Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

moved

• SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The thing that needs to be done with the current system is expand the "good" trading areas to "The" trading area. Take Baandari Trading Post, it is in a lightly populated zone, open area, has the name and the lore. You put all of the traders less desirable traders for that alliance there, do this again for the other alliances, no more of this poor guild out in the middle of god forsaken. Then everyone has the same opportunity. Keep the capital cities as locations, but remove the need for them to be the only ones that really matter. Do this and our current system is fine IMO.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely. There's no reason to say no. People think a global auction house would allow select players to control the market. They're already doing that now. Only difference is we have to run around 20 different areas to find what we're looking for
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ereboz wrote: »
    Absolutely. There's no reason to say no. People think a global auction house would allow select players to control the market. They're already doing that now. Only difference is we have to run around 20 different areas to find what we're looking for

At least they have to work for it now, they would have an easier time doing it with a central selling place. That alone is an argument against.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, and one where i can (just like awesomeguildstore) filter and type wildcards to find stuff
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    The lack of search and sorting functions built into the UI is inexcusable, regardless of your stance on this issue of a universal auction house. And no: addons don’t count—and take up additional overhead.
  • Stonden
    Stonden
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes because of the way the current economy is (at least on Xbox).

Right now there are maybe 3 or 4 mega guilds that run the market, they take up all the major cities and snuff everyone else out. This cuts out a lot of the player population from using the market to make money because they cant afford the excessive dues that are placed on the guild members just to be part of that community.

Also, because there is only 4 major guilds, there are may websites out there (ESO Price check) that give you the information you need, so all items are priced the same anyway.

By creating a global auction house, this would open up the economy to everyone, not just the inclusive few, and most likely lower prices as well.
  • xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    ✭✭✭
    No
    anybody that wants an auction house has no idea of the competition theyll face.
  • ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have recently removed a few off topic comments. It is perfectly fine if you do not want to participate in a specific discussion on the forums, but please do not derail the thread for others who do.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Main reason is to make it easier when searching for an item that I want. Having to go to multiple cities and vendors is simply annoying.

Main reason against a central auction house is that it makes it to easy for the bot/gold farmers to sell their crap.

We know a central AH is never coming but one simple huge improvement to the existing system would be a search function that is useful. If I could type in (or link) the item I am looking for and hit search then the I could live with the existing system forever
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes this is needed to get rid of Guild Dues and too much pain in selling/buying items.

If ZOS serious about ESO future then they need this Trade Express!
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    ARGUMENT FOR A GLOBAL AUCTION HOUSE:

The two main arguments in opposition of a global auction house are:

1. Undercutting the competition, leading to a race to the bottom in terms of pricing

2. Cornering the market, leading to price gouging

These two arguments lack merit.

A global auction house allows supply and demand to take their natural course and lead to an equilibrium of price.

Cornering the market is tough, even with add-ons. This is because the volume of items is so high and every single person in the game has the ability to sell items, resulting in a very large and constant supply - one that can easily outweigh the demand, making it unprofitable to buy every single quantity available. Even with low-volume items and attempts to price gouge, there will come a point where people decide the higher price is not worth it and either forgo the item or farm it on their own, or they will get it off-market. Either way, the price gouging sellers do not make the sale, and no profit results, forcing them to lower the price to the point where it sells at the desired volume (in a way that maximizes total sales dollars).

And then there is undercutting the competition, leading to a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. So this means that within a month of the global auction house going live, every item will be selling for one gold? Of course not. Just as there is a price ceiling set by the buyers, there is a price floor set by the sellers - at some point, they will decide it's not worth selling an item for a lower price. If this were not the case, then every item would be available for one gold.

Well, this argument is wrong on both accounts.

There is already significantly undercutting going on, for instance mats, tempers, furniture. In the large trade guilds such as Craglorn, Mournhold and Rawlkha (im in all of those places), there is already significantly undercutting and price wars going on. Price your item reasonably, and you can be certain that someone will price theirs a few hundred lower. You can then undercut their price and relist, or watch your item sit in the guild store until it drops into the back pages and never sells.
    For many of the "normal" items that aren't too hard to get, such as mats, tempers, furniture, this would be even exacerbated.

There is also significantly price fixing going on in the other end of the market, with the rare furnishing plans, the Armiger motifs and rare motifs, and other goods that are few and far in between, but sell for a lot.
    "Flipping" is very common in the large trade guilds, and there are several people who make a living out of not only flipping, but also buying furnishing recipes and Amiger motifs to control the market, and resell them for twice or thrice the price.
    This has become even worse in recent time, and TTC is a very convenient tool to help them along that path. In fact, with TTC, we de facto already have a universal auction house at least on PC servers. "Good deals" are long gone by the time you get there, and you're better off just looking for your item via TTC than traveling from trader to trader to try and find a bargain.

I don't like either of these phenomenon, undercutting in the low end of the market and price controllers in the other end of the market, and a universal auction house would only make both of these penomenon worse than they already are.

Yes there is price undercutting already and some try to control the prices of rare items. That is the biggest reason not to have a global auction house. To really control a market these players would need to sit on more than 100 traders and monitor them. A global auction house they can have three people rotate and keep track of the entire market all day every day. The problem in minimal now. An auction house would cause that problem to explode.
    Edited by kargen27 on January 24, 2018 3:27PM
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sigh, he finally ran out of topics to post about so now he is just copying threads that already have thousands of other posts.

But this is the debate to end all debates!! So this one is more important then all the rest! And there will never be another! (Yeah, right)

Anyway yes there should be. Im tired of going to a third person site to find items so I can go buy them. Why do I do it then? Because I am even more bored of teleporting around looking for crap.

So honestly I don’t care at all about these Cornering the market ideas or the cost going up or down. I don’t care about it at all. All I care about is that for me the way it is now, it isn’t fun. I play games to have fun. This isn’t to me.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on January 24, 2018 3:41PM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

They face alot more competition here than they do with an auction house tbh, even if you get undercut on the AH you have the risk of selling to the public here if you lose your trader. So those extra 750k+ people on your version of the game have now dropped to an extra 499 or less without a trader.
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on January 24, 2018 3:40PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    As an alternative to maintaining the present dysfunctional system as it is, yes.

As an alternative to overhauling and improving the present system, no.

Basically the problems with the existing system are for buyers the lack of a decent search function and the need to travel the world in the hope that someone, somewhere will have the item you're looking for (together with the lack of transparency over pricing so if you do find it you've no idea if it's cheaper elsewhere).

For sellers the problems are that only a small proportion of the players can trade each week, those spots are by and large cornered at a ridiculous cost both in guild resources and GMs' time, and only PC players have the opportunity to implement the means of making it into a half-decent system through add-ons which are, however, a significant performance drain for those who use them.

The arguments against changing the system tend only to come from those who make the most money from it, and generally relate to things like dire warnings of price-fixing etc that already happen under the present system anyway. In any type of economy artificially restricting the supply of goods is only ever good for those sellers who manage to participate in the system, all other prospective sellers and all buyers are the losers from it.

Overhauling the system to enable better search functions for buyers with the option to collect items from across the world free or have them mailed to them at a significant cost would be a start. Providing a fully functional trader UI avoiding the need for add-ons and putting all platform users on the same footing would be a good next step. Finally, cater for all casual and non-guild sellers as well as unsuccessful guild traders by having a NPC trader in each of the main locations and through whom a small number of items could be listed at a high level of commission to be shared between the guilds trading in those locations. The icing on the cake could well be the provision of trading quests through the NPC merchants for new players that would introduce them to the whole trading concept in ESO which is markedly different to any other game.
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Do you want a global auction house?

Arguments for and against are below.

somebody said "the debate to end all debates" - does that mean there will be no more threads on the subject?? cuz THAT I'd vote for!!

seriously people...it's different. It works differently than a global AH - it's better in some ways, worse in others...but I can still buy stuff I need off of it, so it still works at it's most fundamental level - does "difference" really merit the unrelenting 3+ years of "I WANT THINGS BACK THE WAY EVERYONE ELSE DOES THEM"??

...sigh...
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    It's an important gold sink
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    This is why we can't have a nice thing, people are too evil.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    phermitgb wrote: »

somebody said "the debate to end all debates" - does that mean there will be no more threads on the subject?? cuz THAT I'd vote for!!

seriously people...it's different. It works differently than a global AH - it's better in some ways, worse in others...but I can still buy stuff I need off of it, so it still works at it's most fundamental level - does "difference" really merit the unrelenting 3+ years of "I WANT THINGS BACK THE WAY EVERYONE ELSE DOES THEM"??

...sigh...

But every mmo should copy WoW, just how WoW copied Swg
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    phermitgb wrote: »

...sigh...

But every mmo should copy WoW, just how WoW copied Swg

What, how dare you, such heresy. I wish WoW copied SWG.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes. Guild traders are a massive waste of time. Why would I spend an hour or two hunting down an item in guild traders when I could just go to any capital city and go to an auction house.

Most of the time I don't even bother which sucks because I'm not using a part of the game because of its massive inconvenience.

It takes me FOREVER to find things at a trader. Scrolling through pages and pages of motifs or various mats. I want to sort my mat, not price. I want to search for a particular motif, not stare at the screen till purple words turn white.

Going to a guild trader is a literal headache. An auction house like WoW would be easy to use, instantly accessible, and a central area where I can go to find what I am looking for, without the headache.
    Edited by boombazookajd on January 24, 2018 4:00PM
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This, then buying in an guild store you rarely bother to find the cheapest option even with TTS / master merchant unless you buy materials since they are common and can also be expensive purchases.
    For rarer items you do not you buy if price is reasonable.
    This does not apply to an global auction house. ESO population is not as large as WOW but wow has hundreds of servers, eso has only 6.

Now fixing QoL issues with shops as in text search and more options is an higher priority, like how MM let you have an history of searches so you can search for groups of items in multiple shops.
    Search would be pretty required in an auction house anyway or you would never find anything.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    zaria wrote: »
    This, then buying in an guild store you rarely bother to find the cheapest option even with TTS / master merchant unless you buy materials since they are common and can also be expensive purchases.
    For rarer items you do not you buy if price is reasonable.
    This does not apply to an global auction house. ESO population is not as large as WOW but wow has hundreds of servers, eso has only 6.

Now fixing QoL issues with shops as in text search and more options is an higher priority, like how MM let you have an history of searches so you can search for groups of items in multiple shops.
    Search would be pretty required in an auction house anyway or you would never find anything.

I'd rather still sell to the public of the entire game through an auction house than losing my only way of selling to the public if some rich guilds decided to monopolize the locations like they do in Xbox and Ps4.
  • Demion
    Demion
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No it makes for a more unique setting and a feeling that there is actually traders and guilds that do trades, then one NPC action house which its just outright a lazy simplistic system.

The UI and system for needs improvement as with guild UI and system
    @darksenechal - EU PC - Demion Samenel - Templar "The Reluctant Hero of Tamriel"
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This was answered years ago. Geez. Karma farming much?
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Demion wrote: »
    No it makes for a more unique setting and a feeling that there is actually traders and guilds that do trades, then one NPC action house which its just outright a lazy simplistic system.

Not lazy if everyone agrees with it, people that can't play 2+ hours a day love the Global Auction house
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Not lazy if everyone agrees with it, people that can't play 2+ hours a day love the Global Auction house

Every poll on the subject has shown to not be in favor of an AH
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Because they're all alt accounts
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

How do I know that those saying "yes" arent alts too?
  • HairyFairy
    HairyFairy
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

I just want to be able to easily navigate the damn traders, i don't mind going from town to town looking for items, but to look through the entire list searching for one specific thing is annoying to no end
    Hello darkness my old friend

HairyFairy- MagNB
    Scary-Fairy- MagDK
    HairyFairy's Kitty- StamNB
    Your a Lizard Hairy- MagSorc
    Jarl HairyFairy- StamDK
    Lord HairyFairy- MagPlar
    Craazy Fairy- StamSorc
    HairyFairy The Colossus - StamPlar
    Thanos Ender of Worlds - Stamcro
    Necro-*** - Magcro
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    All those saying yes to the auction house because the guild store system isn’t fun/is too much work, I’m curious how you propose to soak millions of gold out of the economy every single week? Not just guild store taxes but trader bids remove millions in gold from the economy, which is absolutely necessary to keep the game economy healthy. Would you be ok with 50% commissions in an auction house? A 40% reduction in gold dropped from all sources? A 150% increase in repair costs? Make the outfit system more expensive? What about a store-bought component required for all crafting recipes and upgrades? I’m curious what kind of gold sinks you think would be implemented to balance out the economy if Guild Traders were ever removed.