The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Mountains, mountains and... more mountains. Vvardenfell vol. 2.

• thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, one of my biggest pet peeves with the game. Having to navigate an obstacle course at times to get where you want to go ...only one way in.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh gods an expansion with dolmens? :D
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

Guys, dolmens and geysers are sharing the same icon map, but it's not exactly the same thing... I've already said it few times
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

Guys, dolmens and geysers are sharing the same icon map, but it's not exactly the same thing... I've already said it few times

What's the difference? Cultists doing weird things to summon them, distinct ritual places, waves of mobs and a boss at the end. Sounds very much like every dolmen in game. Sure the colors changed from blue to purple but that's barely a novelty.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I sort of understand the whole mountains thing from a developer perspective.

Think about it. Imagine you have to set up a map where you want X locations of various types, and you would like for there to be certain distances and travel times between them. If the map is absolutely flat, and the entirety of it is accessible, you have to make a very large map indeed.

On the other hand, you put in some vertical levels and all of a sudden you can cram locations in "next to each other" because the combination of level differential, impassable terrain and other such nonsense will nevertheless keep the distances between specific points of interest - distances here meaning travel times - where you want them to be. But the overall map is a lot smaller! Easier to make, easier to load, easier to maintain...

...at least in theory. Clearly clipping errors are not high priority at all.

But my point is, going vertical creates the illusion of space on a smaller map, if that's an adequate way of putting it. Now, as a player it may occasionally annoy the living hell out of me, but who cares, right?
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Lexynide wrote: »
    This entire endeavor of an "expansion" is practically a scam on the ZOS part.

They had all the money earned from Morrowind expansion, they had all the money earned from Crown Store and ESO+ subscription.

We were given a promise of "new Vvardenfell". And the best they could give us is another Auridon.
    And to make things even worse - it's not even that great. All we got is one fancy human-looking city that isn't even that great. We haven't got anything breathtaking as it was described in the lore. And they dare to make up excuses like "Tamriel is pretty mundane at it's core".

Yet 'mundane' things like Ashlander tribes in TES3: Morrowind felt unique and this feels like the most generic low-effort fantasy land ever possible.
    Man. ESO has a lot to learn when it comes to adding new zones. The first DLC for GW2 was about the same price but about 5 times this size. We need more dlc's like Orsinium, that one was awesome!

Meanwhile even WoW has a new city that's probably half the size of Summerset from what I've seen of it so far. Packed with diverse, wacky quests (not just "go here, kill this"), expansive worldbuilding, new models for monsters, tons of npcs giving just for immersion's sake.

I was chasing around tiny dinosaurs who were stealing from shop-keepers, only to come across the god of scavengers who turned me into a tiny dinosaur so I'd understand what it's like to be a scavenger and give me a taste of my own medicine.

And this is just one city within one zone, within one of two new continents.

How much are they charging for this?

Yea, it's a bit underwhelming. GW2 added a new zone about 5 times this size, a new class, gliders, new story line and quests, new items, and 3 new skill trees for every class. It's a bit saddening how fast the dlc quality went down since Orsinium.

It's not just GW2, it's all the competitors in the MMO category. LOTRO added 5 zones in Mordor last year, and North Mirkwood, Dale and Erebor this year. WoW is doing their usual thing with a new expansion and accompanying large land mass expansion. I just don't understand how the higher ups at zenimax think they're going to stay relevant with these poor expansion releases.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I've found something interesting...

Appartently they also intentionally changed shape of the whole island on Tamriel map:

xqORZmT.jpg
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Appartently they also intentionally changed shape of the whole island on Tamriel map:

xqORZmT.jpg

Looks like they put Bummerset on a diet and slimmed it down a bit. All the better to make the island a bit smaller since they cant fill it with content.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they just gave Summerset a wasp waist. Isn't that lovely?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    What baffles me is: What is ZOS actually working on?

We already "lost" one content DLC this year and got a dungeon DLC instead (plus presumably another one in Q3), and just assumed that working on the new chapter (Summerset) cost ZOS more development time. But instead, Summerset is even thinner than last year's Morrowind, with less land area, assets and world detail put into it - as much as I love the redacted. Which they obviously recognize themselves by pricing it 25% cheaper.

So, are they working on something bigger that costs them too much resources?
    Do they even have anyone still working on new content?
    Or are they just dedicated to the Crown Store now?

I've been wondering that for over a year now as delivered content seems smaller than the size of the studio. I probably would not have noticed were it not for the shortcuts they take in order to reduce development costs. Stuff like locked doors, not wanting to pay someone to put jewelry nodes across Tamriel, etc.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funniest thing is... half the locations on Summerset will not be available till release of DLCs :trollface:

Nothing beats Clockwork City in that regard though!
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • joaaocaampos
    joaaocaampos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The truth is they didn't say that Summerset (alone) was larger than Vvardenfell. But, yes, Summerset + Artaeum.

What I would like to see from next year:
    • DLC: 1 zone
    • Chapter: 2 zones
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The truth is they didn't say that Summerset (alone) was larger than Vvardenfell. But, yes, Summerset + Artaeum.

What ZOS sees:

• DLC: 1 Dungeon
    • Chapter: quarter of a zone with big mountains
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

xqORZmT.jpg

Sadly, I see them explaining this away by stating that lore-wise, no outsiders have been allowed in Summerset, so no one had an accurate map of the zone... Now that the queen has opened it to outsiders, there is a “more accurate” map.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We already "lost" one content DLC this year and got a dungeon DLC instead (plus presumably another one in Q3), and just assumed that working on the new chapter (Summerset) cost ZOS more development time. But instead, Summerset is even thinner than last year's Morrowind, with less land area, assets and world detail put into it - as much as I love the redacted. Which they obviously recognize themselves by pricing it 25% cheaper.

Needs to be said again so I'm quoting it.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have a nasty suspicion that most of the money is going to investors and will never touch the budget for ESO or any other game.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »

xqORZmT.jpg

Sadly, I see them explaining this away by stating that lore-wise, no outsiders have been allowed in Summerset, so no one had an accurate map of the zone... Now that the queen has opened it to outsiders, there is a “more accurate” map.

That is a perfectly valid situation, too.

I have a nasty suspicion that most of the money is going to investors and will never touch the budget for ESO or any other game.

"Unannounced projects".
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

xqORZmT.jpg

That is a perfectly valid situation, too.

“Turns out Summerset is a lot bigger than we thought.” is also a valid situation... Just much less likely.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that "they updated the originally-vague world map artwork to match the actual game landmass" is being lumped in with "OMG they screwed us over!"

Seems a bit of a stretch.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭

xqORZmT.jpg

I wonder how will they explain why in third era people are using false map again.. propably Dragon Break :trollface:

I don't know what I expected. Couldn't they just place two roads and maybe delves through north and south mountains for the sake of exploration? I only hope that maybe storyline is interesting and trial is hard. Whole hype is already gone thanks to unpaid beta testers. "Biggest PvE zone" what a story!
    PC/EU
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will say the mq is probably the best storyline in the game.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that "they updated the originally-vague world map artwork to match the actual game landmass" is being lumped in with "OMG they screwed us over!"

I don't think if the map was the same size people would be complaining. Don't be obtuse. You know this isn't just about the shape.

Fact is, they told us one thing (Summerset would be the biggest landmass released)

And by all accounts so far, they gave us something else.

Whether you personally care about size, environmental diversity, playable space, content quantity etc. is irrelevant. It's a matter of honesty.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. Most Summerset advertising has already been proven (partially) false. It's neither the biggest zone nor is it bigger than Vvardenfell. And it hasn't got more content than the usual faction zone. There's not much left for Summerset, it's already a massive let down for cheap $30.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 21, 2018 6:32PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DemonDruaga
    DemonDruaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn was the best dlc, since then it went down hill. Just getting the chapters and dlcs for the extra goodies, the zones are pretty mehh alltogether.
    Endless daily grinder, thats what this game has for pve
    Ardor // Dunkelsicht // Pakt
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are getting entirely too caught up on the mountains. Yes it sucks that we have these invisible walls, older ES games allowed us to go anywhere and I would love some more freedom here. But I would rather they had added exploreable areas between those mountains. Im just fine with having some terrain features like mountains but I do wish they hadnt scrunched the island the way they did.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »
    If you thought Vvardenfell was just Orsinium with volcano on top, look at Summerset map.

747rzt9.jpg

I spent quite a lot of time and explored as much as I could on my mount and feet. These areas are not accessible, they are just mountains blocking everything.
    I'm sick of it, everytime ZOS is too lazy to put more content in DLCs / Chapters, they just put bunch of mountains so the map looks less empty.

I don't care if these mountains are for immersion, more beautiful views or whatever.
    I prefer Summerset to be completely flat like a damn desert, BUT at least filled with quests and other activities in these areas.

The norther bit, there’s the underdark passage under those mountains.

Aaaaaaaaaaand THAT is inspiration for some future dlc. All those inmates of the banished cells had to come from somewhere. They crossed some dangerous lines, and the magic perps like Rilis had to have some place to do their thing in secret.

Make some ubderdark complexes under those mountains.

We want Moria!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    If you thought Vvardenfell was just Orsinium with volcano on top, look at Summerset map.

747rzt9.jpg

I spent quite a lot of time and explored as much as I could on my mount and feet. These areas are not accessible, they are just mountains blocking everything.
    I'm sick of it, everytime ZOS is too lazy to put more content in DLCs / Chapters, they just put bunch of mountains so the map looks less empty.

I don't care if these mountains are for immersion, more beautiful views or whatever.
    I prefer Summerset to be completely flat like a damn desert, BUT at least filled with quests and other activities in these areas.

Aaaaaaaaaaand THAT is inspiration for some future dlc. All those inmates of the banished cells had to come from somewhere. They crossed some dangerous lines, and the magic perps like Rilis had to have some place to do their thing in secret.

We want Moria!

Have you played LOTRO? Take my word for it, you don't. I love that game, but Moria...
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

747rzt9.jpg

We want Moria!

Have you played LOTRO? Take my word for it, you don't. I love that game, but Moria...

Moria is regarded as one of the biggest achievements when it comes to game design in Lotro so...
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • GabiAlex
    GabiAlex
    ✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »

What ZOS sees:

• Chapter: a quarter of a zone with big mountains

Just wait for the rest of Skyrim to be added. At least I hope that each hold will be launched separately similar in size with Eastmarch and Rift instead of launching them all together and slightly bigger than the vanilla holds combined and the Throat of the World's peak inaccessible.
    @GabiAlex - PC EU Megaserver
    Delora Xiaphia - Aldmeri Dominion - Nightblade Bosmer
    Ugrim gro-Khar - Daggerfall Covenant - Dragonknight Orsimer
    Sena R'en - Ebonheart Pact - Sorcerer Dunmer
    Fjorik Firebeard - Ebonheart Pact - Templar Nord
    Ophelia Adel Maris - Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer Breton
    Drinks-In-Silence - Ebonheart Pact - Dragonknight Argonian
    Floriancen Larethian - Aldmeri Dominion - Warden Altmer
    Zahir at Unar - Daggerfall Covenant - Nightblade Redguard

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GabiAlex wrote: »
    red_emu wrote: »

What ZOS sees:

• Chapter: a quarter of a zone with big mountains

Just wait for the rest of Skyrim to be added. At least I hope that each hold will be launched separately similar in size with Eastmarch and Rift instead of launching them all together and slightly bigger than the vanilla holds combined and the Throat of the World's peak inaccessible.

It will be a long time before they do the rest of Skyrim. By that time, the entire ESO development team will be Rich Lambert, an artist/animator, a part time writer, and whatever warm bodies they can grab from the other part of the studio when no one is watching. Rich will have to wear a T-Shirt that says "Yes, I still work for ZOS" so that building security doesn't toss him out. :smiley:

Anyway... I expect it to be a while. Maybe not exactly like that, but a while.
This discussion has been closed.