Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone use desert rose on thier magplar, im not the biggest fan of staff so considering this set to offer the same lvl of sustain but with my dw set up
    Edited by Syiccal on September 29, 2018 6:23PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be both according to zos. Remember sweeps is a channel, dot and aoe.

Yea it's not an official rulebook with zos.

For example, blade cloak is considered a direct attack even though it's an AOE. Same for proc Det.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Surge probably needs to be tested. It's an oddball proc thatdoes single target damage in an area. Fighting single players it's really strong but relatively weak fighting multiple players.

AOE that doesn't deal it's DMG over a timed duration, is direct DMG.

Surge procs Skoria though, so it's considered a DoT.

Yea. Anything can happen with zos lol.

Another test is if CP master of arms boosts it's and of it procs nerianeth
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    All these new recovery sets and changes to light armor/ channeled rune have me pondering a woodelf magplar w/amberplasm/shacklebreaker/willpower staff/AS SnB for defensive posture and that juicy 1800 magicka return...thoughts?

That could work. Mentioned something similar. Wood elf might be unnecessary though, all depends on your max and spell Damage. Plus penetration.

Why wood elf? Magplar wood elf was my original char at launch and I would looove to go back to that race.

I’m sure he’s choosing wood elf for the synergy it adds to amber and shackle by the way of stam recovery. With that build you’ll easily have over 1k Stam Regen with high magic recovery, a good stam pool, good spell Damage but most likely lack max.

Hmm, same thing with Redguard maybe?

Doesn’t quite work the same but you could still get stam benefits, wood elf gives you 30 percent up front stam regen.

• xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Syiccal wrote: »
    anyone use desert rose on thier magplar, im not the biggest fan of staff so considering this set to offer the same lvl of sustain but with my dw set up

I haven't personally tried it out but I've heard of a few people using Desert Rose. Seems like it could be interesting, though I don't know what you would pair it with.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »

I haven't personally tried it out but I've heard of a few people using Desert Rose. Seems like it could be interesting, though I don't know what you would pair it with.

I've been testing it the last few days combined with pirate skele and trans. As I like to to play BG and use dw my biggest issue was mag sustain, but with this set on it's not a problem I really like it.Ive tried playing with staff but I really don't like being forced into using a destro ability.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge probably needs to be tested. It's an oddball proc thatdoes single target damage in an area. Fighting single players it's really strong but relatively weak fighting multiple players.

Good news is I tested Skoria because I wasn't sure if the hit would be considered an AoE or single target.

It was not affected by 25% Major Evasion on the intital target. Not sure about the splash damage, but that's not really what most are concerned about anyway.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Good news is I tested Skoria because I wasn't sure if the hit would be considered an AoE or single target.

It was not affected by 25% Major Evasion on the intital target. Not sure about the splash damage, but that's not really what most are concerned about anyway.

i'll never understand this skill
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is a direct dot \_(• _ •)_/
    ZoS should review this line between
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here
    Edited by LordSlif on October 1, 2018 5:00AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LordSlif wrote: »
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

As far as I know these are the different types of damage applications there are in the game.

Direct Damage: Melee
    Direct Damage: Ranged
    Direct Damage: Projectile
    Direct Damage: Area of Effect
    Damage over Time: Melee
    Damage over Time: Ranged
    Damage over Time: Projectile
    Damage over Time: Area of Effect

Channels are Ranged Damage over Time. Something like the DoT from Flame Reach for example would have its original direct damage be ranged but its DoT would be "melee" since its applied on the person and stays on them. One big thing to remember is the difference between Direct Damage and Single Target. DoTs can be Single Target and AoE and Direct Damage can be Single Target and AoE. Direct Damage=/=Single Target. Some skills do blur the line, like Jabs for example, its a Melee AoE DoT. You could write that as its own type of damage application but I think its the only one? Not sure, maybe I need to update my list. But yea, maybe this will help a bit.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

As far as I know these are the different types of damage applications there are in the game.

Channels are Ranged Damage over Time. Something like the DoT from Flame Reach for example would have its original direct damage be ranged but its DoT would be "melee" since its applied on the person and stays on them. One big thing to remember is the difference between Direct Damage and Single Target. DoTs can be Single Target and AoE and Direct Damage can be Single Target and AoE. Direct Damage=/=Single Target. Some skills do blur the line, like Jabs for example, its a Melee AoE DoT. You could write that as its own type of damage application but I think its the only one? Not sure, maybe I need to update my list. But yea, maybe this will help a bit.

thats the point direct =/= dot, but there is a limbo in this game and some skils are there. sometimes will works as dot and sometimes as direct.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »

I've been testing it the last few days combined with pirate skele and trans. As I like to to play BG and use dw my biggest issue was mag sustain, but with this set on it's not a problem I really like it.Ive tried playing with staff but I really don't like being forced into using a destro ability.

In my opinion, Desert is an old set for the snb block caster/tank minded Templar - It's by no means a bad set but I wouldn't say it's the best, though someone may well disagree.

(5 items) When you take damage, you have a 15% chance to restore 2408 Magicka. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds.

If you play defensively and look to win fights with an ult, it's probably good - If you're aggressive and hard hitting (Or your group is) then you're going to see less back from the 5 set bonus in my experience and a damage set would be much better.

3 defensive sets in no-CP seems overkill to me.

Think about your sets, combination ideas and how you can recreate the stats you're chasing without sacrificing much - Change food, enchants etc - IMO flat stats are better than chance stats even if they're slightly less.

@Syiccal in BG's on DW I used Clockwork Citrus Fillet and 3 reco enchants, with 3 damage sets and never had sustain or damage issues - The only thing that was sorta low was max stamina, but one heavy with DW or the 2H and I was sorted, you can always get at least 1 heavy in my CC immunity which is enough to break the next.
    Edited by BNOC on October 1, 2018 3:01PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

thats the point direct =/= dot, but there is a limbo in this game and some skils are there. sometimes will works as dot and sometimes as direct.

@LordSlif

Can you give an example of a skill that is both? Other than the obvious ones that have a direct damage bit first and then a DoT like flame reach, those are specifically described as such in their tooltips. Like is there a skill that you know of that will have increased damage from putting points in both Mighty/Elemental Expert and Thaumaturge but is not divided into 2 separate damage attacks?
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    ^ That was my interpretation as well. Still better stats than the health/mag from witchmother's though so if you're good on recovery then it's a viable option.

Goodbye Clockwork Citrus Fillet :(
    Been playing with 7 heavy: 2 tk/slimecraw, martial knowledge, blessed meridia, with snb willpower. 5 sturdy/2 impen. Huge resists, surprisingly sustainable. Atro mundus and two regen glyphs. considering adding swift and race against time for extra mobility or just immovable speed pots might do the trick.

Front bar (currently 2h, I was using fm, but will probably look into destro staff): Toppling/javelin /sweeps/dark flare/radiant/ dawnbreaker.

Back bar: Purifying light/Total dark/ restoring focus/ extended ritual/breath of life/remembrance.

The tactic is to build a house with only so many degrees of access. Hitting 30k resists, with total dark and the meridia proc and natural ability to block makes for decent tankiness, while a toppling charge followed by dawnbreaker usually procs martial knowledge, empowering the dawnbreaker. Not enough mobility for openworld yet.

Any reason why Martial Knowledge?

I tend to think even the very basic Julianos would be a better set, since the 300 SD is up 100% of the time, affects all your skills including heals, and should add more damage than the 2.5% average that Martial would work out to be every 4 seconds, assuming a perfect proc rate.

It would also increase your damage against all enemies in an AoE situation, whereas Martial only affects one enemy every 4 seconds (most proc sets only proc per attack, not per enemy).

If/when I can transmute jewelry I will try that. But my dbos isn't affected by juli at all.

ETA: I'll get my hands on war maiden too, to see if I get better results. So far I am happy tho

Just seen this - I'm running Blessed Meridia in duels atm with War Maiden - More to prove a point to the healbots that stand around duelling all day and do no damage in their defensive builds, simply surviving - Of how easy what they're doing is and how boring it is.

I'm Destro, 2H; Julies is probably better than War Maiden as the Shackle I tested with blessed doesn't provide enough pressure.

Blessed Meridia only affects 1 target though yeah, so outside of trolling duels it can be kind of a waste.

although there may be a similar four piece heavy set out there with a better five piece -- still shopping, bc I'm infatuated with 7 heavy and magicka jewelry, I don't think the proc is a waste at all.

Between that and total dark I can often separately shut down a ranged and a melee attacker for a few seconds, while parked firmly in my house. Both effects allow me to be offensive. If it's against one opponent total dark and meridia are used separately and give me total reign on offense. It's still useful open world because in my experience it's not often you'll pick fights with two or more people you know can clobber you if they have clean shots to do so.

LoS, isolate, 1v1.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

@LordSlif

Can you give an example of a skill that is both? Other than the obvious ones that have a direct damage bit first and then a DoT like flame reach, those are specifically described as such in their tooltips. Like is there a skill that you know of that will have increased damage from putting points in both Mighty/Elemental Expert and Thaumaturge but is not divided into 2 separate damage attacks?

it is not the point... Cps
    look it:
    bubble: Envelop enemy in a lightless sphere, causing x Magic Damage each time they use a *direct damage attack*.

if u cast sweeps inside the bubble it will reflect sweeps

puncturing: Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear dealing x Magic Damage to the closest enemy and x Magic Damage to all other enemies.

So... is it direct or dot? did u get it?
    It is a composition of 4 direct atks, so makes sense it be reflected, we are locked in this skill while we are doing dmg, we cant deal this "dot dmg" plus a direct dmg atk at the same time... it is no "x dmg over y seconds", its x dmg per strike like crushing shock, but not instant.

So... in game Puncturing is a composition of directs atks and its = DoT (cp dot, valkyn... BUT the bubble reflect it)
    Btw its a direct dmg 4 me. LOL

So this is the line.

Please tell me if im wrong in someway
    Edited by LordSlif on October 1, 2018 4:08PM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    ^ That was my interpretation as well. Still better stats than the health/mag from witchmother's though so if you're good on recovery then it's a viable option.

Goodbye Clockwork Citrus Fillet :(
    Been playing with 7 heavy: 2 tk/slimecraw, martial knowledge, blessed meridia, with snb willpower. 5 sturdy/2 impen. Huge resists, surprisingly sustainable. Atro mundus and two regen glyphs. considering adding swift and race against time for extra mobility or just immovable speed pots might do the trick.

Front bar (currently 2h, I was using fm, but will probably look into destro staff): Toppling/javelin /sweeps/dark flare/radiant/ dawnbreaker.

Back bar: Purifying light/Total dark/ restoring focus/ extended ritual/breath of life/remembrance.

The tactic is to build a house with only so many degrees of access. Hitting 30k resists, with total dark and the meridia proc and natural ability to block makes for decent tankiness, while a toppling charge followed by dawnbreaker usually procs martial knowledge, empowering the dawnbreaker. Not enough mobility for openworld yet.

Any reason why Martial Knowledge?

I tend to think even the very basic Julianos would be a better set, since the 300 SD is up 100% of the time, affects all your skills including heals, and should add more damage than the 2.5% average that Martial would work out to be every 4 seconds, assuming a perfect proc rate.

It would also increase your damage against all enemies in an AoE situation, whereas Martial only affects one enemy every 4 seconds (most proc sets only proc per attack, not per enemy).

If/when I can transmute jewelry I will try that. But my dbos isn't affected by juli at all.

ETA: I'll get my hands on war maiden too, to see if I get better results. So far I am happy tho

Just seen this - I'm running Blessed Meridia in duels atm with War Maiden - More to prove a point to the healbots that stand around duelling all day and do no damage in their defensive builds, simply surviving - Of how easy what they're doing is and how boring it is.

I'm Destro, 2H; Julies is probably better than War Maiden as the Shackle I tested with blessed doesn't provide enough pressure.

