The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How to balance Mag Sorcs ?

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff other classes but dont nerf Mag Sorcs
    olsborg wrote: »
    Shieldstacking and restoult is the only thing that needs to get nerfed, not sorcs specifcly.

They have a hard time with addressing shield stacking.

They did the battle spirit nerf to reduce strength which only seemed to screw classes with health shields. At least until health tanks became a thing. They weren't at the time and there were soft caps back then and no real procs to ignore building your damage and sustain

They then reduced them all to 6 seconds which really did nothing for using them under pressure. It just made it tedious outside of combat.

I actually can't blame them too much. Not sure what they could do to address it that also wouldn't end light armor in PVP outside of magblades
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Shieldstacking and restoult is the only thing that needs to get nerfed, not sorcs specifcly.

They did the battle spirit nerf to reduce strength which only seemed to screw classes with health shields. At least until health tanks became a thing. They weren't at the time and there were soft caps back then and no real procs to ignore building your damage and sustain

They then reduced them all to 6 seconds which really did nothing for using them under pressure. It just made it tedious outside of combat.

I actually can't blame them too much. Not sure what they could do to address it that also wouldn't end light armor in PVP outside of magblades

Remove the ability to stack the shields. It really isnt that hard.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

1) Reduce Bastion CP boni - 25% is a lot actual, probably have to equal shattering blows as well

2) Reduce how good shields scale with max magicka - I think I read that 1k mag equals in 400-500 bonus shield strength, have to look up the exact numbers. But having shields with 35k max mag is no issue, it get's problematic with high resource buids

3) In addition to 2), adjust shields base strength so "normal" builds don't get the bad end of it

4) Make them scale with max mag + max spell dmg instead of only max mag

5) introduce a major/ minor ward system

6) introduce a debuff to shields strength, something equal to defile. Had to be in balance with shattering blows and probably a counter in form of a shield buff

7) give shields resistance, therefore be affected by penetration but make them critable for both ends - the user and the attacker

8) introduce a hard cap how high shields can be altogether

9) Let minor and major protection not affect shields

10) Let part of the damage go through shields e.g. what would have been the extra part above the crit damage (above 0.5 modifier)

11) Increase strength but add a fatigue like for dodge and streak

12) bring back softcaps

See, there are some options Zeni could go to. Some are better than others, some are outright bad.

I'd prefer 2 + 3 and 9, but who am I?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mag Sorcs are fine bro...yes...surely they are ....i swear
    pieratsos wrote: »

Do you think?

How would that work then..? Would you have the latest-cast shield overwrite the current one?

So.. sorc casts hardened ward - gets a 12k shield.. Immediately followed by a nearby DK casting igneous - replacing that 12k shield with a 1.5k shield..?

Any mag class has a strong shield up, is under pressure, has taken damage (oblivion perhaps?) needs to heal, casts healing ward - loses his other shield in place of a weaker one?

All sets/enchants/abilities which grant small(ish) shields suddenly become useless as using them would be a hinderance, not a help.

Edited by Biro123 on August 9, 2017 1:33PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Do you think?

How would that work then..? Would you have the latest-cast shield overwrite the current one?

So.. sorc casts hardened ward - gets a 12k shield.. Immediately followed by a nearby DK casting igneous - replacing that 12k shield with a 1.5k shield..?

Any mag class has a strong shield up, is under pressure, has taken damage (oblivion perhaps?) needs to heal, casts healing ward - loses his other shield in place of a weaker one?

All sets/enchants/abilities which grant small(ish) shields suddenly become useless as using them would be a hinderance, not a help.

Obviously they will adjust how certain things work. Like igneous from allies or healing ward + other shields. I didnt say to implement a mechanic without testing anything. Im not that stupid. The point is harness/dampen and hardened wont stack. If you prefer, just make those 2 not stacking.
    Edited by pieratsos on August 9, 2017 2:55PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you think?

Obviously they will adjust how certain things work. Like igneous from allies or healing ward + other shields. I didnt say to implement a mechanic without testing anything. Im not that stupid. The point is harness/dampen and hardened wont stack. If you prefer, just make those 2 not stacking.

See, that's the thing.. and I don't mean to come across as awkward - but this is an excellent example of the kind of stuff I get every day in my job as a software developer - so I kind of automatically fall into 'clarify the requirements' mode. The only comment of yours that I take issue with is the 'it really isn't that hard' part.

Because I get that from our users sometimes.. some very vague requirement of .. just do x.. - its not hard.. But then you ask them for specifics.. 'When you say just do X, what do you REALLY mean by that? do you really mean you want this to happen? cos that's what you said... What about Y? If you do that with X, won't this happen with Y? And this 'not that hard' but suddenly becomes too hard for the users because they suddenly realise that there will be consequences to the change they are asking for which they obviously hadn't thought about - and then they become reluctant to confirm whether they want these consequences or not - or if they want them adjusting too... then you get consequences of that.. That's the thing with software. You have to REALLY know what you're asking for.

