Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    Awesome. I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough damage with that setup.

Solar barrage with heavy build (and i think it's much better in light armor) gives quite nice pressure damage around 3k tooltip damage per tick. This is an extra damage on top of your build and rotation. So if you can fit it in your skillbars you absolutely should give a chance. I swapped entropy with it and using spell damage potions for the buff. It pairs very nice with overwhelming and skoria.

Whoa i didn't even realize they buffed this morph. Do you know if the empower is like other skills where it only buffs light attacks?

Yes it does.

Too bad. That's a bit useless with a DW or 2H setup.

The damage is enough to justify the skill slot on more burst oriented melee setups imo. The empower is just extra
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 26, 2018 1:35AM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Solar barrage with heavy build (and i think it's much better in light armor) gives quite nice pressure damage around 3k tooltip damage per tick. This is an extra damage on top of your build and rotation. So if you can fit it in your skillbars you absolutely should give a chance. I swapped entropy with it and using spell damage potions for the buff. It pairs very nice with overwhelming and skoria.

Whoa i didn't even realize they buffed this morph. Do you know if the empower is like other skills where it only buffs light attacks?

Yes it does.

The damage is enough to justify the skill slot on more burst oriented melee setups imo. The empower is just extra

Fair. Would the empower be enough to justify switching to lightning staff? The AoE synergy would be nice.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

You should really try a staff.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Fair. Would the empower be enough to justify switching to lightning staff? The AoE synergy would be nice.

Destro is already superior anyway tbh. Unless you’re using Forward Momentum I don’t really see a good argument for non-Destro offense bar
  • ledesertcroit
    I’ve been trying a dw/snb setup (axiom, war maiden, skeleton), and while the dmg is satisfying, the sustain is nonexistent.
    I’ve put an absorb Magicka glyph on my offhand sword( is it useful? should it rather be on my mainhand (I have berserker there)?
    I think Radiant aura is not worth it... is it?
    How do you guys sustain?
    I have three Regen glyphs and channeling focus but is it supposed to be all of it? Am I missing something?
    In no cp I feel just have to hope for quick fights and hide somewhere waiting for the bar to fill.
    Help plz.
    Or is it that dw is only viable with a staff backbar?
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Destro is already superior anyway tbh. Unless you’re using Forward Momentum I don’t really see a good argument for non-Destro offense bar

Just curious, but can I ask why destro is superior to DW? I find it easier to light weave with DW tbh. I also sustain fine with DW as well.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been trying a dw/snb setup (axiom, war maiden, skeleton), and while the dmg is satisfying, the sustain is nonexistent.
    I’ve put an absorb Magicka glyph on my offhand sword( is it useful? should it rather be on my mainhand (I have berserker there)?
    I think Radiant aura is not worth it... is it?
    How do you guys sustain?
    I have three Regen glyphs and channeling focus but is it supposed to be all of it? Am I missing something?
    In no cp I feel just have to hope for quick fights and hide somewhere waiting for the bar to fill.
    Help plz.
    Or is it that dw is only viable with a staff backbar?

I do admit I found that this setup does lack sustain. I switched out my tristat food for Witchmother and slotted Repentance (same regen as Radiant Aura but with a free heal/stam after kills). Also consider switching to a lightning staff from DW. Resto staff backbar is always a good option too. I wouldn't switch those weapon enchants though if staying DW.

Yes it does.

Well I've been told that the 5% bonuses from DW/2H can be worth it. Plus DW has room for two enchants and 2H has stam regen on kill and FM.

That being said, I did some comparing and lightning staff has I think an 8% boost to your spammable and other AoE skills so...
    Sweeps
    Barrage
    Nova
    Empowering Sweep
    Eye of Storm maybe?

With ranged utility and better LA weaving. At the cost of 5% to all your other damage skills...
    Purifying Light
    Radiant Destruction
    Javelin
    Charge

Pros/cons but I think it's worth switching. Gonna give it a try. :smile:
    Edited by Datolite on August 26, 2018 10:50AM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Weesacs wrote: »

Yes it does.

Just curious, but can I ask why destro is superior to DW? I find it easier to light weave with DW tbh. I also sustain fine with DW as well.

Destro gives you access to ele drain (600 mag regen) as well as major breach (8% damage increase), then you can get additional mag back with heavy attacks, the destro weaves deal much more damage than DW weaves and can be used from range.

Also depending on your choice which staff you run you get 8% damage increase for jabs, solar barrage, any offensive ult (all are AoE)
    Or 8% damage increase for beam, PL, light attacks, Sun fire

Additionally you get access to the status effects, be it burning or concussed.

DW on the other hand gives you slightly higher spelldamage and 5% damage overall and the opportunity to recover stam with fast heavy attacks
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall, if you're using a masters destro(even if you're not, i don't slot reach if I'm not though) and jabs is your bread and butter, try ice destro. Totally worth the root vs magicka so you can land all games easily. Bad magicka players will dodge roll over and over and youll just cc them and wreck em. Then, it drains stam to a degree for stamina players. In small group, if there's no magblade or dk, it's to pic off and focus mag first with a root constantly on them for easy focus

Procing chilled is also a source of minor maim. I'll admit it's so so vs stamina bc of FM and large stam pools for dodge roll, but let's you go jam with sweeps vs magicka. Never miss a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hit of sweeps again!

Also let's you go resto and still maintain block reduction. I'd recommend keeping honor the dead on the bar with block reduction.

• Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Do you have any suggestions for skill bars? I've experimented with so many different skills and set-ups on my skill-bars that I honestly can't figure out what I, most efficiently, should place. :>
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Yes it does.

Destro gives you access to ele drain (600 mag regen) as well as major breach (8% damage increase), then you can get additional mag back with heavy attacks, the destro weaves deal much more damage than DW weaves and can be used from range.

Also depending on your choice which staff you run you get 8% damage increase for jabs, solar barrage, any offensive ult (all are AoE)

DW on the other hand gives you slightly higher spelldamage and 5% damage overall and the opportunity to recover stam with fast heavy attacks

Thanks mate. Another question if u don't mind me asking. U state that the destro weaves deal much more than DW weaves ... why is that? Has that always been the case? I run the usual DW willpower swords with main hand nirnhorned and off hand infused with oblivion damage. Therefore if I run a two hander willpower nirnhorned lighting / flame staff my light attacks will produce more damage?
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Thanks mate. Another question if u don't mind me asking. U state that the destro weaves deal much more than DW weaves ... why is that? Has that always been the case? I run the usual DW willpower swords with main hand nirnhorned and off hand infused with oblivion damage. Therefore if I run a two hander willpower nirnhorned lighting / flame staff my light attacks will produce more damage?

It's a matter of the spell/physical damage types. As a magplar you will naturally do more damage with staves because you have more magicka/spell damage, while swords etc. scale from stamina/physical damage.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

It's a matter of the spell/physical damage types. As a magplar you will naturally do more damage with staves because you have more magicka/spell damage, while swords etc. scale from stamina/physical damage.

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks mate ill give a staff a try again
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Don't use DW if you want to run swords. 2H gives:
    - forward momentum immunity for 2k stamina
    - single target unresistable burst ultimate that gives you 8 seconds of armor cap resists plus immunity to snares/immobilze/cc. All that DMG gets soaked into purfying light too.
    - heavy attack boosts your next direct DMG attack by 10% (buffs ultimate above or javelin)
    - kills on 2h give 30% stamina recovery.
    - returns stamina on heavy attacks if you need to refill to avoid a cc later in the fight.

But you do give up weaving using staff. But in some cases you can ice staff backbar, still use ele drain, get a ranged immobilze while using total dark and maybe run that bar as a range bar if you need to. But I feel the unresistable single target burst makes up for the missing weaving in some cases.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Yes it does.

- single target unresistable burst ultimate that gives you 8 seconds of armor cap resists plus immunity to snares/immobilze/cc. All that DMG gets soaked into purfying light too.
    - heavy attack boosts your next direct DMG attack by 10% (buffs ultimate above or javelin)
    - returns stamina on heavy attacks if you need to refill to avoid a cc later in the fight.

But you do give up weaving using staff. But in some cases you can ice staff backbar, still use ele drain, get a ranged immobilze while using total dark and maybe run that bar as a range bar if you need to. But I feel the unresistable single target burst makes up for the missing weaving in some cases.

You know, i never tried the 2h ult on my magplar, is it better than dbos?
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yall, if you're using a masters destro(even if you're not, i don't slot reach if I'm not though) and jabs is your bread and butter, try ice destro. Totally worth the root vs magicka so you can land all games easily. Bad magicka players will dodge roll over and over and youll just cc them and wreck em. Then, it drains stam to a degree for stamina players. In small group, if there's no magblade or dk, it's to pic off and focus mag first with a root constantly on them for easy focus

Procing chilled is also a source of minor maim. I'll admit it's so so vs stamina bc of FM and large stam pools for dodge roll, but let's you go jam with sweeps vs magicka. Never miss a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hit of sweeps again!

Also let's you go resto and still maintain block reduction. I'd recommend keeping honor the dead on the bar with block reduction.

Yeah I am loving Frost staff on the other toons I use.

Okay so this week I am bound and determined to get my templar up to snuff again. These are my thoughts:

5 shackle
    5 Overwhelming
    Valkyn

With the above I will end up with 5 heavy, 2 light. With my current inventory, I can't work in a medium piece yet.

For my bars I am think front bar frost staff, back bar sword and board

Bar 1 Frost staff
    Entropy
    purifying light
    sweeps
    ele drain
    Bane

Backbar snb
    ritual
    c focus
    BOL
    Borrowed time
    radiant glory (could switch back to opression

Thoughts?
    @ElizabethInTamriel; @ElizabethInESO
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay so this week I am bound and determined to get my templar up to snuff again. These are my thoughts:

5 shackle
    5 Overwhelming
    Valkyn

With the above I will end up with 5 heavy, 2 light. With my current inventory, I can't work in a medium piece yet.

