Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Ahh nice, for some reason I was thinking it just buffed Spell resists. Was that what it was before they changed it again post-nerf?

Way way back when, it was just spell

it used to double stack on your resist buffs giving you like 10k+ spell resists lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figured I'd drop my build in here.
    First some basic stats so y'all know who I am as a magplar.
    Been playing since beta. My ONLY character is a nord templar whose been mag since 9 months after release. 200 days /played

Skoria/ riposte/ rose. Riposte is backbarred, two torugs on damage bar.
    DW sword (Will always run DW, too fun not to use and *** staves and their skill slotted requirement and only buffing one damage type and)
    Resto riposte on back bar.

4971 spell damage with continuous. 1350 front bar regen, 1550 back bar.

This build is perfect for all around gameplay. Passive sustain while misting (dragging and splitting enemies up it's like a slower version of streak XD)

I'm playing with dropping apprentice and running overwhelming surge or war maiden for even more spell damage and running atronach minds. But...rose is so gud

GL and try it out!

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Can someone try this out/rate this pvp build?
    I made it up last night.

Templar: (assume all gear is gold)

Head: slime craw (light nirn)
    Shoulder: slime craw (light nirn)
    Chest: rattle cage (heavy reinforced)
    Legs: rattle cage (heavy reinforced)
    Gloves: impreg (light nirn)
    Sash: impreg (light nirn)
    Boots: impreg (light nirn)

Neck: rattle cage (infused reduce cost)
    Ring1: impreg (infused sp dmg)
    Ring2: impreg (infused sp dmg)

Weapon1: rattle cage (sharpened 2h)
    Weapon2: s&b (willpower)

Lover or atro mundus (depending on how your sustain is)

Skills1:
    Explosive charge/Punct sweeps?, forward momentum, dark flare, BoL, mage light

Skills2:
    Channeled focus (major resolve&ward), Radiant glory (execute), extended ritual, BoL, Luminous shards

Need tri-stat glyph & max mag/mag regen food or citrus fillet if you want more health

Interested to hear thoughts, thanks!

-Kai

Rattlecage is good if you aren't going to use Degeneration for Skoria.

My instinct is that build is good damage/low resource management. Even an Argonian might have trouble since there is no staff attack option.

I would drop Mage Light for whichever morph of Sunfire you prefer (it's the same buff), moar damage - you need pressure). Luminous isn't very good unless you're in a group. As solo I'd run Defensive Posture or, if you prefer Tamriel's version of Russian Roulette, Total Dark is strong if your opponent just smashes attack buttons.

Yea, I was trying to get resource mgmt with atro, food, & maybe for solo play swap out shards for restoring aura?
    High elf & thoughts on vamp?
    The dmg from 2h vs duel swords is the same & I would argue forward momentum is better than mist form.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Figured I'd drop my build in here.
    First some basic stats so y'all know who I am as a magplar.
    Been playing since beta. My ONLY character is a nord templar whose been mag since 9 months after release. 200 days /played

Skoria/ riposte/ rose. Riposte is backbarred, two torugs on damage bar.
    DW sword (Will always run DW, too fun not to use and *** staves and their skill slotted requirement and only buffing one damage type and)
    Resto riposte on back bar.

4971 spell damage with continuous. 1350 front bar regen, 1550 back bar.

This build is perfect for all around gameplay. Passive sustain while misting (dragging and splitting enemies up it's like a slower version of streak XD)

I'm playing with dropping apprentice and running overwhelming surge or war maiden for even more spell damage and running atronach minds. But...rose is so gud

GL and try it out!

Telling us your stats with continous attack? That's a little too much stat fluffing for my taste.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Rattle cage is awful

Have you tried rattlecage in 5 light just using the arcane jewelry & weapon or 2 heavy pieces???

To be clear, my only issue with Rattlecage is that other sets exist that give more damage and there are utility sets that offer more utility.

For example, Overwhelming Surge gives you more damage than Rattlecage 5pc just on the 2-4pc and the 5pc is insane. Julianos and Spinners also offer a lot more damage, hell Spinners without Major Sorcery is within 2% of Rattlecage. Shackle offers 90% of the damage and also adds magika and stam sustain. Even Seducer adds enough sustain that you can easily recoup the difference in damage with jewelry glyphs.

Now, the argument for Rattlecage is that the utility gained by the skill slot will allow either more damage(an extra DoT) or more defense/utility. However, no DoT except Blockade adds comparable damage to Overwhelming Surge and they also require more micro management in your offensive rotation. Also, since I run Elemental Drain on all my offensive Magplar builds entropy gives me a guaranteed Minor Magikasteal proc even when I’m forced to turtle.

Imo, the only arguement for Rattlecage is “I already farmed it, it’s already gold, I don’t want to farm anything else”
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 6, 2018 10:05PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

Have you tried rattlecage in 5 light just using the arcane jewelry & weapon or 2 heavy pieces???

To be clear, my only issue with Rattlecage is that other sets exist that give more damage and there are utility sets that offer more utility.

For example, Overwhelming Surge gives you more damage than Rattlecage 5pc just on the 2-4pc and the 5pc is insane. Julianos and Spinners also offer a lot more damage, hell Spinners without Major Sorcery is within 2% of Rattlecage. Shackle offers 90% of the damage and also adds magika and stam sustain. Even Seducer adds enough sustain that you can easily recoup the difference in damage with jewelry glyphs.

Now, the argument for Rattlecage is that the utility gained by the skill slot will allow either more damage(an extra DoT) or more defense/utility. However, no DoT except Blockade adds comparable damage to Overwhelming Surge and they also require more micro management in your offensive rotation. Also, since I run Elemental Drain on all my offensive Magplar builds entropy gives me a guaranteed Minor Magikasteal proc even when I’m forced to turtle.

Imo, the only arguement for Rattlecage is “I already farmed it, it’s already gold, I don’t want to farm anything else”

The argument for Rattle cage is that major sorcery is % based & we already have 278x2 spell dmg from 2 infused spell dmg rings + the sp dmg from rattlecage
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But seeing that continuous is so bamf...
    4451 without it
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

The argument for Rattle cage is that major sorcery is % based & we already have 278x2 spell dmg from 2 infused spell dmg rings + the sp dmg from rattlecage

Yeah, you’re missing the point. Nobody plays without major sorcery on their mag builds unless they’re trash.

The question becomes: Does the skill slot I’m saving offer enough to offset the inadequate damage I’m getting from this set.

There’s basically never a case on Magplar that adding that additional skill slot creates a superior overall build than just wearing a damage set that actually supplies good damage.

You’re talking about dedicating 5 pieces of gear(and it has to be on both bars) to get 358 Spell damage and 1.5k health. Julianos offers only 60 less Spell damage and gives you 1k magika and 6% crit chance. Spinners gives 100 less Spell damage but also adds 1k Magika and 5.2% penetration. Overwhelming Surge offers 100 less Spell damage but adds 1k magika and an absurdly strong proc which can increase your damage against a specific target by 8%. Spell Power Cure offers 29 more Spell damage and 2k max magika and only needs to be on a single bar. Shackle offers 229 less Spell damage but adds 2k Mag 2k Stam and a line of recovery for each of them. Amber offers 229 spell damage less but adds 3% crit 1k Magika and 250 each Stam and Mag recovery.

Rattlecage is super inefficient and if you’re running it you will have a significantly lower concentration of stats compared to the other options. In addition you also lose out on the Max Mag and Mag recovery that Entropy offers which pushes the relative damage offered by Rattlecage even lower.

Everyone is entitled to run whatever they like, but that doesn’t mean it’s efficient. It also doesn’t mean people should post janky builds that have a significant disadvantage against efficient high level builds in a thread where someone is asking for help. We’re taking about an absolute bottom tier damage set and people are in here recommending it, it’s just absurd how bad Rattlecage is relative to your other options.

http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=78580 Show me the Rattlecage build that’s even close to these stats.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 6, 2018 10:46PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns are you wearing shackle/ amber? When i put that on i run some stam utility from snb.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns are you wearing shackle/ amber? When i put that on i run some stam utility from snb.

It’s my favorite all purpose setup for Magplar. Because look at those stats man. Slotting Reverb and stacking Befoul is also disgusting with this setup.

I honestly just dodge roll more, use that to animation cancel a heal or purge instead of going into Mist, I always consider being forced into Mist Form a win for my opponent(s). That’s a Breton, but I play Argonian which gives another 200+ effective stam regen. I want to try it with 2h backbar and Race against time.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 7, 2018 12:49AM
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

Yeah, you’re missing the point. Nobody plays without major sorcery on their mag builds unless they’re trash.

The question becomes: Does the skill slot I’m saving offer enough to offset the inadequate damage I’m getting from this set.

There’s basically never a case on Magplar that adding that additional skill slot creates a superior overall build than just wearing a damage set that actually supplies good damage.

You’re talking about dedicating 5 pieces of gear(and it has to be on both bars) to get 358 Spell damage and 1.5k health. Julianos offers only 60 less Spell damage and gives you 1k magika and 6% crit chance. Spinners gives 100 less Spell damage but also adds 1k Magika and 5.2% penetration. Overwhelming Surge offers 100 less Spell damage but adds 1k magika and an absurdly strong proc which can increase your damage against a specific target by 8%. Spell Power Cure offers 29 more Spell damage and 2k max magika and only needs to be on a single bar. Shackle offers 229 less Spell damage but adds 2k Mag 2k Stam and a line of recovery for each of them. Amber offers 229 spell damage less but adds 3% crit 1k Magika and 250 each Stam and Mag recovery.

Rattlecage is super inefficient and if you’re running it you will have a significantly lower concentration of stats compared to the other options. In addition you also lose out on the Max Mag and Mag recovery that Entropy offers which pushes the relative damage offered by Rattlecage even lower.

Everyone is entitled to run whatever they like, but that doesn’t mean it’s efficient. It also doesn’t mean people should post janky builds that have a significant disadvantage against efficient high level builds in a thread where someone is asking for help. We’re taking about an absolute bottom tier damage set and people are in here recommending it, it’s just absurd how bad Rattlecage is relative to your other options.

http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=78580 Show me the Rattlecage build that’s even close to these stats.

I mean I think you’re exaggerating a bit to say it’s a bottom tier set. It’s a damage set that’s easy to use and plays well for a lot of people that would like to have an extra ability. And as far as the OP goes, he said he feels squishy. I don’t think a 22k health build like that would be what he’s after. I dunno though. Great build either way.

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was planning to run shackle and Amber on my argonian before my account got zapped, never got the chance. This was the patch before morrowind, think it was even better back then because this is before all the nerfs.
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on August 7, 2018 1:17AM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »
    Rattle cage is awful

I mean I think you’re exaggerating a bit to say it’s a bottom tier set. It’s a damage set that’s easy to use and plays well for a lot of people that would like to have an extra ability. And as far as the OP goes, he said he feels squishy. I don’t think a 22k health build like that would be what he’s after. I dunno though. Great build either way.

I just used real numbers to list off 7 sets that all vary from slightly better to vastly superior and that didn’t include: Caluurion, Winterborn, any defensive sets, Necro, etc. Rattlecage so so far down the list.

22k Health is nothing to sneeze at when you’ve got near limitless sustain. This build has more defense, healing, and health than light armor with Wizard’s. It’s also got higher tooltips and access to more viable defensive choices and much easier resetting of fights. Did you see the build he said was squishy before you tried to reference this one not being tacky enough?
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 7, 2018 2:24AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made it up last night.

Skills1:

Skills2:
    Channeled focus (major resolve&ward), Radiant glory (execute), extended ritual, BoL, Luminous shards

Need tri-stat glyph & max mag/mag regen food or citrus fillet if you want more health

-Kai

My instinct is that build is good damage/low resource management. Even an Argonian might have trouble since there is no staff attack option.

I would drop Mage Light for whichever morph of Sunfire you prefer (it's the same buff), moar damage - you need pressure). Luminous isn't very good unless you're in a group. As solo I'd run Defensive Posture or, if you prefer Tamriel's version of Russian Roulette, Total Dark is strong if your opponent just smashes attack buttons.

Yea, I was trying to get resource mgmt with atro, food, & maybe for solo play swap out shards for restoring aura?
    High elf & thoughts on vamp?
    The dmg from 2h vs duel swords is the same & I would argue forward momentum is better than mist form.

I like Forward Momentum and I like the extra damage you get from a 2H without having to worry about AoE or single target.

I use speed pots in place of Mist, with FM should be ok if you're disciplined keeping the buff up. Altmer is good, though I think Argonian is BIS, especially as you're using a stam skill.

That build is gonna do nice damage, you'll have to play it to judge the resource strain.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    My only argument for running rattlecage over any other typical setup is when I 2vx with my friend I have a dps oriented guard build.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

I just used real numbers to list off 7 sets that all vary from slightly better to vastly superior and that didn’t include: Caluurion, Winterborn, any defensive sets, Necro, etc. Rattlecage so so far down the list.

22k Health is nothing to sneeze at when you’ve got near limitless sustain. This build has more defense, healing, and health than light armor with Wizard’s. It’s also got higher tooltips and access to more viable defensive choices and much easier resetting of fights. Did you see the build he said was squishy before you tried to reference this one not being tacky enough?

Yea I saw it which is why I was saying he might need more health..
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the OP wants to have more survivability, then my build would definitely be superior to that which he stated originally...

