Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Is ESO community friendly? Toxic? Somewhere in between? You decide!

• SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played from launch until Murkmire before taking a break. In that time the most "toxic" thing I ever heard or saw was matchmaking fights - things like classes queue'ing up for incorrect roles, or people fighting over DPS numbers...things like that. Very minor. 95% of people were super friendly.

I came back about a week ago and man...zone chat is pretty annoying now lol. Nonstop political BS. Trolling, flaming. Spam. I had to just turn it off. I haven't even been back to Cyrodiil yet :P . What the heck happened?

Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    where's the option for "Autistic"? now seriously, ppl don't interact outside cyro and cyro is 90% toxic

And 87% of statistics are made up. If by 90% toxic you mean that there are usually 4 to 5 people spamming the chat with 90% of the messages and they often devolve into jokes, sure.

90% of people in Cyrodiil are too busy fighting to type, let alone type “toxic” messages.
    Options
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here? It's pretty bad.

In-game? People are great.

I'm guilty of this too... the forums seem to bring out the worst in me but I'm pretty *** nice in-game. If someone's being a jerk I'll usually just ignore it save the occasional yelling at people for using offensive words...

Edit: like this
    where's the option for "Autistic"? now seriously, ppl don't interact outside cyro and cyro is 90% toxic

People tossing around "autistic" or the r-word as insults like it's nothing. The latter is straight-up offensive, and as for the former- how do you think that it makes the people who actually *are* on the autism spectrum feel that people use it as an insult?
    Edited by SidraWillowsky on June 4, 2019 2:22PM
    Options
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    So friendly that's toxic...

Just kidding most people are really nice, but there's always the ones of Hardcore Meta, gotta go fast, you have 35k DPS? LOOOOOWWWW, Ban all non-CP810 players here, TP to FG1, NEERRRDDSSS (This one always on PVP, i find fun)
    Edited by yRaven on June 4, 2019 2:33PM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
    Options
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you mean forums then extremely toxic and bland.

if by in game then mostly positive but a lot of sour apples that can really ruin the experience. as the game gets more popular this will become increasingly true.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
    Options
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    Edited to ESO community, the poll is anonymous.

My experience with the ESO community can be summed up by: "As long as you don't have an opinion about changing literally anything in the game, even if it'd be a positive benefit for literally everyone and the game itself, you're fine and will enjoy yourself. If you do, you'll probably get a headache at how many people are stupid enough to just not want change because it's change, instead of providing actual reasons for whatever you suggested to not be in the game."

That seems to be the main thing this community has negative about it, I've seen.

Vampire changes to make them less of a passive class so not everyone and their mother are taking it? Don't want Twilight online/for some reason can't see how IN A UNIVERSE WITH OVER LIKE 50 VAMPIRE BLOODLINES there can be better options for vampires.

Necromancer being added as a class? Would never work because MuH lOrE says otherwise.

God forbid adding in anymore new staves? Why not just use the staves we already have.

Skeletal dragon over big pile of flesh? WhErE ArE wE GoiNg To GeT tHe BonEs FoR iT. (Admittedly being against this topic is fair, but some of the responses I've seen to such are extremely stupid, like this one ^)

Give sorcerer the chance to summon more than just a storm atronach, possibly change the morphs of the storm one to both a fire and ice option. WhY should sorcerers be able to summon more daedra. It's fine as is and would be an unnecessary change as well as be harder to balance. Also it doesn't fit their LiGhTniNg ThEmE.

Actually being excited for spellcrafting? Would be too hard to balance and should never be in the game.

Like some of the responses I've gotten from these threads have been literally the most close-minded statements I've ever read about possible change in a game.
    Options
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The PvP community is pretty toxic. This is to be expected due to the nature of PvP. With that said, ESO doesn't have a competitive scene so it's hard to understand where the toxicity comes from. I played WoW for a while and i don't remember players ever being so toxic. At one point during the MoP expansion, DDOSing was a common trend so you had to be careful with Skype, but that stopped being a thing the moment discord came out.

Just realized this is a necro from 2017...
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on June 4, 2019 4:03PM
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
    Options
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "toxic" and "elitist" get thrown around a lot in this game, mostly by people who prefer to deflect their own insecurities. With that said, there are toxic people in this (after all this is a multiplayer game) and "elitist" but I throw those in with toxic people. Anyway, those terms are overloaded in ESO and improperly used very often, it's really diminished their meaning for me anytime I read someone using them, I typically roll my eyes.
    Edited by cheifsoap on June 4, 2019 4:08PM
    Options
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the eso community are friendly and kind people. There is really small % of toxic people. At least in my experience.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same as every other mmo I have played.
    Options
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to make a statement on this forum, good - bad or indifferent, without being attacked or mocked or made the victim of some "humorist" who thinks he's a good deal funnier than he is.

I resent and resemble that comment good sir, unfortunately it's much more fun to tank the forums then actually do it in game currently. But I think this community is much nicer then I would expect for a 5 year mature MMO
    Edited by Wifeaggro13 on June 4, 2019 5:32PM
    Options
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love you all. EMBRACE ME!!!
    Options
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    My personal experience is that ESO community is pretty average overall. There are some on the extremes, very friendly or very toxic, but overall the ESO Community has been very.. steady. WoW for me was the worst example of MMO community while TSW (The Secret World) and FF14 community have been the best.

