The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Port to Friend's House

Damianos
Damianos
✭✭✭✭
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1758-PorttoFriendsHouse.html

I recently came across this addon, and while it seems like a good idea for some I am both concerned and excited for it.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober

This addon allows people to travel to someone's home, even even if they are offline and it is not their primary residence. To me, this is not how the system is intended to work but at the same time there is some great potential for it (from an RP standpoint).

Is using this against the TOS as the system was not made for us to travel to any other home except the primary?

Best Answers

• InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys

As the author of this addon I might add / clarify a few things. Btw. you will find a link in my signature to the thread i created here on the forum where I've introduced the addon.

In the German thread about the addon, someone tried to argue about it in a similar way as the OP does here (ZOS didn't care btw.).

The point is that ZOS implemented the specific API a while ago (after the lunch of homestead, so this was a feature that has been introduced at a later point in time). See this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/335644/update-14-api-patch-notes-change-log-pts
    Miscellaneous
    JumpToSpecificHouse(displayName, houseId)
    PreviewItemLink(itemLink, dyeBrushId)
    GetItemLinkGrantedRecipeIndices(itemLink) – recipeListIndex, recipeIndex

So ZOS explicitly made this functionality available to addon authors. Why should they make this available when they don't want people to use it? This wouldn't make much sense.

So what we have here is functionality provided by ZOS that has been announced on the forums. Of course, you may not like it and you may complain and tag some ZOS employees. I guess that's your right. I just don't think that will change anything as this decision has been made by ZOS.

If you do not want people in your house, please adjust the rights of your house to prevent people from visiting them. That's what ZOS wants (imho).

edit: "deleted" the OP line as I've misread it the first time. I hope this post answers your questions to a certain degree.
    Edited by InvitationNotFound on July 26, 2017 9:59AM
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
    Answer ✓
  • Damianos
    Damianos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys

As the author of this addon I might add / clarify a few things. Btw. you will find a link in my signature to the thread i created here on the forum where I've introduced the addon.

In the German thread about the addon, someone tried to argue about it in a similar way as the OP does here (ZOS didn't care btw.).

The point is that ZOS implemented the specific API a while ago (after the lunch of homestead, so this was a feature that has been introduced at a later point in time). See this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/335644/update-14-api-patch-notes-change-log-pts
    Miscellaneous

So ZOS explicitly made this functionality available to addon authors. Why should they make this available when they don't want people to use it? This wouldn't make much sense.

So what we have here is functionality provided by ZOS that has been announced on the forums. Of course, you may not like it and you may complain and tag some ZOS employees. I guess that's your right. I just don't think that will change anything as this decision has been made by ZOS.

If you do not want people in your house, please adjust the rights of your house to prevent people from visiting them. That's what ZOS wants (imho).

edit: "deleted" the OP line as I've misread it the first time. I hope this post answers your questions to a certain degree.

Just want to make sure there is no bannings for using this mod. Thanks for responding and creating it, it will be very useful for many of my guildies!
    Answer ✓
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest.. I highly doubt you will get an actual answer on this.

On another note, it appears that any time that Zos does not like what an addon does - they intentionally break it by changing the API. So that's the most likely thing to happen if they don't like it. I've never heard of anyone being banned for using an addon, even ones Zos has intentionally broken.

They probably don't say "Yeah it's fine to use!" since they may change their mind later about it.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Damianos
    Damianos
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

On another note, it appears that any time that Zos does not like what an addon does - they intentionally break it by changing the API. So that's the most likely thing to happen if they don't like it. I've never heard of anyone being banned for using an addon, even ones Zos has intentionally broken.

They probably don't say "Yeah it's fine to use!" since they may change their mind later about it.

Actually, there have been a few addons that people were banned for using. An prime example was the banked item stacking.