Bar 1 Frost staff
    Entropy
    purifying light
    sweeps
    ele drain
    Bane

Backbar snb
    ritual
    c focus
    BOL
    Borrowed time

Thoughts?

You need frost reach. Id drop borrowed time,put entropy there, front bar first reach for the root. Otherwise you may as well go for or lightning since you're also running snb. You could drop snb for a resto too and put bol on your front bar for block casting and purifying on your back bar infused resto. Youll be back every 6 seconds to recast purifying, weave it even from range with a resto, and proc your wpn dmg enchant on cooldown just about.

Vital you have bol on your blocking bar.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on August 26, 2018 5:50PM
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

5 shackle
    5 Overwhelming
    Valkyn

Bar 1 Frost staff
    Entropy
    purifying light
    sweeps
    ele drain
    Bane

Backbar snb
    ritual
    c focus
    BOL
    Borrowed time

Thoughts?

You need frost reach. Id drop borrowed time,put entropy there, front bar first reach for the root. Otherwise you may as well go for or lightning since you're also running snb. You could drop snb for a resto too and put bol on your front bar for block casting and purifying on your back bar infused resto. Youll be back every 6 seconds to recast purifying, weave it even from range with a resto, and proc your wpn dmg enchant on cooldown just about.

@Brutusmax1mus Thanks for the tips!

So with Frost staff use weapon damage enchant, front bar. Drop SNB for resto, infused, on the back bar. Just curious, why entropy on the back bar.
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on August 26, 2018 5:56PM
    NA/PC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5 shackle
    5 Overwhelming
    Valkyn

Bar 1 Frost staff
    Entropy
    purifying light
    sweeps
    ele drain
    Bane

Backbar snb
    ritual
    c focus
    BOL
    Borrowed time

Thoughts?

So with Frost staff use weapon damage enchant, front bar. Drop SNB for resto, infused, on the back bar. Just curious, why entropy on the back bar.

Not quite.

Use a shock glyph nirn front bar. Infused snb or resto back bar. I was just making recommendations on how to set up youre bars. Entropy is a moved to make room for frost reach, the destruction staff skill that snares.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely still run ice/snb. All up to you. I prefer an infused ranged weapon to have my spell damage enchant so that i can have easy uptime of that 400 spell dmg.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

5 shackle
    5 Overwhelming
    Valkyn

Bar 1 Frost staff
    Entropy
    purifying light
    sweeps
    ele drain
    Bane

Backbar snb
    ritual
    c focus
    BOL
    Borrowed time

Thoughts?

Not quite.

Use a shock glyph nirn front bar. Infused snb or resto back bar. I was just making recommendations on how to set up youre bars. Entropy is a moved to make room for frost reach, the destruction staff skill that snares.

Love it! What would I do without you smart people!!
    NA/PC
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Thanks Minno. This sounds quite interesting actually as I've never thought about running 2 handed on a magplar before ... the forward momentum immunity looks really nice. Gonna give this a go tonight and see how it goes.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor Templar is surprisingly survivable and hits very hard. I could never use light armor before I must have had a few l2p moments in the last month or 2 :D
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

It feels harder to land than DB to me. It's probably one of the reasons why you rarely see it open world, outside of gankers who hard cc you beforehand. Templar doesn't really have that option.

Every time I try it I end up taking it back off.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

Only if you don't mind giving up an AOE stun.

I ran it couple of patches ago. I do miss my magplar; might change it back :):
    https://youtu.be/UU6k1tDIQ8g
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    I'll admit, two-handed and Resto staff is starting to look pretty interesting.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so after running for a couple weeks I have decided

Total dark - trash skill, potato masher, free cc immunity for people with brains, only useful as a bait skill in duels
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Ok so after running for a couple weeks I have decided

Total dark - trash skill, potato masher, free cc immunity for people with brains, only useful as a bait skill in duels

I disagree if you hit them with Stam cost posion first it's very helpful or if you can it land just as there about to burst it will save you every time.

If you just randomly fire it into a large group you can move around alot safer because someone will keep spamming there bow and healing you the entire time.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor Templar is surprisingly survivable and hits very hard. I could never use light armor before I must have had a few l2p moments in the last month or 2 :D

A Light Armor Templar can be nearly unkillable if you design the character to be so...

And keep in mind that no matter how much Defense you pack into your Light Armor Templar, you will still enjoy the benefits that come with 5 Light...

Namely 10% Spell Crit (which is superior to Mothers Sorrows 5th piece bonus) and 4800+ Spell Penetration (which is superior to Spinners 5th piece bonus)...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A Light Armor Templar can be nearly unkillable if you design the character to be so...

And keep in mind that no matter how much Defense you pack into your Light Armor Templar, you will still enjoy the benefits that come with 5 Light...

Namely 10% Spell Crit (which is superior to Mothers Sorrows 5th piece bonus) and 4800+ Spell Penetration (which is superior to Spinners 5th piece bonus)...

You don't even need to stack defensive sets either i just use blood spawn mostly for the ult Gen and Stam regen. I think my problem was up until now I simply wasn't good enough to get away with light armor.

Moar dawn breakers B)