The games that require you make friends always have a tighter community. Though the population maybe smaller they are usually a better experience
    Options
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's chaotic good.
    Options
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rarely pay attention to chat. I can talk for free elsewhere. In ESO I prefer to spend my time playing stories.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, then I got the ESO on my hard drive...
    Options
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK. I've played a lot of MMOS - most pvp oriented - and the Cyro zone chats are some of the most toxic i have seen (especially during peak hours). Most of the time I don't even bother to have the chat window open anymore except when looking for or making call outs.

Regular zone was okay, but it's getting much worse. Last night I was hanging out at the undaunted enclave in Grahtwood and someone simple asked in zone if anyone wanted to run vet pledges. The immediate response by some lovely individual [sarcasm] was to say "Only if you want to suck my ****."

I responded by reporting said lovely human, and after calling out the behavior in zone was than continually harassed to the point where I just left zone.

Like why? Why treat your fellow nerds like this? I don't get it. I just can't see the point in humaning like this. And I don't want to make it about gender, but I'd place good money that most of it comes from dudebruhs.

But my sister informed me last night that the Rules of Conduct have been updated to include making this type of behavior/speach bannable. So personally, I'm going to continue to call it out and report it. It's bad enough that we women (that anyone really) needs to tolerate BS like this all day long irl. I for one am not going to stand for it in a game.

We need to be better to each other.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    Options
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay out of PvP and trials and your fine, also don't mention anything political in zone chat. e

See. This kind of response right here. NO. Absolutely not. I - and many others who behave like decent human beings - pay for this game. Why should the vast majority of us have to limit the areas of the game we purchased and get billed for monthly, because some maladjusted arse wants to get their kicks? No. Just no.

I have a better idea. Report them - because there is a Code of Conduct in place saying this behavior is NOT allowed - and start cleaning up the community. Punish the people who create the problem, not the players who are being insulted/harasses/threatened etc.

Edited by mayasunrising on June 4, 2019 6:06PM
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    Options
  • Fivefivesix
    Fivefivesix
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my interactions in game have been very friendly.
    United we stand, divided we fall.
    Options
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe best community and best mmo but the worst support.
    Options
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We're a bunch of flawed humans, so there is no real answer here.

I'm friendly or unfriendly, depending on my mood and the person I'm faced with. If you're cool, chances are that I'll be cool and will come across as a friendly person. If you're trolling or being a pompous butthole, I'm probably going to be less than friendly back, if I don't just outright ignore you. If you're being overly needy and demanding of my time and energy, I'll probably come across as dismissive and cold while I try to break free from your clingy, sticky, thirsty clutches.

How this community as a whole behaves is all up to you. If it seems like everyone is rude, it might be time to turn your perception back on yourself.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
    Options
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you don't duel, PvP or wipe, everyone can be so nice lol

😂😂😂😂😂😂true haha
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm part of many gaming communities, and this is one of the worst.
    Options
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found almost everyone to be very friendly. The only issues I've had were with the refugees of a certain game because they're used to such a toxic player base they came in with that attitude.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
    Options
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majority are friendly imo every game will have some toxic players
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've generally had negative interactions with groups of people.

I've met some good folk, definitely, and I am in some guilds that have some quite decent individuals. Outside if that however.... It's bad experiences.
    Options
  • Bealeb319
    Bealeb319
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the game and play it but the community is fairly toxic and highly immature imo it is one of the worst from an mmo that I have seen. I play on ps4 so don't really want to speak for pc or Xbox 1.
    Options
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kinda in the middle. Even the forums aren't that bad if you stop paying attention to certain posters. I've experienced better communities (GW2, SWL) and utter dumpster fires (Path of Exile, SWTOR). Like in most things, the majority of people are just chilling and minding their own business, while the 5-10% of aholes just want to watch the world burn.
    Options
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay out of PvP and trials and your fine, also don't mention anything political in zone chat. e

See. This kind of response right here. NO. Absolutely not. I - and many others who behave like decent human beings - pay for this game. Why should the vast majority of us have to limit the areas of the game we purchased and get billed for monthly, because some maladjusted arse wants to get their kicks? No. Just no.

I have a better idea. Report them - because there is a Code of Conduct in place saying this behavior is NOT allowed - and start cleaning up the community. Punish the people who create the problem, not the players who are being insulted/harasses/threatened etc.

I read his statement or comment as sarcasm, in a good way. I personally read it that yes there are toxic people in pvp and trials but I don't think he is saying not to participate. It was more of an expression of frustration. Or am i wrong to interpret comment as i have. And I read response in a good way too. We shouldn't have to out up with the harrassment etc in a game that is meant to be fun and entertaining. These 2 comments are very strong...i totally agree with both of you.😊😊😊
    Edited by wishlist14 on June 6, 2019 7:43AM
    Options
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of subcommunities in this game... some people are toxic and others are not
    Edited by _Ahala_ on June 5, 2019 8:14AM
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS meta forum warriors.
    Blinded, biased not caring about other roles (tank & healer) and aspects of the game, severely lacking an objective point of view.
    (Probably generalizing a little bit, but those are just my observations).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on June 5, 2019 8:28AM
    Options