His damage dealing capability would take a hit, but if he values survival while still being able to generate just enough burst to kill most players, then it would be worth a try...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont bash on rattlecage :) This is probably the best set for a magplar. Saves a key spell slot, or allows you to run Immovable pots.

~ @Niekas ~

• Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar and solo pvp...

lol

I mean I run around solo always but i rarely see any magplars solo :D
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    Magplar and solo pvp...

lol

i dont understand, why you are laughing...
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    Magplar and solo pvp...

lol

i dont understand, why you are laughing...

Magplar solo. Har har har! I have seen one in last two weeks.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you guys putting on your bars that you need rattlecage or spell pots for? Sounds like you're building to try and do too much.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Everyone who's mentioning Chudan knows it doesn't stack with rune bonuses, right? Just in case you don't.

The 1 pc bonus does stack, the 2 pc is just the major ward buff and therefore does not. Chudan can be used instead of Rune to free up the hotbar slot and until the DLC to spare you the trouble of recasting it every 8 seconds. Using them both together would be pointless obviously.

Yeah true, I did mean as a 2piece.

More perks come with the rune via passives and you also lose out on much stronger sets like Slimecraw (8%) raw, or Valkyn for the (+x%) rng damage increase for example.

I can't see even 1 piece ever being worth running compared to the options.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made it up last night.

Skills1:

Skills2:

-Kai

I'd like to weigh in on this one as well.

I'm pretty sure you get more back for running a set other than Impreg and using impen traits.

Joy is right about Rattle, not to be used in conjunction with Spell power pots or entropy otherwise it's a waste.

Use the 2h if you're using forward momentum but for the playstyle you're talking about, a staff would be much much better - Especially on front bar with those abilities.

You don't need BoL on both bars - Drop it front bar for spammable if using staff or something else if you do run the 2h.

Lover is a mundus I never recommend as it only affects non-shielded targets. If you use atronach, you'll be able to be aggressive longer and if you use apprentice, you'll do more raw damage to everyone, including shields - But slightly less to non shielders (The end result is an overall gain)

Also, without the 30% from Riposte or TK or something, you're going to get hit hard - That's my impression anyway!
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you guys putting on your bars that you need rattlecage or spell pots for? Sounds like you're building to try and do too much.

Hotbar slots are a problem if you run soloish in Cyrodiil and don't constantly wanna juggle setups via some addon. All too many of the Templar skills are situational - Total Dark being the case in point. It can be either great or completely useless.

Even then I'm not a big fan of the set, but it certainly is more tempting than on any of my other characters, all of them have more general use and/or multi-effect skills, so there is no need for Rattlecage at all.

In controlled environments like battlegrounds or running as support bot in zergballs this is a non-issue, even for Templars. Not everybody plays that way though and it might help if certain posters with strong opinions in this thread would remember that occasionally.
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on August 7, 2018 4:35PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said before as a Templar there always will be a skill you have to go without. Even more now with the new skill line. Templars have very tight bars, so I can understand why some people want to free up slots.
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on August 7, 2018 4:44PM
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s kind of the opposite, having a flex slot and not needing to “buff” up just makes things easier.

I’ve been playing with that slot, right now it’s a backbarred Total Dark. Eventually I’d like to drop sustain and try out Meditate (not unlocked yet), I’d also like to try Time Freeze on my backbar. Upcoming buffs to Radiant might also mean that’s going to need to be slotted again. There’s a lot of useful skills out there people trade off for, I very often wish I had one more skill on my Mag classes.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you open with a Stam cost posion, entropy then total dark you can really put players in a tough spot from the start. If they break the total dark it cost alot of Stam if they don't you can continue to burst.

It also seems to work really well to get your dots going then total dark into your gap closer knock down then dawn breaker if skoria procs during this it's a really good burst.

I've never used total dark properly till recently and find it incredibly useful even against skilled players.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

So in the build you posted it basically boils down to if you value 250 mag and stam recovery vs an extra skill like total dark or time stop if you use rattlecage right?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful

So in the build you posted it basically boils down to if you value 250 mag and stam recovery vs an extra skill like total dark or time stop if you use rattlecage right?

You won’t hit 41k mag and 4K Spell damage subbing Rattle for Amber. So I value the higher damage AND sustain over the skill slot.

You can’t run Shackle+Cage and 3x Spell damage glyphs and apprentice, you won’t be able to sustain it because you can’t afford to use Clockwork instead of tri-stat.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 7, 2018 5:26PM