The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CP Gear Cap Increase, Do You Want It?

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I would like to stay with CP 160.
    Like many others I don't see the point in increasing the cap after One Tamriel.

You have to grind/farm/buy a full set of new gear and for what? So you can keep doing content you could have done anyway? With scaling any increase would be entirely arbitrary (which makes me think it's largely arbitrary in other games too, but that's a whole other conversation) - there's a lot of downsides for players and no benefit.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    whats the point of increasing it, if you'll just going to scaled up
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me new gear = end of the game. I won't go through all this gear grind again (almost a year - many toons many gear sets), no fracking way.
    Edited by Mayrael on September 10, 2017 9:44AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO!!! The RNG in this game is too damned high, if it increased again, I am sure there would be a mass exodus of players. Seriously, this game already has one of the worst gear grinds ever.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't see any positives with raising gearcap...so no, pls don't even think about it.
    Noobplar
  • CrisXD
    CrisXD
    ✭✭✭
    Some things should stay as they are
    PS4 EU
    Tamriel Dance Masters:
    AD - Altmer MagSorc, Altmer Magplar, Redguard StamBlade(PVP)
    EP - Nord Tank, Altmer MagSorc(PVP), Dunmer MagBlade(PVP)
    DC - Redguard StamWarden, Breton MagDK

GM - The Taverneers PS4 EU

Feeling Fresh Traders PS4 EU
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why? seriously justify why it would make the game better to increase CP or increase gear cp at this point.

all overland content is too easy- 4 max cp players steamroll thru any content if theyre minimaly competent.
    vMA used to take a good player about an hour- now top players smash thru it it 35 minutes. they need to curb the power creep.

the other fundamental reason is- by increasing cp continually- the game falls out of balance. the game needs balance , balance between classes, races, content, pve and pvp=- not just increasing numbers to make people think theirs some arbitrary progress. those idiots might by a new iphone cos it has a bigger number- but ther e is no inherent gaming improvement for doing so.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    I like round numbers, and a connection with the actual CP-level. It's just dumb that gear-level remained on the same for such long, so you can't feel any improvements.

BUT!

I'd like to see gear-cap raising ONLY if it would avoid ANY farming, so only with some mechanics like the upcoming Transmutation system (and awaiting for, and curious about Transmogrification also).
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like round numbers, and a connection with the actual CP-level. It's just dumb that gear-level remained on the same for such long, so you can't feel any improvements.

Since OneTamriel and the scaling system an increase in Gearcap wouldn't give you any improvements.
    Difficulty would stay the same in overland dungeons bc they will now scale to CP180 instead of CP160.
    The only difference to now would be: Other/more materials to farm to be able to craft the same gear 20 CP higher. Oh, and you will have to farm all the sets you own again.
    I honestly can't see any good with this. :|
    Noobplar
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    I wouldn't mind it if they have a valid reason to increase it (note: wanting people to redo all the grind is not a valid reason).

But if the cap was increased just for the sake of increasing the cap I would oppose it.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think they once mentionned in case they'd increase it they would implement an option to upgrade existing gear -that sounds good in theory - THE PROBLEM is that this option to upgrade would surely be something like the transmog stones we get now - eg. something you have to grind for...therefore replacing grind with grind...so no no NOOOO
  • Faint_One
    Faint_One
    ✭✭✭
    as I have 12 chars,I don't want to change gears for them
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, increase the gear cap!
    Whoops i totally checked the wrong box there, still not completely awake yet, but my vote is NO I do not want gear cap to increase, that will be the day I leave the game.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    Yeah, gear cap increase should be fine as long as we could upgrade our existing gear to, lets say cp200.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since One Tamriel launched, higher level gear doesn't make you stronger.

If you do 30k DPS now, you'll do 30k DPS at CP 200, CP 2000, or CP 20,000.

Why? Because enemy stats scale to the gear cap. Your damage output and your resistance will be identical at any gear level.

Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 10, 2017 11:47AM
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this game, been playing since console release and have more than 20 characters with 2 subs, have spent countless hundreds during my time here.

Would be my last day playing eso and my time and money would go towards a new game that doesn't screw over the majority of its player base for the few players who don't understand how scaling works, or are stuck in an outdated mindset, and there are TONS of new games coming out in the coming years. TONS.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Since One Tamriel launched, higher level gear doesn't make you stronger.

If you do 30k DPS now, you'll do 30k DPS at CP 200, CP 2000, or CP 20,000.

Why? Because enemy stats scale to the gear cap. Your damage output and your resistance will be identical at any gear level.

Not 100% accurate. Your DPS will increase by X%, but your enemys HP will increase by exactly the same amount...it will therefore not make any difference in strength...just bigger numbers...
    Noobplar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has yet to state how the game will be better if the gear cap is increased. Probably because there is nothing to be gained increasing the gear cap other than pissing off the players.

If the gear cap is raised, then the mobs are scaled up, and then guess what, we are all at the same place we were before, just with less mats. And an angry player base.

Introduce new sets or rework old ones. Add new skill lines and classes. Add content. Those are how you make the game better and more interesting.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even the most masochistic, most self-hating, life-hating misanthropists shy away from wishing for a gear cap increase. Why renew the most clichéd, most unoriginal concept of a grind in a game that's evolved past it?
    Edited by Vimora on September 10, 2017 12:18PM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Scaling and universal gear cap rise are counter designs.

Now ideally they could do selective gear rise to make subset special like say crafted can go to co 200 or asylum weapons but we all know eventually that would expand.

So no.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    Why do people make these threads?

There's absolutely no reason to up the gear level, other than people who want to grind new gear(LOL) because all they do is PVE and have ran the same content to the point where there's nothing left to do
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    I'm ok with it, as long as all our current gold-out pieces are automatically upgraded to the new cap and not have to redo every damn thing; then sure, why not..
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point? Everything just scales upwards lol because everyone will be in the new max gear.

This really only favours the no lifers who are ready to grind all over again and the rich who can pay for making their gear gold.

This would honestly be the worst decision ever made by ZOS. I have no idea how players are even for this but then again this is the eso forums so the same person who made this thread has a 85% of making a complaint thread about this if it ever happened.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but it is coming. With the announcement of transmog I would guess soon after that.
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    Yes, but only with a transmutation-like system (and easy to get stones...) for upgrading your existing stuff.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game already has scaling so it makes no sense. When they added CP160 they actually nerfed CP140 so the new gear was actually as strong as the old one had been. I guess they had no better ideas back then but they made up their mind with One Tamriel. It would be boring to re-farm/re-craft the same gear even with the gear re-trait function. Adding new content including sets at the same cap suffices to keep the game going.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Rustyfish101
    Rustyfish101
    ✭✭✭
    Never again. Neveragainneveragainneveragainneveragainneveragainneveragainneveragain.
    Tanks:
    Fishando - Dragonknight Tank - Master Crafter
    Healers:
    Rustyfish - Templar Healer
    Rozykinz - Warden Healer - Godslayer
    Bellafish - Dragonknight Healer
    Heals-With-Fish - Nightblade Healer
    Fishromancer - Necromancer Healer
    DPS:
    Rusted Rose - Magicka Sorcerer
    Unifish - Magicka Dragonknight
    Fishy Cakes - Magicka Templar
    Rosy Bell - Magicka Nightblade
    Rosyfish - Stamina Templar
    Rosy Fish - Stamina Warden
    Llamafish - Stamina Nightblade

PC/NA
    Founder of Mudcrab Knights, a friendly, welcoming, guild that teaches end game content, specifically trials to everyone who wants to learn!
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    I'm against the idea of a gear grind in general, so......
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    My explanation. For full context/more connected ideas follow the link:
    Then there is the issue of CP (champion point) level. I mean, you technically get more powerful and can eventually "over-level" the simplest content in the game, but what else do you do with it? Lower cp characters will still get battle-leveled up to whatever content players attempt, and while being over-leveled is an advantage being under-leveled isn't a huge issue since One Tamriel.

You can get better gear, up to champion level 160, but then what? The current cap for investing champion points, however many you may have earned, is sitting at 630 as of this writing. Why no gear increase for gear grind? I am at the cap of CP 630 but I wear CP 160 gear. The reason for no gear chase is that you get battle-leveled, so even when new content comes out, it doesn't matter what number you set the max gear level at. ZOS could eliminate gear level like they did for mobs and it would make no meaningful difference.

So what else could players get that might mean something? Other than over-leveling content with investing their points, what advantage could a player get for being CP 300 rather than CP 100? And given that ZOS keeps making it faster to earn CP every time the cap is raised, how would that advantage not be trivialized?

The system isn't just broken in terms of power creep, it lacks a solid purpose or identity.

I can only scratch the surface here right now, but, consider how the following suggestions could be specifically defined and expanded or used as inspiration for similar types of changes:
    • stop giving free boosts to the earning CP point curve when the CP cap is raised
    • start allowing players to earn such boosts in the game (opens up new rewards for in-game activities and achievements)
    • tie such boosts to key achievements in the game; you earn a key achievement, like completing Cadwell's Silver or Gold, or getting zone exploration and delve achivements, or getting dungeon achievements, get a boost toward earning CP
    • spread these boosts around and decide their strength to still allow players to catch up in a reasonable amount of time
    • start unlocking options outside of investing in champion system stars; you hit CP 100 you get access to something whether you bother to spend the points or not; focus here on lateral progression ideas

Best to start with that last bullet. Maybe you get more bag space. Increased mount speed. Better drop rates on rare items. A unique mount. I mean, you already technically get some costumes for reaching certain cp levels as a hold-over from the bonuses of reaching certain veteran ranks, so put your thinking caps on, ZOS. And if you revamped the crafting system, you could add some bonuses for that as well...
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, explain.
    All gear, no cap, no level. It adapts to your level/cp. Crafting Materials simplified to mere Ingot, Hide, Cloth, Wood. That will eliminate any concerns about upping the cap, trading gear with low level pugs during dungeons, and gives consistency to the node change of allowing only materials for your crafting level. Crafting progression remains tied to improvement on refining and tempering, traits and motifs. That will make much simpler to convert everything to anything, sell and trade.