Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact:

By slotting Mist INSTEAD of Rune, you are missing out on the magicka regen you could be getting when slotting Mist AND Rune. Yes, one of the several ways to regen magicka while in Mist Form.

Then you can slot Pirate Skeleton or Blood Spawn and still be very defensive.

But you do you.

is the magicka rune better than the minor protection rune? always thought the magicka regen was pretty low.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    Syiccal wrote: »
    I currently run 5/1/1 light using 2 pirate skele, 5 shackle, 5 wizards with dw willpower swords on front bar.
    Pirate does suffer from being buggy now and again under laggy conditions but it by far the best defensive set that will allow me to be more offensive as I can mitigate alot of damage.

is pirate skeleton good now that you can't cleanse the minor defile? I personally have't tried it yet but have always been gun shy due to the minor defile.

yea it's great, imo it's the best set for a magplar in pvp, as an argonian + 5-10% heals in cp I still get 12k honour the dead heals even with pirate proc. it allows me to mitigate alot of dmg without using sheilds meaning I can play more offensive than I would be able to otherwise..
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

How DARE you speak ill of The Mighty CHUDAN!!!!! monster set...

:trollface:

You’re going to give up the best sustain skill in the magplar kit and a 2pc monster helm and gain what? Doesn’t get much less efficient than Chudan

There is give and take for everything...

The question is what are you replacing Rune with and how well does it mesh with the rest of your build...

So what am I giving up Rune and a different Monster Set for?

1) 100% (maintenance free) up time on 8255 Spell/Physical Resist...

2) 1206 Max Health Bonus...

3) Elusive Mist (which benefits greatly from Mighty Chudan; there is strong synergy between the two) and it's Major Expedition, Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, and 75% damage negation...

For me, having an extremely tanky Mist Form is very worthwhile...

Especially since I wear Spectre's Eye (which adds Major Evasion to my Mist Form) which makes my Mist Form even more difficult to destroy...

Besides that, never ever having to worry about or cast a Defensive Buff (Magplars have no Class Buff that gives as much mitigation as Chudan and Chudan provides that mitigation for free with 0 maintenance) has great value...

No one can catch you with your guard down...

You call that inefficient?

I call that very efficient and very valuable...

I think where Chudan falls short is if you are pairing it with light armor. It won’t let you get your resistances high enough for it to be a significant advantage since you already have access to the Major through Rune. Bloodspawn/Lord Warden/Pirate Skelly would be better defense sets for a LA build. IMO, of course.

That said, Chudan can shine on a heavy armor build where you want to drop Rune for some other type of ability, like Meditate/Ele Drain/or even more damage.

I actually hate Rune and favor a setup without it. But, I’m currently on the LA hype train so I have to be able to stack Rune on top of a defensive set so Chudan seems inefficient for my LA build.

With Chudan I am getting 29k Spell and 23k Physical Resist in constant effect...

You don't think that's effective?

Especially on a Light Armor build that combines that with Shields and Major Evasion?
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys aren’t slotting rune? Rune is too good to drop , especially since Templar doesn’t have any real defense. You lose more than you gain by dropping it.

It can be replaced with a set but you lose something else in return.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact:

By slotting Mist INSTEAD of Rune, you are missing out on the magicka regen you could be getting when slotting Mist AND Rune. Yes, one of the several ways to regen magicka while in Mist Form.

But you do you.

is the magicka rune better than the minor protection rune? always thought the magicka regen was pretty low.

Depends on the setup, typically I’ll use restoring but on low regen glass dps builds I use channel. Even then it’s not actually needed with heavy attacks, meditation and elemental drain.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys aren’t slotting rune? Rune is too good to drop , especially since Templar doesn’t have any real defense. You lose more than you gain by dropping it.

And you also gain something with the free slot...

How much you gain just depends on what ability you replaced Rune with and how well it blends in with the rest of your build...

It's definitely debatable as to wether you lose more than you gain by dropping Rune...

For me the Chudan/Elusive Mist/Spectre's Eye synergy is just too strong to pass on...

Whenever I get into trouble, I can just Mist away, and unless I have multiple attackers focus firing and Ult dumping on me, I will get away...

Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 4:42PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

You’re going to give up the best sustain skill in the magplar kit and a 2pc monster helm and gain what? Doesn’t get much less efficient than Chudan

The question is what are you replacing Rune with and how well does it mesh with the rest of your build...

3) Elusive Mist (which benefits greatly from Mighty Chudan; there is strong synergy between the two) and it's Major Expedition, Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, and 75% damage negation...

Especially since I wear Spectre's Eye (which adds Major Evasion to my Mist Form) which makes my Mist Form even more difficult to destroy...

Besides that, never ever having to worry about or cast a Defensive Buff (Magplars have no Class Buff that gives as much mitigation as Chudan and Chudan provides that mitigation for free with 0 maintenance) has great value...

I think where Chudan falls short is if you are pairing it with light armor. It won’t let you get your resistances high enough for it to be a significant advantage since you already have access to the Major through Rune. Bloodspawn/Lord Warden/Pirate Skelly would be better defense sets for a LA build. IMO, of course.

That said, Chudan can shine on a heavy armor build where you want to drop Rune for some other type of ability, like Meditate/Ele Drain/or even more damage.

I actually hate Rune and favor a setup without it. But, I’m currently on the LA hype train so I have to be able to stack Rune on top of a defensive set so Chudan seems inefficient for my LA build.

With Chudan I am getting 29k Spell and 23k Physical Resist in constant effect...

Especially on a Light Armor build that combines that with Shields and Major Evasion?

I’m not trying to hate on it, I like the idea of it honestly. I bolded above where I was mainly talking about my setup.

I have to ask though since that’s some great resistances in LA, what is the take away?
    Where’s your recovery/dmg?

I run rattlecage to save a slot too, I completely understand.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really not necessary if you build with enough sustain and one defensive set. I've even run 5 light with no defensive sets, rune or shields and really didn't have any glaring survivability issues (I had 28k health), but I wouldn't recommend doing that in most cases.

Edited by Synozeer on August 3, 2018 4:58PM
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And you also gain something with the free slot...

How much you gain just depends on what ability you replaced Rune with and how well it blends in with the rest of your build...

It's definitely debatable as to wether you lose more than you gain by dropping Rune...

For me the Chudan/Elusive Mist/Spectre's Eye synergy is just too strong to pass on...

Whenever I get into trouble, I can just Mist away, and unless I have multiple attackers focus firing and Ult dumping on me, I will get away...

You lose regen and or extra healing/mitigation for a set that gives resistance. Plus the fact you miss out on other monster sets. You can have high resistance without dropping rune.

There’s other forms of mitigation as well.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Mighty Chudan ever needs a representative, I know whom I'm gonna vote for
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synozeer wrote: »

It's really not necessary if you build with enough sustain and one defensive set. I've even run 5 light with no defensive sets, rune or shields and really didn't have any glaring survivability issues (I had 28k health), but I wouldn't recommend doing that in most cases.

Would love to see the stats and sets and bar setup.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @CatchMeTrolling

Let's take the example me and Lexxpwns were debating, can you conclusively say that I lose more than I gain in the following example:

Rune + Skoria (since Lexx likes Skoria)...

Vs

Elusive Mist + Chudan...

Rune + Skoria:

1) 5280 Spell/Physical Resist (12 second duration)...

2) 120 Magicka Regen every .5 secs for 12 seconds...

3) 1206 Max Health Bonus...

4) 8% Chance to summon a meteor that does 5k damage (roughly adjusted for PvP as the Damage will be variable pending your CP's and enemy Resists) and 2k splash damage; can occur every 5 seconds...

Vs

1) 8255 Spell/Physical Resist (100% uptime)...

2) 1206 Max Health...

3) Major Expedition (30% Movement Bonus), Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, 75% damage reduction...4 sec duration.

Can you conclusively say that one is 'better' than the other?

The way I see it, one will make you much more tanky, while the other will give you greater sustain and damage output...

IMHO, you are are choosing between 2 right answers with the above as both are beneficial...

It just comes down to which one you are more comfortable playing...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

I’m not trying to hate on it, I like the idea of it honestly. I bolded above where I was mainly talking about my setup.

I have to ask though since that’s some great resistances in LA, what is the take away?
    Where’s your recovery/dmg?

I run rattlecage to save a slot too, I completely understand.

Admittedly, my sustain could be better...

I get by with Witchmothers, Pots, and Heavy Attacking with a Resto Staff as needed...

Damage is decent (my 56% Spell Crit helps greatly with this), but again, could be better...

I have found that even in 3 Defensive Sets that you can kill most players with a well timed Purifying Light/Invigorating Drain/Cancel/Soul Assault combo however...

Those that are tough enough to take this typically cant burst me down either, so (IMHO) the compromise is acceptable...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Rune alone is superior to Mist since it gives you so damned much sustain, allowing you to build more damage into your build.

You can post a link to a build then I’ll do the same and we can see who has superior stats, it’s impossible to build as efficiently with Chudan as it is without.

Rune superior to Elusive Mist!??

Well that's your opinion; I certainly don't agree with it, but to each his own...

As to who has superior stats, that's somewhat opinionated as well as some favor certain stats over others...

You're by far the best templar I've ever seen at using mist form to run away from a fight to a zerg or goats after you charge in and fail with your soul assault. Easily.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on August 3, 2018 5:47PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Fun fact:

But you do you.