Blessed Meridia only affects 1 target though yeah, so outside of trolling duels it can be kind of a waste.

although there may be a similar four piece heavy set out there with a better five piece -- still shopping, bc I'm infatuated with 7 heavy and magicka jewelry, I don't think the proc is a waste at all.

Between that and total dark I can often separately shut down a ranged and a melee attacker for a few seconds, while parked firmly in my house. Both effects allow me to be offensive. If it's against one opponent total dark and meridia are used separately and give me total reign on offense. It's still useful open world because in my experience it's not often you'll pick fights with two or more people you know can clobber you if they have clean shots to do so.

LoS, isolate, 1v1.

Yeah that's fair enough! I personally just don't like it for open world - though it's rare these days that when I do venture into Cyro, I'm not in a small man fighting zergs as opposed to catching 1v1/1v2's or whatever solo.

In Duels and 1v1's I can't question it, it's a bit gay to use but against big burst types (magblade etc) it completely kills their window over and over again to the point where I can just stand, block and casually proc it for hours on end maybe chucking in a couple of sword heavy attacks.

With that, for what you're talking about I agree, it's awesome and umm.. frustrating for the enemy to say the least :D and if it's working for you with bigger groups than 2/3 then props to you for figuring it out!

Edited by BNOC on October 1, 2018 4:16PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

@LordSlif

look it:
    bubble: Envelop enemy in a lightless sphere, causing x Magic Damage each time they use a *direct damage attack*.

puncturing: Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear dealing x Magic Damage to the closest enemy and x Magic Damage to all other enemies.

It is a composition of 4 direct atks, so makes sense it be reflected, we are locked in this skill while we are doing dmg, we cant deal this "dot dmg" plus a direct dmg atk at the same time... it is no "x dmg over y seconds", its x dmg per strike like crushing shock, but not instant.

So... in game Puncturing is a composition of directs atks and its = DoT (cp dot, valkyn... BUT the bubble reflect it)

So this is the line.

you'll have to make sure burning light isnt the proc on that. From some forum investigating I found some posts that said jabs/sweeps turns into a "direct attack" for the application of burning light. IDK if this was tested or not, but burning light is direct damage and would be the culprit in procing total dark not sweeps/jabs dmg itself.

More info; a stam sorc in another thread couldnt understand why his hurricane was procing against total dark. What I found out he was using rending slashes and it has 3 direct dmg components before it becomes the thamaturge scaled dot (initial hit, application hit for snare and first tick of the DOT). It is my understanding, that the game cannot just make attacks appear out of thin air, DOTS almost ALWAYS have their first hit scale off direct damage because the game is hitting your target directly and then applying it's damage over time component. This logic is confirmed with elemental enchants procing their status effect; you get a little mini dmg from the enchant which because of elemental resistance can make your toon immune to that status effect (like nords against frost enchants are immune to chilled from that enchant; their resistance "cancels" the dmg that is used by the game to apply status effects to targets).

Hope this makes sense.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So swift nerf and impreg nerf will hurt my magplar. Was toying with running light with no shields but think it might be beyond pushing it now. Maybe replace skoria for Bloodspawn or Troll king to go with impreg. Or I can just jump in a ball group and swap out to transmutation and earthgore for my magplar and leave my stamblade for solo play and surfing.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    All these new recovery sets and changes to light armor/ channeled rune have me pondering a woodelf magplar w/amberplasm/shacklebreaker/willpower staff/AS SnB for defensive posture and that juicy 1800 magicka return...thoughts?

That could work. Mentioned something similar. Wood elf might be unnecessary though, all depends on your max and spell Damage. Plus penetration.

Why wood elf? Magplar wood elf was my original char at launch and I would looove to go back to that race.

I’m sure he’s choosing wood elf for the synergy it adds to amber and shackle by the way of stam recovery. With that build you’ll easily have over 1k Stam Regen with high magic recovery, a good stam pool, good spell Damage but most likely lack max.

Doesn’t quite work the same but you could still get stam benefits, wood elf gives you 30 percent up front stam regen.

I am thinking more and more about changing my Stamplar to a Bosmer Magicka Templar because of the above. I know this is a Templar forum, but couldn't this also apply to Nightblade? I mean the sneak/poison/disease benefits on top of the stam could be a win for both classes.
    @ElizabethInTamriel; @ElizabethInESO
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    So swift nerf and impreg nerf will hurt my magplar. Was toying with running light with no shields but think it might be beyond pushing it now. Maybe replace skoria for Bloodspawn or Troll king to go with impreg. Or I can just jump in a ball group and swap out to transmutation and earthgore for my magplar and leave my stamblade for solo play and surfing.

What are the nerfs to Impreg and Swift?
    NA/PC
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Impreg cut down from 2500 to 2000 golded out

Swift reduced from 10% to 6% per piece of gold jewelry.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

Wow okay. I get the Swift nerf but Impreg??? It's been a thing for a what a year now? Boooooo!
    NA/PC
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose we should be happy that impreg really only got lightly tapped with the nerf hammer. I saw some people wanting it to be closer to transmutation
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose we should be happy that impreg really only got lightly tapped with the nerf hammer. I saw some people wanting it to be closer to transmutation

Really??? I guess we should just run around naked in Cyro then that will solve everything! LOL
    NA/PC
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gawdammmn

I was just about to unlock my swift research too.

I mean it's still worth it, but I guess only if you commit to all 3 pieces.

Rough...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's like people don't know you can have 100% uptime on Transmutation plus the group buff... Impreg should be stronger since it's a self buff only.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like people don't know you can have 100% uptime on Transmutation plus the group buff... Impreg should be stronger since it's a self buff only.

They only read feedback and changed it. I doubt they really tested it otherwise they would have made sweeping changes to crit dmg across the board to match the 500 resist nerf (or buffed impen values to compensate).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking more and more about changing my Stamplar to a Bosmer Magicka Templar because of the above. I know this is a Templar forum, but couldn't this also apply to Nightblade? I mean the sneak/poison/disease benefits on top of the stam could be a win for both classes.

Wood elf’s are good for stam nbs too. If you make a bosmer magplar you’d have to always make a build that compliments high stam. That’s why running it with amber or shackle plus mag bp doesn’t sound so bad. But if you stray from this build type it won’t be as beneficial and you’d be better off running typical mag races.

Edited by CatchMeTrolling on October 1, 2018 7:09PM
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

@LordSlif

look it:

So this is the line.

you'll have to make sure burning light isnt the proc on that. From some forum investigating I found some posts that said jabs/sweeps turns into a "direct attack" for the application of burning light. IDK if this was tested or not, but burning light is direct damage and would be the culprit in procing total dark not sweeps/jabs dmg itself.

More info; a stam sorc in another thread couldnt understand why his hurricane was procing against total dark. What I found out he was using rending slashes and it has 3 direct dmg components before it becomes the thamaturge scaled dot (initial hit, application hit for snare and first tick of the DOT). It is my understanding, that the game cannot just make attacks appear out of thin air, DOTS almost ALWAYS have their first hit scale off direct damage because the game is hitting your target directly and then applying it's damage over time component. This logic is confirmed with elemental enchants procing their status effect; you get a little mini dmg from the enchant which because of elemental resistance can make your toon immune to that status effect (like nords against frost enchants are immune to chilled from that enchant; their resistance "cancels" the dmg that is used by the game to apply status effects to targets).

Hope this makes sense.

yup ure right, but @Minno
    edit: ignore this
    Edited by LordSlif on October 1, 2018 9:35PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoT 《Channeling》 Direct
    Templars are ^here

@LordSlif

@LordSlif

look it:

So this is the line.

Hope this makes sense.

yup ure right, but @Minno look this https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgnbTcTXhE9eiipbVl1kIrYH9TXx

That actually is different than what I was describing. I commented in another thread where you post this vid, but I will reply here for consistency.

Jesus beam is a single target ability and deals it's damage over time via a channel. Therefore it will proc both skoria and calurions.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual