Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    I mean, with sweeps you may have a target in your mind, but that has to change if some idiot is sitting in your damage while your chosen target isn’t.

Well im tired of playing with a telegraph burst. This makes sense in a way, especially if I have access to WOE or prox det for fighting more than 1 target.

I’m playing around with meditate, race against time, swift on 2h builds. I haven’t found one I love but I’m thinking Alch+Julianos+Balorgh(VMA resto back bar?), kite and get the burst off quick then kite and meditate.

I just think swift and balorgh have such great synergy, you actually get nice benefits from setting up fights and using LoS/positioning to get into good situations and then ulti dump.

You hitting that 2h HA right before your ulti? Wondering how hard it could hit.

Last time I ran magplar I was having fun when I could catch a flag stack with time stop as I gap closed in with a meteor. If they saw me coming it would be over quick but if you pull it offf, it causes players to panic. Wonder if I could get a proxy in there and be better equipped with swift
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I mean, with sweeps you may have a target in your mind, but that has to change if some idiot is sitting in your damage while your chosen target isn’t.

Well im tired of playing with a telegraph burst. This makes sense in a way, especially if I have access to WOE or prox det for fighting more than 1 target.

I’m playing around with meditate, race against time, swift on 2h builds. I haven’t found one I love but I’m thinking Alch+Julianos+Balorgh(VMA resto back bar?), kite and get the burst off quick then kite and meditate.

I just think swift and balorgh have such great synergy, you actually get nice benefits from setting up fights and using LoS/positioning to get into good situations and then ulti dump.

Last time I ran magplar I was having fun when I could catch a flag stack with time stop as I gap closed in with a meteor. If they saw me coming it would be over quick but if you pull it offf, it causes players to panic. Wonder if I could get a proxy in there and be better equipped with swift

It really depends, hitting the 2h heavy is less important than having det and DB hit the maximum number of enemies and as close to the same time as possible. But if you can line up the heavy and land all the burst on enough targets and timed properly then there’s no reason not to.

I don’t like meteor personally because it’s even harder to time, but that speaks more to my skill than it’s value
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 11, 2018 12:04AM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone try pariah/overwhelming/skoria? Need something to replace wizard with.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

Yep. Stats aren't great, but it's quite tanky and the procs help round out offense.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know what I'd replace Riposte's with...

;,,,,;
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends, hitting the 2h heavy is less important than having det and DB hit the maximum number of enemies and as close to the same time as possible. But if you can line up the heavy and land all the burst on enough targets and timed properly then there’s no reason not to.

I don’t like meteor personally because it’s even harder to time, but that speaks more to my skill than it’s value

I mostly for the emergency stamina restore. At least after you use it you'll be rewarded with a 10% stronger ultimate.

What other sets have you tried for Swift magplar?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    I only run Purifying on ranged builds or in groups. I started to feel like it made my offense too predictable

Exactly why I never got into using it that much. It's extremely predictable.

And if you rely on it, especially when also relying on sweeps then it’s hard to get enough damage.

It’s really OP in groups

I mostly for the emergency stamina restore. At least after you use it you'll be rewarded with a 10% stronger ultimate.

Trans+Spinners/Maiden/Alch 2x willpower and balorgh for group play with a Stamden using Guard.

Heavy Shackle+Alch/Spinner solo

I think Balorgh is BiS for sure for the swift playstyle. I think Alchemist has the best synergy with Balorgh.

I think 2h+Lightning Destro is probably most well equipped but I have 1 gold lightning Destro and it’s Spinners which isn’t great with Alch+Balorgh because your heals are really low during the downtime and that means even more kiting than the already heavy kiting you’re doing. But Lightning wall-Barrage-DB-Det-Sweeps is a lot to deal with when you can potentially hit 4.5k+ Spell damage.

I’m all about building for speed on everything now and just kite-big bomb with balorgh-repeat. Zergs aren’t going away so I want to build bursty groups with insane mobility. Gonna be setting up Stamden, Stam Sorc, Mageblade, and Magplar that way and just kite and bomb until the meta is more fun.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 11, 2018 4:18AM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    I only run Purifying on ranged builds or in groups. I started to feel like it made my offense too predictable

Exactly why I never got into using it that much. It's extremely predictable.

And if you rely on it, especially when also relying on sweeps then it’s hard to get enough damage.

It’s really OP in groups

Trans+Spinners/Maiden/Alch 2x willpower and balorgh for group play with a Stamden using Guard.

Heavy Shackle+Alch/Spinner solo

I think Balorgh is BiS for sure for the swift playstyle. I think Alchemist has the best synergy with Balorgh.

I think 2h+Lightning Destro is probably most well equipped but I have 1 gold lightning Destro and it’s Spinners which isn’t great with Alch+Balorgh because your heals are really low during the downtime and that means even more kiting than the already heavy kiting you’re doing. But Lightning wall-Barrage-DB-Det-Sweeps is a lot to deal with when you can potentially hit 4.5k+ Spell damage.

I’m all about building for speed on everything now and just kite-big bomb with balorgh-repeat. Zergs aren’t going away so I want to build bursty groups with insane mobility. Gonna be setting up Stamden, Stam Sorc, Mageblade, and Magplar that way and just kite and bomb until the meta is more fun.

I've considered Alchemist/Spriggans/Balorgh on a Stamden personally.
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why replace Wizard's? It's about as effective as before if you're going to run it on both bars.
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea I dropped willpower and now double bar wizards, not a great deal lost in terms of dmg but still have close to 100% uptime on wizards now which is more important to me
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno
    I would swap honor the dead to your ice staff bar and degeneration on the frontbar for more effectiveness. This will result in a little bit more magicka and regen on the fronbar, so more damage and allows more effective blockcasting of bol/htd on the ice staff bar.

The shacklebreaker/amberplasm build surely is strong, but works open world only on argonians and builds with staves or on non-vampires. The build is more oriented for duels actually, since in open world there are more important things than raw stats and recovery. I ran that build since it was possible to run it (so Morrowind, since shacklebreaker came with it) and used amberplasm way before that. But nowadays I only use amberplasm for duels, otherwise I drop it, since it does not fit my playstyle.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps because purifying light is a clunky ability. I use it to finish off enemies since I don’t use beam

That is my understanding. The other is lexy is rolling staves and has access to a different setup than us sword-cousins.

If you use grothdarr, and can stick around your target, you probably won't need to do much to add into purying light either.
    If only grothdarr snared ;)

Well, on a melee setup I’m generally gearing for AoE damage since being in melee range tends to end up with enemies piling up. Purifying Light is less useful when you’re seriously outnumbered and don’t have big ranged damage since you can’t fill it’s damage as easily by just applying lots of DoTs at range. It also is a big warning to CC you, when outnumbered it only takes 1 smart player to see that big beam from the sky and know that CC’ing you is going to make you reset.

It’s just too easy to mitigate against melee builds. Builds that don’t use sweeps get a lot more weave damage and usually have more DoTs as well, this makes it harder to neutralize PL, there’s always a good bit of outgoing damage whereas you can just kite sweeps and CC and the PL explosion won’t be threatening.

I've actually been thinking of dropping it for similar reasons. Great skill but way too obvious. What do you use for your melee bar setup?

Edit: I'm actually considering dropping Toppling Charge as well in favor of Acceleration. Maybe some kind of AoE CC would be in order, like Volcanic Rune. Until they fix charge it has just become a pain to use...
    Edited by Datolite on September 11, 2018 12:38PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    @Minno
    I would swap honor the dead to your ice staff bar and degeneration on the frontbar for more effectiveness. This will result in a little bit more magicka and regen on the fronbar, so more damage and allows more effective blockcasting of bol/htd on the ice staff bar.

The shacklebreaker/amberplasm build surely is strong, but works open world only on argonians and builds with staves or on non-vampires. The build is more oriented for duels actually, since in open world there are more important things than raw stats and recovery. I ran that build since it was possible to run it (so Morrowind, since shacklebreaker came with it) and used amberplasm way before that. But nowadays I only use amberplasm for duels, otherwise I drop it, since it does not fit my playstyle.

Odd ice bar htd was what I did have before I saved it and closed outof the editor. Maybe it didn't save :(.

Thanks though!!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a mistake to drop Purifying Light. Delayed burst is quite good, it doesn't miss, and it heals you (and allies).
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a mistake to drop Purifying Light. Delayed burst is quite good, it doesn't miss, and it heals you (and allies).

I personally can't find a use for it beyond 1v1s and 1vxes. It's impossible to get good enough damage off of it while outnumbered and in a group you usually are wading through enemies and can't single target one down when there are so many. Duels, yeah it's godly. But when in open world can you sit there and do a pve dungeon rotation on an enemy?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally can't find a use for it beyond 1v1s and 1vxes. It's impossible to get good enough damage off of it while outnumbered and in a group you usually are wading through enemies and can't single target one down when there are so many. Duels, yeah it's godly. But when in open world can you sit there and do a pve dungeon rotation on an enemy?

In a way, Unstable Core replaces it for outnumbered fights. You only need to pop it once and it's burst damage will always be the 10k tooltip across all targets in the range.

I agree that purfying light could be replaced by other abilities to help offset those situations.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a way, Unstable Core replaces it for outnumbered fights. You only need to pop it once and it's burst damage will always be the 10k tooltip across all targets in the range.

I agree that purfying light could be replaced by other abilities to help offset those situations.

I personally prefer total dark. I get like 8.5k crit heals from it every hit. That is too good to pass up imo.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally prefer total dark. I get like 8.5k crit heals from it every hit. That is too good to pass up imo.

I wanted to like Total Dark, and in some cases liked it. But I started to fight enemies running immovable pots; enough of them to go back to UC for the burst damage component that doesn't care if your enemy has the CC immunity.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    total dark is a non mover on my bar , it's so good for the heals alone. that is what magplars struggle with HOT, total dark gives us this.
    it's also very satisfying watching players kill them selves.
    Even the good players that know how to deal with still have to break rotation mid burst on me to break it, usually after at least 1-2 ticks of dmg on them and heals for me, this allows time for me to recover and go offensive
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a mistake because the vast majority of magplars who maybe reading this thread looking for advice is not going to spend the majority of their time Cyrodiil in a 1v3. In every other situation, the skill as you say is godly. If I'm in a 1v1 Vs. a player of my skill caliber or above, I absolutely want this skill on my bar and that's a good enough reason for it to have a permanent place on it.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For good players i do not like total dark at all, I prefer a real stun there, which may also provide a buff or debuff. That is why i still run reverb bash in duels, where i cast this right after puryfying light to go into jabs after the stun.
    All in all I always have puryfying light slotted for the case to run into a decent enemy in open world, where this skill helps out so much to burst through shields or providing the damage before you can go for the execute. For a similar reason I do not use total dark in open world, since I can kill noobs without that skills and against competitive players I do not see any reason to use it. Therefore I slot accelerating drain for open world, which also provides a speed buff, which stacks with mist form.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to like Total Dark, and in some cases liked it. But I started to fight enemies running immovable pots; enough of them to go back to UC for the burst damage component that doesn't care if your enemy has the CC immunity.

I've ran Unstable Core for 2 patches and agree it's more versatile skill and will get you kills you would not have got with Total Dark.

I've ran Total Dark this patch and it's clear to me that it has a much higher potential and thus the superior morph. Sure, I'll lose some kills I otherwise would have had and it is *really* irritating to want to use this skill and see it blacked out because of CC immunity, but this skill can keep a templar alive in a way that Unstable Core is incapable of doing.

The way I see it is that Unstable Core is the better Xv1 morph whereas Total Dark is better at 1vX.

I think Unstable needs to have a stronger damage component and Total Dark should still do some damage if not cleansed, as getting CC immunity for no damage taken and never losing control of their character is too easy as a counter
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division do you find yourself in a lot of fights against good players 1v1 open world? When I’m solo I usually get engaged either by the try-hard small group or by the bloodthirsty zerglings that see a solo player and think they might get a free 130 AP if they follow me spamming snipe/dark flare/reach/rune cage/resto heavies.

I don’t know man, it just seems like the only fights available are against zergs and its making me feel like building for anything but that just leaves me with egg on my face.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 11, 2018 5:34PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone else play dw/resto, I been experimenting with it. the idea is that resto passivs for healing are quiet strong, lights champion and resto heavy make it possible better choice than s+b
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've ran Unstable Core for 2 patches and agree it's more versatile skill and will get you kills you would not have got with Total Dark.

I've ran Total Dark this patch and it's clear to me that it has a much higher potential and thus the superior morph. Sure, I'll lose some kills I otherwise would have had and it is *really* irritating to want to use this skill and see it blacked out because of CC immunity, but this skill can keep a templar alive in a way that Unstable Core is incapable of doing.

The way I see it is that Unstable Core is the better Xv1 morph whereas Total Dark is better at 1vX.

I think Unstable needs to have a stronger damage component and Total Dark should still do some damage if not cleansed, as getting CC immunity for no damage taken and never losing control of their character is too easy as a counter

In a way neither are Xv1 abilities. If you just go ahead and spam UC, all you are doing is giving cc immunity while the damage is just 10K burst with a small radius, and you'll be giving certain targets the ability to avoid a coordinated dawnbreaker stun dump (plus it's a pain to single target people you don't want the cc immunity to hit).

Both are still "I need to apply this at a certain point" abilities. For UC, it's right when you want to CC using another ability or against immovable pot users timing it so you can CC them when the burst happens. For TD, it's right in the middle of their offensive combo so they actually have to stop.

For a pure DPS ability that scales better in outnumbered fights, UC+TD are not this but they server different functions.
    I do agree that TD needs a persistent effect or dmg after cc break if it's going to cause cc imunity, and UC just needs to have it's CC immunity removed entirely with minor berserk added because it synergizes with our extra damage on block and templars need this buff to be competitive in a way (and in effect the redirective damage removed). But this can only happen if templars get that defensive mechanic back (or sun shield buff).

Video reminder to those that remember how effective the old UC burst was, but only needed to be unblockable in order to make it attractive (warning it includes terrible speed and crappy templar ultimate):
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Hammy01
    Hammy01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Definitely can see restoring rune over channeled with all the recovery buffs your sets give you + witchmothers. And atro mundus or something else?

atro, tri food, ele drain and tri pots is what I am using. I am imperial though, so the health/stam boosts work great with shackle/tri food.

Edit:
    here's the info. Ultimates can swap around for what you need (like adding dawnbreaker over beserker rage for the stun). If you use spell power pots, can swap degeneration for inner light for extra max mag. Can also swap around vamps bane with degeration if you have a race with max mag stats.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=49583

How does Imperial get you 19K stam?

Edit: nevermind. I'm getting almost 17K on a Nord wo/ Shackle.

Wrobel take note: we are all using Total Dark bc/ we'd rather play Russian Roulette than use Unstable Unspectacular Core.

Quick question but what is wrong with Unstable Core? I actually like using it over Total Dark as I enjoy the extra aoe damage instead of the heal. I enjoy throwing it on multiple people while they are balled up and then watch the explosions go off :). Maybe I am missing something about this skill? Is the heal really to good to pass up?

For my current set I am using Shackle breaker and Kagrenacs Hope with Domihaus monster set. I like to run dual destro atm so I sometimes will pair Kags with Destro mastery or Shackle and Destro Mastery. I tend to fair ok even though I am only about 400 CP and not that great of a player.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purifying light is great tool for groups ...

Sounds dumb but as tanager damage dealer you can fire it twice at same target creating the healing pool which triggers transmutation ...

Sometimes when I see a team mate in a fight but I can't switch to a healer to help them I will use this tactic ... With a light attack between the two and a vamp bane after the second ...

Definitely a must have if you're a team player and not selfish
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    anyone else play dw/resto, I been experimenting with it. the idea is that resto passivs for healing are quiet strong, lights champion and resto heavy make it possible better choice than s+b

staff 12% extra healing on low health, stacks with our resto tree passive. So if you blockcast BOL/HTD on your resto bar, youll get a little tiny mag back but youll also 24% extra healing (at 1% health lol). And rapid regen/lights champion directly counter bleeds so it's good.

You do lose out on ele drain, but one sharp sword in light armor should help for the penetration lose a little. And the heavy attack regen is really nice if you can fight an enemy that doesnt know how to block the final resto tick.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division do you find yourself in a lot of fights against good players 1v1 open world? When I’m solo I usually get engaged either by the try-hard small group or by the bloodthirsty zerglings that see a solo player and think they might get a free 130 AP if they follow me spamming snipe/dark flare/reach/rune cage/resto heavies.

I don’t know man, it just seems like the only fights available are against zergs and its making me feel like building for anything but that just leaves me with egg on my face.

Even on Vivec, I do find myself in enough solitary fights that I want the best skills suitable to win them. If Purifying Light was only good in a 1v1 situation, then it would give me pause, but the spell is even better for smaller group stuff like BGs and objective fights involving numerous combatants so it's hard for me to think that there are 10 better skills for a default templar bar. Even if you are just paired with one other person and you've got 8 tryhards zerging you down, Purifying Light is going to be a useful spell because it can help your partner focus on an enemy and heal you both.

As far as the idea of warning my opponent that they are going to take a lot of damage, well, we aren;t Nightblades that specialize in sudden non-telegraphed bursts and utterly lack an ultimate that might be capable of such, so I'm not sure I see the advantage of disguising my intentions, especially since if I'm not casting purifying light, I'm still going to either jabbing them in the face and spamming elemental Weapon at them.

I'm not saying a templar can't be successful not using it, but the spell is really good in many situations, which is precisely the sort of skill that I would recommend people use.
    Hammy01 wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Definitely can see restoring rune over channeled with all the recovery buffs your sets give you + witchmothers. And atro mundus or something else?

atro, tri food, ele drain and tri pots is what I am using. I am imperial though, so the health/stam boosts work great with shackle/tri food.

Edit:
    here's the info. Ultimates can swap around for what you need (like adding dawnbreaker over beserker rage for the stun). If you use spell power pots, can swap degeneration for inner light for extra max mag. Can also swap around vamps bane with degeration if you have a race with max mag stats.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=49583

How does Imperial get you 19K stam?

Edit: nevermind. I'm getting almost 17K on a Nord wo/ Shackle.

Wrobel take note: we are all using Total Dark bc/ we'd rather play Russian Roulette than use Unstable Unspectacular Core.

Quick question but what is wrong with Unstable Core? I actually like using it over Total Dark as I enjoy the extra aoe damage instead of the heal. I enjoy throwing it on multiple people while they are balled up and then watch the explosions go off :). Maybe I am missing something about this skill? Is the heal really to good to pass up?

For my current set I am using Shackle breaker and Kagrenacs Hope with Domihaus monster set. I like to run dual destro atm so I sometimes will pair Kags with Destro mastery or Shackle and Destro Mastery. I tend to fair ok even though I am only about 400 CP and not that great of a player.

Unstable Core is better in the scenario you described: if there are multiple enemies I want to put the bomb on, provided, of course, I am not being attacked by said multiple enemies.

The reason I like the other morph better is that if I am being attacked by multiple people, the strong heal provided by Total Dark is going to help me a lot more some moderate extra AoE damage.
    Edited by Joy_Division on September 12, 2018 4:15AM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the Elegance set or Empower synergize well with Elemental Weapon?