The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should jumping during combat cost stamina?

Bhaal5
Bhaal5
✭✭✭✭✭
Running cost stamina, sneaking costs stamina, why doesnt jumping durning combat cost stamina?
Edited by Bhaal5 on September 6, 2017 2:24AM

Should jumping during combat cost stamina? 222 votes

Yes it should
26% 58 votes
No , i like jumping on flowers
73% 164 votes
  • ezeepeezee
    ezeepeezee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aside from my affinity for flower stomping, there is one serious consequence to this that you need to consider.

There are people who are very good at jumping from gap to gap on rock formations. They tend to get chased by people who are not. Those people chasing, after jumping a few times after missing the first time and trying to catch up, will be quickly dispatched when their stamina pool is drained from jumping.

This would be unpleasant to say the least.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jumping should cost stamina at all times, not just in combat.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And with a ice staff equipped it should cost magicka!
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When skills specifically designed for mobility (Refreshing Path) snare the caster on skill usage even though instant cast, jumping actually means you get a net gain of ground covered over its duration.

Also try picking out your target in a zerg when tab targeting doesn't work without jumping.

It's required and shouldn't cost stamina.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    When skills specifically designed for mobility (Refreshing Path) snare the caster on skill usage even though instant cast, jumping actually means you get a net gain of ground covered over its duration.

Also try picking out your target in a zerg when tab targeting doesn't work without jumping.

It's required and shouldn't cost stamina.

30984-167303-whosawesomejpg-620x.jpg
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, considering stamina is a resource pool for so much already I don't think it needs another cost added.

If they were to break dodges and jumps into a new pool then sure it could work.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am full in for a stamina cost.

Its not that people will not be able to jump anymore, bunnyhoppers will just have to adapt.

Unfortunately that question is similar to something like: "Should we increase tax rates?" most people will vote no because it would affect oneself in a negative way.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »

Its not that people will not be able to jump anymore, bunnyhoppers will just have to adapt.

Unfortunately that question is similar to something like: "Should we increase tax rates?" most people will vote no because it would affect oneself in a negative way.

Yeah but taxes (theoretically) are used for the good of society, how would decreasing the amount people jump affect anyone else positively (or negatively)?

What net gain is there to be achieved from making jumping cost stamina?
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »

Pretty much

If anything can effect combat/targeting/etc shouldnt it have a "cost". To sneak up on a target, cost stam. To sprint away from combat, cost stam. Thought it a fair question that to bunnyhop to effect targeting, shouldnt it cost stam?
    Edited by Bhaal5 on September 6, 2017 7:12AM
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »

Yeah but taxes (theoretically) are used for the good of society, how would decreasing the amount people jump affect anyone else positively (or negatively)?

What net gain is there to be achieved from making jumping cost stamina?

It will provide a bit more unforgiving experience. Its hard to tell abstract on the forum but I think in the end the more skilled jumpers will benefit, in cases much jumping is required - similar to a cost in dodge rolling. If dodge rolling would cost nothing, imagine how the combat will look like?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah man, let's stop this house of pain nonsense
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It used to, dont know why it doesnt anymore.
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i learned 2/3s of you are jumpers! nice! :-) i don't but keep jumping! it helps me identify is squishy! :-)
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Since jumping is over performing by so much, why not just make it so jump is a regular skill instead of a basic mechanic like walking and simply existing.

Ability: Jump
    Cost: 2k stamina
    Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds.
    Morph 1: Bunny Hop
    Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds. Each consecutive bounce reduces the cost by 25%
    Morph 2: Flawless Bounds
    Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds. If an affected pug is slain, summon one "nerf jumping" thread on the forums.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    Since jumping is over performing by so much, why not just make it so jump is a regular skill instead of a basic mechanic like walking and simply existing.

Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds.
    Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds. Each consecutive bounce reduces the cost by 25%
    Tooltip: Harness the power of muscular tension to thrust up off the ground, triggering up to 4 pugs for 10 seconds. If an affected pug is slain, summon one "nerf jumping" thread on the forums.

I honestly would not be opposed to a jumping skill to increase your jump height. You know, like TES -USED- to have. ^-^
  • Zouni
    Zouni
    ✭✭✭
    Swimming should cost stamina also if that is the case.
    Nyxtes - NB
    Nyxta - Sorc
    Mastrofonoss - DK
    Gr Blue - Temp
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why? It is not associated with any real benefits, sure its annoying, but what is the reason for making it cost stamina?
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ... And out of combat too ... But should have cost reduction under the dodge CP star
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah while we're at let's add weight to armor, instant death to meteors and stamina cost for doing heavy attacks with big ass greatswords
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah make jumping cost stamina. Apparently mobility hasnt been nerfed to sh*t already. Make jumping cost stamina so people can zerg those few solo players left even more.
  • IEatCivics
    IEatCivics
    ✭✭✭
    Looking left, right, up and down should cost magika because it's your toon's eyes, being controlled by it's brain, looking in a direction so they can do things such as jump and attack.
  • Svidrir
    Svidrir
    ✭✭✭
    It should cost stamina because people use it because of a game flaw, to avoid area damage.

Defensive spells claim resources and as people jump to increase their defense it would be more than normal to spend stamina to jump.

In addition, the guys are ridiculous, this will avoid seeing herds of kangaroo in play ....

kanagaroo-hoppin.gif

Elder scrolls of Kangaroos online .........

The other solution is that zenimax makes sure that the jumps do not protect the zone spells !! (best solution in my humble opinion)

Edited by Svidrir on September 11, 2017 9:56AM
    Ulaan Baator sorcier bdsm
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

:D
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2bcfed70abbe6daeac918a1760816357--funny-owls-funny-animals.jpg
  • Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭
    No reason at all to give juming stamina cost. Although I never jump (unless someone spooks me while I am travelling with my horse.
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    Running cost stamina, sneaking costs stamina, why doesnt jumping durning combat cost stamina?

No, it should cost ultimate.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People that literally hop up and down the entire fight should have resource drain like the totem in ruins of mazzatun do to you.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.

Without question, one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

No offense intended, of course.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if they were to reduce the stamina cost of dodge roll, break free, sprint, and all of the rest by a percentage so that all of the maneuvers that cost stamina with jump included still had the same overall cost. Just have jump take a percentage of each of the others and absorb that cost.

Crude Example:

sprint 1000 to 800
    rolldodge 1000 to 800
    block 1000 to 800
    breakfree 1000 to 800
    jump 0 to 800

total 4000 4000

This way for those who don't jump, bunny hop etc. it is actually a buff?