Mountains, mountains and... more mountains. Vvardenfell vol. 2.

• Madhojo
    Madhojo
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't have a problem with it, except for all those invisible walls...

God how I loathe invisible walls
    Options
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know those graphic images with words used most often? Not sure if that type has a name, anyways, "they" will use that at their next content meeting.

"So what are our players talking about on the forums, what do they want?"

Biggest wordon chart: "mountains"

"Ok, we can do that, Joe - make us some new mountains, don't recycle old ones, our fans notice such things."
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Options
  • ar558
    ar558
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I spent quite a lot of time and explored as much as I could on my mount and feet. These areas are not accessible, they are just mountains blocking everything.
    Why didn't you use the gryphon mount to fly on top of the mountains? All the cool quests, bosses and loot are there!
    Achtung: Ich spiele ESO wegen Elder Scrolls, aber nicht wegen Online!
    Options
  • ThumbtackJake
    ThumbtackJake
    ✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    GabiAlex wrote: »
    red_emu wrote: »
    The truth is they didn't say that Summerset (alone) was larger than Vvardenfell. But, yes, Summerset + Artaeum.

What I would like to see from next year:
    • DLC: 1 zone
    • Chapter: 2 zones

What ZOS sees:

What I would like to see from next year:
    • DLC: 1 Dungeon
    • Chapter: a quarter of a zone with big mountains

Just wait for the rest of Skyrim to be added. At least I hope that each hold will be launched separately similar in size with Eastmarch and Rift instead of launching them all together and slightly bigger than the vanilla holds combined and the Throat of the World's peak inaccessible.

It will be a long time before they do the rest of Skyrim. By that time, the entire ESO development team will be Rich Lambert, an artist/animator, a part time writer, and whatever warm bodies they can grab from the other part of the studio when no one is watching. Rich will have to wear a T-Shirt that says "Yes, I still work for ZOS" so that building security doesn't toss him out. :smiley:

Anyway... I expect it to be a while. Maybe not exactly like that, but a while.

Oh no....Skyrim is FULL OF MOUNTAINS! There won’t be any room at all!

Now it seems more probable than ever that we´ll be getting skyrim in the future. Or at least a web of roads between towns, all running between inacsessible mountains.

Introducing The Elder Scrolls Online: Skyrim

606504.JPG

"No, you can't go there".

We joke, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Long term filthy casual.
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, enough with the invisible walls. I want to be able to climb every mountain. This game has to many invisible walls that don't make sense. The only mountain which is fun to climb on is the one in Cyrodill NE of Arrius. There is even a cave with a door which takes you to the top for lazy people.[/quote]

If I understand, you want to: Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, till you find your dream?

It does seem an ongoing theme with content, does this content / item / upgrade justify the price tag attached to it? Yet I still buy lots of it anyway.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
    Options
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soldier224 wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Mimimi thread when a massive company developing an AAA game is delivering a small new zone and no major features for $30 and selling it as an "expansion"? When competitors give 5 times the amount of zones PLUS half a dozen dungeons on top PLUS some big features like new races and new classes for almost the same price?

Ok ok ok.. I see. No new Class, no new races and the Expansion has no major Features. But i think.. it isn´t right. I think it has no major Features for you personally. But Jewellery Crafting and a new Guild are major Features. Your post is mimimi. Thanks for your example.

You're missing the point entirely, and it's getting a bit silly to have to repeat this:

Zenimax told us this would be the largest zone they've ever released.

It is not.

It's that simple.

You're wasting your time. You're trying to argue with someone who would buy literal horse manure from the crown store and then justify it on the forums against anyone that has an opinion against it.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
    Options
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Soldier224 wrote: »
    Mimimi thread when a massive company developing an AAA game is delivering a small new zone and no major features for $30 and selling it as an "expansion"? When competitors give 5 times the amount of zones PLUS half a dozen dungeons on top PLUS some big features like new races and new classes for almost the same price?

Ok ok ok.. I see. No new Class, no new races and the Expansion has no major Features. But i think.. it isn´t right. I think it has no major Features for you personally. But Jewellery Crafting and a new Guild are major Features. Your post is mimimi. Thanks for your example.

You're missing the point entirely, and it's getting a bit silly to have to repeat this:

Zenimax told us this would be the largest zone they've ever released.

It is not.

It's that simple.

You're wasting your time. You're trying to argue with someone who would buy literal horse manure from the crown store and then justify it on the forums against anyone that has an opinion against it.
    Meh, personally speaking I don't think this zone really stands up to the quality of standards from previous zones. It's way to small and just... well, not very rewarding to play through and really doesn't warrent the price tag of $29.99 on steam. It honestly feels like a rip-off to be frank.

Btw, this is coming from a person who would literally buy dung from the crown store so I can make a giant pile of it in the stables.

┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah? Then how did you get up there to take that picture?

The obligatory Wayshrine placed so people can start the new content immediately of course. ;)

Summerset feels small to the point that half the time I don't even bother to use the Wayshrines unless my objective is on the opposite side of the map. The load screens are longer than the time it takes to get there by horse, and that's with the bug that dismounts me when I try to use Rapids.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im looking forward to it. Mountains in all
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The obligatory Wayshrine placed so people can start the new content immediately of course. ;)

Summerset feels small to the point that half the time I don't even bother to use the Wayshrines unless my objective is on the opposite side of the map. The load screens are longer than the time it takes to get there by horse, and that's with the bug that dismounts me when I try to use Rapids.

Are you kidding me? That’s absolutely unacceptable. Biggest zone ever released my ass.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    Options
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, we didn't like that new Maomer motifs are crown crate exclusive, so ZOS decided to give us ability to get them by fishing in Summerset.

Do you think guys we can also win a fight for more explorable areas in Summerset, instead of useless blocking mountains...?
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we didn't like that new Maomer motifs are crown crate exclusive, so ZOS decided to give us ability to get them by fishing in Summerset.

Do you think guys we can also win a fight for more explorable areas in Summerset, instead of useless blocking mountains...?

No because Summerset is already developed and finished. You will see bug fixing, that it for Summerset. They won't change anything in the zone or the Psijic skills or whatever.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Summerset is more vertical. Impossibly high towers blah blah blah..."

Yeah. What they failed to mention is that summerset is ALL vertical. Impossibly vertical. It's on another geometric plane all together.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Options
  • GiantFruitFly
    GiantFruitFly
    ✭✭✭
    The environment and architecture of Summerset I can give a pass to but the actual playable area and the size of the Isle itself are highly disappointing. I don't see how this could be the largest zone except by some sort of technicality.

I was grabbing wayshrines on PTS on a copied over character without rapid manuevers or war mount and at times it felt faster to just go around by mount. Usually I would get bored holding down the w key but this time around it all went by really fast.

The big problem is those mountains that heavily compartmentalize and split the playable area of Summerset. I think it reflects that the devs ran out of time to add more because of how large they are and where they are placed. They basically lock the player into following a designated path. While I was riding around a lot of the points of interest were packed close together geographically but were inaccessible except from some roundabout way because of some blocker like a water feature, rock outcroppings, or mountains.

I think zos could have put something else instead of mountains on Summerset to take up space. I was thinking of writing separately on this but my biggest personal gripe is that Summerset seems so underpopulated. Instead of massive mountains everywhere, things could have been spread around further with villages also taking up space. Auridon has three cities, and on top of that, seven villages contributing to size and making the zone seem alive. Meanwhile Summerset has three sparse cities, another that is a public dungeon, and barely a hint of population in between those cities. Summerset's size could have been helped by actually making it seem populated and a lived-in homeland instead of empty wilderness that had to be filled in with mountains.
    Options
  • EchoirVarsoj
    EchoirVarsoj
    ✭✭
    Let's hope the Summerset map designing improves with the upcoming PTS patches.
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I highly doubt it. It´s something too complicate, to remake the map, just for the launch. This issues should have been solved in the development.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing's going to change, the Summerset map + content is already developed and finished. PTS is there for bug fixing and not for changing the content that's already been developed.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun7dance wrote: »
    Can you actually enter all the towers of the town?
    Or is it just "landmass"? ;)

As far as I can tell, you can't enter any tower in the cities. It's all just a facade.
    There are also many normal buildings you can't enter, but unlike Morrowind, they didn't implement this with locked doors, no. The buildings don't have doors in the first place. Clever, huh?

I could swear in one of the previews, Rich said we could go to the top of the towers, but I can't find it anymore. Did anyone remember that?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you kidding me? That’s absolutely unacceptable. Biggest zone ever released my ass.

Sorry, I wish I was. I will note my internet connection is kind of terrible, so my loadscreens may be longer than average. I'm kind of tempted to make a poll about this now, to see if my impression is typical. >.>

Sadly I doubt it. Adding a few lines to a drop table is relatively trivial, where adding explorable area would require at the least someone to model paths up the mountains, someone to place mobs and nodes, and maybe a few unimportant NPCs to be designed, placed, and voiceacted. And that's just if you want it to be explorable window dressing. If you want quests those will need to be designed and tested too.

At this point the only way I see them adding to those empty areas (or the Sheogorad region in Morrowind, for that matter) is if they make dungeon DLCs in them.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
    Options
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would seriously stick a lot of money on the exact words being used during the development phase being 'its okay we can just make the mountains bigger'.

This really isn't looking good for ZO$ and I'm not sure I really want to spend £30 on this tbh.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitoice wrote: »
    So this means.... Orsinium is the biggest zone DLC still..... *sigh* sometimes i miss the Konk!

This looks intentional to me so they could brag that the zone is bigger when it acually isnt.......

Summerset is a significantly bigger map though. You need to scale the maps to compare explorable areas. Even with the mountains factored in, I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 12:45AM
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this means.... Orsinium is the biggest zone DLC still..... *sigh* sometimes i miss the Konk!

This looks intentional to me so they could brag that the zone is bigger when it acually isnt.......

I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.

What are you basing this bet off of?
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    Options
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    xbobx wrote: »
    This looks smaller than Auridon.

How?

Edit: It literally looks like you have more to explore in Auridon than here but it's suppose to be a bigger map.

so they lied. Did they not say this would be the biggest map added? looks like it might be the smallest.

well it's not a lie, because the entire zone probably is larger, they never said they were comparing how many cubic meters of explorable space each contained. Just the size of the map lol
    Options
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    This is a common packaging principle in business: Put smaller content in a bigger box so people think there's more in it than air. Most obvious examples are chips and cornflakes bags. Gaming is no exception to that. There's many ways where you can see that ZoS is trying to make the operations as effective as possible:

the chip thing doesn't really fly though because that servers a purpose. Without that sort of buffer, your chips would arrive in a fine powder every time.
    Options
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it hilarious how some are trying to defend ZOS' Summerset design approach.

Hey guys, it is no free or ESO+ zone, it's something that costs as much as an expansion in other AAA MMOs. There's absolutely no excuse or justification for this.

I already preordered the CE because I love the statue and the journal but I really think about abandoning my order because this time ZOS really is overstepping the mark and my good will.

omg some people don't agree with me that's hilarious
    Options
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    not surprised considering MW map, but boo
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.

The fact that the map is 144 x 144 cells (making it the biggest map in the game, by a hefty margin). Vvardenfell was 81 x 81 cells. There is more inaccessible space than on Vvardenfell, but also more space overall.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 4:31AM
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that the map is 144 x 144 cells (making it the biggest map in the game, by a hefty margin).

I'm asking what you're basing your "explorable area" bet off of. What leads you to believe it has more explorable area than any zone released so far?
    Edited by psychotrip on April 27, 2018 4:30AM

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that the map is 144 x 144 cells (making it the biggest map in the game, by a hefty margin).

I'm asking what you're basing your "explorable area" bet off of. What leads you to believe it has more explorable area than any zone released so far?

Read my edit.
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is more inaccessible space than on Vvardenfell, but also more space overall.

I guess I'm not understanding this last part. I understand 144 is more than 81, but how do you know there's more explorable space than Vvardenfell? All you've proven is that one map has more pixels than the other, not that one has more explorable space.

Options
This discussion has been closed.