stun from Nightblade stealth attacks)...

And of course I can always set up opponents to be burst down by 1st using Purifying Light (which also Procs Combat Physician) and then following it up with Soul Assault...

Add it all up, and you got it all wrong...

I am able to carry my own weight (and then some) in all content...

It doesn't matter if I'm in a large group, small group, or solo...I can hold my own.

;)
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 4, 2018 12:35AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lightning destro bar (sharpened):
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Wall of Elements (used to run Radiant which also works well)
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

1h/shield bar (nirnhoned/sturdy):
    Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist
    Spell Wall/Devouring Swarm

I've actually never known a Magplar to play without Channeled Focus. But what I'm seeing here is very similar bars to mine.
    Offensive duel wield bar - Punc Sweeps, Toppling, Reflective Light, Radiant, Purifying Light, Soul Assault
    Defensive resto/destro bar - Total Dark, Extended, Mist, Chan Focus, Honor, Bats

Yes, for a Magplar do be successful, we need multiple dmg spells. You use 7 not including Utlis. I use 6.

I used to swap the Total Dark and Reflective light positions. It's pretty easy to light / heavy attack with a staff and Reflective light / Vamp Bane. And just a question, but what makes you choose Vamp Bane over Reflective light?

I am tempted to give the Lightning staff another go. I do have a Nirn Willpower staff in my bags. Wall of Elements would have to replace my Radiant as well. It's the only spell I can live without, though with the incoming buff....330% to 480% :)

I'll never give up Toppling. I've heard so many times on these forums that it bugs out, that it's unreliable. But I've never had a problem with it outside of lag. And that's not a problem with the skill. That's just lag. Ive landed so many kills with the stun from Toppling. And in group play, my teammates will often immediately hit the player that just got stunned. They are dead before they can get up. And I cannot count the number of times I've used it to escape from danger, too :)

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Effective at what? The game rewards AP to players who are physically present during fights and no preference is given towards players who carry their weight. Someone could run 1500 spelldam and mist form away every time someone tags them with damage and still get exactly the same rewards as everyone else.

I will continuously provide my teammates with stacking HoT's, Breath of Life is ready to go on demand, and my Healing is excellent mainly due to my 56% Spell Crit...

I slot Replenishing Barrier on my Resto Bar so I can (combined with Combat Physician) keep giving out 0 power cost Shields throughout combat (without ever once having to expose myself to danger as I would have to with Ripostes)...

Even while Healing like this my defenses are always up due to the combo of Chudan (0 maintenance defense with this), Major Evasion being up about 50% of the time (and this is maintained with very little effort due to Spectre's Eye), and Radiant Magelight being on both bars (which adds utility as it provides allies in my proximity protection from the stun from Nightblade stealth attacks)...

And of course I can always set up opponents to be burst down by 1st using Purifying Light (which also Procs Combat Physician) and then following it up with Soul Assault...

I hold am able to carry my own weight (and then some) in all content...

It doesn't matter if I'm in a large group, small group, or solo...i can hold my own.

;)

Not a fan of the Resto Ultimate?

It's kind of OP...
    Edited by brandonv516 on August 3, 2018 11:36PM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    @TheDoomsdayMonster stop talking, link a build and let me post a poll comparing what you run to what a meta Magplar looks like. Let the people decide

I cant figure out how to get a screen shot from my ps4 to here; I tried, but it won't accept it...

But it doesn't matter anyway as stats don't tell the whole tale...

Besides, you are 750 CP as am I...

My gear is fully Golded as is yours (Well my Neck is purple, but will soon be Gold)...

I am using a 5/5/2 set up with a Monster Helm as you do...

The way I see it, all we'd be debating which stats are the 'best' as the quantity of our stats would be equal in abundance...

And since what stats are 'best' are a function of the individual parts of your build and how you choose to play your character, what's 'best' is a matter of opinion, and isn't really debating material as a result...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hold am able to carry my own weight (and then some) in all content...

It doesn't matter if I'm in a large group, small group, or solo...i can hold my own.

;)

Not a fan of the Resto Ultimate?

It's kind of OP...

Resto Ult is very good; I think it's awesome...

But Replenishing Barrier is very good as well...

Replenishing Barrier also gives you passive Resource Regen (which was the deciding factor for me between the two Ults)...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t run vampire cause I dislike dying to fire damage.

Pretty sure I’m just going to do a range Templar build next patch. Maybe wizards and innate or something.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    @TheDoomsdayMonster stop talking, link a build and let me post a poll comparing what you run to what a meta Magplar looks like. Let the people decide

I cant figure out how to get a screen shot from my ps4 to here; I tried, but it won't accept it...

But it doesn't matter anyway as stats don't tell the whole tale...

Besides, you are 750 CP as am I...

My gear is fully Golded as is yours (Well my Neck is purple, but will soon be Gold)...

I am using a 5/5/2 set up with a Monster Helm as you do...

The way I see it, all we'd be debating which stats are the 'best' as the quantity of our stats would be equal in abundance...

And since what stats are 'best' are a function of the individual parts of your build and how you choose to play your character, what's 'best' is a matter of opinion, and isn't really debating material as a result...

And I’m telling you that because of inefficient build decisions our stats will not be equal in quantity. There is a clear difference in what you will achieve versus what I will and I think you really need to see how significant it is.

Just use build editor. http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 4, 2018 12:37AM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I hate about toppling is how bloody useless it is against moving targets.... but that’s all charges now
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I used to swap the Total Dark and Reflective light positions. It's pretty easy to light / heavy attack with a staff and Reflective light / Vamp Bane. And just a question, but what makes you choose Vamp Bane over Reflective light?

I like the higher uptime with Vampire's Bane. Longer crit chance, snare and DoT. One less uptime I have to worry about.
    I am tempted to give the Lightning staff another go. I do have a Nirn Willpower staff in my bags. Wall of Elements would have to replace my Radiant as well. It's the only spell I can live without, though with the incoming buff....330% to 480% :)

Radiant has been on my bar until just a week ago. I still find it useful even with the low damage. I'm not sure how much better it's going to be with the buff it's getting though, but I'm certainly going to give it a try again.
    I'll never give up Toppling. I've heard so many times on these forums that it bugs out, that it's unreliable. But I've never had a problem with it outside of lag. And that's not a problem with the skill. That's just lag. Ive landed so many kills with the stun from Toppling. And in group play, my teammates will often immediately hit the player that just got stunned. They are dead before they can get up. And I cannot count the number of times I've used it to escape from danger, too :)

I have experienced a lot of the mentioned issues with it, usually when chasing after someone and the toppling brings me to them but doesn't hit them. The most I see this is when someone is on a horse and riding away, but it also happens when someone is near the end of the range of Toppling and moving away. But even with all that, it's still invaluable.

...and many more.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bars for solo

Bane, weakness of elements, sweeps, eclipse, flex (radiant, channeled acceleration, Wall, time freeze, etc)

Focus, degeneration, htd, ritual, purifying.

Axiom/ shackle/ witch mothers / apprentice

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the higher uptime with Vampire's Bane. Longer crit chance, snare and DoT. One less uptime I have to worry about.

Radiant has been on my bar until just a week ago. I still find it useful even with the low damage. I'm not sure how much better it's going to be with the buff it's getting though, but I'm certainly going to give it a try again.

I have experienced a lot of the mentioned issues with it, usually when chasing after someone and the toppling brings me to them but doesn't hit them. The most I see this is when someone is on a horse and riding away, but it also happens when someone is near the end of the range of Toppling and moving away. But even with all that, it's still invaluable.

I'm with you on Toppling Charge as well; it's invaluable...

It's the only chance you have as a Templar to catch and kill fleeing Nightblades and Sorcs...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist

I've actually never known a Magplar to play without Channeled Focus. But what I'm seeing here is very similar bars to mine.
    Offensive duel wield bar - Punc Sweeps, Toppling, Reflective Light, Radiant, Purifying Light, Soul Assault
    Defensive resto/destro bar - Total Dark, Extended, Mist, Chan Focus, Honor, Bats

Yes, for a Magplar do be successful, we need multiple dmg spells. You use 7 not including Utlis. I use 6.

On my EuroTemplar I started mucking about with Toppling again in the hopes it works... and I have to say that so far things have been looking up. I may actually start using this skill again and that makes me happy. We'll still see if I get stuck in walls/keep stairs/hills in the future though or get locked in animation. Hasn't happened though in like 5 hours of gameplay so like I said I'm feeling a bit positive about it.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist

On my EuroTemplar I started mucking about with Toppling again in the hopes it works... and I have to say that so far things have been looking up. I may actually start using this skill again and that makes me happy. We'll still see if I get stuck in walls/keep stairs/hills in the future though or get locked in animation. Hasn't happened though in like 5 hours of gameplay so like I said I'm feeling a bit positive about it.

I don't get stuck in objects or animation locked anymore. Haven't for a long time, so that's something.

...and many more.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist

I don't get stuck in objects or animation locked anymore. Haven't for a long time, so that's something.

Yea it works now; just like I said if the target is moving it won’t land at all which blows
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't notice a difference in damage and the sustain and survivability is much better.

I just turned into a lizard it's way better

• Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lizards will once again rule the planet!

Edited by Synozeer on August 4, 2018 3:06PM

...and many more.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is insanely better man I can't belive I was a filthy high elf for a year.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What pots do yall run?
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What pots do yall run?

Speed/immov/stam ... mostly so I don't have to slot Toppling
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What pots do yall run?

I almost only use tripots as a high elf, only reason i wanna go argonian is to open that up some.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Random questions for you guys:

1. Has anyone ever tried the Shadowrend/Necro/Lich combo on a Magplar?

2. Has anyone ever tried using Harness Magicka+Healing Ward on a Magplar?

Strictly curious as to whether that would work or not.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think there’s a superior race for magplar. I’ve had argonian, Breton and high elf. All depends on your build when it comes to what race will compliment you better. But I guess there will always be people who feel there is one better than all.

For pots I use tripots, immovable, speed and spell power pots is an option if you NEED to free up a slot, last resort option.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    Random questions for you guys:

1. Has anyone ever tried the Shadowrend/Necro/Lich combo on a Magplar?

2. Has anyone ever tried using Harness Magicka+Healing Ward on a Magplar?

Strictly curious as to whether that would work or not.

I’ve used healing ward and harness at some point . Neither are on my bar right now , harness is really good in open world against mag builds. In no cp it’s harder to keep using, so you use it to get resources instead.

Healing ward isn’t needed but it’s still a good skill.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Fair enough. I was just curious.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What pots do yall run?

I almost only use tripots as a high elf, only reason i wanna go argonian is to open that up some.

That's exactly where I was at I just swapped to lizard and now I can use speed lingering health and speed imov it's wonderful.