Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summerset architecture.

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    The description of insect wings used in the Altmer building descriptions speaks of the use of stained glass beauty.

It doesn't necessarily, though.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the way brick was rendered in Redguard makes it look like glass shards or insect wings. Also, a drunken sailor would not know the difference between a hindwing and a forewing. The elytra wouldn't emulate stained glass so much as they would shiny, iridescent bricks.

But it's irrelevant now. There's no more theorizing what Alfiers looks like. She's here.

You're missing the point entirely. You can retro-actively justify this choice with "different interpretations" of the lore. You can do that with literally anything in The Elder Scrolls universe. Why do they insist on "toning down" the Altmer? Why are only the Dunmer allowed to live up to their weird lore? Everyone else gets slapped with the "transcription error" excuse, especially the Altmer and Imperials.

Let's just reiterate the main points:

1. Zenimax chose the most boring interpretation possible. They've turned the "unreliable narrator" trope into a retro-active justification for any creatively bankrupt decision they make.
    2. The "in-game engines can't handle it" argument falls apart when you see what they did with Artaeum. Or what they did with Valenwood (which isn't perfect but a hell of a lot more interesting than anything in Summerset). It's not a matter of engine limitations, but choice.
    3. This interpretation is completely inconsistent from everything we've seen in-game so far. How the hell is this the same culture that makes elven and glass armor and weapons? It looks closer to a breton city.
    4. They're only giving Summerset one single building style, while Morrowind got three. It seems they ran out of ideas pretty fast. (Please, someone try and defend this)
    5. Even though they kept repeating how Altmer obsess over the past and preservation and keeping things the same, the isle is littered with crumbling ruins, even in the middle of their towns. Are ZOS's own words "transcription errors" now? (Please, someone try and explain this)

Edited by psychotrip on March 28, 2018 6:04PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, there’s several new images of Summerset on the official site. Curious what you all think.
    6ad9d31408ad337863fbfedc7ba697c9.jpg
    fc6bf3356a87e13d46c0b69bc8765a2b.jpg
    8cbdca6b64fc9ed50ef6188e31c3121d.jpg
    fbd7c47fbb277e5ff17a5901dbd16e7c.jpg
    074cafa07209bcbf3bfed615019ae41e.jpg
    a83411fbdb1a02bba17071618f3d8fcf.jpg

For me, the weird monster is pretty awesome, but other than that everything they’re showing us just lacks...personality. I mean, just thematically, what seperates Summerset from the rest of Tamriel? What makes it unique? It’s just so weird going from Morrowind, Hammerfell, Orsinium, to...medieval europe version 378.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 29, 2018 3:12AM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the armor so much .Like 90% of the time nail that insanely well. I especially like the one that looks like the oblivion one.if where gonna stick with the buildings we need good lighting with an and lots of reflection , just make it as white as possible. Also that new pic of Alinor, looks interesting the highest towers reflect a almost light blue crystalline tinge. It's super sublte. I think my eyes are playing tricks on me like close you get the more stone but farther it shines, it feels different than the first pic of it on the site.
    Edited by grizzledcroc on March 29, 2018 3:53AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    So, there’s several new images of Summerset on the official site. Curious what you all think.

I think it's strange we still haven't seen any different biomes. Wrothgar has snow in the north, massive rocky cliffs in the middle, and almost pleasant forested fields in the south. Morrowind has the swampy Ascadian isles, fire and ash in the Molag Amur region and the north, etc.
    For Summerset, you see the same vegetation everywhere. The same rocky mountain cliffs. The top of the highest mountain doesn't appear very different than anywhere else. The only thing that comes to mind are some coral-like structures on a beach they showed in the trailer.
    Maybe they are still hiding something, but given that all the cities look alike too, I'm not very hopeful.

But the weird man-crab is pretty cool, so there's that.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like add a rainbow or the retracting light .Again I think I'm going crazy , I kinda wish the 2 tallest towers were more point at least.
    Edited by grizzledcroc on March 29, 2018 3:56AM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

I think it's strange we still haven't seen any different biomes. Wrothgar has snow in the north, massive rocky cliffs in the middle, and almost pleasant forested fields in the south. Morrowind has the swampy Ascadian isles, fire and ash in the Molag Amur region and the north, etc.
    For Summerset, you see the same vegetation everywhere. The same rocky mountain cliffs. The top of the highest mountain doesn't appear very different than anywhere else. The only thing that comes to mind are some coral-like structures on a beach they showed in the trailer.
    Maybe they are still hiding something, but given that all the cities look alike too, I'm not very hopeful.

Come on Faulgor, let’s not kid ourselves. We both know there’s probably only one environment on this entire landmass.

Because Zenimax doesn’t know want the hell to do with the Altmer.

We’ve already seen several cities at completely different altitudes and parts of the island. All the same biome.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on Faulgor, let’s not kid ourselves. We both know there’s probably only one environment on this entire landmass.

We’ve already seen several cities at completely different altitudes and parts of the island. All the same biome.

Summerset was always described as a tropical island, and we have yet to see even a single palm tree. If everything's recycled form Auridon anyway, why couldn't they recycle something from Khenarthi's Roost as well ...

I have a feeling I'll be spending most of my time here with the weird crab-buddy.
    DK98e92.png
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was always described as a tropical island, and we have yet to see even a single palm tree. If everything's recycled form Auridon anyway, why couldn't they recycle something from Khenarthi's Roost as well ...

I have a feeling I'll be spending most of my time here with the weird crab-buddy.
    DK98e92.png

Jesus Christ, even the coral is gray? This is actually just funny now.

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK98e92.png

Can you color the coral different colors? all brownish sand coral looks dull
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK98e92.png

aliyavana wrote: »

DK98e92.png

Can you color the coral different colors? all brownish sand coral looks dull

We've been through this before.

Zenimax will never answer, and they will never change any of this. Welcome to Summerset: where even the color is bland.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 29, 2018 4:42AM

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK98e92.png

Well, dead coral is often grey.
    Doesn't have to be though, and they still went for it.
    It's like they have a secret pact with Jyggalag to propagate the Greymarch.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK98e92.png

there is living vibrant land coral in vvardenfell that is vibrant.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK98e92.png

“From its shining towers to its white-sand beaches and radiant coral reefs, the Isle of Summerset is a paradise as beautiful as it is dangerous, and it now stands ready to be explored by you and your allies.”

That’s from the Summerset and Update 18 Preview article.

Why is the theme of everything in Summerset GRAY. It’s all a bunch of boring stone. Even these coral reefs are gray and could be passed off as mud/stone architecture of your typical insect-like enemy. That is NOT a Coral Reef.

Zenimax..... you can fail at balance, bug fixing, game performance, whatever..... but don’t mess up the Summerset Isles.

This is early footage but it’s also some of the only footage that has been selectively shown to us. Take advantage of the time left before release and add life to the Summerset. Please
    Edited by Vaoh on March 29, 2018 4:55AM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK98e92.png

there is living vibrant land coral in vvardenfell that is vibrant.

But come on @aliyavana, you know only dunmer are allowed to be weird.

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

For me, the weird monster is pretty awesome, but other than that everything they’re showing us just lacks...personality. I mean, just thematically, what seperates Summerset from the rest of Tamriel? What makes it unique? It’s just so weird going from Morrowind, Hammerfell, Orsinium, to...medieval europe version 378.

Well, the architecture shwon is jus the same european stuff we have already seen. Disappointing. The robes though, are really nice. Perhaps I have found something that subtitutes trinimac robes for a Telvanni wizard.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the architecture shwon is jus the same european stuff we have already seen. Disappointing. The robes though, are really nice. Perhaps I have found something that subtitutes trinimac robes for a Telvanni wizard.

Pretty sure those are Psijic robes, though. Psijic stuff in general seems pretty cool.
  • Casowen
    Casowen
    ✭✭✭
    The Elf architecture strikes me as very Italian. There are even some examples of this with the Dunmer, although I would argue their style is more influenced by India, Thailand, China and other Asian nations. I'm speaking purely to the stupa-like designs and such, the paper lanterns, the pointy edges, the kris-dagger style swords and points on buildings, etc. Clearly Dunmer are an odd example as they have quite a bit of bug-and-mushroom fantasy going on but I can still see elements of the Roman in their styles. What I find interesting however is that the Ayleids were at one point very much the same people as the Altmer. One presumes that the Ayleid was a proto-Altmer or Aldmer originally and that this race of elves were very much the cousin of the Altmer. When you see their ruins and sculptures they look Greco-Roman. I am not at all shocked by the appearance of some of the structures that I admit I would like to see some of the strange corals and sweeping wings and swirling bits and doodads, particularly given the oddity of the more striking Dunmer structures. Their representation of the isle of Artaeum does in a manner begin to go into that realm I think.

(As an aside I find it interesting some of the ancient Indian style architecture of the Nedes, which is interesting because part of what the Proto-Indians were was actually Greek.).

Its many things, gothic in origin mainly, and there histerically enough is a providence called somerset in england that has a town that looks almost like this in game.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wells+somerset&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivucmFlZHaAhXQwFMKHbXCBHEQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1440&bih=830

Though I do wish it would have retained an organic style like what valenwood and morrowind have.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glass roofs zos
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glass roofs zos

At least.
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recolored one picture, chose TES: Skyrims color of malachite, which no so bright and saturated, to avoid Emerald city look.
    tKBbJV0.jpg
    TXzy9tK.jpg
    Bs6C8l2.jpg

Interesting thing, on one of the concept arts shown in the videos, building have green roof, but grey on another concept art.
    bcIZ1zF.jpg
    Lb47aHx.jpg
    Edited by XomRhoK on April 1, 2018 10:53AM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casowen wrote: »
    The Elf architecture strikes me as very Italian. There are even some examples of this with the Dunmer, although I would argue their style is more influenced by India, Thailand, China and other Asian nations. I'm speaking purely to the stupa-like designs and such, the paper lanterns, the pointy edges, the kris-dagger style swords and points on buildings, etc. Clearly Dunmer are an odd example as they have quite a bit of bug-and-mushroom fantasy going on but I can still see elements of the Roman in their styles. What I find interesting however is that the Ayleids were at one point very much the same people as the Altmer. One presumes that the Ayleid was a proto-Altmer or Aldmer originally and that this race of elves were very much the cousin of the Altmer. When you see their ruins and sculptures they look Greco-Roman. I am not at all shocked by the appearance of some of the structures that I admit I would like to see some of the strange corals and sweeping wings and swirling bits and doodads, particularly given the oddity of the more striking Dunmer structures. Their representation of the isle of Artaeum does in a manner begin to go into that realm I think.

(As an aside I find it interesting some of the ancient Indian style architecture of the Nedes, which is interesting because part of what the Proto-Indians were was actually Greek.).

Its many things, gothic in origin mainly, and there histerically enough is a providence called somerset in england that has a town that looks almost like this in game.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wells+somerset&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivucmFlZHaAhXQwFMKHbXCBHEQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1440&bih=830

Though I do wish it would have retained an organic style like what valenwood and morrowind have.

Yeah. Funny you mention Somerset. Take a look at the town called Bath in Somerset. It too has a gothic, European feel with Greco-Roman ruins scattered about. Sound familiar?

Does this:
    BHCG68-1024x683-1-1024x683.jpg
    Roman-Baths-2-bath-somerset-les-deux-messieurs-luxury-hotel-and-travel-reviews-written-from-a-gay-perspective-1.jpg
    600px-Puente_Pulteney%2C_Bath%2C_Inglaterra%2C_2014-08-12%2C_DD_51.JPG

Plus this:
    disney-magic-kingdom-castle-night.jpg

VC_CaliforniaCastles_Module_SleepingBeautyCastle_Supplied_Disney_3_11_DCA_00870-2_1280x640.jpg

Equal this?:
    1c3b8839bc2de93814732922e91ccf15.jpg
    10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg
    a2b6c963cc6e4c2f951188a16f59294b.jpg
    (Oh my God I just noticed the towers look almost exactly the same as they do in Disneyland...)

Maybe Zenimax saw the word "Summerset", thought it was based on Somerset, then worked from there, adding some Disney flair as they went on

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It´s a weird mix up of imperial ruins and breton architecture... Why couldn´t we get something special, and elvish?
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    I recolor one picture, choose TES: Skyrims color of malachite, witch no so bright and saturated, to avoid Emerald city look.
    Bs6C8l2.jpg

@XomRhoK
    Wow... and this is exactly how it should look like (the above pic). Very subtle, elegant and sophisticated. I really prefer this color than the previous one made by you a couple days ago which was too 'greenish' imo and didn't fit the buildings and altmers in general...
    5MPbuC2.jpg

I doubt Zeni will change that but yet still hope it isn't that much work to do a recolor of the roofs. And I also really hope that the art team will see your suggestions.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking a bit more about it, I think the most fitting material for Altmer that has these shining, rainbow-like qualities is not glass or crystal or gold, but nacre/mother of pearl.
    It's much more subdued, and fits the marine culture of the Altmer perfectly. Nacre mosaics are also pretty common in our world, so it shouldn't have been too strange for ZOS to think of.

I was thinking enamel on the roof tiles at least, but I like that idea. They use seashell motifs, why not the actual shells?
    As Morian explained, the High Elves strive for a simple elegance in their designs, in which flowing lines reflect graceful forms from the natural world. More-or-less abstract birds, flowers, and sea shells are common motifs, rendered in rich but muted colors. Armor will be tooled or embossed to represent scales or feathers, and even heavy cuirasses and helmets may sport stylized wings or beaks.

My limited experience with real-life coral is that it does bleach out over time...not that that stopped Vivec's Antlers in Stonefalls. -_- That may be a research fail on my part though. Maybe only live coral has color? I'd need to look it up.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking a bit more about it, I think the most fitting material for Altmer that has these shining, rainbow-like qualities is not glass or crystal or gold, but nacre/mother of pearl.
    It's much more subdued, and fits the marine culture of the Altmer perfectly. Nacre mosaics are also pretty common in our world, so it shouldn't have been too strange for ZOS to think of.

107966_synthetic-nacre_mao4hr.jpg
    To @Faulgor
    Evo9GR2.jpg
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To @Faulgor
    Evo9GR2.jpg

This, ZOS.
    This is what "straight and glimmering" means.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recolored one picture, chose TES: Skyrims color of malachite, which no so bright and saturated, to avoid Emerald city look.
    tKBbJV0.jpg
    TXzy9tK.jpg
    Bs6C8l2.jpg

Interesting thing, on one of the concept arts shown in the videos, building have green roof, but grey on another concept art.
    bcIZ1zF.jpg
    Lb47aHx.jpg

this is a lot better than the last photo shop
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

To @Faulgor
    Evo9GR2.jpg

This, ZOS.
    This is what "straight and glimmering" means.

God no! Altmer architecture is supposed to look magnificent and majestic. Not cheap like a.... circus or... soap bubble!
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To @Faulgor
    Evo9GR2.jpg

This is beautiful! I love that the inspiration was from the iridescence of shells. Hopefully, they'll do this!
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no chance that 3D models of the building will be redone, but ZOS can change some textures. For example they can make roof tiles made of glass, that used in armor.
    It can be only on major buildings:
    30ThcJj.jpg
    wXKm4Yb.jpg
    Or at all buildings:
    FdtcFCl.jpg
    5MPbuC2.jpg
    I think it's pretty easy to do, and it will add uniqueness to the Summerset towns and will fit lore: "made from glass or insect wings" and "a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall".

This is a very excellent idea, and it reminds me of one ceiling of the Belgian royal palace which was converted into an artwork named "Heaven of Delight" by Jan Fabre, who covered it with thousands of scarab wings.
    Untitled-23_91.jpg

(Which is also a severe stab at the argument that using chitin as a decorative material could only be "building out of poetry". )
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)