Then all of a sudden the 'its not that hard' bit has kind of stopped the developer before he's even touched any code..

And then quite a big part... Without knowing how their code is written/architected, how do you know if a change is simple or complex? Sometimes the simplest of changes can be quite complex just because they don't fit in with the architecture or data structures.. Or required information just isn't available at that point in the code etc..

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • yttoks
    yttoks
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to the bounty board to turn one in, and I see that Kill Sorcs quest pop up, I smile a little inside because I know I'll be back to the board pretty quick.

Sure, there's a lot of them and that makes it easier to get 20, but mostly they're just easy to kill. They're also dangerous with all that burst. Makes for good fun.

Let 'em have their toys. They're still gonna die ugly.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think?

See, that's the thing.. and I don't mean to come across as awkward - but this is an excellent example of the kind of stuff I get every day in my job as a software developer - so I kind of automatically fall into 'clarify the requirements' mode. The only comment of yours that I take issue with is the 'it really isn't that hard' part.

Because I get that from our users sometimes.. some very vague requirement of .. just do x.. - its not hard.. But then you ask them for specifics.. 'When you say just do X, what do you REALLY mean by that? do you really mean you want this to happen? cos that's what you said... What about Y? If you do that with X, won't this happen with Y? And this 'not that hard' but suddenly becomes too hard for the users because they suddenly realise that there will be consequences to the change they are asking for which they obviously hadn't thought about - and then they become reluctant to confirm whether they want these consequences or not - or if they want them adjusting too... then you get consequences of that.. That's the thing with software. You have to REALLY know what you're asking for.

Then all of a sudden the 'its not that hard' bit has kind of stopped the developer before he's even touched any code..

And then quite a big part... Without knowing how their code is written/architected, how do you know if a change is simple or complex? Sometimes the simplest of changes can be quite complex just because they don't fit in with the architecture or data structures.. Or required information just isn't available at that point in the code etc..

I agree. "Just do this, it can't be that hard" heh it IS that hard. It really is.

What if they said, "make the shields have the same buff." We can't stack major expedition on top of major expedition right?. So maybe have the shields grant the same buffs so they can't work at the same time. Major protection or something.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Do you think?

The argument of how do you know their code and if its easy or hard to change is getting old. Its their job.
    But it really isnt that hard. Abilities that doesnt stack already exist in the game. They are called major/minor buffs. If its somehow so impossible to make them not stack then change them to major/minor buffs. Same crap. They may not get it perfect from the first time but you have to start from somewhere.

• pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

Do you think?

I agree. "Just do this, it can't be that hard" heh it IS that hard. It really is.

What if they said, "make the shields have the same buff." We can't stack major expedition on top of major expedition right?. So maybe have the shields grant the same buffs so they can't work at the same time. Major protection or something.

So its not that hard is it? I mean you literally proposed a suggestion that does the exact same thing.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think?

So its not that hard is it? I mean you literally proposed a suggestion that does the exact same thing.

It's not hard to suggest. It may be hard to implement. If shields are coded the same as buffs then yeah, could possibly be easy. But if shields act differently than buffs (more variables determine the strength of shield, can be depleted by factors other than time like damage) then it could possibly be hard. You and I don't know so we can't say with authority how easy it could be.
    Edited by max_only on August 9, 2017 5:43PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Do you think?

It's not hard to suggest. It may be hard to implement. If shields are coded the same as buffs then yeah, could possibly be easy. But if shields act differently than buffs (more variables determine the strength of shield, can be depleted by factors other than time like damage) then it could possibly be hard. You and I don't know so we can't say with authority how easy it could be.

Its not hard to identify the problem and the solution. When its ur job you find a way to do it. Like i said the argument "it may not be as easy as it looks" is getting old. And in this particular case is most certainly not an excuse. Its not a problem that came up yesterday. Its a problem we have for like 2 years. There is no excuse.

And what part of hard to implement is so hard when the concept of major/minor buffs not stacking already exists in the game?
    Edited by pieratsos on August 9, 2017 6:07PM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor shield and Major shields is all that needs to happen so solve everyone's issues.

Anything more then that. Would be a blanket magicka nerf.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They've already nerfed shields enough. Personally I hate the play style of shield stacking. I just don't find it fun to constantly have to recast every 6 seconds. I used to use combos of Spell/Physical resistance like Combat Prayer, Boundless Storm, and Bound Armor. But the Minor/Major system made that impossible.

Shield stacking is now the only way for Sorcs to mitigate. And it's an irritating play style that is balanced by the penalty of slipping up.

If you get hard CC'ed one time while your shield is down, you're gonna melt. Sorcs without shields are paper.

Again, Sorcs are a high skill cap class. Most players can't be good with them. The best players can be great with them.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you think magsorc has too much burst you have never played against aggressive warden builds.

For real, magsorc is not too strong, it may feel overpowered when 1vXing PvE players trying to level PvP-Skilllines, since sorc is simply good at confusing people that don't know what they are doing. But in fights against equally experienced opponents sorc is good, but not overly good.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)