Some people in one of my guilds literally used this about 10 minutes ago to access some people's houses that were offline.
    Edited by Damianos on July 25, 2017 9:49PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Some of the automail addons come to mind as a counterexample. But, this should be fine. I mean, this isn't adding any functionality the game doesn't already support, it's just making it easier to manage.
  • mmogamerperson
    mmogamerperson
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to search through the patch notes for it, but opening the other houses was something that was deliberately done by ZOS and noted in the patch note. There had also been extensive communications between addon developers and ZOS on http://www.esoui.com. You can check the forums there if you wish further details.
    The only Sane people in the world are those that are iNsAnE, and know it...
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I wonder whether this is stable and will make me crash or if its worst installing
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel as though the ability to port to other people's publicly accessible, second (or third or tenth) home was lacking from the initial implementation of player housing. I feel like, so long as the API respects the home owners' permission settings (which the API does so far as I have seen), this is a great addition that fills a gap in the existing functionality.

I hope that they keep this add on and the supporting API the same. <3
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R_K wrote: »
    I feel as though the ability to port to other people's publicly accessible, second (or third or tenth) home was lacking from the initial implementation of player housing. I feel like, so long as the API respects the home owners' permission settings (which the API does so far as I have seen), this is a great addition that fills a gap in the existing functionality.

Yes

I actually hope they include it, in the base game some day :)
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys

Miscellaneous

Thanks. Has this addon revealed itself to make people crash ? or the fact that it is only active during TP phase make it safe to use without creating other issues ?

Nice contribution for the community thanks :)))
    Edited by Morgul667 on July 26, 2017 9:38AM
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder whether this is stable and will make me crash or if its worst installing

In the current state I consider it stable. There shouldn't be crashes or error message. If you discover any issues, please post your feedback either on the esoui addon page or on the addon thread i started here on the forums and i'll look into it as soon as possible.

Yes, this is missing in the base game and i was surprised that the API for it exists. The addon respectively the API respects the permissions. It's a bit of a pain as the API is poorly written in my opinion and as an author, the control i have about return values or about the things that are happening (is it possible to port) are very restricted. E.g. it is not possible to query which houses a player owns, which means that I have to display always all houses in the dropdown.

Anyway, I might add a new feature soon after the pvp event (which sucks, but consumes a lot of my time >_<).

We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In the current state I consider it stable. There shouldn't be crashes or error message. If you discover any issues, please post your feedback either on the esoui addon page or on the addon thread i started here on the forums and i'll look into it as soon as possible.

Yes, this is missing in the base game and i was surprised that the API for it exists. The addon respectively the API respects the permissions. It's a bit of a pain as the API is poorly written in my opinion and as an author, the control i have about return values or about the things that are happening (is it possible to port) are very restricted. E.g. it is not possible to query which houses a player owns, which means that I have to display always all houses in the dropdown.

Anyway, I might add a new feature soon after the pvp event (which sucks, but consumes a lot of my time >_<).

Thanks

Great stuff :)
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys

Miscellaneous

Thanks. Has this addon revealed itself to make people crash ? or the fact that it is only active during TP phase make it safe to use without creating other issues ?

Nice contribution for the community thanks :)))

If you are porting to another player, the following call is being issued: JumpToSpecificHouse(displayName, houseId)

I do not have any control of what is happening when calling this function. But as far as I know, the following is happening:
    1) If the account doesn't exist, a message will be generated (I have no control over that message - the addon is not aware if a port actually worked.)
    2) If the house doesn't exist, you will receive a message (again, I have no control over the message - the addon is not aware if a port actually worked.)
    3) If you do not have the permissions needed to enter a house, a message will be generated (no control over the message as well - the addon is not aware if a port actually worked.)
    4) If everything is okay, it will port you to the house. From what I've seen, it completely looks like you're porting to another place the same way as you manually port to another location.

So I personally have no control over crashes when porting. I haven't received any crash reports or experienced any crashes so far. I highly doubt that there will be any issues. Anyway, if something isn't working as expected, feel free to post a report on esoui or in the addon thread I've created.

I hope this helps. ;)

Addons: