The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Summerset architecture.

• lunarsyed
    lunarsyed
    ✭✭✭
    So just wondering, since all elven races came from almeris and started out on summerset, how come we dont see the left over influences of other elven races that left summerset? such as some of their architectural remains. Also even artaeum has same architecture as Alinor but however why does auridon have way different architecture compared to other two islands?, even though The First Hold was the first settling point of the elves.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    lunarsyed wrote: »
    So just wondering, since all elven races came from almeris and started out on summerset, how come we dont see the left over influences of other elven races that left summerset? such as some of their architectural remains. Also even artaeum has same architecture as Alinor but however why does auridon have way different architecture compared to other two islands?, even though The First Hold was the first settling point of the elves.

Ayleid ruins are everywhere and it is strikingly similar to the modern Altmer architecture seen in Summerset, although it's not quite as cavernous. Snow elf architecture is also somewhat similar to Altmer and Ayleid designs, though we have yet to see it in ESO. For the Dwemer and Chimer/Dunmer it stands to reason they'd distance themselves from their roots given the theological divide between these races.

Auridon was open to outsiders, Summerset and Artaeum were not. That might have something to do with it.

The more obvious reason is perhaps simply to prevent player fatigue. If everything looked the same, what would be the point of enjoying the scenery?

EDIT : Btw, to me Summerset's architecture ended up looking more or less exactly like I thought it would. As the Falmer, Altmer and Ayleid are perhaps the "closest" descendants of the Aldmer, why would you think then that Altmer architecture would be wildly different from the other two?

All these stories of "crystal" structures and insect wing buildings seemed nothing more than gross exaggeration. And we all know that Altmer are the unsung experts of exaggerating all aspects of their culture to the highest degree. They are (in their minds) the best at absolutely everything and biologically and mentally superior even among all evidence to the contrary.

You think a people with a mindset like that might exaggerate their legacy somewhat? While conveniently denying visitors at the same time?
    Edited by redshirt_49 on June 16, 2018 8:11PM
  • Xarico
    Xarico
    ✭✭✭
    All these stories of "crystal" structures and insect wing buildings seemed nothing more than gross exaggeration. And we all know that Altmer are the unsung experts of exaggerating all aspects of their culture to the highest degree. They are (in their minds) the best at absolutely everything and biologically and mentally superior even among all evidence to the contrary.

You think a people with a mindset like that might exaggerate their legacy somewhat? While conveniently denying visitors at the same time?

The stories of crystal structures did not come from the Altmer themselves, though. They were told by human visitors to Alinor.
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I think the architecture looks pretty nice compared to the *** that was in the base game. It's a huge improvement. Yeah it doesn't live up to the lore....but not much in this game really does. Architecture in the vanilla game (Pre-DLC) is just copy and pasted blandness.

I think people need to chill out. This is ZOS we are talking about, [snip]. And for ZOS, it's actually not bad.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 10, 2023 6:23PM
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xarico wrote: »

The stories of crystal structures did not come from the Altmer themselves, though. They were told by human visitors to Alinor.

This I know, "supposed" visitor by the way. And my point still stands, it makes litttle sense for the Altmer to build things in such a way that would be wildly different from the Aldmer, whom they are trying to emulate. And so did the Ayleid in a way, who were the most closely related to the Aldmer and Altmer, by building the White-Gold-Tower which was to emulate the Crystal Tower in Summerset. Given what THAT looks like it should have given us a fair idea of what the real thing would be like. Similar, but a lot bigger.

I never took any of this crystal stuff at face value and if anything it felt more inspired by ancient Egyptians for instance, coating their religious sites in polished limestone so that it would gleam and glow in the sun like crystal.

The Crystal Tower wasn't made out of crystal in Elder Scrolls : Arena either. Nor was anything else. Makes no sense why it would be now.
    Edited by redshirt_49 on June 16, 2018 8:40PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This I know, "supposed" visitor by the way. And my point still stands, it makes litttle sense for the Altmer to build things in such a way that would be wildly different from the Aldmer, whom they are trying to emulate.

Then why does it look Breton? The oldest settlement is Firsthold, and the ruins there look Ayleid. By your own logic the buildings of Summerset proper should also look Ayleid.
    And so did the Ayleid in a way, who were the most closely related to the Aldmer and Altmer, by building the White-Gold-Tower which was to emulate the Crystal Tower in Summerset.

No. White-Gold was built to emulate the ADAMANTINE Tower.
    The Crystal Tower wasn't made out of crystal in Elder Scrolls : Arena either. Nor was anything else. Makes no sense why it would be now.

It didn't look like a concrete cucumber back in Arena either. Makes no sense why it should be one now.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    This I know, "supposed" visitor by the way. And my point still stands, it makes litttle sense for the Altmer to build things in such a way that would be wildly different from the Aldmer, whom they are trying to emulate.

Then why does it look Breton? The oldest settlement is Firsthold, and the ruins there look Ayleid. By your own logic the buildings of Summerset proper should also look Ayleid.
    And so did the Ayleid in a way, who were the most closely related to the Aldmer and Altmer, by building the White-Gold-Tower which was to emulate the Crystal Tower in Summerset.

It didn't look like a concrete cucumber back in Arena either. Makes no sense why it should be one now.

You really wanted the thing to be some kind of shiny crystal didn't you? I'm sorry, but there's just no way that wouldn't look fortress of solitude levels of stupid.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You really wanted the thing to be some kind of shiny crystal didn't you? I'm sorry, but there's just no way that wouldn't look fortress of solitude levels of stupid.

I've said this a million times in this thread and I'll say it again:

There is a million miles between the crazy, crystal magi-tech insanity a lot of us were hoping for...and this bizarre, bland, rote, mish-mash of generic medieval European drivel.

Almost anything would've been more creative than what we got. Just look at some of the images posted on previous pages (page 11 for example). Not all of it is crazy crystal ***, even if some of it is. Some of these examples are from real life so they certainly aren't "unrealistic".

Zenimax went with the absolute bare minimum, something we've seen dozens of times with other generic high elves in every cookie-cutter fantasy since the turn of the millennium. They chose this. They could've gotten as creative and unique as they wanted, and they're clearly capable of doing so considering we just had a crazy science-fantasy adventure in a clockwork city.

Fact is, unless they're absolutely forced to do so, Zenimax goes with the more "grounded" interpretation of fantasy. This is fine, but it's something I find incredibly boring and uninspired.

If Zenimax made the original Morrowind, the Tribunal wouldn't have god-like powers, Akulakhan would be a marble statue, netch would be replaced with cows, and The Heart Of Lorkhan would be a pretty gemstone. I'm sure that would make many of you happy, but in the long-run I doubt that game would be as memorable and important to the evolution of western RPGs as it was.
    Edited by psychotrip on June 17, 2018 7:07PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Esquirel
    Esquirel
    ✭✭
    Pre-ordered Summerset. Visited. Traveled the map.
    The huge castles and architectural style are a clone of King Ludwig's "Neuschwanstein" in Bavaria, Germany.
    [snip] Just sad...
    But that's just me being a fool for having expected more...

After all, I can't even get a different mount than re-color No. X
    ... so why am I even surprised ... :/

I will return to Summerset one more time to do the quests and then be done with it.

Back home to Orsinium I go dreaming of Welwa and Echalette Mounts...

What I learned:
    No pre-order next time around once "Murkmire" comes out. Will watch YouTube Videos before I buy.
    If it is going to be the same lame [snip] experience my Argonian stays in BalFoyen. ;)

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 10, 2023 6:20PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then why does it look Breton? The oldest settlement is Firsthold, and the ruins there look Ayleid. By your own logic the buildings of Summerset proper should also look Ayleid

The High Elves gave the Bretons their architecture. The Nedic ancestors of the Bretons were Altmer slaves. It makes sense that their architecture is similar. Altmer buildings look like more refined versions of Breton ones (as they should). It would be going against the lore if their architecture didn't look similar.

Imperial architecture was likewise influenced by the Ayleids, their slave masters, and it's pretty obvious too (white marble structures).

People need to read the lore before complaining.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 18, 2018 6:07AM
  • inespeloazul
    inespeloazul
    ✭✭✭
    It's Bad, Emily.

They specifically said they wanted to do "classic high fantasy". Just like Oblivion's Cyrodiil was done the way it was because of LOTR's popularity thanks to the movies. Any "justifications" in lore feel more like reaches to reconcile with this decision.
    Edited by inespeloazul on June 17, 2018 9:50PM
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esquirel wrote: »
    The huge castles and architectural style are a clone of King Ludwig's "Neuschwanstein" in Bavaria, Germany.
    LOL. If someone wanted to visit Summerset in real life, now they can!!!
    castle-neuschwanstein-image-1400.jpg
    4-jours-de-munich-francfort-la-route-romantique-linderhof-in-munich-115687.jpg

Then why does it look Breton? The oldest settlement is Firsthold, and the ruins there look Ayleid. By your own logic the buildings of Summerset proper should also look Ayleid

The High Elves gave the Bretons their architecture. The Nedic ancestors of the Bretons were Altmer slaves. It makes sense that their architecture is similar. Altmer buildings look like more refined versions of Breton ones (as they should). It would be going against the lore if they're architecture didn't look similar.

Imperial architecture was likewise influenced by the Ayleids, their slave masters, and it's pretty obvious too (white marble structures).

By this logic Dunmers and Dwemers architecture also must be similar to Altmers architecture, because they have one ancestor.
    Descendants and neighbors can borrow technology of building, how to work with stone, how to build roof and so on. But they have no need to copy architectural style. And in their own biomes, they can find, or forced to use different materials, forced to use different forms of buildings and so on. And from other side, ancestors or neighbors can have such difficult constructions or rare materials, that descendants or neighbors can't copy that even if they want.
    I think it's ok, that there is some heredity in architecture, but it's lack something special, that no one can copy, that Dunmers and Dwemers architecture have.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »

The High Elves gave the Bretons their architecture. The Nedic ancestors of the Bretons were Altmer slaves. It makes sense that their architecture is similar. Altmer buildings look like more refined versions of Breton ones (as they should). It would be going against the lore if they're architecture didn't look similar.

By this logic Dunmers and Dwemers architecture also must be similar to Altmers architecture, because they have one ancestor.
    Descendants and neighbors can borrow technology of building, how to work with stone, how to build roof and so on. But they have no need to copy architectural style. And in their own biomes, they can find, or forced to use different materials, forced to use different forms of buildings and so on. And from other side, ancestors or neighbors can have such difficult constructions or rare materials, that descendants or neighbors can't copy that even if they want.
    I think it's ok, that there is some heredity in architecture, but it's lack something special, that no one can copy, that Dunmers and Dwemers architecture have.

Exactly. People saying similar things throughout this thread no matter how many times we try to explain to them. There's a complete lack of nuance in their arguments for why this is acceptable. Zenimax chose to interpret anything that justifies their decision literally, while ignoring any interpretation that requires some level of creativity or artistic integrity.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Esquirel
    Esquirel
    ✭✭
    Yup. And the best thing is... even the mountains are accessible. :D
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The dunmer and dwemer weren't slaves of the Altmer. They weren't "lesser" races. They were groups of high elves that deliberately tried to differentiate themselves from their kin.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The dunmer and dwemer weren't slaves of the Altmer. They weren't "lesser" races. They were groups of high elves that deliberately tried to differentiate themselves from their kin.

Once again you’re entirely sidestepping the point.

The point is that having your architecture inspired by another culture doesn’t have to be completely literal, and often isn’t. This is yet another contrived excuse to justify creative bankruptcy.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The High Elves gave the Bretons their architecture.

This is pure speculation on your part with no basis in lore.
    The Nedic ancestors of the Bretons were Altmer slaves. It makes sense that their architecture is similar. Altmer buildings look like more refined versions of Breton ones (as they should). It would be going against the lore if their architecture didn't look similar.

Wrong.
    Soaring and graceful, or static and repetitive: High Elf architecture divides Imperial critics much like a painted cow at a Reachmen feast. Their curved gables and strong, pointed steeples emphasize height, with ceilings a giant would have trouble scraping his head on and rooftops stretching proudly up toward the firmament. Their structures provide a visual echo to the "High Elves'" appearance, as they try to contrast their structures with the abodes of other races.

The more perceptive of historians (such as Cantaber Congonius of Skingrad) have discerned clear similarities when comparing settlements of the Altmeri and Ayleid, unmistakably because they share the same ancestors. Where the Ayleids departed Summerset Isle, the Altmer remained; yet their structures share many common elements. One only need walk the ruins near Bravil, then compare paintings of Skywatch for corroboration. Subtle changes are less obvious: while the Altmer are snobbish, they never sank to Ayleid levels of perniciousness, and the more refined buildings of Auridon reflect this.

Such structural designs stem from ancient roots, using methods tried and tested, but not to the point of becoming obsolete. The Altmer seek refinement rather than innovation, and they are conceitedly resistant to large-scale changes but are content to tinker. The results reveal highly sophisticated precision, harmony, and the selection and repetition of orthodox compositions.

You need to do your research.
    Nights Knight: Have traditionally been described as the offshoot of ancient Aldmer who conquered Cyrodiil specifically and succumbed to certain forms of ... Padomaic influence, we see that it is described as Ayleid ruins in Auridon itself, and Ayleid is occasionally used to simply mean 'ancestral elf'. Is this distinction between Ayleids and Altmer firmly maintained in ESO? This may seem like abject nerdery, but is it important to the self-perception of Altmer as Anuic, unchanged descendants of the Aldmer?

Phrastus: Well, hmph, any description of Elven ruins in the Summerset Isles as 'Ayleid' is an ignorant mistake! Probably made by someone who can't tell Heartland Elf architecture from High Elf. Look, it's quite simple: if you go into an Ayleid ruin, they're lit by these spooky, eerie blue lights, these-these Varla stones and Welkynd stones. Whereas, if you go into an Altmeri ruin, it will be lit by the golden glow of the Culanda and Malondo stones. So, uh that's one easy way to tell them apart, even if they may look superficially similar. However, despite these superficial similarities, it is incontrovertible that all the various races of the elves derive from Altmeri- Aldmeri root stock. Don't confuse your 'D's with your 'T's. Next!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than making a new thread, I figured I'd ask it here:

Now that Summerset has been out for a while, what do you guys think about the place? Do you like the art style? The architecture? The environment? Do you find it unique or distinguishable from other fantasy worlds?

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

Now that Summerset has been out for a while, what do you guys think about the place? Do you like the art style? The architecture? The environment? Do you find it unique or distinguishable from other fantasy worlds?

I think it's pretty but not necessarily unique
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trying to focus on the coral makes my face tired.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »
    Trying to focus on the coral makes my face tired.

What do you mean?

• Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try to focus on the coral for a bit and you'll see what I mean.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dig it now, but before Summerset launched I was a bit 'meh' about it. After actually interacting with the game world in real time though, it's pretty great.
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They clearly put a ton of effort into it. It's undeniably pretty, and a work of love.

It still doesn't strike me as particularly elven. It would have been great as Breton architecture, though. Imagine Wayrest looking like Alinor!
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They clearly put a ton of effort into it. It's undeniably pretty, and a work of love.

It still doesn't strike me as particularly elven. It would have been great as Breton architecture, though. Imagine Wayrest looking like Alinor!

My thoughts exactly. A very beautiful work that would have suited the Bretons so well. It made me think of some châteaux I have seen in the Loire. I don't mind the stones, but I would have liked at least some insect chitin in some furnishings and some buildings (not even necessarily all of them).
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly. A very beautiful work that would have suited the Bretons so well. It made me think of some châteaux I have seen in the Loire. I don't mind the stones, but I would have liked at least some insect chitin in some furnishings and some buildings (not even necessarily all of them).

It’s all just so painfully normal and...human. Not what I would’ve expected from the most ancient and “pure” elven civilization at all.

• GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a tremendous let-down in my opinion. I was expecting something much more grand and elegant, maybe even a bit otherworldly. But certainly with flowing sweeping architecture, with glass and crystal. And pristine, no dirt paths, particularly in towns and cities.

And the Crystal Tower. What the Oblivion! How! How did that make it as the winning design for it? Assuming they came up with multiple ideas for the tower (I'd love to see what other concepts they came up with, I suspect every last one of them is BETTER than this monstrosity.) Not that the Elder Scrolls art team has ever been particularly good with making attractive towers. But still.

I hope in any future game incarnations of this (perhaps when they have the graphics technology to do a Crystal Tower justice), they will explain ESO's version away as terribly faulty tales from a dark and chaotic time.

PC/NA @GP323
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's beautiful.

The windows are iridescent and look a bit like insect wings, to me.

Maybe you have to stick it on max graphics settings to really see it?

It's laughable that Khajiit get more lavish, fancy architecture than we get. I

They really don't...

It's old, carved wooden stuff with some gilt paint on it...

I quite like it, but it's not lavish - it's just ornate.

Like a Romany caravan. :smile:
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 3, 2019 11:48AM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a tremendous let-down in my opinion. I was expecting something much more grand and elegant, maybe even a bit otherworldly. But certainly with flowing sweeping architecture, with glass and crystal. And pristine, no dirt paths, particularly in towns and cities.

And the Crystal Tower. What the Oblivion! How! How did that make it as the winning design for it? Assuming they came up with multiple ideas for the tower (I'd love to see what other concepts they came up with, I suspect every last one of them is BETTER than this monstrosity.) Not that the Elder Scrolls art team has ever been particularly good with making attractive towers. But still.

I hope in any future game incarnations of this (perhaps when they have the graphics technology to do a Crystal Tower justice), they will explain ESO's version away as terribly faulty tales from a dark and chaotic time.

Unfortunately this is canon, so this is Summerset forever now. A generic forest with generic gothic era people scattered with greek ruins. Yay.

As if we didn't have enough forests and european architecture in Tamriel already. It's so uninspired.
    Edited by psychotrip on January 9, 2019 4:11PM

• Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Place was refreshing too bad it belongs to dirty elfs.
    Edited by Oberstein on January 13, 2019 7:01PM
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.