Maybe now that the rune sticks with you it might be worth it to go with the minor protection. I'd have to play around with it after the update.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Rune alone is superior to Mist since it gives you so damned much sustain, allowing you to build more damage into your build.

You can post a link to a build then I’ll do the same and we can see who has superior stats, it’s impossible to build as efficiently with Chudan as it is without.

Well that's your opinion; I certainly don't agree with it, but to each his own...

As to who has superior stats, that's somewhat opinionated as well as some favor certain stats over others...

Just link me a build and I’ll post a poll with our two builds compared.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @CatchMeTrolling

Let's take the example me and Lexxpwns were debating, can you conclusively say that I lose more than I gain in the following example:

Rune + Skoria (since Lexx likes Skoria)...

Vs

Elusive Mist + Chudan...

Rune + Skoria:

1) 5280 Spell/Physical Resist (12 second duration)...

2) 120 Magicka Regen every .5 secs for 12 seconds...

3) 1206 Max Health Bonus...

4) 8% Chance to summon a meteor that does 5k damage (roughly adjusted for PvP as the Damage will be variable pending your CP's and enemy Resists) and 2k splash damage; can occur every 5 seconds...

Vs

1) 8255 Spell/Physical Resist (100% uptime)...

2) 1206 Max Health...

3) Major Expedition (30% Movement Bonus), Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, 75% damage reduction...4 sec duration.

Can you conclusively say that one is 'better' than the other?

The way I see it, one will make you much more tanky, while the other will give you greater sustain and damage output...

IMHO, you are are choosing between 2 right answers with the above as both are beneficial...

It just comes down to which one you are more comfortable playing...

You forgot the fact people have been running mist with skoria and rune. So you don’t lose anything with that setup but you do with Chudan and mist.

Sure Chudan allows an extra skill , although I’m not sure what skill, mist for you? Either way as a magplar there’s going to always be a skill you have to go without.

It seems you’re fixated on defense. Plus I personally don’t like vamp with all the fire damage And dawnbreakers unless it’s for emp but that’s another debate.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

You're by far the best templar I've ever seen at using mist form to run away from a fight to a zerg or goats after you charge in and fail with your soul assault. Easily.

We have players like that on PC too, sadly common for templars to run away from even fights into the warm and welcoming arms of the zergball.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Lol!!!!!

Mist Form is life!!!

Edit: I've gotten hate mail from people accusing me of cheating because they don't understand how they are 'missing' when they attack my Mist Form...

I'm telling you that Spectre's Eye brings out the best of Elusive Mist...

:)
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 6:15PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

We have players like that on PC too, sadly common for templars to run away from even fights into the warm and welcoming arms of the zergball.

Players do that, not specifically classes.
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Lol!!!!!

Mist Form is life!!!

Edit: I've gotten hate mail from people accusing me of cheating because they don't understand how they are 'missing' when they attack my Mist Form...

Listen to yourself. You're talking about using a set to buff a skill that you use to run away with. Getting hate mail for running isn't a good thing.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking about taking the POWER of Elusive Mist to the next level:

Chudan x2...
    Spectre's Eye x5...
    Vampire Cloak x5...

That would give me Minor Protection in constant effect on top of 2 additional Health Bonus's (4 Max Health Bonus's total)...

If I then went with Swift x3, then my Mist Form would be nearly unkillable...

But I am betting that the above would not be able to kill a thing...

:(
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 6:33PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Players do that, not specifically classes.
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Lol!!!!!

Mist Form is life!!!

Listen to yourself. You're talking about using a set to buff a skill that you use to run away with. Getting hate mail for running isn't a good thing.

Being able to kill people while rarely dying is a great thing...

I don't care that I can't kill as efficiently as some other players can...

I hate dying; not dying is priority #1...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking about taking the POWER[/] of Elusive Mist to the next level:

Chudan x2...
    Spectre's Eye x5...
    Vampire Cloak x5...

That would give me Minor Protection in constant effect on top of 2 additional Health Bonus's (4 Max Health Bonus's total)...

If I then went with Swift x3, then my Mist Form would be nearly unkillable...

But I am betting that the above would not be able to kill a thing...

:(

Lol Go ahead, I get the feeling I would hate your play style. I prefer to play very aggressively. I use Wizards, skoria, willpower swords and either surge/bsw,spc or trans depending on how I feel that day. I'm not a vampire so I don't use mist.

