Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently run 5/1/1 light using 2 pirate skele, 5 shackle, 5 wizards with dw willpower swords on front bar.
    Pirate does suffer from being buggy now and again under laggy conditions but it by far the best defensive set that will allow me to be more offensive as I can mitigate alot of damage.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xGhost91x

You should back bar wizards reposte. 5 body pod the other set you want like shackle, axiom, transmutation, spc, amber plasm, surge, desert rose, the list goes on.

You can actually front bar and back bar a set like trans/ reposte and still have great perfect uptime on both. This allows you to put 2 willpower rings on instead of a weapon for the permanent magicka increase which youll want if running a set like wizards with no max mag bonus.

Wizards is a great mitigation set, but not running a second like impreg or transmutation can make it tough to go or stay offensive. Proc sets like skoria/ surge/sloads etc can help with that.

Tbag everyone you kill, bc you have to earn them all on a templar.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    @Brutusmax1mus Skoria, Wizard's, and Transmutation all on one character? Would I have enough damage output to kill anyone? Or did I misread that?
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It affects AoE spells not channels, right?

Yes. My bad. Thanks for the correction.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PapaWeeb wrote: »
    You'd be running 29k Spell/23k Physical Resist (with 100% maintenance free uptime) with Mighty Chudan x2 (and this is golden when you are attacked unaware)...

No point to go with chudan, rune focus is getting buffed with wolfhunter to give you full uptime of major ward/resolve

And what happens when you are caught off guard? What is Rune doing then?

Absolutely nothing...

With Chudan, your full defenses are up 100% of the time...

In addition, Chudan gives more mitigation than Rune: 8255 Spell/Physical Resist for Chudan vs 5280 Spell/Physical Resist for Rune (Chudan also provides you with a 1206 Health Bonus)...

And the Morph of Rune that gives Minor Protection has this benefit reduced to 4% (instead of the 8% tooltip) due to diminishing returns in CP enabled campaigns, so Chudan wins the mitigation battle against this Morph as well (12% for this Morph of Rune vs 12.5% for Chudan)...

With Chudan, you don't have to think about your defenses, you don't have to cast a buff every 18 or so seconds, and you save a slot (which is very significant)...

With Chudan you are always on guard against a bomber or Nightblade...

You can't say the same about Rune...

So no, Chudan is not a waste by any stretch of the imagination...

A Nightblade isn't gonna kill you in less than a second with their opener, any temp with at least 22k HP is going to have plenty of time to break free and block heal for a second to recover. In fact, I always cleanse before healing when a ganker hits me, that's how safe you are while blocking.

The question isn't Chudan vs Focus, it's Chudan vs the monster set you could be using. You get 10 ability slots but only 1 monster set. Keeping channeled focus on the ground take a portion of your attention, and wanting an easier playstyle with fewer buffs and debuffs to pay attention to is fine, but you're sacrificing power to do so and limiting the raw potential of a build.

Correction, it's:

Chudan + whatever you slot in place of Rune...

Vs

Rune + whatever Monster Helm you use...

Because of this, I disagree with your belief that using Chudan limits your raw potential of a build...

The potential of the build lies not only on the above conflict, but on how well the totality of your build synergies with the individual parts that make it up...

For my build, I slot Elusive Mist in place of Rune...

So, for me I take Chudan + Elusive Mist (and Chudans Defensive Benefits stack with Defense inherent to Mist Form) over Rune and whatever Monster Set any day...

But that's just me...

Fun fact:

By slotting Mist INSTEAD of Rune, you are missing out on the magicka regen you could be getting when slotting Mist AND Rune. Yes, one of the several ways to regen magicka while in Mist Form.

Then you can slot Pirate Skeleton or Blood Spawn and still be very defensive.

But you do you.
    Edited by brandonv516 on August 3, 2018 12:33AM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @xGhost91x I think the best thing is to try out some sets. Don't gold anything yet, except weapons, till you find something you like. In general, you're looking for sustain, defense, and offense. As I said I personally, run Pirate, Wiz, Lich, and 2 bonus Willpower. Lich allows me to run two dmg enchants on rings. And I also use the Mage mundus for Magicka bonus rather than Atronach for Magicka regen. With food, I have 26.8k health, 34.5/36.8k Magicka, 16k stam. I like high stam.

I feel that I never run out of resources. I feel tanky as hell with both Wiz and Pirate. And I feel I have enough dmg to either kill or end in a stalemate.

One of the things not being talked about here is Health. In Cyrodiil, I'd say that most players run at least 25k+ Health. I currently am running 26.8k, but I used to run 28k+, which I would have if I wore Skoria over Pirate. I rarely see Magplars under 25k health. If they are, they are using Shields. High health allows room for error and room for ping/lag. I play with 250-300+ ping.

Find your balance :)
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    @maxjapank Did you distribute any attributes into Health to get it that high?
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    @maxjapank Did you distribute any attributes into Health to get it that high?

No. But I have in the past. I'm Argonian so I get a health bonus. And use tri-glyphs and Undaunted passive for 5L 1H 1M. You can always throw a health enchant on a big piece if you don't want to mess with attributes. I've done that before, too.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Ah, I see. My Magplar is a Breton. How many tri-stats do you run?
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All 7 pieces, lol :) But...many people only use them on the 3 big pieces (chest, legs, head). As a Breton, you should have crazy high Magicka. It's a solid race. But you might need to either redistribute attributes for health, or just go 1-2 full health enchants on big pieces.

I play in the Oceanic time zone, so ping and lag are something we Oceanic players must compensate for. And we do that with Health and Mitigation sets. If you got real good ping, you can get away with a lot more.

I'd be interested in knowing from the other posters in here how much Health they run.
    Edited by maxjapank on August 3, 2018 1:29AM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always run between 25 and 30k health at least 18k Stam and 32 to 33k magica depending on the helm I use
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    I've been toying with the idea of running light Shacklebreaker with 7 tri-stat glyphs. It sounds pretty appealing.
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dawn-Bringer, AD Former-Empress, Magplar :wink:

Currently wearing:

2/2 Troll King (Heavy: Helm & Medium: Shoulders)
    5/5 Seducers (Light: Body, Gloves, Waist, Legs, Shoes)
    5/5 Alteration Mastery (Resto/Destro, Neck, & Rings x2)
    Food: Witchmother's Potent Brew.
    Insane recovery build, the heals go on forever. :lol:

I might switch back to War Maiden/Julianos/Skoria when Jesus Beam gets re-buffed.
    I miss my old 4-3-2-1-combo: Purifying Light > Dark Flare > Flame Reach > Radiant Oppression > Dead Target. :lol:

Bar 1: Healing Springs, Healing Ward, Breath of Life, Structured Entropy, Inner Light, and Practiced Incantation.
    Bar 2: Radiant Oppression, Flame Reach, Dark Flare, Purifying Light, Inner Light, and Eye of Flame (or Soul Assault).

I prefer Light Armor over Heavy since block-casting Healing Ward & Breath of Life can counter most burst again you, along with following up with Flame Reach and going on the offensive with said combo above. It's always been a fun, dynamic play-style for me. :smile:
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on August 3, 2018 2:19AM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,900.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

How DARE you speak ill of The Mighty CHUDAN!!!!! monster set...

:trollface:
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 2:54AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PapaWeeb wrote: »
    You'd be running 29k Spell/23k Physical Resist (with 100% maintenance free uptime) with Mighty Chudan x2 (and this is golden when you are attacked unaware)...

No point to go with chudan, rune focus is getting buffed with wolfhunter to give you full uptime of major ward/resolve

And what happens when you are caught off guard? What is Rune doing then?

Absolutely nothing...

With Chudan, your full defenses are up 100% of the time...

In addition, Chudan gives more mitigation than Rune: 8255 Spell/Physical Resist for Chudan vs 5280 Spell/Physical Resist for Rune (Chudan also provides you with a 1206 Health Bonus)...

And the Morph of Rune that gives Minor Protection has this benefit reduced to 4% (instead of the 8% tooltip) due to diminishing returns in CP enabled campaigns, so Chudan wins the mitigation battle against this Morph as well (12% for this Morph of Rune vs 12.5% for Chudan)...

With Chudan, you don't have to think about your defenses, you don't have to cast a buff every 18 or so seconds, and you save a slot (which is very significant)...

With Chudan you are always on guard against a bomber or Nightblade...

You can't say the same about Rune...

So no, Chudan is not a waste by any stretch of the imagination...

A Nightblade isn't gonna kill you in less than a second with their opener, any temp with at least 22k HP is going to have plenty of time to break free and block heal for a second to recover. In fact, I always cleanse before healing when a ganker hits me, that's how safe you are while blocking.

The question isn't Chudan vs Focus, it's Chudan vs the monster set you could be using. You get 10 ability slots but only 1 monster set. Keeping channeled focus on the ground take a portion of your attention, and wanting an easier playstyle with fewer buffs and debuffs to pay attention to is fine, but you're sacrificing power to do so and limiting the raw potential of a build.

Correction, it's:

Chudan + whatever you slot in place of Rune...

Vs

Rune + whatever Monster Helm you use...

Because of this, I disagree with your belief that using Chudan limits your raw potential of a build...

The potential of the build lies not only on the above conflict, but on how well the totality of your build synergies with the individual parts that make it up...

For my build, I slot Elusive Mist in place of Rune...

So, for me I take Chudan + Elusive Mist (and Chudans Defensive Benefits stack with Defense inherent to Mist Form) over Rune and whatever Monster Set any day...

But that's just me...

Fun fact:

By slotting Mist INSTEAD of Rune, you are missing out on the magicka regen you could be getting when slotting Mist AND Rune. Yes, one of the several ways to regen magicka while in Mist Form.

Then you can slot Pirate Skeleton or Blood Spawn and still be very defensive.

But you do you.

Chudan gives more mitigation than Rune (as well as a Health Bonus) and Chudan requires 0 maintenance, so there are pro's and con's to each; Chudan makes you more tanky...period.

And yes I will continue to do me as me works very well...

But I absolutely will clear up this false narrative that Chudan is a bad set; it's awesome with the right build...

:)

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

All 7 pieces, lol :) But...many people only use them on the 3 big pieces (chest, legs, head). As a Breton, you should have crazy high Magicka. It's a solid race. But you might need to either redistribute attributes for health, or just go 1-2 full health enchants on big pieces.

I play in the Oceanic time zone, so ping and lag are something we Oceanic players must compensate for. And we do that with Health and Mitigation sets. If you got real good ping, you can get away with a lot more.

I'd be interested in knowing from the other posters in here how much Health they run.

I'm at 26.1k on both bars with Witchmothers...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brutusmax1mus Skoria, Wizard's, and Transmutation all on one character? Would I have enough damage output to kill anyone? Or did I misread that?

Sure would, you'll be using apprentice and 3x spell damage glyphs since you get 3 recovery from set bonuses. You should be at about 3.6k spell dmg. Youll also have about 15k penetration from light armor passives, weakness to elements, cp. So that is great damage increase to non shielded targets.

It's great solo, I've got tons of clips of you wanna see it, but there is better for solo play. It's among the best 3 set ups for a small group templar though imo.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

You’re going to give up the best sustain skill in the magplar kit and a 2pc monster helm and gain what? Doesn’t get much less efficient than Chudan
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xGhost91x fyi I'm currently in axiom/ shackle/ skoria. Triglyph everything, witch mothers, 3x spell dmg enchants, i waiver between apprentice and atro, typically atro bc jerks use cost poisons. Heavy in bgs always, light or heavy in cyro.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

You’re going to give up the best sustain skill in the magplar kit and a 2pc monster helm and gain what? Doesn’t get much less efficient than Chudan

Wait every Magplar doesn't use Skoria???
    giphy.gif
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

There is give and take for everything...

The question is what are you replacing Rune with and how well does it mesh with the rest of your build...

So what am I giving up Rune and a different Monster Set for?

1) 100% (maintenance free) up time on 8255 Spell/Physical Resist...

2) 1206 Max Health Bonus...

3) Elusive Mist (which benefits greatly from Mighty Chudan; there is strong synergy between the two) and it's Major Expedition, Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, and 75% damage negation...

For me, having an extremely tanky Mist Form is very worthwhile...

Especially since I wear Spectre's Eye (which adds Major Evasion to my Mist Form) which makes my Mist Form even more difficult to destroy...

Besides that, never ever having to worry about or cast a Defensive Buff (Magplars have no Class Buff that gives as much mitigation as Chudan and Chudan provides that mitigation for free with 0 maintenance) has great value...

No one can catch you with your guard down...

You call that inefficient?

I call that very efficient and very valuable...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 9:21AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

The question is what are you replacing Rune with and how well does it mesh with the rest of your build...

3) Elusive Mist (which benefits greatly from Mighty Chudan; there is strong synergy between the two) and it's Major Expedition, Snare/Immobilization/Root immunity, and 75% damage negation...

Especially since I wear Spectre's Eye (which adds Major Evasion to my Mist Form) which makes my Mist Form even more difficult to destroy...

Besides that, never ever having to worry about or cast a Defensive Buff (Magplars have no Class Buff that gives as much mitigation as Chudan and Chudan provides that mitigation for free with 0 maintenance) has great value...

I think where Chudan falls short is if you are pairing it with light armor. It won’t let you get your resistances high enough for it to be a significant advantage since you already have access to the Major through Rune. Bloodspawn/Lord Warden/Pirate Skelly would be better defense sets for a LA build. IMO, of course.

That said, Chudan can shine on a heavy armor build where you want to drop Rune for some other type of ability, like Meditate/Ele Drain/or even more damage.

I actually hate Rune and favor a setup without it. But, I’m currently on the LA hype train so I have to be able to stack Rune on top of a defensive set so Chudan seems inefficient for my LA build.
    Edited by SneaK on August 3, 2018 12:36PM
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Rune alone is superior to Mist since it gives you so damned much sustain, allowing you to build more damage into your build.

You can post a link to a build then I’ll do the same and we can see who has superior stats, it’s impossible to build as efficiently with Chudan as it is without.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Wait every Magplar doesn't use Skoria???
    giphy.gif

The only reason to is if you want to actually kill people and that type of Magplar is an endangered species.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am able to kill without Skoria...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 3, 2018 2:18PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did shackelbreaker and kags this morning so far it seems really solid. 33k mag 20k Stam over 2k unbuffed spell damage.
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan of rune and don't use it in my light armor builds. I think having one defensive set like Wizard's Riposte combined with 1h/shield and healing is enough for defense, and 1800+ magicka regen and lightning heavy attacks for sustain. Bar slots are too valuable and rune was always my first choice to drop when I needed something else on my bar.

Due to the changes of rune next patch, I'll be sure to reconsider after giving it a test run though.
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan is also terrible

You are also terrible...

Rune alone is superior to Mist since it gives you so damned much sustain, allowing you to build more damage into your build.

You can post a link to a build then I’ll do the same and we can see who has superior stats, it’s impossible to build as efficiently with Chudan as it is without.

Rune superior to Elusive Mist!??

Well that's your opinion; I certainly don't agree with it, but to each his own...

As to who has superior stats, that's somewhat opinionated as well as some favor certain stats over others...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    I currently run 5/1/1 light using 2 pirate skele, 5 shackle, 5 wizards with dw willpower swords on front bar.
    Pirate does suffer from being buggy now and again under laggy conditions but it by far the best defensive set that will allow me to be more offensive as I can mitigate alot of damage.

is pirate skeleton good now that you can't cleanse the minor defile? I personally have't tried it yet but have always been gun shy due to the minor defile.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw