The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worst grind ever......till next time
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah that grind is prohibitively grindy.

it feels like the really don't even want it to be in the game or really be used.

why is being able to craft jewelry for crafted sets so OP? that it has to be the worst grind in the history of ESO by far?

@ZOS_RichLambert
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    code65536 wrote: »
    ninibini wrote: »
    Also thinking about the master writs. One of the samples I got on PTS was to craft and epic ring for 9 vouchers. Given the rarity of the upgrade mats, this should be worth at least 10x the vouchers. So, no thank you.

Indeed. Writs like the following make the Roe and Hakeijo writs look extremely generous:
    unknown.png

Hey what is the deal with writs for jewellery on PTS, not master writs, just writs.
    What do they ask for, and how much mats does it take?
    Also can we decon the general trash white jewellery we get for mats?

Someone else may have mentioned this, but that writ requires you spend 6 vouchers to get 9... what the snot?
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    wait what? wat do u need nirncrux for? you can't craft the item if u don't have it researched. Craft it on a char and research it on another? why then have 2 crafters? why don't u just buy an item with that enchant?
    Concur with this. You can't really grind for Nirncrux items. You get a drop at the end of the main quest once per character and any others you have to go buy from someone else.

Ehm, you can just grind for the nirncrux and have someone else craft you the item to research...

No need to pay exorbitant prices like 23K for nirn weapons on guild traders.
    Our guild has a BYON policy, you supply the nirncrux, one of our crafters makes you the item for free ;)
    One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
  • eagles9595b16_ESO
    eagles9595b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any reason to put the new crafting system 1000 more grindy than any other ones.

Pretending to "make sure people will still do vet trail" is a non sense and a liar.
    How many people do vet trial ? 10/15% max... let's give you 20%.
    They'll still do the vet trail whatever you do on the new jewellery system.

So the rest of the community, 80%, will still be behind with green/blue/purple set and won't be able to
    try to improve a bit what they need to be able the vet trial requirement.

Zos, you made everything worse, as these 80% will hardly be able to even craft purple jewellery set...

One of your communication about Summerset was and still is that we'll have a new jewellery system.
    You just lied to all the community by making it so greedy and inaccessible to most of us.

If I would have known this I would have never bought and pre-ordered it !!!
    My actual feeling is really bad about what you've done because right now I know that I'll just give up on this
    new craft system.

My "Eso plus" membership just renewed 2 weeks ago... you were lucky I didn't know about the grindy s**t you just created.
    Enjoy as in 6 months, things will change for me.
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ***NONE OF THIS WILL MATTER AFTER Sunday, June 10, at 6:30 p.m. PT***
    ****Master Healer...****
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes players pay for jewelry crafting, then punishes them for doing so. Even I can see the humor in that. Scumbag move. Still pretty funny.
    Edited by Shad0wfire99 on May 6, 2018 5:48PM

XBox NA
  • eagles9595b16_ESO
    eagles9595b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I don't see what will make me change my opinion with this Bethesda E3 2018 Showcase next june 10th.
    Nobody form Europe can afford to go to this kind of show anyway... well almost nobody beside invited journalists.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Crafting was meant to be impactful, meaningful and require time to master. Crafters were supposed to stand out and "be valuable".

Now that everyone thinks they should, and is able to, be their own crafter? Well, we all know that one quote about when everyone's super.

I think you are missing the point here, because due to the amount of grind to get the basic material your master crafter would be sitting in town unemployed.

And generally I think that everyone should be able to make a crafter (who can do the essential BIS gear) in a reasonable amount of time besides of doing the other interesting aspects of the game and not have to spend a full time job in doing only this. Getting all the motifs is already something not everyone would have the patience for, so I think this is enough to qualify as master crafter.

um, no. my main crafter will be running round a variety of maps farming mats, as will the other 6 toons i have prepped for jewellery crafting. (also some low lvl toons, if you don't look you don't find) when i have sufficient mats the crafting will commence.

i'm looking forward to it.

And some folks don't care if other people beat on em. Gratz, you're one of the odd ones.

Now, for the rest of the normal headed people in game, I agree with yall.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody be fooled, this jewelry mechanic is another paywall designed to artificially increase sales of a poor expansion product at a higher price for launch than we'd otherwise pay. Vote with your wallets, get the EA execs out of ZoS.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In their dogged determination to artificially stretch out the new content via an enormous grind, in order to hopefully make it last all year until the next chapter arrives, they have essentially ruined jewelrycrafting in the long run.

Exorbitant scarceness of mats, especially upgrade mats, but also trait maits (which follow the same idiotic 10th pice of a mat rule).

No hirelings, ever.

Seams that compete with blacksmithing nodes.

No passives to speed up trait research.

Jewelrycrafting master writs that give so few vouchers in return for their purple items that they make the infamous roe writs look generously rewarding in comparison.

All this will ruin jewelrycrafting in the long run, and provides little to no fun and engagement, but instead a tiresome and longwinded grind.

Sure, trial jewels and the golden still exist, but one of the major selling points of jewelrycrafting was making items in crafted sets, where upgrading via tempers is the only option, or what about those items that don't come in gold quality at all, not to mention relying on the golden vendor means waiting for more than a year until your set might show up.

Without hireling, more thought-out mastercrafter writs and scrapping the stupid 1/10th parts of upgrade and trait mats, this craft is dead before even hitting the live server.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting was meant to be impactful, meaningful and require time to master. Crafters were supposed to stand out and "be valuable".

Now that everyone thinks they should, and is able to, be their own crafter? Well, we all know that one quote about when everyone's super.

If the goal is to reward crafters and make crafting something that people invest in, then the grain drops on the PTS is the exact opposite of what is desired.

What makes a crafter? Is it someone who runs around farming nodes nonstop? Or someone who devotes the skill points needed and invests time into research, motifs, etc.? I don't know about you, but when I take a crafting order, my policy is that the buyer supplies the mats. Buyer doesn't have the mats? Then buyer goes out and buys them. In some cases, I can sell the buyer mats as a matter of convenience, but generally, the buyer isn't paying me for the mats--they are paying me for the fact that I devoted 100 skill points into crafting, they are paying me for the time that I spent learning every trait, they are paying me for the fact that I learned every motif.

I don't see how you and some others can come to the myopic and frankly nonsensical conclusion that the grindiness of upgrade mats is somehow a boon to crafters. Crafting is about investments that pay off in the long term--time spent researching that then benefit me down the road indefinitely. Grinding upgrade grains is just time spent, period. Once you sell that gold chromium plate to someone, that's it--all you have to show for all that time is some gold in your pocket.

The difficulty of acquiring upgrade mats don't increase the demand for dedicated crafters. They don't increase the demand for real crafting investment. What they do increase, however, is the demand for bots industrious players who love grinding nodes. After all, most crafters have a supply-your-own-mats policy.

If anything, this grindiness is bad for crafters. When people see how expensive it will be to get a simple green Hundings ring--how it would be many times easier and cheaper to grind a purple dropped ring instead--they will decide to avoid crafted jewelry. Imagine if a terrible disease wipes out much of the cattle in the US. Do you think McDonald's will be cheering the 10x rise in beef prices? $10 cheeseburgers doesn't mean more profit for them--it just means fewer customers. The only people profiting will be the cattlemen whose cattle did not die off. Similarly, if the grindiness of jewelry crafting means that a simple green jewerly piece cost tens of thousands of gold, it'll just mean less demand for jewelry crafting services, with the only people benefiting being those bots industrious players who node-grind all day long. Actual crafters? They're the ones getting screwed. To think otherwise is a foolish delusion.

And let''s not forget those Master Writs, where you are rewarded a handful of vouchers for something that will cost more to make than a legendary nirnhoned blacksmithing weapon. So, do you want to keep claiming that this perversely-balanced system is somehow a boon to crafters?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Adernath wrote: »

I think you are missing the point here, because due to the amount of grind to get the basic material your master crafter would be sitting in town unemployed.

And generally I think that everyone should be able to make a crafter (who can do the essential BIS gear) in a reasonable amount of time besides of doing the other interesting aspects of the game and not have to spend a full time job in doing only this. Getting all the motifs is already something not everyone would have the patience for, so I think this is enough to qualify as master crafter.

um, no. my main crafter will be running round a variety of maps farming mats, as will the other 6 toons i have prepped for jewellery crafting. (also some low lvl toons, if you don't look you don't find) when i have sufficient mats the crafting will commence.

i'm looking forward to it.

And some folks don't care if other people beat on em. Gratz, you're one of the odd ones.

Now, for the rest of the normal headed people in game, I agree with yall.

hmmm..... the way i figure it is whilst all you moaning minnies are huddled together in a corner wringing your hands, grinding your teeth and whining i'll be out there doing it so i'll be well ahead of the game.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

But... don't you see the problem with that?

I do see a problem with it. Which is why I am not going to use the new crafting system.

I also wonder if this is going to be like the first 3 or 4 months of CP160 gear where the only place you could get mats was Wrothgar and 150 Refined Mats for a Chest Piece seemed insurmountable. Now, we have more mats than we need. Perhaps ZOS will free up the drops. They do look at the numbers and if people are not using the new things, they make adjustments.

One can hope.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the bright side all jewelry drops after Summerset will be worth a lot more, as everyone who has Summerset will be trying to get JC skill line up as quick as possible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    No1 mentioned this:
    15-Day, 7-Day, and 1-Day Jewelry Crafting Research Scrolls

Use of a scroll reduces each in-progress Jewelry Crafting Research Timer by 1, 7, or 15 days. If a Research Timer has fewer than 1, 7, or 15 days remaining, respectively, it will complete the research.

The 15-Day, 7-Day, and 1-Day Jewelry Crafting Research Scrolls will be available with Summerset early access on PC/Mac May 21, and launch on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 June 5.

• Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    I find it ridiculous that a major selling-point for Summerset, is so un-appealing. Jewellerycrafting was supposed to be somewhat of a "QoL-change" in my opinion, not a half time job.

Is it possible that A good aspect of this decision is those players who dont buy Summerset wont be so far behind so fast with the jewelry crafting changes?
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syncronaut wrote: »
    No1 mentioned this:

Use of a scroll reduces each in-progress Jewelry Crafting Research Timer by 1, 7, or 15 days. If a Research Timer has fewer than 1, 7, or 15 days remaining, respectively, it will complete the research.

The 15-Day, 7-Day, and 1-Day Jewelry Crafting Research Scrolls will be available with Summerset early access on PC/Mac May 21, and launch on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 June 5.

It's not even worth mentioning because trait research time for this is not an issue at all. A total of 2 X 9 traits to research even with the limit of 1 research a time is pretty trivial compared to something like Blacksmithing for example where you have to research 14 X 9.

That is the least of the jc problems.
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    No1 mentioned this:

It's not even worth mentioning because trait research time for this is not an issue at all. A total of 2 X 9 traits to research even with the limit of 1 research a time is pretty trivial compared to something like Blacksmithing for example where you have to research 14 X 9.

We dont know if the timer to research will be the same. They may extend it.
    Edited by Syncronaut on May 6, 2018 10:07PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    No1 mentioned this:

We dont know if the timer to research will be the same. They may extend it.

Yes we do know from playing it on the PTS - it's the same.
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see what will make me change my opinion with this Bethesda E3 2018 Showcase next june 10th.
    Nobody form Europe can afford to go to this kind of show anyway... well almost nobody beside invited journalists.

Come to LA and buy a ticket! We partying over here!
    ****Master Healer...****
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heres the point if yall are still fine with the 6 month grind to be a master crafter yall will be fine with this. quit bashing the game cause yall dont wanna work for the rewards
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. After seeing the real numbers behind this, i can say its truly outrageous. Anyone defending this grind is a masochist or is just so devoid of responsibilities or family and friends that they can spend 12 hours a day farming resources.

This is beyond anything i could have imagined that they could conjur up.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the _current_ implementation on the PTS, the decision I am faced with is this:

Do I want to spend AU$45 for a new VVardenfell sized zone and story, a grindy new skill line and the two slot change to 2H weapons? I've discounted jewellery crafting - in it's current state it might as well not exist for me.

TBH the only thing that's likely to sway me is the last point and it's currently hanging in the balance...
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    Based on the _current_ implementation on the PTS, the decision I am faced with is this:

Do I want to spend AU$45 for a new VVardenfell sized zone and story, a grindy new skill line and the two slot change to 2H weapons? I've discounted jewellery crafting - in it's current state it might as well not exist for me.

TBH the only thing that's likely to sway me is the last point and it's currently hanging in the balance...

@Elephant42 Unless I'm badly mistaken, the two-slot thing is a base game update - that is, you're getting it whether you buy the Chapter or not.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The two slot change to 2HD is a base game patch. You get that with or without Summerset.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, jewelry crafting will still be very powerful for research and trait change. Being able to trait-change dropped jewelry will open up new builds (e.g., Elf Bane without healthy jewelry). That part of jewelry crafting is just fine.

But jewelry crafting as a creation craft (which is how most people view crafting professions) is in serious need of adjustment before the end of PTS.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »
    heres the point if yall are still fine with the 6 month grind to be a master crafter yall will be fine with this. quit bashing the game cause yall dont wanna work for the rewards

I don't mind the grind to get maxed out to level 50 with full traits in jewelry crafting. I don't think too many are concerned about that aspect at all. This is part of the reason that the crown store research scrolls are a non issue. The long term impact of 10x required mats is the main issue of this thread. You can of course still do jewelry crafting with the current implementation but it raises the cost to such high levels that it just won't be worth the cost to craft for your own use or for master writs.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭

@Elephant42 Unless I'm badly mistaken, the two-slot thing is a base game update - that is, you're getting it whether you buy the Chapter or not.

Ah yes of course you are right - the likelihood of pushing the "spend" button just went down by a notch...
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I do recall that when this was first announced, they said they wanted Jewelry crafting to be meaningful and require a lot of time and dedication. They don't want people to easily craft high end jewelry or upgrade high end jewelry therefore making dropped gold jewelry obsolete.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****