Mountains, mountains and... more mountains. Vvardenfell vol. 2.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Mitoice wrote: »
    So this means.... Orsinium is the biggest zone DLC still..... *sigh* sometimes i miss the Konk!

This looks intentional to me so they could brag that the zone is bigger when it acually isnt.......

I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.

What are you basing this bet off of?

There is more inaccessible space than on Vvardenfell, but also more space overall.

I guess I'm not understanding this last part. I understand 144 is more than 81, but how do you know there's more explorable space than Vvardenfell? All you've proven is that one map has more pixels than the other, not that one has more explorable space.

Let's simplify it.

You have 144 lego blocks. Your mother takes away 60 lego blocks, and you're now left with 84 lego blocks.

Your sibling has 81 lego blocks. Your mother takes 20 lego blocks from them. They are left with 61 lego blocks.

Even though you had more lego blocks taken away from you, you also had more blocks to begin with. Therefore, you are left with more lego blocks in the end.
    Options
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this means.... Orsinium is the biggest zone DLC still..... *sigh* sometimes i miss the Konk!

This looks intentional to me so they could brag that the zone is bigger when it acually isnt.......

I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.

There is more inaccessible space than on Vvardenfell, but also more space overall.

I guess I'm not understanding this last part. I understand 144 is more than 81, but how do you know there's more explorable space than Vvardenfell? All you've proven is that one map has more pixels than the other, not that one has more explorable space.

Let's simplify it.

You have 144 lego blocks. Your mother takes away 60 lego blocks, and you're now left with 84 lego blocks.

Your sibling has 81 lego blocks. Your mother takes 20 lego blocks from them. They are left with 61 lego blocks.

Even though you had more lego blocks taken away from you, you also had more blocks to begin with. Therefore, you are left with more lego blocks in the end.

I like the way you maths.
    PC-NA Goat
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset is a significantly bigger map though. You need to scale the maps to compare explorable areas. Even with the mountains factored in, I'd bet that Summerset still has around the same amount of explorable area as Vvardenfell, if not more.

Summerset is significantly smaller with overall less content. Just go on the PTS if you can and travel Summerset. At best it is as big as Auridon.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

You don't need to be condescending about it dude. I'm not trying to argue with you.

So my question is where you're getting the 60 legos and the 20 legos. I must have missed something in your initial explanation. Can you confirm these numbers for inaccessible space?

It's late and I'm half asleep, but based on my understanding it looks like you're pulling these numbers out of the blue, and assuming whatever space is taken out of Summerset isn't enough to make it smaller than Vvardenfell.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 27, 2018 5:26AM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

You don't need to be condescending about it dude. I'm not trying to argue with you.

So my question is where you're getting the 60 legos and the 20 legos. I must have missed something in your initial explanation. Can you confirm these numbers for inaccessible space?

It's late and I'm half asleep, but based on my understanding it looks like you're pulling these numbers out of the blue, and assuming whatever space is taken out of Summerset isn't enough to make it smaller than Vvardenfell.

His comparison just isn't right.

Yes, Summerset has more map cells. The thing is, you need to remove all the "water" from that map surrounding Summerset. Then you need to take away 40-50% of Summersets landmass because that's the amount that is not accessible. Summerset is very linear and less open space exploration than Vvardenfell or the usual other zones. Most times there is only one path to get to place X.

If you do all this you quickly realize that Summerset seems to be the biggest zone yet based on map cells but with all the inaccessible stuff (a lot more than Morrowind had) it is overall significantly smaller than Vvardenfell and hardly bigger than Auridon.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Let's simplify it.

Yes, Summerset has more map cells. The thing is, you need to remove all the "water" from that map surrounding Summerset. Then you need to take away 40-50% of Summersets landmass because that's the amount that is not accessible. Summerset is very linear and less open space exploration than Vvardenfell or the usual other zones. Most times there is only one path to get to place X.

If you do all this you quickly realize that Summerset seems to be the biggest zone yet based on map cells but with all the inaccessible stuff (a lot more than Morrowind had) it is overall significantly smaller than Vvardenfell and hardly bigger than Auridon.

Except it is right.

1. Vvardenfell had water too. Every map has water. I'm not sure why you would only account for water on the Summerset map.

2. Even if you assume that 50% of Summerset's landmass is inaccessible, while only 10% of the landmass in inaccessible in Vvardenfell (which isn't true on both accounts), Summerset would still have the same amount of accessible space as Vvardenfell.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 6:04AM
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

Except it is right.

1. Vvardenfell had water too. Every map has water. I'm not sure why you would only account for water on the Summerset map.

2. Even if you assume that 50% of Vvardenfell's landmass is inaccessible, while only 10% of the landmass in inaccessible in Vvardenfell (which isn't true on both accounts), Summerset would still have the same amount of accessible space.

So can you address my earlier question?

No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

Except it is right.

2. Even if you assume that 50% of Vvardenfell's landmass is inaccessible, while only 10% of the landmass in inaccessible in Vvardenfell (which isn't true on both accounts), Summerset would still have the same amount of accessible space.

I already did. I even simplified it. Not sure how much simpler I can make it.

I'll copy and paste for you (and correct typo, it was supposed to read Summerset, not Vvardenfell):

"Even if you assume that 50% of Summerset's landmass is inaccessible, while only 10% of the landmass in inaccessible in Vvardenfell (which isn't true on both accounts), Summerset would still have the same amount of accessible space as VVardenfell."

Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 6:05AM
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

Except it is right.

I'll copy and paste for you (and correct typo, it was supposed to read Summerset, not Vvardenfell):

"Even if you assume that 50% of Summerset's landmass is inaccessible, while only 10% of the landmass in inaccessible in Vvardenfell (which isn't true on both accounts), Summerset would still have the same amount of accessible space as VVardenfell."

I don’t get why you’re being so surly about this. I just wanted to make sure I understood before I said what I suspected: you’re literally just assuming. To be fair, there’s a lot of assumptions going on right now, but they’ve mostly been based on something. Many people who’ve come on this forum have mentioned how long it takes to traverse, how many buildings you can enter in the cities etc. Others have merely speculated a bit while listening to others who have more evidence than we do.

Most conclude that, based on this, Summerset is very small and bereft of playable space, but a few have said the size feels adequate. In either case, their conjecture was based on some sort of experience. It’s still guesswork, but it gives us a sense of what’s going on.

What you’re doing seems to be pure assumption, and yet you’re trying to draw a solid conclusion based upon it that everyone should just accept. That’s not bow debate nor analysis works.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 27, 2018 6:17AM

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's simplify it.

Except it is right.

I don’t get why you’re being so surly about this. I just wanted to make sure I understood before I said what I suspected: you’re literally just assuming. To be fair, there’s a lot of assumptions going on right now, but they’ve mostly been based on something. Many people who’ve come on this forum have mentioned how long it takes to traverse, how many buildings you can enter in the cities etc. Others have merely speculated a bit while listening to others who have more evidence than we do.

Most conclude that, based on this, Summerset is very small and bereft of playable space, but a few have said the size feels adequate. In either case, their conjecture was based on some sort of experience. It’s still guesswork, but it gives us a sense of what’s going on.

What you’re doing seems to be pure assumption, and yet you’re trying to draw a solid conclusion based upon it that everyone should just accept. That’s not bow debate nor analysis works.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm using actual quantifiable data that is available to us.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 6:30AM
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just going to re-post this here too:

9kX8Okr.jpg
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

Even if this is real (and I can’t say either way because so many people have been disputing these map comparisons in various ways), this isn’t all that impressive or important. The question isn’t whether or not Summerset is bigger than a single levellng zone from launch, but whether or not it’s the biggest zone they’ve ever released, and whether they mean that as a technicality or in terms of playable space.

And speaking of playable space: you’re assuming that the amount of inaccesible area in Summerset still leaves it with more space than Vvardenfell. Again, this is an assumption.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 27, 2018 6:41AM

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

Even if this is real (and I can’t say either way because so many people have been disputing these map comparisons in various ways), this isn’t all that impressive or important. The question isn’t whether or not Summerset is bigger than a single levellng zone from launch, but whether or not it’s the biggest zone they’ve ever released, and whether they mean that as a technicality or in terms of playable space.

And speaking of playable space: you’re assuming that the amount of inaccesible area in Summerset still leaves it with more space than Vvardenfell. Again, this is an assumption.

It's a very logically sound assumption based on the information we have. See multiple explanations above.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

This comparison is inappropriate. I don't even know who came up with this. Summerset is definitely not almost twice as big as Auridon when it comes to accessible space (that's what your picture insists).
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

This comparison is inappropriate. I don't even know who came up with this. Summerset is definitely not almost twice as big as Auridon when it comes to accessible space (that's what your picture insists).

That's what happens you scale the maps appropriately.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 27, 2018 7:17AM
    Options
  • fatmanatcomp
    fatmanatcomp
    ✭✭✭
    This "issue" being talked about in the first place just goes to show that the "chapter" we have to pay extra money for is yet again a disappointment.
    I don't mind paying extra for more content but call it an expansion and give me value for money content wise.
    I should be excited for new content instead of just feeling i am being squeezed for money.
    Options
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    thorim-in-the-mountains.jpg

I guess some dentity hides in the mountains (lorewise) that we are not allowed to go there.
    Options
  • ThumbtackJake
    ThumbtackJake
    ✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

That can't be right. The icons, terrain (like the roads), etc. aren't even close to being scaled right.

Now, someone at one point in this thread or another had attempted the same thing but using boats as as reference point for scaling the maps for comparison.
    Edited by ThumbtackJake on April 27, 2018 9:13AM
    Long term filthy casual.
    Options
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

That can't be right. The icons, terrain (like the roads), etc. aren't even close to being scaled right.

Now, someone at one point in this thread or another had attempted the same thing but using boats as as reference point for scaling the maps for comparison.

Yeah what i've noticed in all these attempts at mapping out the size comparison the wayshrines in Auridon are smaller so the scaling isn't right and Auridon must be bigger I think, which is frightening - if its looking bad when Auridon is slightly smaller once the correct comparison is made it will be pretty shocking/ outrageous.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the creator of the Harvest Map addon post their version of the "map comparison" in one of the threads on here?

I'd assume their map would be the most accurate for comparison, versus the Photoshoppers.
    Edited by Lake on April 27, 2018 9:59AM
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    Didn't the creator of the Harvest Map addon post their version of the "map comparison" in one of the threads on here?

I'd assume their map would be the most accurate for comparison, versus the Photoshoppers.

Yes he did it here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5088792#Comment_5088792

There you can see that Summerset is almost the same size as Auridon and that's exactly how the zone size can be experienced on PTS.

Summerset is significantly smaller than Vvardenfell.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah? Then how did you get up there to take that picture?

The obligatory Wayshrine placed so people can start the new content immediately of course. ;)

Summerset feels small to the point that half the time I don't even bother to use the Wayshrines unless my objective is on the opposite side of the map.

I find this to be the case for all zones. As a matter of fact, I did the entire Vvardenfell main quest, and all side quests, without using a wayshrine. The entire time, the character was either on foot or mounted, and that character does not have Rapid Maneuver. This was only an issue when Red Mountain got in the way.

All of the zones are designed to feel larger than they really are. Summerset, probably less so than others.

I won't compare travel times to load screens, and that is mainly because to two durations are perceived differently. Unless they are timed, with an effort towards accuracy (or at least consistency), they cannot be compared.

Perception is working against ZOS when it comes to these maps. People look at the size of the map markers and the roads and make scale judgements based on them. This makes them assume that these are the same between the maps, and they are not. The maps are designed to be pleasing to look at and convey information without being too crowded. Auridon is smaller, more crowded, and represents a different map style. If they scaled the map markers and roads the same as they did with Summerset, all you would see is roads and map markers. On the flip side, if they scaled Summerset as they did Auridon, the map markers would be much smaller.

The scaling also can be used to hide lack of content, which is another perception issue that ZOS has to deal with. Summerset might be larger in size than Auridon, but the content density probably is not. Looking at such a map, people might think Summerset is "empty".

The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

I keep trying to explain this to @MLGProPlayer but they really don't seem to care.

Here's the other map that seems to scale things better:

soXaDPs.png

Please MLG. Explain why this map is wrong and yours is right.

9kX8Okr.jpg

On your map, things clearly look out of scale. The roads are way too fat and the icons are way too big, and that's just a few immediate problems I see. Others have noted many more issues with your method.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 27, 2018 3:34PM

Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On your map, things clearly look out of scale. The roads are way too fat and the icons are way too big, and that's just a few immediate problems I see. Others have noted many more issues with your method.

The maps in ESO do not represent the zone in a 1:1 relationship. They are artwork, created by the art team, based on a composite image of the zone cells. They scale the artwork so that it can be displayed. The Summerset map art shows wider roads because someone decided to make the roads on the map wider. If they wanted, they could redo the maps with narrow roads, changing nothing else. It is just artwork.

The map markers are placed by the UI team, and they don't care about the scale of the map relative to the zone. The artwork is what they have to deal with. The main concern that the UI team has should be to make sure that map markers are placed and how to place all the map markers on the map without making it look too crowded.

So, forget about road sizes, map marker sizes, or even how big the docks are. These things are irrelevant because the maps are not a literal depiction of the zone. They are artwork, not a photograph.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reposting this here from here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5091224/#Comment_5091224

This should be most fitting comparison so far between Summerset and Auridon, based on Dominoid's math and proper raw map files.
    Khhe0cp.png
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Reposting this here from here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5091224/#Comment_5091224

This should be most fitting comparison so far between Summerset and Auridon, based on Dominoid's math and proper raw map files.
    Khhe0cp.png
    Neat. So Auridon is larger and has more content then summerset.
    A Starting zone has more content then a expansion.

Oh, this is rich. Zenimax is sure getting lazy interms of playable content. But i'm not surprised considering the devs seems to be making less and less content for new zones. .
    ┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, the lower left mountain is filled with the aldmeri grotto house. So when you enter the house, you will be underneath the mountain. The upper mountain at least contains crystal tower and cloudrest and another public dungeon.

But yea, half of the map is still inaccessable. We expected that much though.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    The southern most one needs to be gone honestly, Eton Nir at least has a ton of internal instances related to it so I kinda pass it.
    Options
  • ThumbtackJake
    ThumbtackJake
    ✭✭✭

Khhe0cp.png

This looks pretty damn accurate, especially with my experience in-game.
    Long term filthy casual.
    Options
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What baffles me is: What is ZOS actually working on?

We already "lost" one content DLC this year and got a dungeon DLC instead (plus presumably another one in Q3), and just assumed that working on the new chapter (Summerset) cost ZOS more development time. But instead, Summerset is even thinner than last year's Morrowind, with less land area, assets and world detail put into it - as much as I love the redacted. Which they obviously recognize themselves by pricing it 25% cheaper.

So, are they working on something bigger that costs them too much resources?
    Do they even have anyone still working on new content?
    Or are they just dedicated to the Crown Store now?

Again, for the second time, I am quoting this post. I would love for someone (not gonna happen) from ZOS to comment on this. Probably the greatest post that has ever been posted on these forums before.

What in the actual *** are you guys working on?
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
    Options
This discussion has been closed.