Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Ok so after running for a couple weeks I have decided

Total dark - trash skill, potato masher, free cc immunity for people with brains, only useful as a bait skill in duels

I disagree if you hit them with Stam cost posion first it's very helpful or if you can it land just as there about to burst it will save you every time.

If you just randomly fire it into a large group you can move around alot safer because someone will keep spamming there bow and healing you the entire time.

Yeah I mean it's nice at times. But as a hard cc that gives cc immunity on breaking it was lacking for me. Anyone with half a brain just insta breaks it, and all you accomplish is giving cc immunity. Yeah you can catch people out sometimes who smell blood and go full offensive like say the magnb who starts impaling you at execute range.

I just haven't found it reliable cc. Too nitch, has to be used a specific way, countered by 1 button, doesn't even need to be broken, heal/shield through effect. Idk just very lack luster from my experience.
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Total dark - trash skill, potato masher, free cc immunity for people with brains, only useful as a bait skill in duels

I disagree if you hit them with Stam cost posion first it's very helpful or if you can it land just as there about to burst it will save you every time.

If you just randomly fire it into a large group you can move around alot safer because someone will keep spamming there bow and healing you the entire time.

Yeah I mean it's nice at times. But as a hard cc that gives cc immunity on breaking it was lacking for me. Anyone with half a brain just insta breaks it, and all you accomplish is giving cc immunity. Yeah you can catch people out sometimes who smell blood and go full offensive like say the magnb who starts impaling you at execute range.

I just haven't found it reliable cc. Too nitch, has to be used a specific way, countered by 1 button, doesn't even need to be broken, heal/shield through effect. Idk just very lack luster from my experience.

I do agree with you on alot of that but we don't have to many options as templars. Every one plays different by i still find it more useful then flame/shock reach.

I don't run mist form at all any more and total dark has saved me numerous times in those situations you mist away or die slowly trying to mist away.
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've found Total Dark particularly useful against the AD on Sotha Sil (PC/NA). I had around 5-6 KBs from it in one evening of play last week.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I've found Total Dark particularly useful against the AD on Sotha Sil (PC/NA). I had around 5-6 KBs from it in one evening of play last week.

Ad has alot of bow spammers on every camp just hit one of them with it and you get alot of incoming healz :D
    Options
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Light armor Templar is surprisingly survivable and hits very hard. I could never use light armor before I must have had a few l2p moments in the last month or 2 :D

A Light Armor Templar can be nearly unkillable if you design the character to be so...

And keep in mind that no matter how much Defense you pack into your Light Armor Templar, you will still enjoy the benefits that come with 5 Light...

Namely 10% Spell Crit (which is superior to Mothers Sorrows 5th piece bonus) and 4800+ Spell Penetration (which is superior to Spinners 5th piece bonus)...

You don't even need to stack defensive sets either i just use blood spawn mostly for the ult Gen and Stam regen. I think my problem was up until now I simply wasn't good enough to get away with light armor.

Moar dawn breakers B)

I have so many variations of shacklebreaker I could easily swap out my heavy set for light and sub bloodspawn. Although I had tons of fun last night with my heavy armor templar.

YAY MagTemplars!!
    @ElizabethInTamriel; @ElizabethInESO
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Any opinions on Two-Handed front bar and Resto back bar? I could use Forward Momentum and Resto Ult and drop vamp altogether.
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor Templar is surprisingly survivable and hits very hard. I could never use light armor before I must have had a few l2p moments in the last month or 2 :D

A Light Armor Templar can be nearly unkillable if you design the character to be so...

And keep in mind that no matter how much Defense you pack into your Light Armor Templar, you will still enjoy the benefits that come with 5 Light...

Namely 10% Spell Crit (which is superior to Mothers Sorrows 5th piece bonus) and 4800+ Spell Penetration (which is superior to Spinners 5th piece bonus)...

You don't even need to stack defensive sets either i just use blood spawn mostly for the ult Gen and Stam regen. I think my problem was up until now I simply wasn't good enough to get away with light armor.

Moar dawn breakers B)

I have so many variations of shacklebreaker I could easily swap out my heavy set for light and sub bloodspawn. Although I had tons of fun last night with my heavy armor templar.

YAY MagTemplars!!

Heavy is a ton of fun for the beating you can take and quick healz back to full. I'm just loving the massive damage I'm pumping out now with light armor.
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    Any opinions on Two-Handed front bar and Resto back bar? I could use Forward Momentum and Resto Ult and drop vamp altogether.

I've tried it but when I'm heavily pressured and don't have resto ult up you end up with no real way to defend yourself.

Block casting healz with ice Staff or S&B is just so strong a defence.
    Options
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do agree with you on alot of that but we don't have to many options as templars. Every one plays different by i still find it more useful then flame/shock reach.

I don't run mist form at all any more and total dark has saved me numerous times in those situations you mist away or die slowly trying to mist away.

Lol yeah we could be worse off when it comes to class cc.....

*looks at wardens
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol yeah we could be worse off when it comes to class cc.....

*looks at wardens

Yea at least we have knockdown and knock backs. Any time I see a mag warden running a troll/tank/defile build to kill people I don't even blame them what other options do they even have.
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x

I've tried it but when I'm heavily pressured and don't have resto ult up you end up with no real way to defend yourself.

