Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Is ESO community friendly? Toxic? Somewhere in between? You decide!

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to make a statement on this forum, good - bad or indifferent, without being attacked or mocked or made the victim of some "humorist" who thinks he's a good deal funnier than he is.

Who cares about others??
    It's like the first time you did a number 2 in the school as a kid. You realized that nobody can stop from doing a smelly #2 with lots of farts. Nobody can stop you from posting.
    As long as you promote your position HOPING to catch ZOS attention who cares about others??
    As for those humorists, I find it sad that they think they are important because they did a #2 at your threads.
    Personally the more humorists in a thread, and the more toxic the conversation becomes you increase your chances to get a moderator to read your original post. And then who knows.

You are a naughty child and that's concentrated evil coming out of you
    Edited by Waffennacht on July 7, 2017 5:10PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is fairly non-toxic, at least most of the time.
    The forums are poisonous as heck. I've seen so much bullying and harassment on these forums that I wouldn't be surprised if it made some people leave the game. I think the mods just let the bullying and trolling go on for so long that people think it's OK now. Basically, they only seem to care if people use a bad word, or write something racist.
    When you're playing the game, though, you don't see so much of it, and the game is really incredible.

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 7, 2017 5:13PM
    Options
  • COFFAN
    COFFAN
    ✭✭
    It's toxic is you get offended easily... and friendly if you know how to take a punch
    Tee hee
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the more toxic the conversation becomes you increase your chances to get a moderator to read your original post. And then who knows.
    Then they will go about moderating the topic because they're moderators and not developers. :tongue:

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Rikkof
    Rikkof
    ✭✭✭
    Worst community from all MMO's combined, hands down.
    Take a look at the posts rolling right now on main page, most are:
    1. click bait trolls
    2. nerf requests posted mostly to create bad atmosphere and to draw in trolling
    3. hackusations, insults
    4. trolls
    5. trolls
    6. trolls
    7. and some more trolls afterwards

I play many MMO's and many online games, but from all, combined even, this game has got to have the worst community ever, both in game and on forums
    The forums in particular are atrocious, i remember 1 and a half month ago how i got attacked on my first post ever on this forum by the troll army, i was barely 2 weeks into the game, even if that.
    Many players here are f2p loaders tho, and these are the worst type of gamers a game can attract, sadly.
    I would vote yes in a glimpse for a mandatory subscription, this will clear a lot of issues.

Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay out of PvP and trials and your fine, also don't mention anything political in zone chat.

PvP is about as toxic as a barrel of radioactive waste

What happens if you get political in the middle of PvP and trials?
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
    Options
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    The game is fairly non-toxic, at least most of the time.
    The forums are poisonous as heck. I've seen so much bullying and harassment on these forums that I wouldn't be surprised if it made some people leave the game. I think the mods just let the bullying and trolling go on for so long that people think it's OK now. Basically, they only seem to care if people use a bad word, or write something racist.
    When you're playing the game, though, you don't see so much of it, and the game is really incredible.

I find your response interesting given the moderators' propensity for pro-actively protecting anyone who might have a thin skin. I realise I'm on thin ice here with regard to the site rules, so I'll leave it at that.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
    Options
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rootimus wrote: »
    the more toxic the topic becomes you increase your chances to get a moderator to read your original post. And then who knows.

Except most of them are Bethesda moderators, not ZOS moderators. Most of them probably don't have much clue what ESO is and they're not likely to go running to the devs because they've seen a good idea. If they were actually ZOS employees and part of the ESO community team, like in pretty much any other game, you'd likely have a point.

Look I post topics all the time about what I find wrong with this game and people HATE IT. In the 100+ replies to a topic all they do is agree with each other, troll and keep the topic in the front page.

Now back to just before DB came out I was campaigning heavily to improve DW for PvP because it was useless with its 9s Major Brutality, it's long flurry animation and useless morphs.
    Little did I know DW got improved.

I wanted heavy armor to be buffed because not even the PvP tanks were using it so I was going hard for it

And when they wanted to make stamDKs spew vomit like zombies I would make 5 posts a day against it. All the non stamDKs would troll mercilessly.

People love trolling. You gotta say what you want and stay within the rules.

There are other forums about ESO as well. Your ideas will never be sillenced.

Edited by GeorgeBlack on July 7, 2017 5:21PM
    Options
  • Rikkof
    Rikkof
    ✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    My personal experience is that ESO community is pretty average overall. There are some on the extremes, very friendly or very toxic, but overall the ESO Community has been very.. steady. WoW for me was the worst example of MMO community while TSW (The Secret World) and FF14 community have been the best.

Compared to ESO forums, WoW forum is made of angels, hell, even LoL forums are friendly compared to this boards...
    Have you looked on the first page to see how many click baits, troll posts and nerf requests made to inflame the community are made?
    Take a look...this forum is infected with trolls and griefers, players who abuse others verbally, that ask for nerfs just to cause a toxic atmosphere ( just one post today i have seen for example, the one who is asking for sorc pets to be removed , other claiming sorcs are cheaters) and so on
    These players should be banned man, really the forum is becoming a no go zone lately
    Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the more toxic the topic becomes you increase your chances to get a moderator to read your original post. And then who knows.

Except most of them are Bethesda moderators, not ZOS moderators. Most of them probably don't have much clue what ESO is and they're not likely to go running to the devs because they've seen a good idea. If they were actually ZOS employees and part of the ESO community team, like in pretty much any other game, you'd likely have a point.

Look I post topics all the time about what I find wrong with this game and people HATE IT. In the 100+ replies to a topic all they do is agree with each other, troll and keep the topic in the front page.

Now back to just before DB came out I was campaigning heavily to improve DW for PvP because it was useless with its 9s Major Brutality, it's long flurry animation and useless morphs.

I wanted heavy armor to be buffed because not even the PvP tanks were using it so I was going hard for it

And when they wanted to make stamDKs spew vomit like zombies I would make 5 posts a day against it. All the non stamDKs would troll mercilessly.

People love trolling. You gotta keep say what you want and stay within the rules.

I encourage you to keep posting what you feel to be true :) Ignore the trolls, literally, that's what I do. Just put them on ignore and never have to see their texts ever again.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Options
  • Rikkof
    Rikkof
    ✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    It used to be really good.

A lot of us are sick of being sh*t on by ZOS though.

And this is the reason players attack and troll players instead? Because they are tired of ZOS way of doing things?
    Because i was barely 2 weeks into the game and my very first post got shut down by trolls, i got verbally abused, hate tells in game and so on due to that.
    The forum is toxic and is becoming a no go zone because the players are toxic, it's a thing ahppening on most f2p games where there are no consequences for their actions
    Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikkof wrote: »
    My personal experience is that ESO community is pretty average overall. There are some on the extremes, very friendly or very toxic, but overall the ESO Community has been very.. steady. WoW for me was the worst example of MMO community while TSW (The Secret World) and FF14 community have been the best.

Compared to ESO forums, WoW forum is made of angels, hell, even LoL forums are friendly compared to this boards...
    Have you looked on the first page to see how many click baits, troll posts and nerf requests made to inflame the community are made?
    Take a look...this forum is infected with trolls and griefers, players who abuse others verbally, that ask for nerfs just to cause a toxic atmosphere ( just one post today i have seen for example, the one who is asking for sorc pets to be removed , other claiming sorcs are cheaters) and so on
    These players should be banned man, really the forum is becoming a no go zone lately

I'm speaking from experience from both forum and ingame. Yes I do find that ESO forums are generally toxic, but ingame it's different. I haven't really been to WoW forums but ingame players were more toxic than any other games I've played. So in ESO, either friendly players are silent or don't use ESO forum or toxic players act different ingame. Regardless, my overall experience with ESO community = neutral.
    Edited by Megabear on July 7, 2017 5:24PM
    Server - PC/NA
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People love trolling. You gotta keep say what you want and stay within the rules.

I encourage you to keep posting what you feel to be true :) Ignore the trolls, literally, that's what I do. Just put them on ignore and never have to see their texts ever again.
    Now I know why half the forums doesn't listen to me...
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Essentially the same as every other MMO community.

You've got your bad eggs and your good eggs.

The only thing that makes this one possibly a littler worse is the way people feel about non max cp players in the dungeon queue.
    Options
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is beyond the average level of toxicity.
    Options
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to vote. I think ESO has a very standard elder/moderate community with helpful and unhelpful players alike.

However, I think ESO has an exceptionally toxic 'new' community. Not meaning new players, but rather those of inexperience for any reason. I have consistently over 2+ years playing this game had a hard time getting people to accept help. It's such a simple process in other games I play, in the workplace with new coworkers, or just friends/family/randos IRL...

Ask a question, do you get this or that?
    Proceed to a basic literal explanation, see if this gets them on their way
    If necessary, try to get in-depth. More specific about what tools or methods are necessary or recommended.

Here in ESO, this is often met with dead silence at any point in the chain. If not silence, anti-social or insulting remarks towards me "Let me do this my way" "shut up elitist" etc. Someone could try blaming this on me, but well... I'm the epitome of patience with new players, so long as they're receptive to help. I always kept lower level food, potions, gear crafting materials on hand in case of an extended stay with someone(s) who was learning. Dungeoneering (with pugs!) used to be my favorite thing to do in this game. Now? I haven't logged in in a couple weeks, and haven't done a dungeon in months.

Also LOL at people equating us forum troglodites with the game over-all. I'm absolutely certain most people playing this game don't know we exist, if they have ever even seen an internet forum before.
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on July 7, 2017 5:33PM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
    Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Now I know why half the forums doesn't listen to me...

Lol!
    Server - PC/NA
    Options
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find late game and top tier players to be pretty toxic sometimes. Like anything tho it's a handful of people.

PVP, personal experience there's just too much bitching amongst everyone. Even within the same alliance. It's like everyone hates one another lmao. Also, too much "if I see you playing another alliance you're not running with me no more". This happens far too often. I was even booted from a guild a while back because I was in a group with another dude, in the same dam alliance lmao
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I should probably actually answer now rather than just trolling Megabear's thread.

I've made comments in the past about how I believe the community is toxic, but that's mostly from my own bad experiences and butting heads with people. I don't think it's ever helped by the fact I am stubborn and opinionated.

I think there are toxic people, like with everything in life. However having come back from a small hiatus and taking on the game with a different view I have found it less toxic and much more enjoyable.

If you find something or someone toxic just cut it out of your life if possible, you'll have a much happier time with the game and your own mental health.
    Options
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess at it not being toxic. Unless someone has seen Britney Spears to verify it I need to see it to believe it.
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on July 7, 2017 5:43PM
    Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess at it not being toxic. Unless someone has seen Britney Spears to verify it I need to see it to believe it.

472QbZA.jpg
    Server - PC/NA
    Options
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭

472QbZA.jpg

WRONG SONG!
    Options
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's like asking if people in China are friendly.

Thinking you can make generalized statements about millions of people is pretty silly.
    Options
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say based on the response choices. Forum community and in-game community are polar opposites. (mainly because I can ignore /zone chat in game and only focus on guild/group communications). Forums get a Very Toxic vote for me, but in-game since all I deal with is guild, it's Very Friendly.
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neutral. Some are toxic af, some are even worse, like me. On the other hand, there are nice, helpful, respectful ppl.
    Options
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some are friendly, some are toxic. I was sure that PvP is friendly and mature (I was playing on below 50 campaign), then I hit cp rank and when I joined campaign with 630 cp rank players, chat was like "Omg you are magsorc and died as emp?", "Now every low kid can become emp!" and many unjustified curses. Looks like some ppl spent too much time in this game and taking it too seriously. Still better than WoW, tho.
    Edited by Shardan4968 on July 7, 2017 5:55PM
    PC/EU
    Options
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've met good friends through eso, and from what I've seen through zone chat and guild chats, it seems somewhat friendly. There's always going to be some toxic people, but I think the good outweigh the bad.

Then again, I do mainly just talk to guildies, do dungeons and solo some stuff. Maybe I'm just not interacting enough, and I definitely stay out of PvP.
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
    Options
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of people I've met are very kind, helpful, just great fun to play with and hang out with.

As in every game, however, there are toxic people as well. My own experience has been largely positive, however.
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
    Options
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMO forums are toxic by default.
    Options