Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mountains, mountains and... more mountains. Vvardenfell vol. 2.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Faulgor wrote: »
    What baffles me is: What is ZOS actually working on?

We already "lost" one content DLC this year and got a dungeon DLC instead (plus presumably another one in Q3), and just assumed that working on the new chapter (Summerset) cost ZOS more development time. But instead, Summerset is even thinner than last year's Morrowind, with less land area, assets and world detail put into it - as much as I love the redacted. Which they obviously recognize themselves by pricing it 25% cheaper.

So, are they working on something bigger that costs them too much resources?
    Do they even have anyone still working on new content?
    Or are they just dedicated to the Crown Store now?

Again, for the second time, I am quoting this post. I would love for someone (not gonna happen) from ZOS to comment on this. Probably the greatest post that has ever been posted on these forums before.

What in the actual *** are you guys working on?

What content DLC did we lose this year? The poster you are quoting is talking out of their ass.

Small zone DLCs are released in Q4 of every year. Q1 is either a free minor DLC (like housing) or a dungeon DLC (which is exactly what they delivered).

Summerset has 23% less explorable area than Vvardenfell according to one estimate (if we assume the analysis is correct), but that's not including Araeum, which makes the comparison much closer.

Summerset is also a very reasonable $29.99 ($10 cheaper than Morrowind).

Really not sure what people are complaining about this year.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 29, 2018 11:02PM
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They are working on making more and more money, obviously. And not through content, but Crown Store.

Selling shiny mounts is much more profitable for them, than paying for whole teams responsible for making quests or trials.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

They are working on making more and more money, obviously. And not through content, but Crown Store.

Selling shiny mounts is much more profitable for them, than paying for whole teams responsible for making quests or trials.

You don't need a large team to design crown store items.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS has ~300 employees. Only a small fraction of them work on designing Crown Store and crate items.
    PC-NA Goat
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phage wrote: »

ZOS has ~300 employees. Only a small fraction of them work on designing Crown Store and crate items.

And obviously a smaller amount working on the game if this is all they can put out.....
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GabiAlex wrote: »
    GabiAlex wrote: »
    red_emu wrote: »
    The truth is they didn't say that Summerset (alone) was larger than Vvardenfell. But, yes, Summerset + Artaeum.

What I would like to see from next year:
    • DLC: 1 zone
    • Chapter: 2 zones

What ZOS sees:

What I would like to see from next year:
    • DLC: 1 Dungeon
    • Chapter: a quarter of a zone with big mountains

Just wait for the rest of Skyrim to be added. At least I hope that each hold will be launched separately similar in size with Eastmarch and Rift instead of launching them all together and slightly bigger than the vanilla holds combined and the Throat of the World's peak inaccessible.

It will be a long time before they do the rest of Skyrim. By that time, the entire ESO development team will be Rich Lambert, an artist/animator, a part time writer, and whatever warm bodies they can grab from the other part of the studio when no one is watching. Rich will have to wear a T-Shirt that says "Yes, I still work for ZOS" so that building security doesn't toss him out. :smiley:

Anyway... I expect it to be a while. Maybe not exactly like that, but a while.

I don't expect it to be launched sooner than 3 years and I don't want to. TES V is still too "recent" and there other zones that we haven't explored since Arena. We still have to see Black Marsh, Elsweyr and the rest of Morrowind and Hammerfell, not to mention many realms of Oblivion.

You know the weird thing? Realizing that Skyrim released almost seven years ago.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We already "lost" one content DLC this year and got a dungeon DLC instead (plus presumably another one in Q3), and just assumed that working on the new chapter (Summerset) cost ZOS more development time. But instead, Summerset is even thinner than last year's Morrowind, with less land area, assets and world detail put into it - as much as I love the redacted. Which they obviously recognize themselves by pricing it 25% cheaper.

Again, for the second time, I am quoting this post. I would love for someone (not gonna happen) from ZOS to comment on this. Probably the greatest post that has ever been posted on these forums before.

Ever since QuakeCon 2014, they keep the stuff they plan close to their chest. Best we can hope for are some news at E3. It's still baffling, though.
    What content DLC did we lose this year? The poster you are quoting is talking out of their ass.

Small zone DLCs are released in Q4 of every year. Q1 is either a free minor DLC (like housing) or a dungeon DLC (which is exactly what they delivered).
    The cadence they planned when they announced their chapter model was this:
    Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter.
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/25913

Unless you think Matt is talking out of his ass, too?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And obviously a smaller amount working on the game if this is all they can put out.....

Not all of those employees are developers. And there is a lot of work that goes into making new areas, characters, stories, items. Every quarter has new content being worked on, and I guarantee the majority of ZOS is working on it.
    PC-NA Goat
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever since QuakeCon 2014, they keep the stuff they plan close to their chest. Best we can hope for are some news at E3. It's still baffling, though.

Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter.

We got a DLC in the first quarter... It's called "Dragon Bones". It can be purchased for crowns or accessed as part of ESO+. I'm really not sure if you're being serious or just trolling.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 30, 2018 2:13AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Each year, they're releasing:

1 full zone (30 hours of quest content)
    1 minor zone (10 hours of quest content)
    2-4 dungeons
    2 raids
    Any number of new mechanics

I'd say that's a decent amount of annual content for an MMO.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 30, 2018 2:13AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We got a DLC in the first quarter... It's called "Dragon Bones". It can be purchased for crowns or accessed as part of ESO+. I'm really not sure if you're being serious or just trolling.

Pal, no. They made a clear distinction between DLC and dungeon-based DLC. Everybody understood what it meant over a year ago. I'm sorry you don't remember, but your ignorance doesn't give you a pass to call other people trolls when proven wrong.
    And I won't discuss this further as it's derailing the thread.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pal, no. They made a clear distinction between DLC and dungeon-based DLC. Everybody understood what it meant over a year ago. I'm sorry you don't remember, but your ignorance doesn't give you a pass to call other people trolls when proven wrong.
    And I won't discuss this further as it's derailing the thread.

A dungeon DLC is a DLC...

They made no mention of what type of DLC they would release in Q1, just that it would be a DLC. And they delivered on that promise. This isn't even up for debate. It's written in plain English.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 30, 2018 4:15AM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2-4 dungeons
    2 raids

Yeah that's a decent amount of content when you don't compare it to ANY other MMORPG.

There is no AAA MMO that sells dungeons as a DLC. Guess what, $30 expansions not just come with 4-5 new zones, there are 5-10 new dungeons as well. Except in ESO, there you get one zone for $30 and need to purchase two dungeons separately because their expansion isn't offering one.

The amount of (paid) content added to ESO is tiny when you compare it to WoW, FFXIV or any other AAA MMORPG.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    This is a common packaging principle in business: Put smaller content in a bigger box so people think there's more in it than air. Most obvious examples are chips and cornflakes bags. Gaming is no exception to that. There's many ways where you can see that ZoS is trying to make the operations as effective as possible:

Reskins of the same mounts with every update. No new mounts coming with a patch that literally includes gryphons. They also remodel enemy textures almost exclusively.

Monsters in summerset use old models, such as velidreth, hungers etc. Only new ones are gryphons and Z'maja....

You can complain about it as much as you want, but companies have to be competitive nowadays, and it is these little things that save them lots of resources. I also noticed this though and was a bit disappointed...

It has less landscape than auridon, even though it should have at least 1.5 times the surface.

Any business in the world is built on trust and it can last as long trust last. Trust is the premium currency. Big corporations are turned into dust in no time.

If this is the way to remain competitive forget it. There is no justification for betrayal. If a customer spends 10 dollars, he should feel at least the get around 8 dollars worth in it. Bad mouthing by 1 customer you losing 10 customers. Good luck!!!!

This actually how to become less competitive and become laughing stock of gaming community. Gamers once written off a gaming company , it is written off for ever. ITs very hard to come back. Remember ubisoft. Even later games doesnt deserve those harsh treatment , their fame of cut , copy pasting precedes their bad reputation.

They betrayed their customers in watch dogs 1. Everyone know what happened to watch dogs 2 & latest assasin creed edition. They tried to rectify hard, the errors, no gamers not even listen to them. Even ubisoft went a step higher by using bots & paid reviews. But gamer turned their back completely. See what happened to GTA 5. GTA is almost forgetted. No one is going to preorder or by GTA 6. No matter how rockstar cries and market. Gamers know legacy the GTA created in gaming industry.

Gaming companies often fool themselves by these practices , thinking themselves too smart. There is no other way around. Repeat customer is more important than just earning few extra pennies. After all they need people to buy next game. Its derailing the fame and legacy earned for so long in the name elder scrolls , after so much of hard work put in after all these years by so many people.

We have to wait and see , its another vvanderfall in disguise, when final version comes out.

GTA 5 is the most profitable piece of entertainment media ever released lol
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should really stop abuse mountains.
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does erk me that the newest wow xpac has 2 whole islands as big as summerset filled to the brim with beautiful art and quests,6 new dungeons stuff that's happening in old zones, heck there updating some because they are gonna be used in a rts like mode and the overworled out of that instance will be updated. I really think in the end these chapters Should have dungeons that's just the most bizarre thing I ever seen a mmo not include in there version of a xpac.
    Edited by grizzledcroc on April 30, 2018 3:02PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just going to re-post this here too:

9kX8Okr.jpg

How come everything in auridon looks so scrunched compared to the things in summerset?

This picture comparison is extremely deceptive. You can take one look at it and see this is a mere parlor trick.

Edit: I mean COME ON, look at the roads in your auridon landmass compared to the summerset ones. Who is falling for this?
    Edited by Apache_Kid on April 30, 2018 3:04PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

9kX8Okr.jpg

How come everything in auridon looks so scrunched compared to the things in summerset?

This picture comparison is extremely deceptive. You can take one look at it and see this is a mere parlor trick.

Edit: I mean COME ON, look at the roads in your auridon landmass compared to the summerset ones. Who is falling for this?

Parlor tricks? It's called map scaling...

I suggest becoming educated on a topic before commenting.

One criticism is that the original Summerset image I used appears to have been a zoomed in screenshot, which would screw up the ratio. The Auridon map needs to be shrunk because it has fewer map cells. There is no warping or altering.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 30, 2018 3:25PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

One criticism is that the original Summerset image I used appears to have been a zoomed in screenshot, which would screw up the ratio. The Auridon map needs to be shrunk because it has fewer map cells. There is no warping or altering.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5066171/#Comment_5066171

Imagine coming in to here and attempting to explain this away by posting a link to a basic geography concept as if none of us have even had a high school education. Your posts are always so condescending whenever you discuss with anyone on here.

I haven't traversed the isle on the PTS but I can see the other comparisons people have posted (like the one above) and see that yours is deceptive.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

9kX8Okr.jpg

You havent scaled anything properly, so...
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

2-4 dungeons
    2 raids

Yeah that's a decent amount of content when you don't compare it to ANY other MMORPG.

There is no AAA MMO that sells dungeons as a DLC. Guess what, $30 expansions not just come with 4-5 new zones, there are 5-10 new dungeons as well. Except in ESO, there you get one zone for $30 and need to purchase two dungeons separately because their expansion isn't offering one.

The amount of (paid) content added to ESO is tiny when you compare it to WoW, FFXIV or any other AAA MMORPG.

This is the thing right here folks. If no other mmo existed this would be fine. This game, from my experience, is packed with people. Crown store items are everywhere. Folks in my guilds all talk about how much they spend. I'd be shocked if zos was hurting when it comes to this game.

The content put out compared to the other main MMOs is just laughably bad at this point.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, that is not precisely what they said.

"Because we will be regularly introducing Chapters to ESO, we are going to make a small revision to our content delivery cadence, starting this year. We will continue to ship quarterly updates to the game – each with a base patch that has all the balance, quality of life, and bug fixes that you have come to expect. Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter. "

They left themselves ample room by not defining what sort of DLC we will be getting in 1Q and 4Q. I interpret that statement to mean that we would get at least one Dungeon DLC and a Chapter every year. The rest is up in the air, but they will be DLC.

Edit: fixed bolding
    Edited by Elsonso on May 1, 2018 9:17PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

2-4 dungeons
    2 raids

Yeah. The stark difference in value is just silly at this point. It only makes sense if you’ve never
    played any other AAA MMO. Otherwise, this is not normal, nor is it acceptable.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys complaining about what ZOS is working on:

You realise that for zones they, unlike any other MMO, script and voice every single line of dialogue?

That adds in:

Casting and Recording and studio time

They record all of the chapter music with a live orchestra (seemingly)

So, again:

Scheduling that
    Session and recording time

It's not just world building and flipping a switch. Time and money goes into new content. Recording all that dialogue and dropping it in takes time too. As do many other parts of building the world.

Now I agree that Summerset is not as large as it could have been. But if anyone here thinks that it is as easy as building a bit of scenery and dropping it in, then they clearly have no idea of what goes into making new content. And they do this 4 times a year.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »

You realise that for zones they, unlike any other MMO, script and voice every single line of dialogue?

That adds in:

So, again:

Scheduling that

It's not just world building and flipping a switch. Time and money goes into new content. Recording all that dialogue and dropping it in takes time too. As do many other parts of building the world.

Now I agree that Summerset is not as large as it could have been. But if anyone here thinks that it is as easy as building a bit of scenery and dropping it in, then they clearly have no idea of what goes into making new content. And they do this 4 times a year.

If the price we have to pay for voice acting is less content, less environments, and generic worldbuilding for a ridiculous price given the content offered, then it’s not worth it.

ZOS is a AAA company with a huge budget. If they’re biting off more than they can chew, then that’s their fault, not mine.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

That adds in:

So, again:

Scheduling that

If the price we have to pay for voice acting is less content, less environments, and generic worldbuilding for a ridiculous price given the content offered, then it’s not worth it.

ZOS is a AAA company with a huge budget. If they’re biting off more than they can chew, then that’s their fault, not mine.

And that we can agree on.

However, I will never understand the mentality of if some game bugs you so much, you hang around.

If ESO started to bug me in the way it clearly bugs you, i'd be gone.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

That adds in:

So, again:

Scheduling that

And that we can agree on.

However, I will never understand the mentality of if some game bugs you so much, you hang around.

If ESO started to bug me in the way it clearly bugs you, i'd be gone.

I hang around for two reasons:

1. Grew up with the IP and used to love it.
    2. I like to hang around game forums so I have a sense of what the fanbase is feeling. Just part of my job.

• daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I know we want playable areas and all but... they can't just remove mountains and volcanos from the world to make every section of every map explorable.

How many inside or separate from the base zone areas are there to explore?

How about making us actually travel to the top of a mountain? We can have sights or quests there and on the way too. Or how about open tunnels? This way they are just used to make the map look bigger.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I know we want playable areas and all but... they can't just remove mountains and volcanos from the world to make every section of every map explorable.

How many inside or separate from the base zone areas are there to explore?

How about making us actually travel to the top of a mountain? We can have sights or quests there and on the way too. Or how about open tunnels? This way they are just used to make the map look bigger.

Or how about the fact that ZOS just made up these mountains whole-cloth without any previous lore? They didn’t HAVE to put mountains here at all, except for eton nir.

You’re right though: if there are going to be so many mountains there’s literally no reason we can’t traverse them.

There only reason they did this was to make less space.

• daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    ZOS appears to be happy delivering the bare minimum. As long as fanbois are happy to defend their laziness, half baked content is all we may get with ESO from now on.

There is so much more they could have done with the landmass of Summerset and Vvardenfell. A ton of missed opportunities to show off their talents and be really creative. Think I’m wrong? Take a look at the massive zones and varied environments that WoW, FFXIV, and GW2 released with their expansions.

Agreed. This is why I hate their DLC plan. I don't want to buy a region or a dungeon pack. I want to by an expansion. DLCs really allow them to put minimal effort in because it is 'just' a DLC and not an expansion. In ESO all we get is yet another map, smaller than other maps in the base game and with less content. Can we please stop the DLC nonsense and get a proiper expansion that not only adds signifant content but also overhauls features of the base game. As a character who sets out to face off against the other Allicances and fight Molag Bal these last few years have been quite directionless.
This discussion has been closed.