Typically when under heavy fire I turtle up, block and use total dark on the melee players. The opponent has two options , stop momentarily and break free or disengage. Most of the time players get blood thirsty and start going full ham on you when they see you low get hammered by the first couple hits of total dark and that's enough for me to turn the fight around.
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unkillable does not equal effective
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5 light/1 medium/1 heavy all Impen trait(most of my armor is purple)
    Shacklebreaker
    Wizard's Riposte
    Skoria

Lightning destro bar (sharpened):
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Wall of Elements (used to run Radiant which also works well)
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

1h/shield bar (nirnhoned/sturdy):
    Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist
    Spell Wall/Devouring Swarm

26,800 health (28,200 on shield bar)
    32700 magicka (34,400 on shield bar)
    14,250 stamina

Argonian
    1900 magicka recovery
    739 stamina recovery
    2100 unbuffed spell damage (2300 shield bar)

Spell resist/physical resist: 14100/9620 (17250/12800 shield bar)
    Crit resist: 3100

Spell damage on all jewelry, Arcane trait.
    Prismatic on 3 large armor pieces.

In CP, I run a lot of points into buffing my healing, have Off Balance passive, and a lot of the usual offense/defensive. Mistform is key for mitigating damage and repositioning, as is blockcasting heals.

The one I ran with no defensive sets was a cheese build, 5 Overwhelming, 5 Sloads, 2 Skoria, used Mistform and blockcasting heals for defense. It also had 26k/28k health.

Edited by Synozeer on August 3, 2018 8:10PM

...and many more.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »
    Unkillable does not equal effective

Effective at what? The game rewards AP to players who are physically present during fights and no preference is given towards players who carry their weight. Someone could run 1500 spelldam and mist form away every time someone tags them with damage and still get exactly the same rewards as everyone else.

"I'm getting AP, enemies are dying, I must be good at this game"
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're also one of the best players on PC NA :wink:
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5 light/1 medium/1 heavy all Impen trait(most of my armor is purple)
    Shacklebreaker
    Wizard's Riposte
    Skoria

Lightning destro bar (sharpened):
    Toppling Charge
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Wall of Elements (used to run Radiant which also works well)
    Total Dark
    Purifying Light
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

1h/shield bar (nirnhoned/sturdy):
    Structured Entropy
    Vampire's Bane
    Extended Ritual
    Honor the Dead
    Elusive Mist
    Spell Wall/Devouring Swarm

26,800 health (28,200 on shield bar)
    32700 magicka (34,400 on shield bar)
    14,250 stamina

1900 magicka recovery
    739 stamina recovery
    2100 unbuffed spell damage (2300 shield bar)

Spell resist/physical resist: 14100/9620 (17250/12800 shield bar)
    Crit resist: 3100

Spell damage on all jewelry, Arcane trait.
    Prismatic on 3 large armor pieces.

In CP, I run a lot of points into buffing my healing, have Off Balance passive, and a lot of the usual offense/defensive. Mistform is key for mitigating damage and repositioning, as is blockcasting heals.

The one I ran with no defensive sets was a cheese build, 5 Overwhelming, 5 Sloads, 2 Skoria, used Mistform and blockcasting heals for defense. It also had 26k/28k health.

What’s your race. The issue I see happening is a competent stam player getting the jump on you and not being able to recover or you end up stuck on defense. Especially since your front bar is a staff.

Personally I would swap entropy with total dark. And remove toppling charge completely, it’s not needed.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TheDoomsdayMonster stop talking, link a build and let me post a poll comparing what you run to what a meta Magplar looks like. Let the people decide
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're also one of the best players on PC NA :wink:

Thanks, but I wouldn't give myself that much credit. I just consider myself "consistent" :)

What’s your race. The issue I see happening is a competent stam player getting the jump on you and not being able to recover or you end up stuck on defense. Especially since your front bar is a staff.

Personally I would swap entropy with total dark. And remove toppling charge completely, it’s not needed.

Sorry, forgot to add that. I'm Argonian (I used to be High Elf).

Do you mean switch the positions of Total Dark and Entropy? I've considered it but I like having access to TD without needing to switch bars when going on the offensive. I usually start off on my shield bar and start out with an Entropy and Vamp Bane, then go to my destro bar and cast Total Dark when combat is starting.

As far as Toppling Charge goes, it will never leave my bar ;) I don't know how people play without it. The only answers I've heard from various non-gapclosing Magplars about what they do when a sorc streaks away or a stam player sprints, they say they let them go. That's not me, I'll Toppling Charge a sorc to the ends of the Earth. Toppling also gives you more maneuverability, letting you quickly gap close away from a large group to a single target when trying to avoid getting outnumbered. It's also an interrupt and another source of off-balance for the CP off balance 10% damage passive.

I survive almost all gank attempts (Xv1 ganking aside), and when not fighting I'm on my 1h/shield bar, so 28k health + more defenses and Riposte pad any damage and then one Honor the Dead and I'm back to almost full health. A dodge roll here also gives me time to recover from those brutal first stam assaults.

...and many more.