Ah, gotcha. I'm just trying to find something new to try. I've even considered using Sword and Board on front bar and Destro on back and using Reverb Bash as my CC on front bar. I'm just worried that I'll lose too much damage.
    Yesterday I decided to try 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 Wizard's Riposte, 5 Kagrenac's Hope (5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy), with a lightning destro on front bar and sword and shield on back bar.
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, gotcha. I'm just trying to find something new to try. I've even considered using Sword and Board on front bar and Destro on back and using Reverb Bash as my CC on front bar. I'm just worried that I'll lose too much damage.
    Yesterday I decided to try 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 Wizard's Riposte, 5 Kagrenac's Hope (5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy), with a lightning destro on front bar and sword and shield on back bar.

I have done everything you mentioned here magplar can play a ton of different ways so just keep trying stuff until you find what suits you best. I went through 14 thousand builds until I found a set up that works really well for me.
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve been using this build lately which was recommended by a friend. Since I mainly play nonCP I tweaked it by switching to defensive monster pieces, would switch back to skoria in cp.

UMBSmQZ.jpg

This buffed stats with cp while fighting a training dummy so no battle spirit. For non cp it’s more like 21k health. 29.5k magicka, 13.5k stamina. The regen is a little rough so you could add a second regen glyph. A vma resto back bar is possible but makes for harder skill choices. Blue food instead of purple is an option if you want to risk playing with less stam in a ranged build.
    • PC/NA
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x

I have done everything you mentioned here magplar can play a ton of different ways so just keep trying stuff until you find what suits you best. I went through 14 thousand builds until I found a set up that works really well for me.

It's definitely an eye-opener. My Stamplar was cut and dry (2 Troll King or Bloodspawn, 5 Ravager, 5 Bone Pirate). Magplar has sooooo many variations.
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    So what would be a good trait for a back bar Resto staff?
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Infused or nirn. Depends on your set up really. I'd probably go infused.
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Awesome. That's what I was leaning towards. Now I just have to think of a good enchant for it.
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If your squishier on that bar defending can be good to unless your in heavy with good defense stats
    Options
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x

If your squishier on that bar defending can be good to unless your in heavy with good defense stats

I'm in 5 light, but I'm running Pirate Skeleton and Wizard's Riposte.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The regen is a little rough so you could add a second regen glyph. A vma resto back bar is possible but makes for harder skill choices.

I've become pretty sold on VMA resto backbar for open world solo magplar if you're using any of the channeled/cast time abilities(which it looks like you aren't atm). The extra HoT, while it feels silly on a magplar, helps you lock in those channels longer, and the sustain is pretty nice.

It does choke up your bars, which is...not fun.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been using this build lately which was recommended by a friend. Since I mainly play nonCP I tweaked it by switching to defensive monster pieces, would switch back to skoria in cp.

UMBSmQZ.jpg

This buffed stats with cp while fighting a training dummy so no battle spirit. For non cp it’s more like 21k health. 29.5k magicka, 13.5k stamina. The regen is a little rough so you could add a second regen glyph. A vma resto back bar is possible but makes for harder skill choices. Blue food instead of purple is an option if you want to risk playing with less stam in a ranged build.

Spamming Reflective Light gives about the same DPS as crushing Shock. Unless you are desperate for an interrupt, I would absolutely slot Elemental Drain instead.
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    True, I just need a destro ability on bar for passives. I do like the interrupt though and between crushing shock and the enchant there’s a fairly decent chance to proc an elemental effect through weaving.
    • PC/NA
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, I just need a destro ability on bar for passives. I do like the interrupt though and between crushing shock and the enchant there’s a fairly decent chance to proc an elemental effect through weaving.

ED is a Destro ability and you would only lose any potential "Destruction Expert" passive gains for not having Crushing Shock.

The extra damage gained makes up for the slight dps loss and application of status effects.
    The recovery component of ED also helps with the "rough" regen you described.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I know that, that's why I said "True I just need a destro ability" meaning that ele drain would work.
    • PC/NA
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

definitely use the ele drain, like joy said. Breach on single target use should outperform the chance to proc status effects, since it costs nothing and has near 100% uptime and doesn't care if your target is a Nord or Dark Elf. The 10% destro passive using crushing shock is also only about 2600+ pen on targets above 26k resists, so even major breach is better because you can drop that regen enchant on the necklace for SD and still get decent regen.

It just sucks against other templars, but its easy to force them to purge spam using ele drain.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know that, that's why I said "True I just need a destro ability" meaning that ele drain would work.

Ah fair do's! I read it wrong.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The suggestion is good though, ele drain would solve the sustain issue as well. Just have to be careful against targets with reflect up.
    • PC/NA
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resisting urge to take my stamplar back magplar. Have done it a few times and just realized I do better on stamplar alone in general. Maybe I will level a new toon but I havent even been able to bring myself to finish my warden and DK yet. Then there is the mount leveling that I need to park one by a stable.

Options
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The regen is a little rough so you could add a second regen glyph. A vma resto back bar is possible but makes for harder skill choices.

I've become pretty sold on VMA resto backbar for open world solo magplar if you're using any of the channeled/cast time abilities(which it looks like you aren't atm). The extra HoT, while it feels silly on a magplar, helps you lock in those channels longer, and the sustain is pretty nice.

It does choke up your bars, which is...not fun.

Yeah I run vma rest in my build, wth riposte on front bar now because of the nerf it's easy to slot for me
    Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Resisting urge to take my stamplar back magplar. Have done it a few times and just realized I do better on stamplar alone in general. Maybe I will level a new toon but I havent even been able to bring myself to finish my warden and DK yet. Then there is the mount leveling that I need to park one by a stable.

Just level up a new magplar or stamplar

Options